Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends

Steam News announces the availability of Crysis 2 - Maximum Edition. a return of Crysis 2 to Steam after the game was removed from the service almost a year ago. Kotaku has word that Crytek brought the game in-line with Valve's terms of service: ""Changes made by Crytek to Crysis 2: Maximum Edition have brought the game in compliance with Steam's terms of service," an EA spokesperson told them. Here's word on the new edition:

Already own Crysis 2 on Steam? As an existing Crysis 2 customer you can upgrade to the Maximum Edition for 50% off the purchase price! Offer ends June 12 at 10am Pacific Time.

Aliens are decimating New York City, only you have the technology to survive. Adapt in real time using the unique Nanosuit 2 Stealth, Armor and Power abilities, then tackle the alien menace in ways a regular soldier could only dream of. Crysis 2 redefines the visual benchmark for PC platforms in the urban jungle of NYC. Be The Weapon.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 09:19 Verno

Crysis 2 is such a weird game. Really enjoyed the open levels but they had adopted the hamfisted storytelling that CoD games use with loss of character control, laugh worthy plot that 14 year olds would mock and nonsensical cutscenes. Some of the stealthplay is fun but the aliens are totally boring as usual, I have no idea what Cryteks fixation on aliens is but it is always the weakest part of their games.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 08:41 necrosis

Prez wrote on May 29, 2012, 23:14:
Everyone needs to be reminded that prior to the complete edition none of the Dragon Age Origins DLC was obtainable through Steam yet it remained on Steam throughout; given that their stated reason for pulling some of their games off of Steam is demonstrably false, I think it's safe to say EA is, as usual, full of shit.
Valve changed their ToS just before Crysis 2 came out. Dragon Age Origins was 'grandfathered' in so it and all other games prior to Crisis 2 were unaffected.

21. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 06:19 StingingVelvet

Everyone needs to be reminded that prior to the complete edition none of the Dragon Age Origins DLC was obtainable through Steam yet it remained on Steam throughout; given that their stated reason for pulling some of their games off of Steam is demonstrably false, I think it's safe to say EA is, as usual, full of shit.

Valve changed their terms of service around the time they let free-to-play games on Steam. Not that hard a concept to grasp, though I guess feel free to blame EA for everything that ever went wrong and kiss Valve and Blizzard ass.

20. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 04:40 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on May 29, 2012, 23:52:
Does Crytek have any leverage over the matter? I mean, I assume that they aren't allowed to sell Crysis 2 on Steam without EA's permission. It's not like Alan Wake, where the entire PC version was funded by Remedy. EA funded the PC port of Crysis 2 so they have control over all sales of it, I believe.
Crytek is a member of the EA Partners program, which is separate from EA's main publishing arm. It's the same reason that Shank 2 - also part of the EA Partners program - was released on Steam despite it being after the dispute that lead to EA withdrawing some of its games. Still, it begs the question as to why it took this long if they had control over the situation. No doubt they had to wait for EA to authorise a GOTY-style edition before being able to make this move, so EA was probably indirectly responsible for this change.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

19. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 02:06 Kajetan

Does this still require activation with Origin like the Alice game?  

18. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 01:44 hello newman

Acleacius wrote on May 29, 2012, 23:49:
ea and crytek are the perfect jerkoff match, they truly deserve each other.

spot on sir!

17. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 00:32 killer_roach

Jerykk wrote on May 29, 2012, 23:52:
Does Crytek have any leverage over the matter? I mean, I assume that they aren't allowed to sell Crysis 2 on Steam without EA's permission. It's not like Alan Wake, where the entire PC version was funded by Remedy. EA funded the PC port of Crysis 2 so they have control over all sales of it, I believe.

EA is still listed as publisher on Steam for the pre-order.

16. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 23:52 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 29, 2012, 23:23:
This clearly isn't a change of policy by EA. Rather it's Crytek realising that EA was fucking them over by boycotting Steam and taking action into their own hands to address it. I already own Crysis 2 and have absolutely no idea what the DLC is that they talk about, let alone how it's worth £12.49 (50% off the standard £24.99). The Steam page is cryptic but it seems it's mostly multiplayer and a couple of weapons. They should have just given existing users the content for free instead of being cunts about it. Another dick move by EA.

15. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 23:49 Acleacius

ea and crytek are the perfect jerkoff match, they truly deserve each other.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

14. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 23:26 DangerDog

Rea1One wrote on May 29, 2012, 23:20:
Not really worth upgrading from steam limited edition to maximum edition.
anyway multiplayer is a dead zone in our region.

They killed it right from the start, seems like it wasn't even a month old when they tossed out the DLC map pack which was blatantly just chopped maps from the main game.

greedy fuckers

13. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 23:23 theyarecomingforyou

This clearly isn't a change of policy by EA. Rather it's Crytek realising that EA was fucking them over by boycotting Steam and taking action into their own hands to address it. I already own Crysis 2 and have absolutely no idea what the DLC is that they talk about, let alone how it's worth £12.49 (50% off the standard £24.99). The Steam page is cryptic but it seems it's mostly multiplayer and a couple of weapons. They should have just given existing users the content for free instead of being cunts about it. Another dick move by EA.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

12. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 23:20 jacobvandy

That's true, same with a lot of the smaller add-on stuff for The Sims 3, but my understanding is Valve got fed up with it around March of last year, which is when both Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2 came out and were only available on Steam for a short time. In other words, the new policy didn't apply retroactively.

11. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 23:20 Rea1One

Not really worth upgrading from steam limited edition to maximum edition.
anyway multiplayer is a dead zone in our region.

10. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 23:20 killer_roach

It could be that Valve changed their rules, or they decided to start enforcing the rules they previously had...

9. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 23:14 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 23:08 jacobvandy

This is the 'GOTY Edition' that includes all of the DLC. They're still not selling the standard edition that had you going to an external store system from in-game to get that stuff a la carte. The implication couldn't be any clearer...  

7. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 23:02 nin

Curious that this one doesn't (yet) mention limited installs, like Crysis had.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 22:50 ^Drag0n^

I believe that they disabled the "in-game content purchasing option" that the original (patched) release had. It cut the steam store out of purchases, which Valve didn't like, if memory serves.

IMO, I thought it was kind of silly to begin with (on both sides), but whatever.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

5. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 22:45 Sepharo

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on May 29, 2012, 22:30:
So what was changed to make it compliant?

I'm not up on my Crysis 2 knowledge but maybe there isn't any DLC available beyond Maximum Edition? Or did EA stop selling DLC? There certainly isn't any individual DLC avail for Crysis 2 on Steam currently.

4. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 22:33 briktal

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on May 29, 2012, 22:30:
So what was changed to make it compliant?

It looks like it includes all the DLC.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo