Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars 1313 Details

The new episode of GameTrailers TV is online, featuring the Star Wars 1313 announcement that was leaked last night. Kicking off next week's E3 with a show 3000 miles away in New York GTTV introduces us to this new Star Wars franchise host Geoff Keighley calls a "massive new project." True to speculation based on the title, Star Wars 1313 allows players to act as a bounty hunter in 1313, an area of the planet Coruscant which creative director Dominic Robillard describes as "the most dangerous place in the galaxy," as it is apparently a wretched hive of scum and villainy that makes Mos Eisley look like a chain restaurant. They aren't prepared to discuss details about the character the player will take on, but discuss the game's setting and its third-person perspective but focuses more on technical tidbits like advanced facial animations, advanced lighting techniques. They promise the premiere of the first gameplay footage from the game on Monday night.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 4, 2012, 06:06 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 19:47:
TFU being "good" is a bit of a stretch. It was mediocre at best. The PC port was downright awful. TFU2 was awful as well.

Hey look! Opinions!

The side-missions were literally the exact same thing over and over. "Go destroy this truck caravan" or "go kill this dude." There are only so many ways you can go about completing the exact same missions over and over. The stealth mechanics are pretty half-assed and there's no diplomacy route, so your choices basically boil down to what weapons you use. Not exactly a lot of interesting choice there.

And everything in Crysis was "get to X" or "destroy x." The key to having fun in both games was to vary weapons, tactics and approaches to change things up. This is no less possible in FC2. My favorite moments in that game were when I played the sniper and cleared an area before I even went near it, yet I also ran in guns blazing sometimes, or used vehicles, or set traps, or threw grenades, or whatever. All of stuff we have done for 20 years now, sure, but if that turns you off you might want to change hobbies.

I'm not really trying to defend FC2 (or TFU for that matter) but both are good games with flaws. I tend to like good games despite a couple flaws, unlike you and many others here who seem to write a game off for any annoyance.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 3, 2012, 19:47 Jerykk

TFU1 was good... before that there are literally dozens of amazing LA games... this is likely a very different team... there is no reason to assume the worst, other than being a downer.

TFU being "good" is a bit of a stretch. It was mediocre at best. The PC port was downright awful. TFU2 was awful as well. And when I mention LucasArts, I'm talking about their internal dev studio, not the games they outsourced. While there have been a lot of good outsourced Star Wars games, the last time LucasArts' internal team made a good game was Jedi Knight in the 90's.

Also to say every mission was the same is to reveal you didn't change tactics, similar to people who say Crysis was boring. You have to make your own fun in any open world game, to some extent.

The side-missions were literally the exact same thing over and over. "Go destroy this truck caravan" or "go kill this dude." There are only so many ways you can go about completing the exact same missions over and over. The stealth mechanics are pretty half-assed and there's no diplomacy route, so your choices basically boil down to what weapons you use. Not exactly a lot of interesting choice there.

41. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 3, 2012, 04:51 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 01:27:
LucasArts hasn't released a good game in years and Star Wars has been thoroughly milked. I think those are pretty decent reasons to be negative.

Saying they haven't released a good game in years isn't really saying much when they have barely released any at all, and have aimed at a much different market than this game will.

TFU1 was good... before that there are literally dozens of amazing LA games... this is likely a very different team... there is no reason to assume the worst, other than being a downer.

Far Cry 2 had some cool ideas but the execution was pretty terrible. There were also a lot of design choices that were just outright retarded. Who thought it was a good idea to instantly respawn enemies as soon as you leave an area? Who thought it was a good idea to force the player to regularly take malaria pills? Who thought it was a good idea to have extremely generic side-missions where you literally do the exact same thing over and over? Having potential alone doesn't make for a great game. You actually have to deliver on that potential.

It was a flawed game, but not as bad as you make it sound, and it reviewed well. I disliked the constant enemies due to respawning, but the malaria mechanic was cool IMO, made those pill-hunting missions feel desperate. Also to say every mission was the same is to reveal you didn't change tactics, similar to people who say Crysis was boring. You have to make your own fun in any open world game, to some extent.

40. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 3, 2012, 01:27 Jerykk

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 16:14:
Verno wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 14:32:
I really liked The Force Unleashed for what it was (played it on the consoles) but I can see why people are skeptical since good SW games are pretty rare these days.

There is definitely reason to be skeptical, I just don't think there is a reason already to be resoundingly negative.

LucasArts hasn't released a good game in years and Star Wars has been thoroughly milked. I think those are pretty decent reasons to be negative.

It's entirely possible that the game will be awesome but we don't really have any reason to expect that based on LucasArt's recent history.

That's a reason to be more interested... flawed as Far Cry 2 was, it was still a great game at heart.

Far Cry 2 had some cool ideas but the execution was pretty terrible. There were also a lot of design choices that were just outright retarded. Who thought it was a good idea to instantly respawn enemies as soon as you leave an area? Who thought it was a good idea to force the player to regularly take malaria pills? Who thought it was a good idea to have extremely generic side-missions where you literally do the exact same thing over and over? Having potential alone doesn't make for a great game. You actually have to deliver on that potential.

39. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 2, 2012, 11:19 StingingVelvet

noman wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 21:09:
Clint Hocking, the lead designer of Far Cry 2, joined LucasArts last year and has been working on an unannounced title. I hope Star Wars 1313 turns out to be that project. Could be a very good game.

That's a reason to be more interested... flawed as Far Cry 2 was, it was still a great game at heart.

38. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 2, 2012, 04:09 Jackplug

Wildone wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 23:37:
they lost me at '3rd person'

Lost me too. You have to remember that its LucasArts making this and it be a bag of shit like all starwars games are

37. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 23:37 Wildone

they lost me at '3rd person'  

36. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 22:59 Silicon Avatar

The Pod Racer game was actually pretty good and I'd sort of like to have a sequel to it. As racing games went I liked it. It just suffered from some game balance problems (once you got your pod upgraded it was hard to lose) and a lack of tracks.  

35. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 21:09 noman

Clint Hocking, the lead designer of Far Cry 2, joined LucasArts last year and has been working on an unannounced title. I hope Star Wars 1313 turns out to be that project. Could be a very good game.  

34. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 20:10 Orogogus

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 19:51:
The "other" properties (i.e. the classic games like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, et al.) were definitely the product of the creative minds at early LucasArts, and not Lucas himself. Ever since then, LucasArts has been almost solely focused on Star Wars properties... in other words, Lucas' stuff (I wonder if the studio got "purged" the same way Lucas canned the employee who told him that Jar Jar Binks was going to be a flop). And since the focus on Star Wars, the only good games have been (generally) related to or in the same style as the original trilogy (X-Wing, Lego, KOTOR, etc.). I stand by my point...

Well, again, I don't think Lucas has anything to do with this new game at all. I don't think he's ever had anything to do with the video games. So his name's basically irrelevant here.

And insofar as you're lumping in the Lego games and KOTOR in with the old trilogy, it seems to me that your definitions are extremely elastic. The first Lego Star Wars was totally a prequel game, and so was the third. The Pod Racer game was fairly well received, as was Republic Commando. I thought the Force Unleashed was pretty terrible, but it's an original trilogy game as much as a prequel one. But if your definition is that anything good is original trilogy style, and therefore the original trilogy is good... well, it's hard to argue out of a circular reasoning loop.

33. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 19:51 NegaDeath

He spent a lot of time improving entertainment tech too. Industrial Light and Magic, THX, etc.

I question his current movie making abilities but let's not ignore what he's done for the entertainment industry.

32. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 19:51 Eirikrautha

Orogogus wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 19:36:
It's hard to tell where you're conflating George Lucas and LucasArts (for example, I don't think George Lucas has anything to do with this game), but LucasArts has certainly come up with a ton of other good ideas since Star Wars. Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Outlaws, Maniac Mansion & DOTT, the non-terrible Star Wars games, etc.

As for Lucas himself, I guess Indiana Jones used to be okay.

The "other" properties (i.e. the classic games like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, et al.) were definitely the product of the creative minds at early LucasArts, and not Lucas himself. Ever since then, LucasArts has been almost solely focused on Star Wars properties... in other words, Lucas' stuff (I wonder if the studio got "purged" the same way Lucas canned the employee who told him that Jar Jar Binks was going to be a flop). And since the focus on Star Wars, the only good games have been (generally) related to or in the same style as the original trilogy (X-Wing, Lego, KOTOR, etc.). I stand by my point...

31. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 19:36 Orogogus

It's hard to tell where you're conflating George Lucas and LucasArts (for example, I don't think George Lucas has anything to do with this game), but LucasArts has certainly come up with a ton of other good ideas since Star Wars. Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Outlaws, Maniac Mansion & DOTT, the non-terrible Star Wars games, etc.

As for Lucas himself, I guess Indiana Jones used to be okay.

30. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 19:25 Eirikrautha

So it's official. George Lucas had ONE good idea 30+ years ago (cribbed from Akira Kurosawa and filtered through the genius of Joseph Campbell). Since then, he has had the resources of an entire company, with the ability to hire as much creative genius as he could ever desire... and he's come up with NOTHING decent since the first trilogy. Nothing!

I mean, this is the BEST LucasArts can do?!?! Really??!? Wall

29. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 19:19 Elf Shot The Food

There have been plenty of bad Star Wars games, even back in the "glory days" when they were making good ones. Remember Force Commander?

And what's with the game not being "dark" enough? Since when has Star Wars been a dark franchise?

Also, Boba Fett is the most overrated character in Star Wars canon. Hopefully this game won't feature him.

28. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 19:17 The Half Elf

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 10:34:
Oh look, negativity based on hardly anything. What a shocker.

I hope this is confirmed for PC. I love the idea of a darker bounty hunter game. Star Wars can be awesome when it's done right.

The only good games to come from LucasArts lately have been the Lego series, Republic Commando, and Battlefront 1.

The biggest 'sell' for me in Force Unleashed was ripping a Star Destroyer out of the sky and crashing it (which was shown in the trailers), the eventuality of it was throwing in wave after wave of crappy Tie Fighters.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

27. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 17:38 Trevellian

Iridium wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 12:45:
Blah blah blah Arkham Asylum clone with Boba Fett and less compelling villains.

In fact the ONLY way I would buy this game, is if it was Arkham City with Boba Fett. The problem is Rocksteady isn't making it, so it won't be that.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

26. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 16:14 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 14:32:
I really liked The Force Unleashed for what it was (played it on the consoles) but I can see why people are skeptical since good SW games are pretty rare these days.

There is definitely reason to be skeptical, I just don't think there is a reason already to be resoundingly negative.

25. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 14:54 briktal

Darks wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 11:20:
Tumbler wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 10:19:
Maybe this will surprise us like prey 2 did...hahah haahhaha...ah no.

Yea and look where Prey 2 is at now. Not finished and its status unknown.

The problem with this game is that itís going to be on the Xbox, so it will be pg13. They wonít be allowed to make it as dark as we would like for it to be. So it will ultimately end up being an epic fail.

Most big "action" AAA games are M rated, unlike movies which aim for PG-13.

24. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 14:32 Verno

I really liked The Force Unleashed for what it was (played it on the consoles) but I can see why people are skeptical since good SW games are pretty rare these days. I mean look at your own example, LucasArts basically killed the sequel to TFU by messing with the budget despite TFU being massively successful for them. Many people harkened it as a return to form for LA but they then took a dump all over it.

Anyway it'll be interesting to see what they have in mind at E3.

Back before LucasArts started fucking up with Galaxies and Force Unleashed, SW games were very well received, and it had pretty much the best hit to miss ratio of any gaming franchise based on a movie/TV license.

Yeah, your list brought back a lot of memories of stuff I had forgotten. Fair points man, thanks.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2012, 14:43.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo