Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
14. Re: etc., etc. Jun 1, 2012, 11:25 UnderDown

Rattlehead wrote on May 31, 2012, 21:54:
Ah this again...people that buy the game but still complain about the DRM even though it was announced months before release.

Strange how the people with a spotty internet connection can stay online all day QQing about the DRM.

Sigh
Point one: Ubisoft had always-online DRM but that didn't mean that all game data & gameplay were server side & latency affected. I find it amazing how many people still. don't. understand. the. difference. Many people didn't know that 'always online' meant "the game is effectively a 4 person MMO with auction house" (a client-server model for game play, which is different from the 'always online' account authentication).

Point 2: You do realise that browsing the internet is perfectly doable with a less than stellar internet connection with high latency, but playing an action-RPG like diablo as an MMO is not?

This has meant many people who loved diablo & similar games like titan quest either cannot play, or get a poorer and often frustrating gameplay experience. This game does not need internet multiplayer.

The fact is, a game that is perfectly suited to an offline experience Blizzard has chosen to make online server-client only for one reason: RMAH revenue stream. They need the best protection they have for their baby, which is them controlling all game data. They even went a step further and made buying equipment from auction house almost necessary for the higher difficulties for all but the most grind-happy hardcore players.

I would bet that the majority of Diablo 3 players really only want to play single player & LAN/friend style co-op, and don't really care about the ease of random co-op play & the auction house. These are people who don't spend their time on gaming news sites and forums.

For those who bring up the hacking issue - well that is Blizzard's problem. I didn't have any hacking/duping problems in Diablo, titan quest or dungeon siege because I only played single player & LAN, not with random strangers.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. May 31, 21:54 Re: etc., etc. Rattlehead
  2. May 31, 22:03  Re: etc., etc. jdreyer
  3. May 31, 22:11  Re: etc., etc. Prez
  6. May 31, 22:54   Re: etc., etc. Dades
  10. Jun 1, 04:39   Re: etc., etc. jdreyer
  4. May 31, 22:22  Re: etc., etc. The Half Elf
  7. May 31, 23:05  Re: etc., etc. Dirwulf
  11. Jun 1, 05:54  Re: etc., etc. Luke
>> 14. Jun 1, 11:25  Re: etc., etc. UnderDown
  15. Jun 1, 11:50   Re: etc., etc. Orogogus