Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I really need to get Cesar Milan in here or something, as our little buddy the Gunnar-man has been taking to marking around the house, a recent development that has gotten worse, rather than better since we've been trying to address it. He's an intact male, and the balls are often thought to be a factor in this, but there's no explanation for why he waited until he was seven years-old to start in. Either way it has to end soon, or MrsBlue is going to make me turn him into sausage.

Sausage Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Achievement Unlocked 3.
Bomb Runner.
Links: 12 Games Boycotted for incredibly Stupid Reasons.
Stories: Prometheus: Film Review. Thanks nin. *Spoilers*
'Mr. Trololo' Eduard Khil Fighting for His Life Following Stroke. Thanks nin.
{P}imp.
Media: Super Mario Fishtank of the Day.
Connecting The Space Shuttle and 747.
The Funnies: Darth Vader Wins Big.

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

56. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 20:41 Orogogus

When you're discussing religion and you get to a point of "Well, an omnipotent god could do it," there's not a whole lot more to say. In the case of the idea of an afterlife where said omnipotent deity gathers spirits and rewards them for actions in life... either you've already bought into all the presuppositions leading up to that, or not. There are at least a good half dozen major beliefs regarding the afterlife, and I hardly believe that most Christians teach their kids that Hindus believe in reincarnation and let them make up their own minds.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 19:47 Sepharo

MajorD wrote on May 31, 2012, 19:27:
Sepharo wrote on May 31, 2012, 19:22:
MajorD wrote on May 31, 2012, 19:06:
At some point, a child is going to ask their parent(s) about heaven, if it exists, etc. Now, the parent can either insist/engrain into the kid that there is a heaven, or they could give them enough neutral information for the child to formulate their own decisions.

Neutral information? I'm just going to say "There is no evidence that heaven exists."

"Monsters under your bed? Why not just check for yourself?" ... "No evidence of monsters right? Go to sleep."

And there is no evidence it doesn't exist.

Really?

54. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 19:27 MajorD

Sepharo wrote on May 31, 2012, 19:22:
At some point, a child is going to ask their parent(s) about heaven, if it exists, etc. Now, the parent can either insist/engrain into the kid that there is a heaven, or they could give them enough neutral information for the child to formulate their own decisions.

Neutral information? I'm just going to say "There is no evidence that heaven exists."

"Monsters under your bed? Why not just check for yourself?" ... "No evidence of monsters right? Go to sleep."

And there is no evidence it doesn't exist. Go back to sleep. Wink

53. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 19:22 Sepharo

52. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 19:06 MajorD

space captain wrote on May 31, 2012, 12:26:
MajorD wrote on May 31, 2012, 10:10:
No, I get it, but I think you are missing my point. So, we'll just leave it at that. Go forth....

your point is one of political correctness, its a matter of distinction whether or not societal indoctrination is "forced" or rather something that children are doing by "formulating their own beliefs"

the problem for me accepting your description is that those "beliefs" have already been created, they have already been conceptually outlined in numerous ways and have established patterns of dissemination throughout many years, or centuries, or millenia

to me, having to choose from a buffet of pre-made ideas, each with built-in bias one way or another... thats not "formulating your own beliefs".. thats pure consumption, pure conformity - there is no creativity involved in such a process, beyond the most simplistic principals of arrangement

This is good, and I am being serious. "Political correctness" is too extreme and it is so out of fricken' control it is sad. I would like to think it was more a neutral approach. Wink

So, back to the my original response to Fibrocyte’s comment to Verno, "Start by explaining that there is no heaven - they're never too young to start learning the truth"., Now, I agree that the “idea” - I say “idea” for the sake of our post communications here - of heaven will some how be impressed upon children/people, whether it via books, TV, radio, over hearing conversations, engaging in conversation, seeing a billboard, interacting with other kids, etc, etc; there’s no doubt about it. My counter to Fibrocyte’s comments was very epigrammatic, but what I was trying to convey was to let the kid formulate their own opinion whether it was impressed on them already. At some point, a child is going to ask their parent(s) about heaven, if it exists, etc. Now, the parent can either insist/engrain into the kid that there is a heaven, or they could give them enough neutral information for the child to formulate their own decisions along the way.

What I have found interesting over the years is where kids are brought up in a religious family/household, and then eventually become agnostic or atheists for some reason or another. Was it provoked by higher education, negative experiences, work associates, significant others, etc……who knows. And then on the other side you have people that were brought up in a household without religious beliefs or practices, and then become religious in their adult life. Was it due being a product of their environment(s), divine intervention, significant other, positive experiences, etc…..again, who knows.

Oh, and your comment, becoming a "functional member of society" is a matter of pure conformity... not necessarily "bad", but there is a conditioning process employed to tame the wildness of the human animal - suppression, repression, and so forth.

So true, we are definitely animals with a higher degree of intelligence....

This comment was edited on May 31, 2012, 19:24.

51. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 12:33 space captain

SimplyMonk wrote on May 31, 2012, 11:57:
nin wrote on May 31, 2012, 09:13:
SimplyMonk wrote on May 30, 2012, 21:11:
space captain wrote on May 30, 2012, 20:59:
the christian church is well established and even more well leveraged... if you dont think they are pushing an agenda on people then you are so fully retarded that its amazing you are actually able to read written words

Your ideas intrigue me. Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

Oh god no...don't encourage him.

Well, some of us like to watch train wrecks.

your aversion feeds the power manifest in the vacuum caused by your lack of intelligence

thats where i live, and profit

its truly amusing to me how willing you people are to lend a hand in my endeavors

i actually know what to do with attention.. so thanks for the handout

i'll put it to good use

Go forth, and kill!

50. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 12:26 space captain

MajorD wrote on May 31, 2012, 10:10:
No, I get it, but I think you are missing my point. So, we'll just leave it at that. Go forth....

your point is one of political correctness, its a matter of distinction whether or not societal indoctrination is "forced" or rather something that children are doing by "formulating their own beliefs"

the problem for me accepting your description is that those "beliefs" have already been created, they have already been conceptually outlined in numerous ways and have established patterns of dissemination throughout many years, or centuries, or millenia

to me, having to choose from a buffet of pre-made ideas, each with built-in bias one way or another... thats not "formulating your own beliefs".. thats pure consumption, pure conformity - there is no creativity involved in such a process, beyond the most simplistic principals of arrangement

Go forth, and kill!

49. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 11:57 SuperBill

There may be another dog in heat nearby. You may not be able to see it around, but your boy could certainly smell it. If this is the case the problem should subside within a month and a half at the very most.  

48. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 11:57 SimplyMonk

nin wrote on May 31, 2012, 09:13:
the christian church is well established and even more well leveraged... if you dont think they are pushing an agenda on people then you are so fully retarded that its amazing you are actually able to read written words

Well, some of us like to watch train wrecks.

47. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 10:10 MajorD

MajorD wrote on May 30, 2012, 17:50:
Well, unless you keep your kids locked-up in the house and don't let them watch TV, listen to the radio, read books, let them out into the world to interact with anyone, or hear and/or participate in conversations to provoke thinking and questions. They're constantly exposed to many differnt things in the world, so if their questions are answered in a neutral manner, as it relates to the subject at hand here, without "FORCING THE IDEAS ON THEM" as you put it, then they can formulate their own beliefs.

Roll that up on your ZigZag and smoke it! Wink

you dont get it. society forces itself on everyone, regardless... thats why they say "it takes a village to raise a child"

becoming a "functional member of society" is a matter of pure conformity... not necessarily "bad", but there is a conditioning process employed to tame the wildness of the human animal - suppression, repression, and so forth

46. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 09:34 Fibrocyte

InBlack wrote on May 31, 2012, 04:19:
Fibrocyte wrote on May 30, 2012, 16:19:
Why - oh why - is that Darth Vader Wins Big comic even remotely funny?

Because he blew up Alderaan (karma is a bitch) and because Im a giant fucking nerd?

Ahhh okay - thanks.

Clearly I don't know the details of the Star Wars universe.

45. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 09:13 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

44. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 08:59 InBlack

While there are many cool animals, only dogs and horses are truly noble and can be counted on as actual friends.

Noble? Thats a poor choice of words, as nobility is not exactly a well developed or even widespread human trait. Most people I know are douchebags (myself included), most dogs I know are better company than aforementioned douches.

I have a nifty blue line!

43. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 08:12 Gocows

While there are many cool animals, only dogs and horses are truly noble and can be counted on as actual friends.

I had a cat at one point (have had cats all my life, this is the only one who had that trait) that would protect me and my sister to the best of his ability. We used to play tennis at a nearby lot and he would patrol along it, trying to chase of any animal that came close. He changed tactics after a fella who was walking his saint bernard came around a corner just as he was approaching on his patrol. I have never seen a cat grow that much in size as when he suddenly stood face to face with a dog that would most likely be able to fit him in his mouth. From then on, he changed to just watching us from a nearby tree.

42. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 04:19 InBlack

Fibrocyte wrote on May 30, 2012, 16:19:
Why - oh why - is that Darth Vader Wins Big comic even remotely funny?

Because he blew up Alderaan (karma is a bitch) and because Im a giant fucking nerd?

41. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 04:17 InBlack

Fibrocyte wrote on May 30, 2012, 12:27:
Verno wrote on May 30, 2012, 10:58:
Just getting some shit off my chest. Our little yorkie Lucy passed away yesterday. She had a little doggie version of a stroke and her equilibrium was off as a result. She could barely get around and obviously wasn't happy so we put her down. She had been blind for a few years which was really rough at first but eventually we discovered that her other senses more than made up for it. All the same I had a long 16 years with her and my GF and her daughter have only been around for 3 but seem to be taking it harder than I am.

I don't really know the protocol for these things, this has been my only pet and has been with me since I was 16. Part of me really wants to wait and just mourn for awhile but another part wants another little companion again as soon as possible. My GFs daughter is totally heartbroken and keeps asking when Lucy will come back from heaven, three year olds are adorable.

Start by explaining that there is no heaven - they're never too young to start learning the truth.

Aside from that, you do what makes you happy. If that means immediately getting another dog then just do it.

Fibrocyte you are my hero!

40. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2012, 21:17 Cutter

Prez wrote on May 30, 2012, 19:55:
Man, I feel for you. When I lost my Beagle a few months back I was devastated. I couldn't eat for 3 days; my work suffered, and I was in a funk for 2 months. It hurt no less than when I buried my grandmother, and she was the only real parent I ever had and the dearest human being on the planet to me. People always try to force themselves to grieve less when a dog dies because "it's only animal". Well I say "hogwash". I've never owned or even fostered a dog that wasn't a better friend and more loving companion than the vast majority of people I've known throughout my lifetime. They are worth having even given their short existences, and they are definitely worth the tears and sorrow when they eventually leave us.

So true. I can count the number of real friends I have on one hand. I have countless acquaintances though, as I'm sure most of us do. A friend is someone who would lay down in traffic for you. Take a bullet for you. Give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. A dog would gladly do all of that. So how anyone could not count them as a true friend is beyond me. While there are many cool animals, only dogs and horses are truly noble and can be counted on as actual friends.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

39. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2012, 21:17 sauron

Oops, double post - apologies.  

Kittens!

38. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2012, 21:16 sauron

Verno wrote on May 30, 2012, 14:30:
Thanks everyone, gonna sleep on it tonight and make a decision tomorrow. Just helps to vent a bit, appreciate it.

Good luck! I love pets - my cat must be the most spoiled animal around. They do indeed become part of the family.

Kittens!

37. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2012, 21:11 SimplyMonk

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo