Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week?

EA tweets a confirmation of indications of plans for Battlefield 3 Premium, saying more details are coming on June 4th. No need to wait, however, as BF3Blog has details, saying this will include the all the previous and upcoming DLC for the military shooter sequel as well as new maps, weapons, vehicles, and more. According to their fact sheet this will be released on June 4th for USD $50.00.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 31, 2012, 02:01 Bhruic

deqer wrote on May 31, 2012, 00:19:
You're missing the big picture here. The fragmentation is caused by a "movement", and if you're buying DLC then you are not supporting that "movement."

The "movement" is, do not buy DLC.

That's what mod tools and people are for; the people make the new content, not the corporations...

There was a time when a large number of games ended up with expansion packs. No one (or at least very few people) had a problem with expansion packs. They added substantially to the finished product and gave you decent bang for your buck. I remember quite well how substantially the Civ IV expansions changed the game.

DLC, on the other hand, tended to be smaller, almost "mini" expansions that didn't add much, but didn't cost a lot either. However, they tended to be so small as to feel like you were being nickle-and-dimed. From that, DLC morphed into being pretty much all post-release content. Where before you had a "mappack", now you have DLC. Expansion packs are now DLC. Heck, I'm surprised we still have patches rather than DLC.

The problem is (and the thrust of my point is) that all DLC isn't created equal. Some DLC is decent. Some DLC is crap. Some is stuff that should have been in the release. Some is stuff that got worked on extensively post-release. Unfortunately, with the single label of "DLC", it's not easy to separate the good for the bad.

In this case, so far the DLC has been a mappack, which is unimpressive. But if you believe the blog, they'll be coming out with new gamemodes, which could be more substantial. Regardless, the sentiment of "do not buy DLC" is a really poor one. I would say "do not buy crappy DLC". If they come out with something decent, I have no problem with the idea of buying it. Skipping out on Civ IV: Warlords or Civ IV: Beyond the Sword because they were called DLCs rather than expansion packs would have been a really dumb call on my part. If EA can make some DLC for BF3 that's worth getting, I'll look into getting it.

With that said, I have no interest in Close Quarters, so I won't be getting that, and as I already have the Back to Karkand DLC from a pre-order, that's 2/5 of the Premium edition that I've already got, or have no interest in. So it's not worth $50 to me.

edit: I should point out that there are some worrying details from the Premium edition. Such things as "queue priority into servers". Penalizing people for not buying the pack is extremely poor decision making, and hopefully will result in a backlash.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 31, 2012, 00:19 deqer

Nate wrote on May 30, 2012, 23:45:
I think this is a good deal versus buying the DLC seperately. It will also reduce player base fragmentation.
You're missing the big picture here. The fragmentation is caused by a "movement", and if you're buying DLC then you are not supporting that "movement."

The "movement" is, do not buy DLC.

That's what mod tools and people are for; the people make the new content, not the corporations...

30. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 30, 2012, 23:50 Sepharo

I was planning on buying the Armored expansion for big maps and a more BF BF3. Pending reviews I may still do that, I don't need ALL of the DLC, so good deal or not I'll be passing on the Premium.

Unless I'm forgetting one, BC2's Vietnam is the only DLC I've ever bought individually in my life.

29. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 30, 2012, 23:45 Nate

I think this is a good deal versus buying the DLC seperately. It will also reduce player base fragmentation.

Since I lost interest in BF3, doesn't really matter to me though. Perhaps if GW2 or Planetside 2 or the new XCOM weren't coming out.

28. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 30, 2012, 23:36 Jackplug

If it has EA written all over it, its fucked!!  

27. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 30, 2012, 23:17 RailWizard

It's not the cost or the content that bothers me. It's turning the Battlefield franchise into Call of Battledoody. Piece by piece they are trying to emulate what those fuckers did to CoD, despite all the rage and hatred it generates. Simply because they want the mindless zombie crowd in their pocket. This has the work of CEO's all over it. Fuck. that. shit.

No doubt some faggot troll fanboy will apologize for their master yet again...well fuck you too. Look at a game like Arma. Are they catering to the lowest common denominator? Fuck no. Yet they seem to be happy with what they have. This is unchecked greed, plain and simple.

26. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 30, 2012, 23:15 deqer

"Hey guys, we rushed BF3 and you peons bought it! Thanks for funding our continued development on our unfinished product. Now that we got more money, we were able to make more stuff and again charge you $ for it."

"Hey guys, the we need to show more profit soon, so here is some stuff to nickel and dime you with."

25. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 30, 2012, 23:09 Rea1One

DangerDog wrote on May 30, 2012, 22:43:

how do you calculate $120?

They sell for around $15 each

They sell the DLC for $24 here in OZ which yes prices are region locked

so 5 x $24 = $120 USD.

24. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 30, 2012, 22:43 DangerDog

Rea1One wrote on May 30, 2012, 22:21:
I've already got Back To Karkand DLC but this is a pretty worthy deal.

$120 bucks worth of 5 x DLC for only $50 is good.

how do you calculate $120?

They sell for around $15 each

23. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 30, 2012, 22:35 Sepharo

DangerDog wrote on May 30, 2012, 20:59:
Donald Rumsfeld now runs EA/DICE marketing team, so many known unknowns that we just don't know about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiPe1OiKQuk

I'm hardly a fan of Donald Rumsfeld but I hate when his particular statement there gets joked on. It's a real concept and an especially important one when dealing with national security. He didn't falter in his explanation.

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 30, 2012, 22:22 Jivaro

eunichron wrote on May 30, 2012, 22:11:
You guys are so quick to jump on the price... here's some comparison for thought.

The Battlefield 2 booster packs added, in total:

14 new maps
15 new weapons
16 new vehicles
3 new gadgets in Special Forces

Total MSRP for those three was $39.97 ($19.99 for SF, $9.99 each for Euro Force and Armored Fury. So for $10 more you're getting more content, and some bonuses. It's really not that bad of a deal.

For more comparison, Road to Rome and Secret Weapons added;

14 maps
10 weapon
21 vehicles
a handful of gadgets in Secret Weapons

Total MSRP for those two expansions was $38.99.

Your logic requires the belief that the BF2 booster packs were worth 40 bucks. They weren't.

Edit: That goes for the rest of you that keep using the "DLC #456 cost X dollars...so this is a good deal because..." Blah. You are using a logic that dictates that one believe that any of the DLC pricing is reasonable. It isn't. Feel free to feel like you are getting a deal, enjoy the fuck out of it, but you are the reason they keep doing this crap. Overpriced and underwhelming content trickled out to nickel and dime you to death. Once in a while, when they need to boost quarterly numbers in a short period of time, they will throw a bunch of it together and sell it at a discount for a cash influx. Duh. Think about it.

This comment was edited on May 30, 2012, 22:27.

21. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 30, 2012, 22:21 Rea1One

I've already got Back To Karkand DLC but this is a pretty worthy deal.

$120 bucks worth of 5 x DLC for only $50 is good.

20. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 30, 2012, 22:21 jacobvandy

Seriously. How is MORE CONTENT than the base game for LESS MONEY a [comparatively] bad deal in any way, shape, or form? What is wrong with you people?  

19. Re: Steam Bestsellers May 30, 2012, 22:16 [VG]Reagle

http://videosift.com/video/EA-in-a-Nutshell  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

18. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 30, 2012, 22:11 eunichron

You guys are so quick to jump on the price... here's some comparison for thought.

The Battlefield 2 booster packs added, in total:

14 new maps
15 new weapons
16 new vehicles
3 new gadgets in Special Forces

Total MSRP for those three was $39.97 ($19.99 for SF, $9.99 each for Euro Force and Armored Fury. So for $10 more you're getting more content, and some bonuses. It's really not that bad of a deal.

For more comparison, Road to Rome and Secret Weapons added;

14 maps
10 weapon
21 vehicles
a handful of gadgets in Secret Weapons

Total MSRP for those two expansions was $38.99.

This comment was edited on May 30, 2012, 22:17.

17. Re: Steam Bestsellers May 30, 2012, 22:07 StaTik

May I please spend another $50 so I can get owned over and over by aimbots on new maps?
That's the end of bf3 for me. I was over it anyway.

16. Re: Steam Bestsellers May 30, 2012, 21:57 MisterBenn

So will Battlefield 3 threads or Diablo 3 threads be the biggest rage magnets in days to come? This is a brave and ambitious showing by EA but I think that Diablo might still have the advantage!  

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III

15. Re: Steam Bestsellers May 30, 2012, 21:57 Beelzebud

Still 100% Origin Free.  

14. Re: Steam Bestsellers May 30, 2012, 21:27 [VG]Reagle

LEAN OVER AND SPREAD YOUR ASS CHEEKS. EA IS READY TO GET BUSY. (planetside 2)

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

13. Re: Steam Bestsellers May 30, 2012, 21:19 IQ

Is it on steam? Without that origin crap? Then we can talk. Otherwise bye bye.  

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo