Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarForge Demo

This trailer shows off the first playable release of StarForge, a procedurally generated indie space game. This Reddit thread introduces the project, and points the way to the StarForge Community fostering discussion of the game. There you can find links to download the first demo version and this post explaining the rough edges of their debut release and how they are being addressed going forward. Thanks Fantaz via NeoGAF.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 11:21 TheFragMan

Dev wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 11:13:
TheFragMan wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 10:38:
Though, no option to invert mouse controls. :<
There's gotta be a windows app that can do that for games that don't (yet?) support it.
You know, I can't beleive I never thought to look for an app like that. I'm sure something like that exists out there somewhere.

- Frag
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 11:13 Dev

TheFragMan wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 10:38:
Tried it yesterday. Pretty impressive so far, and it's still really early in development.

There's gotta be a windows app that can do that for games that don't (yet?) support it.

15. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 11:13 Wowbagger_TIP

That's some of the craziest shit I've seen in a game... ever. Sounds like it may actually have more to do than Minecraft too, which I could never get into. I actually played Terraria a lot longer. I'm sure they could sell a bajillion copies like Minecraft if they want to.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

14. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 10:38 TheFragMan

Tried it yesterday. Pretty impressive so far, and it's still really early in development.

- Frag

13. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 10:17 space captain

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 08:38:
buzzkill begin/
I find it hard to muster any hyperbole about a sandbox title where I move around 3D objects for fun as the second coming of pc gaming.
Maybe I've spent too much time moving around 3D objects in CG apps for a living. Never touched Minecraft or that Gary's mod either.
/end buzzkill

your reductionism is so extreme that it ends up sounding like you dont even know what you are talking about... just making some shit up in your head and then saying "fuck that i dont like it" ...

but... whatever floats your boat

/end logic

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 08:38 Dmitri_M

buzzkill begin/
I find it hard to muster any hyperbole about a sandbox title where I move around 3D objects for fun as the second coming of pc gaming.
Maybe I've spent too much time moving around 3D objects in CG apps for a living. Never touched Minecraft or that Gary's mod either.
/end buzzkill

11. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 07:31 J

So much for PC gaming being dead. There's been more and more good stuff surfacing within the last year? or so, and there seems to be no letting up.

Good times, good times

10. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 07:26 eRe4s3r

Well that is good hear, the game looks pretty kick-ass!  

9. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 04:56 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 03:41:
The question is.. will it be offline SP ? Because if there's 1 thing minecraft taught me, it's that I will never open a sandbox to anyone online I don't know ;p

The commentary over the trailer said they will support both single and multiplayer.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 03:41 eRe4s3r

The question is.. will it be offline SP ? Because if there's 1 thing minecraft taught me, it's that I will never open a sandbox to anyone online I don't know ;p  

7. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 02:48 Rigs

nin wrote on May 31, 2012, 22:37:
Holy shit, where did this come from? Looks AWESOME.

Took the words right outta my mouth....HOLY SHIT!!! And we're not talking Priest or Cardinal shit here, not ah, no sir! We're full-bore POPE SHIT!!

There is only one other game in the whole 27+ years I've been playing PC/console games that ever left me stunned to silence and mouth agape - that was the tech demo running on an HP Pentium2/233 of a game that was soon to be named, 'X: Beyond The Frontier', in 1997! It was in a Circuit City, a few months before getting a brand new P2/400 (on ASUS's legendary P2B motherboard w/Intels 440BX chipset). I liked to pop in there once in a while to see the newer systems but I wasn't prepared to see what I did. I literally couldn't move! I stood there in shocked silence and watched the tech demo run through. Faint My fiance` at the time tried very hard to get me out of the store but I wasn't budging! I still remember like it was yesterday. It's almost comical to watch now, with it's blurry textures and crooked background starfield. Oh, but I was entranced then! Right there, that day, I promised myself I would find out what that demo was for and get a system that could run it full bore. Two years later, in early 2000, after wearing out the demo, I finally had the full version box in my hands and I was in heaven! PURE BLISS! It wasn't perfect, but it was good enough, and I've been with the series, on it's beta teams and getting every version that comes out...

But now, my god! NOW, there's something that even I dare say X: REBIRTH can't even touch! This game, when playable (almost like it took a page out of the tech demo handbook, it's very difficult to get running correctly at any decent FPS), gives me that same rush I've been without for so many years! This trailer blew me away, it showed everything I ever wanted in a Minecraft/X/HALO/RedFaction type of game! All of those games and then some! Accurate physics! Freedom to go anywhere! Do anything! Seriously, this is what a lot of us have been waiting for, this is the leap the genre needed...and just like before - it came out of NOWHERE! God, I fucking love it when that happens! Woohoo

This thing just oozes potential from every pore! If any dev group deserved a Kickstarter, it's these guys. This thing isn't some re-boot or rehash of the same ground, or a re-do of an earlier game. This thing is unique, a combination of many games and genres and it needs to be supported and the higher-ups out there in publisher land need to be shown what we want to see! More like this please! BLOW MY @#$% MIND! PLEASE!!! Please

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2012, 02:55.

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

6. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 02:25 yuastnav

ASeven wrote on May 31, 2012, 22:17:
Very impressive indeed and it's free.

Well, it's F2P. Apparently you can buy "hatch points" or something like that and they are much less expensive while the game is still in early alpha but it was impossible to get a look at the site yesterday because the servers were almost dead.
Was lucky enough to get the torrent file and download the game.

5. Re: StarForge Demo May 31, 2012, 22:37 nin

Holy shit, where did this come from? Looks AWESOME.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: StarForge Demo May 31, 2012, 22:17 ASeven

Very impressive indeed and it's free.  

3. Re: StarForge Demo May 31, 2012, 22:08 Cutter

Yeah, pretty damn impressive. I hope it does well for them. I'm eager to try it out. Plenty of posssibilities with a game like this.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

2. Re: StarForge Demo May 31, 2012, 21:53 jdreyer

Holy shit is that cool.

I love minecraft, but I always wished it was more realistic looking than 8-bit graphics. This looks like it scratches that itch.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

1. Re: StarForge Demo May 31, 2012, 21:27 space captain

impressive  
Go forth, and kill!

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo