Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Activision and Infinity Ward Settle

Activision and Infinity Ward have settled their legal dispute, reports Ars Technica, where they point the way to this tweet from Ben Fritz which reads: "'all parties have reached a settlement in the dispute, the terms of which are strictly confidential' is the agreed upon party line quote." They also note this tweet from The Verge's Mike McWhertor says "'No comment' from Jason West and his attorney on settlement as we leave courtroom. Just a beaming smile." This litigation surrounded the departure of Infinity Ward founders West and Vince Zampella from Activision, Call of Duty bonuses, accusations of poaching, and more. Now after the suits and countersuits, it appears this matter has been settled out of court.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle Jun 1, 2012, 15:28 RollinThundr

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 09:18:
Good for them. They worked on a product and didn't get their royalties/bonuses. Would have been absurd had they not been paid out. To bad it isn't public info - would have loved to be in that courtroom.

Basically when it came time to pay them what they were owed in their contract, Bobby didn't want to and cooked up a way to try to fire them unjustly to get out of it.

What gets me about Kotick, I heard a story a few years back that years ago, he was out to dinner with the owners of Davidson & Associates, who at the time had just purchased Blizzard. Bobby goes to them, why would you want to risk big money buying an unproven developer like them? Fast forward to now and gee, who owns Blizzard? Small world I tell ya.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle Jun 1, 2012, 09:18 xXBatmanXx

Good for them. They worked on a product and didn't get their royalties/bonuses. Would have been absurd had they not been paid out. To bad it isn't public info - would have loved to be in that courtroom.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

15. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle Jun 1, 2012, 04:57 jdreyer

jomisab wrote on May 31, 2012, 23:07:
Damn, I was really looking forward to Call of Jury Duty.

I see what you did there.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

14. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle Jun 1, 2012, 02:34 Nucas

Tumbler wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 00:19:
I'm guessing stock holders are not going to turn a blind eye to this stupidity. Ah man, was worth a try, I mean we almost screwed those guys and got to keep all this money right? And now we don't have a talented studio in IW anymore...so that kind of sucks....but this is how you get shit down. This is video games. Let's go try and fire those lazy fucks at blizzard now!

i would honestly like to know how well informed the stockholders in a video game publisher actually are.

13. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle Jun 1, 2012, 02:00 Cutter

Nothing's going to happen to Kodick so long as Call of Doody and Blizzard games continue to sell big.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle Jun 1, 2012, 00:19 Tumbler

It will be interesting to see what happens internally at Activision. The bits and pieces we're hearing have not made the CEO of Activision look like the professional you want running that company. The countersuit they tossed at EA claiming money lost from the loss of Infinity Ward staff was basically them saying how much money they lost by making this change. Add that to the settlement and something is going to happen internally.

I'm guessing stock holders are not going to turn a blind eye to this stupidity. Ah man, was worth a try, I mean we almost screwed those guys and got to keep all this money right? And now we don't have a talented studio in IW anymore...so that kind of sucks....but this is how you get shit down. This is video games. Let's go try and fire those lazy fucks at blizzard now!

I'm hoping we'll see Kotick step down at very least if not be publically "forced to resign". Hopefully the stock price will get hammered in the process. They might have another year still until the shit hits he fan because there doesn't seem to much to compete with against Blops 2 but come 2013 I don't think they're looking good. Respawn will hopefully have something by that time and who knows maybe medal of honor will finally find it's feet.

I guess we'll see what everyone has planned at E3.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

11. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle May 31, 2012, 23:07 jomisab

Damn, I was really looking forward to Call of Jury Duty.  

10. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle May 31, 2012, 22:49 deqer

"beaming smile."

lol

9. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle May 31, 2012, 22:26 Dev

ASeven wrote on May 31, 2012, 22:17:
Ah damn, I was so looking forward to all the juicy details that would come out from this trial.
And thats probably a big reason to settle. That and I bet the jury would have decided that activision really did owe the money they promised to pay. Activision already caved on a big portion of the money they paid up on a couple weeks ago.

8. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle May 31, 2012, 22:17 ASeven

Ah damn, I was so looking forward to all the juicy details that would come out from this trial.  

7. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle May 31, 2012, 21:44 jdreyer

And the winner is...

The lawyers. Greedy

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle May 31, 2012, 21:30 Veterator

Without being public record, it means they can continue to attempt to rip off employees against their agreements.

Because no one is going to know exactly what it took to prove the case or make them pay up.

Shouldn't be allowed to dismiss employment related non-payment disputes, because it lets the companies continue.

5. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle May 31, 2012, 21:23 The Half Elf

The Half Elf wrote on May 31, 2012, 21:22:
nin wrote on May 31, 2012, 21:03:
There ya have it, folks! Bobby K got bent over the table!

Ok THIS is when we Anon to hack the court system and put the settlement on the internet. I WANT TO KNOW!

One other question is, did West and Zampella get the Modern Warfare name as well?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle May 31, 2012, 21:22 The Half Elf

nin wrote on May 31, 2012, 21:03:

Ok THIS is when we Anon to hack the court system and put the settlement on the internet. I WANT TO KNOW!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle May 31, 2012, 21:21 Acleacius

Good news, now if kotick was kicked out of the video games industry forever, the world would be a better place.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

2. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle May 31, 2012, 21:13 panbient

Bet Activision is just wishing it paid out that original $36 million instead of whatever settlement makes a $1 000 000 000 claim go away hahahahaha  

1. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle May 31, 2012, 21:03 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo