Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

Link of the Day: George Lucas: Iím Going to Retire. Thanks Vincero.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Into the Black May 31, 2012, 13:19 Bodolza

Cutter wrote on May 31, 2012, 08:45:
I classify the whole Star Wars genre as B flicks IMO. And Lucas was doing nothing new in utilizing classic mythologies for his work.

You're right. They are B flicks, and they were produced to be that way. Same with Indiana Jones. Lucas has openly, and repeatedly said this. Just as he's repeatedly said that he intentionally took themes from classic mythology.

As for Lucas's hurt feelings, my impression is that the prequels were very much his vision, done the way he wanted. I think he understands what people don't like, but he decided that he didn't want to make what other people wanted - he wanted to make what he wanted. Then a whole bunch of people told him what he liked was crap. At this point, he thinks his taste are completely out-of-line with the majority of the public, so he's giving up on trying to make stuff for them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Into the Black May 31, 2012, 10:01 Quboid

Star Wars 4-6 were decent popcorn flicks, enjoyable fantasy (*not* science fiction by any sane definition), as long as you switched your brain off - or saw them when you were too young to appreciate how bad the acting and dialogue were; how unimaginative the plot is; how stupid some of the situations were - AT-AT walkers, a moon full of teddy bears, teddy bears which beat a supposedly trained, equipped and sober army, etc etc. They looked cool; Solo, Vader, Bobba Fett were suitably badass in a shallow kind of way. Space laser fights, unrealistic but looked cool. Light-sabers, impractical but looked cool. They were enjoyable popcorn fodder, better than the sum of their parts.

Star Wars 1 and 2 were stupid, incoherent, had none of the memorable-if-shallow joy of the originals and rather than looking good for the available special effects, looked horribly fake. I presume Ep. 3 is the same. Their biggest flaw is that the people who were looking forward to seeing them weren't 10 year olds any more.

- Quboid

22. Re: Into the Black May 31, 2012, 09:02 InBlack

Most importantly (to us) Star Wars spawned X-Wing, Tie Fighter & Jedi Knight....  

I have a nifty blue line!

21. Re: Into the Black May 31, 2012, 08:47 Mangrove

killer_roach wrote on May 30, 2012, 21:48:
Lucas: "I'm going to retire."

...and there was much rejoicing.

"NoooooooOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo!"

20. Re: Into the Black May 31, 2012, 08:45 Cutter

InBlack wrote on May 31, 2012, 04:51:
So you think that Star Wars is all dreck, and you also think that the first two weren't bad. Doublespeak?

Apart from being a technological marvel in the 70's I will be the first two admit that they werent that original, but they were well written, decently acted and are probably the finest example of space opera to ever grace the big screen.

People love hero underdog stories, especially if they are epic and feature a princess, a likeable rogue character, a deceptively mysterious villain and a twist or two in the story. This story pushed all these buttons but you gotta give credit where credit is due, someone has to make all this shit work. How many other SF films spawned a franchise this big or sucessful?

Yeah, they weren't bad...as dreck goes. I classify the whole Star Wars genre as B flicks IMO. And Lucas was doing nothing new in utilizing classic mythologies for his work. Lightsabers were a nice invention, I'll give him that.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Into the Black May 31, 2012, 07:56 Zadig

Cutter wrote on May 31, 2012, 01:40:
Dev wrote on May 30, 2012, 21:07:
Thank goodness, perhaps the franchise will improve now, instead of continually dig itself a deeper hole. Also maybe they will let lucasarts do cool star wars games again.

How do you improve on shite? The one and only reason Star Wars ever got as big as it did was because it was a technological marvel in the 70's. It was all dreck. And I love the fact that Alec Guiness was so public about that. I'll admit the original Star Wars and Empire weren't bad, afte that everything else went severly downhill.

And Empire wasn't even directed or written (the screenplay wasn't) by Lucas. So his reputation really just comes from the first one which was astonishing visually compared to things like Star Trek. The story is every bad Bioware game ever made - the chosen one single-handedly defeats the ancient evil that is threatening the universe.

18. Re: Into the Black May 31, 2012, 07:48 Jonjonz

Just love how the 1%, once they have their loot, want to go back to hiding behind the whole starving artist poser routine.

Yea, retire to his garage... you mean his 3 story with built in car elevators with a total of over 3000 square feet garage.

He will make his little films and if his handiwork needs touching up, he can always make a call to ILM to smooth things over. Or perhaps a few post production nips and tucks at the mostly built with public funding (korporate welfare) Presidio factory.

All this posing can't however hide the fact that he has not written anything decent in decades.

17. Re: Into the Black May 31, 2012, 06:32 Steelcamp

Maybe we can now get a new set of SW movies based on sith empire vs galactic republic.  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

16. Re: Into the Black May 31, 2012, 04:51 InBlack

So you think that Star Wars is all dreck, and you also think that the first two weren't bad. Doublespeak?

Apart from being a technological marvel in the 70's I will be the first two admit that they werent that original, but they were well written, decently acted and are probably the finest example of space opera to ever grace the big screen.

People love hero underdog stories, especially if they are epic and feature a princess, a likeable rogue character, a deceptively mysterious villain and a twist or two in the story. This story pushed all these buttons but you gotta give credit where credit is due, someone has to make all this shit work. How many other SF films spawned a franchise this big or sucessful?

I have a nifty blue line!

15. Re: Into the Black May 31, 2012, 01:40 Cutter

Dev wrote on May 30, 2012, 21:07:
Thank goodness, perhaps the franchise will improve now, instead of continually dig itself a deeper hole. Also maybe they will let lucasarts do cool star wars games again.

How do you improve on shite? The one and only reason Star Wars ever got as big as it did was because it was a technological marvel in the 70's. It was all dreck. And I love the fact that Alec Guiness was so public about that. I'll admit the original Star Wars and Empire weren't bad, afte that everything else went severly downhill.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2012, 23:31 TurdFergasun

Pankin wrote on May 30, 2012, 23:04:
Those Red Letter Media critiques (by Plinkett) are surprisingly insightful. And entertaining. Plenty of "Yeah, right?" moments. Must-viewing.

you sir should receive your pizza roll within the fortnight, it shall be sent at once via the noon autogyro.

13. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2012, 23:22 cappy

Maybe he could just...scale back.

Like instead producing or directing movies, he could just write the scripts - and utilize his great ear for invoking memorable dialogue

Either that, or at least grace us with "Howard the Duck 2: Electric Boogaloo" before he throws in the towel completely.

12. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2012, 23:06 Silicon Avatar

He made some good movies. The latest ones haven't been so great. Maybe he will be happier making his "indie" films.

The last 3 SW movies weren't up to par. I guess he doesn't "get" that (which is too bad) but then he doesn't owe anyone anything either.

11. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2012, 23:04 Pankin

Sepharo wrote on May 30, 2012, 22:44:
nin wrote on May 30, 2012, 22:20:
Once again, I'd like to pimp the movie "The People Vs George Lucas". Think it's even on netflix streaming now. Great documentary that fully outlines why people are so angry at him, and even comes to his defense in a few parts.

Also don't forget all of Plinkett's stuff. I've watched those reviews more than the films themselves at this point and they're about the same runtime too. He just recently put one up for IJ4 too.

Those Red Letter Media critiques (by Plinkett) are surprisingly insightful. And entertaining. Plenty of "Yeah, right?" moments. Must-viewing.

10. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2012, 22:44 Sepharo

nin wrote on May 30, 2012, 22:20:
Once again, I'd like to pimp the movie "The People Vs George Lucas". Think it's even on netflix streaming now. Great documentary that fully outlines why people are so angry at him, and even comes to his defense in a few parts.

Also don't forget all of Plinkett's stuff. I've watched those reviews more than the films themselves at this point and they're about the same runtime too. He just recently put one up for IJ4 too.

9. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2012, 22:20 nin

Sepharo wrote on May 30, 2012, 21:54:
He had an interview on the Daily Show when Red Tails was coming out and he basically said the same thing. I kind of felt bad for the guy because he quite seriously and sadly said, "Nope, I'm done after this since everybody hates me and doesn't like my movies."

Stewart acted like he was joking but you could tell he wasn't.

I would feel more sympathy for him, but you get the general impression he doesn't understand why people hate his movies, even though they articulate it quite clearly. He tries to play both sides of the fence, where he's the victim, yet he's done no wrong, either.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2012, 21:55 The Half Elf

killer_roach wrote on May 30, 2012, 21:48:

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in glee and were suddenly happy. I think something amazing has happened.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2012, 21:54 Sepharo

He had an interview on the Daily Show when Red Tails was coming out and he basically said the same thing. I kind of felt bad for the guy because he quite seriously and sadly said, "Nope, I'm done after this since everybody hates me and doesn't like my movies."

Stewart acted like he was joking but you could tell he wasn't.

6. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2012, 21:50 NegaDeath

Little over a decade late but good otherwise. If there's any filmaking talent left in the man it won't show up in star wars.  

5. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2012, 21:48 killer_roach

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo