Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced

The Bethesda Blog announces the DOOM 3 BFG Edition, a bundle of DOOM games for release this year on PCs and consoles. This trailer shows off the project, and here's what they say: "DOOM 3 BFG Edition is the ultimate collection of groundbreaking games that defined the first person shooter. It includes DOOM, DOOM 2, DOOM 3, and DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, as well as the ‘Lost Mission.’ All DOOM 3 content has been re-mastered for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in stunning 3D for an even more terrifying FPS experience." Nowhere is a Windows edition mentioned, but there is a PC-DVD version among the packages shown at the end.

<

View
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

90. removed Jun 3, 2012, 18:26 jackplg

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 4, 2012, 01:52.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

89. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced Jun 1, 2012, 14:46 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 14:28:
Well, it IS a remake of the original game, not two. I have certainly seen them mention it was made in the original shareware Doom release model, but perhaps that was after the fact. Doom 4 is supposed to be like Doom 2, FYI.

Yeah you're right, fair enough man.

I agree with this, mostly. I also thought Rage was a disappointment and quit it halfway through. I think you nailed it in regards to them being scared to change much but throwing in token innovations that don't really pan out like the flashlight or racing.

I had to put it down quite a few times but I eventually finished it. I really do like id software, I feel for them because in many ways they're the commercial equivalent of the awkward uncle who can't relate to his nephew or whatever. I bought Rage for full price on release day like an idiot, I always drink the id koolaid because I really want to believe they can recapture that fun design methodology I used to love.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

88. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced Jun 1, 2012, 14:28 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 11:39:
Doom 3 is the third iteration and nowhere in the preview material back then did I hear them mention wanting to get back to the root of early Doom 1 gameplay.

Well, it IS a remake of the original game, not two. I have certainly seen them mention it was made in the original shareware Doom release model, but perhaps that was after the fact. Doom 4 is supposed to be like Doom 2, FYI.

Incidentally Rage suffers from similar problems. It apes many modern features and takes inspiration from other games but never really goes anywhere with them. Everything is rudimentary or implemented in a "safe" way so that they don't stray too far from their roots. I think its an id problem in general, they've never been able to decide if they're going to fully embrace newer gameplay design/mechanics or not.

I agree with this, mostly. I also thought Rage was a disappointment and quit it halfway through. I think you nailed it in regards to them being scared to change much but throwing in token innovations that don't really pan out like the flashlight or racing.

87. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced Jun 1, 2012, 11:39 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 10:41:
I think you and many others compare it to Doom 2 or the late levels of the original rather than the entire first game. Doom was slower, it had a lot of monster closets, plodding pace, light used to scare you or make you fumble about. I have played episode 1 of Doom like 30 times and I consider Doom 3's early portions a very representative remake of it.

Doom 3 is the third iteration and nowhere in the preview material back then did I hear them mention wanting to get back to the root of early Doom 1 gameplay. I don't really consider Doom 1 to be anywhere near as slow as Doom 3 was in terms of gameplay either. If people are ignoring gameplay representation from Doom 1 then that means you're ignoring the same thing from Doom/Doom 2 so I don't really think it matters anyway. People were really disappointed with Doom 3 and I just listed some reasons why (there are others), it's rarely mentioned in anything but a moderate or negative connotation on most gaming forums I've seen.

I think I would have liked Doom 3 more if they had tried to get away from toeing the line and just gone all out with a linear, plotted title. There are definitely signs they had that ambition but it didn't really go anywhere. That or just make a strictly traditional experience with graphical updates and a few new weapons. The in between approach simply didn't work that well and while it had high sales, I'd argue it was largely on the back of the previous games.

Incidentally Rage suffers from similar problems. It apes many modern features and takes inspiration from other games but never really goes anywhere with them. Everything is rudimentary or implemented in a "safe" way so that they don't stray too far from their roots. I think its an id problem in general, they've never been able to decide if they're going to fully embrace newer gameplay design/mechanics or not.

86. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced Jun 1, 2012, 10:41 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on May 31, 2012, 12:50:
It is a different game though, it's more of a slow paced plodder with artificial gimmicks to induce tension. The flashlight implementation was an incredibly lazy design choice, I'm surprised to hear anyone defend it. The real problem with Doom 3 was that it should have been a more linear experience without things like monster closets, you can see they wanted to make something almost akin to Dead Space. They straddled the line with trying to accommodate fans and the traditional genre though. So they ended up with something in between that was disappointing to many.

I think you and many others compare it to Doom 2 or the late levels of the original rather than the entire first game. Doom was slower, it had a lot of monster closets, plodding pace, light used to scare you or make you fumble about. I have played episode 1 of Doom like 30 times and I consider Doom 3's early portions a very representative remake of it. The later levels pick up speed quite a lot and closely match the later sections of Doom, though not quite a hectic perhaps due to engine limitations more than anything I bet.

85. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 23:39 Jerykk

It is a different game though, it's more of a slow paced plodder with artificial gimmicks to induce tension. The flashlight implementation was an incredibly lazy design choice, I'm surprised to hear anyone defend it. The real problem with Doom 3 was that it should have been a more linear experience without things like monster closets, you can see they wanted to make something almost akin to Dead Space. They straddled the line with trying to accommodate fans and the traditional genre though. So they ended up with something in between that was disappointing to many.

This. Doom 3 tried very hard to be scary, whereas Doom 1 and 2 were more concerned with being good shooters. In D3, I don't think you ever fight more than 4 enemies at a time. In the previous games, you fought hordes of enemies. Serious Sam had more in common with Doom than Doom 3 did.

84. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 16:47 Smellfinger

StingingVelvet wrote on May 31, 2012, 12:30:
As for Doom 3, I didn't mean my comment to sound like HEY EVERYONE LOVED IT WHEN IT CAME OUT. Again, I can ONLY speak to MY experience, which was forums filled with people excited about the game and talking about how awesome it was. Selective sampling? Less negative forum? Partial memory? I dunno, but that is my experience.

It was impossible to say anything negative about the game on this site without everyone jumping down your throat, but the hype gradually turned to disappointment as hardcore id Software fans came to the realization that the mighty id was fallible. It was a bitter pill for them to swallow, though.

83. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 13:30 Beamer

Verno wrote on May 31, 2012, 12:50:
The real problem with Doom 3 was that it should have been a more linear experience without things like monster closets, you can see they wanted to make something almost akin to Dead Space. They straddled the line with trying to accommodate fans and the traditional genre though. So they ended up with something in between that was disappointing to many.

Exactly what I said - they didn't commit so they took the crappier parts of old gaming and added the crappier parts of new gaming.

And, aside from monster closets, it had more in common with HL than Doom. A very neutered HL.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

82. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 12:50 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on May 31, 2012, 12:30:
I go to a ton of forums and gaming news sites and blues is by FAR the negative nancy of the bunch. Feel free to disagree, but that is my experience. I know the internet is negative leaning all around, I'm not an idiot, but this site is more so than most in my experience.

Nah, this site is no more negative than most others. That's an oft repeated forum canard here when people don't like what others are posting. I frequent reddit, SA, Arstechnica and several others, sometimes as a poster but mostly as a reader. Some sites have a user base that is more courteous but that's more from active moderation as opposed to any general improvement in actual attitude.

Blues has a higher percentage of PC gamers and a lot of PC gaming related news was quite negative itself over the years so of course people were unhappy with it but there was plenty of good stuff in between too. Also some people just cherry pick the troll posts and try to make that a representation which is silly.

As for Doom 3, I didn't mean my comment to sound like HEY EVERYONE LOVED IT WHEN IT CAME OUT. Again, I can ONLY speak to MY experience, which was forums filled with people excited about the game and talking about how awesome it was. Selective sampling? Less negative forum? Partial memory? I dunno, but that is my experience.

Sounds like partial memory to me, I didn't post here back then but I participated heavily on SA, Shack and so on. Doom 3 isn't exactly well remembered on the internet either. Plenty of people were excited...before the game came out. Then things went downhill quickly and for many legitimate reasons. Even going back to old comments here you can see it, people really wanted to like Doom 3 but well...it wasn't quite what most were expecting.

Anyway you're right this game is divisive. I just wish people like the dude below didn't act like it's objectively bad or a completely different game form the original, because neither is true.

This comment was edited on May 31, 2012, 13:11.

81. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 12:30 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on May 31, 2012, 10:18:
Nonsense, as someone who has accounts on most gaming enthusiast sites over the years, the internet in general has a lot of differing opinions and it's always been that way. People who are negative tend to be more vocal and people looking to rant about opinions they don't like tend to only focus on the negative anyway. Doom 3 wasn't very well liked in general on the forums I frequented back then either, it was an incredibly divisive game. Very few people were middle of the road, it was a love or hate thing, as many if not most internet discussions have always been.

I go to a ton of forums and gaming news sites and blues is by FAR the negative nancy of the bunch. Feel free to disagree, but that is my experience. I know the internet is negative leaning all around, I'm not an idiot, but this site is more so than most in my experience.

Anyway, game is awesome IMO, just a little too long. The flashlight thing works as a game mechanic, you have to choose between seeing or shooting, which ratchets up the tension. The monster closets can grow annoying, but they did the same thing in the original game and in Doom 3 it calms down a lot once you go to hell the first time. It becomes more action-focused, if I remember right.

Anyway you're right this game is divisive. I just wish people like the dude below didn't act like it's objectively bad or a completely different game form the original, because neither is true.

80. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 12:30 Jerykk

Kosumo wrote on May 31, 2012, 02:46:
Hey Jerykk, off topic but have you play/put out your view's on Diablo 3 yet? --- As alway, interested in your review of it (even if I often disagree with you, I do understand where your gaming views come from)

I'm not really into dungeon crawlers. Even if I was, the online-only DRM would force me to boycott D3.

79. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 10:18 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on May 31, 2012, 10:06:
I don't really consider blues at the time as evidence of anything, since blues is the most negative forum on the internet other than maybe RPG codex.

Nonsense, as someone who has accounts on most gaming enthusiast sites over the years, the internet in general has a lot of differing opinions and it's always been that way. People who are negative tend to be more vocal and people looking to rant about opinions they don't like tend to only focus on the negative anyway. Doom 3 wasn't very well liked in general on the forums I frequented back then either, it was an incredibly divisive game. Very few people were middle of the road, it was a love or hate thing, as many if not most internet discussions have always been.

78. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 10:11 Beamer

StingingVelvet wrote on May 31, 2012, 10:06:
Beamer wrote on May 31, 2012, 07:28:
Dude, just search this board for "doom" and look back to 2004 - people hated it just as much then, so stop with this "the cool thing to do is to hate it." That's almost as bad as "all the kiddies hate it" or "people like stuff dumbed down so they hate Doom 3."

It's a bad game. The people you talked to at the time liked a bad game. That happens sometimes.

Yay for treating opinions like objective facts!

All I can say is my personal experience. The forums I belonged to at the time were filled with people loving the game and sharing their experiences in it. At the time everything was mostly positive, and more recently it seems like everything is mostly negative. There was definitely a switch there in my experience, but yours may differ.

I don't really consider blues at the time as evidence of anything, since blues is the most negative forum on the internet other than maybe RPG codex.

Yes, but if you want to say people here are acting like it's a terrible game because it's a cool thing to do at least look back to 2004 and see that the exact same people saying it sucks now were saying it sucks then.

-------------

77. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 10:06 StingingVelvet

Beamer wrote on May 31, 2012, 07:28:
Dude, just search this board for "doom" and look back to 2004 - people hated it just as much then, so stop with this "the cool thing to do is to hate it." That's almost as bad as "all the kiddies hate it" or "people like stuff dumbed down so they hate Doom 3."

It's a bad game. The people you talked to at the time liked a bad game. That happens sometimes.

Yay for treating opinions like objective facts!

All I can say is my personal experience. The forums I belonged to at the time were filled with people loving the game and sharing their experiences in it. At the time everything was mostly positive, and more recently it seems like everything is mostly negative. There was definitely a switch there in my experience, but yours may differ.

76. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 09:53 fujiJuice

Why no Final Doom?  

75. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 09:01 Shataan

Bad is subjective. I too liked Doom 3 alot. Did it have a few bad
gameplay design decisions? Hell yeah. But for ME..... it delivered
a decent sp campaign. Damn immersive. There are quite a number of games
that just don t deliver the promised goods but for me Doom 3
is not on that list.
Farcry 1 is another that actually delivered.
If more games on pc delivered like these 2 did I d feel like I at least got my monies
worth. Sadly this is not the case.

74. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 07:28 Beamer

StingingVelvet wrote on May 31, 2012, 06:14:
I loved Doom 3 like pretty much everyone I talked to did at the time. The cool thing is to hate it now, but nah, I still like it. A lot of the shit people bitch about with it was faithful to the original, which it was a remake of.

Anyway this seems more like a console-focused release, but if they really improve the graphics or the added chapter is significant in length I'll purchase anyway. Love me some Doom.

-------------

73. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 07:20 Rea1One

Jerykk wrote on May 31, 2012, 01:35:
Quake 5 please. Multiplayer-only, PC-exclusive. Thanks.

I don't see this happening since both Raven Software & id software are consoles developers now.

72. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 06:14 StingingVelvet

I loved Doom 3 like pretty much everyone I talked to did at the time. The cool thing is to hate it now, but nah, I still like it. A lot of the shit people bitch about with it was faithful to the original, which it was a remake of.

Anyway this seems more like a console-focused release, but if they really improve the graphics or the added chapter is significant in length I'll purchase anyway. Love me some Doom.

71. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 02:46 Kosumo

Hey Jerykk, off topic but have you play/put out your view's on Diablo 3 yet? --- As alway, interested in your review of it (even if I often disagree with you, I do understand where your gaming views come from)  

90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo