Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Game Reviews Jun 4, 2012, 09:38 Beamer

Orogogus wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 00:43:
mag wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 00:07:
He spends a lot more time complaining about all of the things that are wrong with the game than he does good things. "The loot sucks, the game is boring, it's far too easy, the story is awful, the online-only thing has done nothing good for me, I don't like the leveling system, but... but... it's pretty. And I like clicking on things. And I'm sure it'll get better!"

That's a verbatim quote. You should read before you post.

I can say without hyperbole that the use of "verbatim" in that sentence is literally a million times worse than the Holocaust.

It's one of those "can't tell if he's serious" moments. Maybe he doesn't know what verbatim means. Or maybe he doesn't know what these direct quotes from the review mean:

-Diablo III is a pretty game
-the sound design is fantastic with punchy, piercing sound effects and gross, mushy sounds of stuff dying
-the killing-guys experience is primo stuff. Any single attack in the game hits with a fierceness that redefines the “A” in “ARPG.” Perhaps… mega-action would be more apt for Diablo III. The spick and span polish gone into this MARPG’s clickity-click-clickness is undeniable. Even destroying physical props, like tables and bookshelves, results in a stupid amount of catharsis.
-The best part is there’s practically a kajillion ways to go from zero to kill.
-There’s a massive amount of potential that can result in some incredibly unique builds.

You have to be somewhat idiotic, or "herpaderp"ish to not be able to read that review and realize the guy was severely disappointed by the Diablo experience but had a whole lot of fun playing the game. A 7/10 feels about right. He loved the combat and basic gameplay. He hated that it fell so far from the greatness of the Diablo 1/2 shadow.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Game Reviews Jun 4, 2012, 08:39 nin

Kosumo wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 18:42:
Why did you buy it then?

?
How else was I supposed to play it?

Some of us were passing out guest passes when it launched.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: Game Reviews Jun 4, 2012, 00:43 Orogogus

mag wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 00:07:
He spends a lot more time complaining about all of the things that are wrong with the game than he does good things. "The loot sucks, the game is boring, it's far too easy, the story is awful, the online-only thing has done nothing good for me, I don't like the leveling system, but... but... it's pretty. And I like clicking on things. And I'm sure it'll get better!"

I can say without hyperbole that the use of "verbatim" in that sentence is literally a million times worse than the Holocaust.

24. Re: Game Reviews Jun 4, 2012, 00:07 mag

Beamer wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 11:03:
Herpaderpa dumbdumbdumb

23. Re: Game Reviews Jun 3, 2012, 15:55 siapnar

Kosumo wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 18:42:
Why did you buy it then?
?
How else was I supposed to play it?

Dades wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 16:38:
I saw on Giantbomb that Blizzard is giving refunds if you're within the first 30 days of purchase. Just email or phone billing, link is available through your battle.net account.
Thanks again Dades

I have projectile dysfunction.

22. Re: Game Reviews Jun 2, 2012, 11:03 Beamer

mag wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 00:18:
What?

"It’s kind of hilarious from just how outrageously bad it is.

7/10"

This is the type of cherry picking that people mock movie companies will do, like if I say "mag is such a good poster if you want to see examples of missing the point" (don't take this personally, just using you because I quoted you) and you put as your signature "According to Beamer: 'mag is such a good poster.'"

You probably are.

Anyway, he is saying it's kind of hilarious how outrageously bad the story is. Not the game. You pick a quote making it seem like "it" is "Diablo III," but that's not what the review is saying, at all.

Here's the true 7/10 quote: "It’s a fun game that takes too long to get going anywhere, but its combat is so slick and refined that everything else around needs to step up to that level of quality. The universe of Diablo is most certainly destroyed, but the game is far from it."

-------------

21. Re: Game Reviews Jun 2, 2012, 00:18 mag

What?

"It’s kind of hilarious from just how outrageously bad it is.

7/10"

20. Re: your name is toby, boy Jun 1, 2012, 22:51 space captain

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 21:23:
I don't know, I have over a hundred hours logged in to it and still enjoy playing it in spite of some of the glaring issues but I guess I'm not suppose to be having fun.

I'm such an prick!

here is a hint: you arent really that important

you can play whatever games you want... you arent in control of the fate of the world, and neither are the "HATERS!!!" ... sorry

Go forth, and kill!

19. waaah! Jun 1, 2012, 22:47 space captain

hahahahahahahahaha  
Go forth, and kill!

18. Re: Game Reviews Jun 1, 2012, 21:26 JaguarUSF

Quboid wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 15:25:
In fact, I'm not sure he can even count that high

Anything above "8" is infinity.

17. Re: your name is toby, boy Jun 1, 2012, 21:23 Wallshadows

Kastagir wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 19:35:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 14:15:
space captain wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 11:51:
have even less interest in the new diablo than the former ones, which was very low already

at least the kiddies are happy

Yet you feel the need to constantly go into the threads and talk about it....weird. There is a medical/mental health definition for that.

So many more people come to every D3 forum and complain about what Blizzard is doing or has done to the game. They miss the point that they already gave Blizzard their money, so what they say now is irrelevant. The only way you can send Blizzard the message is to not buy the product in the first place. Everyone else is just enabling it to continue its practices. As far as I'm concerned, anyone with the impulse control to not buy D3 is doing the game industry a service.

I don't know, I have over a hundred hours logged in to it and still enjoy playing it in spite of some of the glaring issues but I guess I'm not suppose to be having fun.

I'm such an prick!

16. Re: your name is toby, boy Jun 1, 2012, 19:35 Kastagir

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 14:15:
space captain wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 11:51:
have even less interest in the new diablo than the former ones, which was very low already

at least the kiddies are happy

Yet you feel the need to constantly go into the threads and talk about it....weird. There is a medical/mental health definition for that.

So many more people come to every D3 forum and complain about what Blizzard is doing or has done to the game. They miss the point that they already gave Blizzard their money, so what they say now is irrelevant. The only way you can send Blizzard the message is to not buy the product in the first place. Everyone else is just enabling it to continue its practices. As far as I'm concerned, anyone with the impulse control to not buy D3 is doing the game industry a service.

15. Re: Game Reviews Jun 1, 2012, 18:42 Kosumo

siapnar wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 16:08:
Is there any way to sell the digital copy of the game?

I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Diablo 3.

Why did you buy it then?

And is it true JaguarUSF, that their maybe budget cut's at "out of 8" and it may become "out of 2"?

14. removed Jun 1, 2012, 17:08 space captain

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 1, 2012, 22:27.

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Game Reviews Jun 1, 2012, 16:38 Dades

siapnar wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 16:08:

I saw on Giantbomb that Blizzard is giving refunds if you're within the first 30 days of purchase. Just email or phone billing, link is available through your battle.net account.

12. Re: Game Reviews Jun 1, 2012, 16:08 siapnar

I have projectile dysfunction.

11. Re: Game Reviews Jun 1, 2012, 15:25 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 14:55:
JaguarUSF wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 14:41:
Beamer wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 14:25:
Show me one professional review that gives this a 0.

On a ten point scale,

(Professional review score) - 5 = User review score

Yup, but there are nearly 1000 (maybe more by now) 0s on Metacritic. Those are not rational, honest reviews. Those are idiots.

There are probably a similar number of 10s. I am perfectly willing to believe someone thinks this game is incredible. No way people think it's meritless. Even still, most of those 10s are not rational, honest reviews.

Don't trust Jaguar, he knows nothing about 10 point scales. In fact, I'm not sure he can even count that high

- Quboid

10. Re: Game Reviews Jun 1, 2012, 14:55 Beamer

JaguarUSF wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 14:41:

On a ten point scale,

Yup, but there are nearly 1000 (maybe more by now) 0s on Metacritic. Those are not rational, honest reviews. Those are idiots.

There are probably a similar number of 10s. I am perfectly willing to believe someone thinks this game is incredible. No way people think it's meritless. Even still, most of those 10s are not rational, honest reviews.

-------------

9. Re: Game Reviews Jun 1, 2012, 14:41 JaguarUSF

On a ten point scale,

8. Re: Game Reviews Jun 1, 2012, 14:25 Beamer

Acleacius wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 11:53:
Guess all those User reviewers on Metacritic weren't so much haters as they are truthers.

No, still haters. Show me one professional review that gives this a 0. Even the CPUGamer and Yahtzee reviews find some value.

Still haters.

That said, this review basically says what I suspect about the game, and combined with Yahtzee's comments about it not really being random but being the same set pieces organized differently I don't think I'm in a rush. The lack of ambiance and personality WAS the ambiance and personality of the original (the Butcher was creepy as hell because it was just this giant, hard to kill guy with a butcher knife), and randomization is what makes it fun to go back through.

Plus... 10 hours before it gets hard? I'm kind of of the belief that an entire run-through should be 10 hours. I think Diablo 2 was too long. I enjoy the variety, but when the game is that long I'm less likely to play back through it, and given that it's a game that is more fun on further play-throughs, I kind of would have enjoyed if you got to Hell sooner, but there were different paths (in other words, maybe you go through the desert on one playthrough, maybe instead you do the swamp on another, etc.) I feel like I did the first world in Diablo 2 a billion times, like I did Hell half a billion times, but I did the levels between maybe twice.

-------------

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo