Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced

CD Project RED officially announces Cyberpunk as the new project they've been teasing, saying this will be a computer role-playing game based on the Cyberpunk pen-and-paper system that "will set new standard in the futuristic RPG genre with an exceptional gaming experience." The game doesn't seem to carry a release date yet, and they say it will be developed by a new team composed of veterans from the Witcher franchise. A second piece of concept art accompanies the announcement, and here it is with the first, and here's word on the game:

During its Summer Conference today, CD Projekt RED Studio announced its currently-in-development triple-A game based on renowned pen-and-paper-RPG designer Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk® system.

At the conference, CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwinski promised players that this game would have all of the hallmarks of the Witcher series that has made the developer so well-known and loved, and even more. Their upcoming RPG will be designed for mature and demanding players who expect to be treated seriously, and the game will be richly detailed, non-linear, and with a complex and gripping story. This much is expected from the talented studio, but the new universe brings with it some new twists in their game design. Players will experience the world through their own, unique characters chosen from different classes – be they blood-thirsty mercenaries or cunning hackers – that they will equip with vast selection of cybernetic implants and deadly weapons. As in the Witcher series, players will face morally ambiguous choices, their actions influencing events in the world at large and the fate of the individuals they encounter.

Original “Cyberpunk” game designer Mike Pondsmith was at hand for the conference in Warsaw, Poland. “For over two decades, I’ve been proud to say that Cyberpunk’s been the gold standard of what it means to be a true cyberpunk game. And it’s been a huge success for me and our many fans, with over 5 million players worldwide. But over all that time we haven’t found the right team to bring our cyberpunk world to full digital life -- until now. CD Projekt Red is the team we’ve been hoping for. Their incredible work on The Witcher and The Witcher 2 shows that they share the same dedication and love of great games that we do at Talsorian. I’m especially stoked that they want our participation in making this game a fantastic project that will live up to everything Cyberpunk fans (old and new) have been waiting for. Trust me -- this game is going to rock,” said “Maxmike” Pondsmith.

This game will be developed by a new team at CD Projekt RED Studio, composed of veterans from the Witcher franchise. The studio will set new standard in the futuristic RPG genre with an exceptional gaming experience. The most important goal for this division is to create a game matching their vision, a game that corresponds to their high production values.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced Jun 1, 2012, 02:19 eRe4s3r

Dmitri_M wrote on May 31, 2012, 16:34:

Saying Deus EX had "huge impact" is just peculiar to me. Are you sitting there oh shucks'ing at the games dialog and the twists and turns of the plot? I liked it, but I don't recall any really awesome standout moments.

To be fair, I left out like the meaning of my post because I was rushing ;p I meant that it had a huge range of topics it touched, many of which are relevant today (that's what I mean with impact) I guess it's badly worded While I am sure it can be done better it is a (sad?) reality that most games don't even reach to Deus EX HR levels anymore.

I guess you could say they didn't go far enough even in DX HR.. but you gotta take what's offered. Especially when nearly everything is crap lately. (Syndicate Remake?)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 20:27 Dmitri_M

I'm currently reading Market Forces. It'd make for a helluva good American Psycho near future sci-fi like Carmageddon film. I picture it shot like Children of Men.
He's even built in the product placement with the crazy armoured BMWs and SAAB cars the execs use to off each other while getting their "promotions".

38. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 20:23 nin

Yeah, it's not the best, but if it gets him press, I'm all for it. He also sold the rights for a movie version of Altered Carbon, but who knows if that will ever happen.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

37. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 20:21 Dmitri_M

nin wrote on May 31, 2012, 16:37:
And Morgan has done some game writing, including Crysis 2 and Syndicate.
Too bad they didn't structure their stories around his ideas rather than only using his writing skills. Good on him for getting the dough though, it just sucks for us.

36. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 16:37 nin

Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon with a driven central character (who really wouldn't be out of place in a film nior or in a hard bitten action film) and the great sci-fi on the periphery. That'd work well for a game. Better than some of the older cyberpunk tomes that work as books but won't as games.

I'm actually rereading the second book in that series right now. And Morgan has done some game writing, including Crysis 2 and Syndicate.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

35. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 16:34 Dmitri_M

As long as the game mechanics are good and the atmosphere oozes cyberpunk then I don't see how they can fuck this up.

Games are much more about mechanics and atmosphere and hinting at the deeper meaning of the plot through atmosphere than outright story telling. It's something RPG nerds seem to miss and why I could never get involved in any RPG discussions without falling a sleep as people obsess over stupid minute plot elements.

Saying Deus EX had "huge impact" is just peculiar to me. Are you sitting there oh shucks'ing at the games dialog and the twists and turns of the plot? I liked it, but I don't recall any really awesome standout moments. The Bladerunner point and click adventure, where you could (for no particular reason) walk out onto the balcony of your apartment building and look at the view and just experience the atmosphere. That's something game devs can easily get across through visuals than reams of story that end up being walls of dialog and text.

Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon with a driven central character (who really wouldn't be out of place in a film nior or in a hard bitten action film) and the great sci-fi on the periphery. That'd work well for a game. Better than some of the older cyberpunk tomes that work as books but would be deadly boring as games.

34. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 12:01 sauron

Orogogus wrote on May 30, 2012, 19:48:
Witcher 1 has pacing problems, in my opinion.

This is true but they make up for it with all the sex and violence. And the boobie cards. Especially those.

Kittens!

33. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 09:06 eRe4s3r

Yeah but that's my fear. They are not asking professional (is there still some of those?) gamemasters to write the story. But the guy who made that remake. And I think I'd rather have *you* write the story and setting than that guy being anywhere near it.

Obviously I am also a huge William Gibson fan when it comes to cyberpunk but lately I think the direction Ghost in the Shell / Deus EX took it fits the whole thing far better. Because we already live "more than half" in a cyberpunk world (which was not the case when Neuromancer came out) I think a good cyberpunk nowadays has to take THAT reality and run with it and extrapolate.

The more we advance in real life the less draw the old cyberpunk has for me. Because the reality is far more advanced (in some regards) than some of the concepts of old cyberpunk lore.

32. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 08:39 ASeven

eRe4s3r wrote on May 31, 2012, 07:19:
To be honest, if this is based on the tabletop Cyberpunk 2020 (or worse, the abysmal remake of 2007) I don't think it will be what we consider cyberpunk nowadays. Let's just hope they only take the some of the gameplay ideas from the tabletop, not the story or locations..... Because the only way cyberpunk works for me is when it mixes current social issues in somehow, when there is a connect "This was from your present, this is how it might be in the future". That's what gave Deus EX HR such a huge impact. You knew that is likely how it's really gonna turn out when augmentations become viable. When oil becomes scarce, when corporations become even more powerful, and governments less so. When full interconnection becomes dominant.

But that said, I am at least hyped for this because more cyberpunk can only be a good thing. After Deus EX HR and it's huge impact it was only a matter of time until someone REALLY tackled this genre with other approaches. But maybe it's just my bad taste, but I liked the deus ex style cyberpunk always a lot more (And I *loved* DX HR Neo Renaissance golden colors approach to the whole thing even if it is just taste...) than Neuromancer/Shadowrun and the like.

These original cyberpunk stuffs were great but they were also oddly disconnected from the present we can already foretell now. Not sure how else to explain what I mean... I guess I just hope it will be more like Deus EX and less like Neuromancer

To be honest it was all down to the gamemaster. Myself I always tried to gamemaster my sessions, and still do, with a heavy William Gibson influence, Neuromancer style with Blade Runner mixed in. For me it isn't cyberpunk if I can't put my players thinking about their own humanity and the world their characters live in.

Though I agree, the 2007 remake was terrible to say the least.

31. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 07:19 eRe4s3r

To be honest, if this is based on the tabletop Cyberpunk 2020 (or worse, the abysmal remake of 2007) I don't think it will be what we consider cyberpunk nowadays. Let's just hope they only take the some of the gameplay ideas from the tabletop, not the story or locations..... Because the only way cyberpunk works for me is when it mixes current social issues in somehow, when there is a connect "This was from your present, this is how it might be in the future". That's what gave Deus EX HR such a huge impact. You knew that is likely how it's really gonna turn out when augmentations become viable. When oil becomes scarce, when corporations become even more powerful, and governments less so. When full interconnection becomes dominant.

But that said, I am at least hyped for this because more cyberpunk can only be a good thing. After Deus EX HR and it's huge impact it was only a matter of time until someone REALLY tackled this genre with other approaches. But maybe it's just my bad taste, but I liked the deus ex style cyberpunk always a lot more (And I *loved* DX HR Neo Renaissance golden colors approach to the whole thing even if it is just taste...) than Neuromancer/Shadowrun and the like.

These original cyberpunk stuffs were great but they were also oddly disconnected from the present we can already foretell now. Not sure how else to explain what I mean... I guess I just hope it will be more like Deus EX and less like Neuromancer

30. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 07:01 Doma

Presentation by CPR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbotM12aepA

Mike Pondsmith come on at 07:00

29. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 06:55 Rea1One

Slashman wrote on May 30, 2012, 19:27:
The Witcher series isn't 'medieval crap'. It's actually one of the better RPG series out there, but don't let that stop you from talking without consulting your brain.

I have actually tried to play the first game back when it first came out but It couldn't capture my attention per say just didn't find it interesting personally. yeah Quboid is right I never said "The Witcher" was crap the series is highly respected and Im happy for CD Projekt RED to try something more towards my tastes.

28. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 06:17 StingingVelvet

CDPR making a cyberpunk RPG is like someone crawled into my mind and decided to make my dream game. I am SO excited for this... this and Dishonored are like perfect representations of why I love games from a design point.

Also glad there is two teams now and Witcher 3 is likely still coming as well.

27. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 00:19 Slashman

Cutter wrote on May 30, 2012, 21:10:
Slashman wrote on May 30, 2012, 18:34:
Wait...didn't you say a while back that after the D3 insanity that you had lost faith in gaming and were considering fading out to a different hobby? Or was I thinking of someone else?

Overall that hasn't changed. Four games do not equate to an industry wide shift. The industry, as a whole, is still headed in the wrong direction IMO. So, it is refreshing that at least there are still some games coming out that can give old gamers like me a reason to be happy.

Well I'd like to think that where there is a void in the gaming industry, some developer will rise to fill it. It may not shift the entire industry...but I don't think it has to. As long as there are enough games like Torchlight and Grim Dawn, I'll gladly pass all the D3s by, for example.

Oh...there is also this one that looks interesting. They are offering a completely offline version too from what I understand.

26. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 30, 2012, 21:10 Cutter

Slashman wrote on May 30, 2012, 18:34:
Wait...didn't you say a while back that after the D3 insanity that you had lost faith in gaming and were considering fading out to a different hobby? Or was I thinking of someone else?

Overall that hasn't changed. Four games do not equate to an industry wide shift. The industry, as a whole, is still headed in the wrong direction IMO. So, it is refreshing that at least there are still some games coming out that can give old gamers like me a reason to be happy.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 30, 2012, 20:38 Spektr

Do I spot a giant walker with a tie fighter cockpit in one of the pics or is it my sick mind?  

24. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 30, 2012, 20:26 Quboid

Slashman wrote on May 30, 2012, 19:58:
Quboid wrote on May 30, 2012, 19:33:
Rea1One wrote on May 30, 2012, 18:55:
Don't like medieval crap so i've never gotten into Witcher but Cyberpunk I will buy.

Day one purchase!

The Witcher series isn't 'medieval crap'. It's actually one of the better RPG series out there, but don't let that stop you from talking without consulting your brain.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't saying The Witcher is crap, just that he doesn't like medieval settings. He didn't exactly exactly phrase it like a Shakespearean sonnet, but it's still a perfectly valid opinion. But don't let that stop you from insulting people who you fail to understand.

Phrasing isn't the problem. It's the implication that if it's 'medieval', then its crap. I don't particularly like point and click adventures, but I don't necessarily think they should all be classified as crap.

But hey, butt in where ever you like and tell people what they really mean to say. And even you are right, he still stated it in a way that made it seem like he was saying The Witcher series is crap by virtue of it being medieval.

I think he was saying that he considers it to be crap by virtue of it being medieval, yes, but this is a subjective view that you seemed to take as an objective criticism. He said he doesn't like it, not that it's inherently bad. Also I didn't butt in, this is a public discussion forum.

- Quboid

23. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 30, 2012, 20:03 Tumbler

Nice! I love seeing more cyberpunk rpg games! Can't wait to see what they produce. As impressive as Witcher 2 is, fantasy games aren't my bag, I'm very excited to see them do sci-fi stuff.

More, show me MOAR!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

22. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 30, 2012, 19:58 Slashman

Quboid wrote on May 30, 2012, 19:33:
Rea1One wrote on May 30, 2012, 18:55:
Don't like medieval crap so i've never gotten into Witcher but Cyberpunk I will buy.

Day one purchase!

I'm pretty sure he wasn't saying The Witcher is crap, just that he doesn't like medieval settings. He didn't exactly exactly phrase it like a Shakespearean sonnet, but it's still a perfectly valid opinion. But don't let that stop you from insulting people who you fail to understand.

Phrasing isn't the problem. It's the implication that if it's 'medieval', then its crap. I don't particularly like point and click adventures, but I don't necessarily think they should all be classified as crap.

But hey, butt in where ever you like and tell people what they really mean to say. And even you are right, he still stated it in a way that made it seem like he was saying The Witcher series is crap by virtue of it being medieval.

21. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 30, 2012, 19:48 Orogogus

Witcher 1 has pacing problems, in my opinion. Act 2 and 3 kind of drag, and everyone hates swamps. Just hope this Cyberpunk game doesn't have a sewer level.  

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo