Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends

Steam News announces the availability of Crysis 2 - Maximum Edition. a return of Crysis 2 to Steam after the game was removed from the service almost a year ago. Kotaku has word that Crytek brought the game in-line with Valve's terms of service: ""Changes made by Crytek to Crysis 2: Maximum Edition have brought the game in compliance with Steam's terms of service," an EA spokesperson told them. Here's word on the new edition:

Already own Crysis 2 on Steam? As an existing Crysis 2 customer you can upgrade to the Maximum Edition for 50% off the purchase price! Offer ends June 12 at 10am Pacific Time.

Aliens are decimating New York City, only you have the technology to survive. Adapt in real time using the unique Nanosuit 2 Stealth, Armor and Power abilities, then tackle the alien menace in ways a regular soldier could only dream of. Crysis 2 redefines the visual benchmark for PC platforms in the urban jungle of NYC. Be The Weapon.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 31, 2012, 02:56 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on May 30, 2012, 15:30:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 30, 2012, 14:21:
What I don't get is why the Aliens always have to be the bad guys? The whole sci-fi plot seems to always be fixated on them destroying our planet, Why not us fighting proxy wars against aliens on their planet for a 3rd alien race? At least then the unique visuals would have an actual point and we could add elements to explore their society while fighting a war. Not to mention sci-fi gadgets would actually have a reason to exist.

And cryteks fixation on New York + Aliens is getting old very fast. In fact, I was already tired of it pre crysis 2 and now Crysis 3 again in New York.. 0 innovation at Crytek, seems they are all about graphics and nill about doing something new.

I get the New York fixation, though. Where else would you be if you want a US focus? Aliens in Cincinnati? Milwaukee? Santa Fe? Those cities are all insanely uninteresting. New York gives you more variety, as you have canyons of skyscrapers, smaller less dense areas, and can move out to suburbs or wooded areas as needed. Outside of, say, Chicago, you lose those canyons of skyscrapers.

I'd agree that a focus on other countries would be interesting, but if you only want to do the US there aren't many options.

The thing is the US cities aren't good options anyway, grid streets simply do not work for urban combat, sky scrapers are huge annoying obstacles that cause vertical gunplay in close quarters (the worst thing a game can do, imo) and I feel like I know the central park better than most New Yorkers actually living there! I mean, it's not just Crysis, there have been like a dozen games set in in New York, and as a non American this is quite annoying. I play games to see something new, and seeing New York is NOT new. In fact seeing New York (nowadays) bores me to death. Because there aren't THAT many memorable things in New York. Heck you seen central park and the business sector and you seen everything.

I guess my only point is that if you make a game that plays *now* you better not put it in a city anyone playing games or watching news (or even movies) has seen more often than they have seen their local dentist.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 31, 2012, 01:45 Ruddrage

Spektr wrote on May 30, 2012, 20:51:
I am so p"%&ed by Steam. I still split my HDDs into several partitions and don't have room on one to install all my games in the steam partition. They will have to improve their stuff if they want me to use that platform. As long as they wont allow me to choose what partition I install on I will look at it as some archaic prehistoric curiosity not as the face of tomorrow. And yes unless the latest game I want requires it( bethesda I hate you ) I will get my game from other sources.

Have a look at a program called DirLinker [url=]http://dirlinker.codeplex.com/[/url] which makes it easier to create symbolic links. All you do is download the game from Steam and then use DirLinker to physically move the folder to another partition. It creates a symbolic link in the Steam game directory and Steam thinks the folder still exists there, when in fact it is only a pointer to the real directory. I do the same except I move the game I'm playing at the moment to my solid state drive. Loads a lot quicker

41. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 20:51 Spektr

I am so p"%&ed by Steam. I still split my HDDs into several partitions and don't have room on one to install all my games in the steam partition. They will have to improve their stuff if they want me to use that platform. As long as they wont allow me to choose what partition I install on I will look at it as some archaic prehistoric curiosity not as the face of tomorrow. And yes unless the latest game I want requires it( bethesda I hate you ) I will get my game from other sources.  

40. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 19:13 Leper

I live near Santa Fe and I personally find your comment incredibly accurate.  

39. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 15:30 Beamer

What I don't get is why the Aliens always have to be the bad guys? The whole sci-fi plot seems to always be fixated on them destroying our planet, Why not us fighting proxy wars against aliens on their planet for a 3rd alien race? At least then the unique visuals would have an actual point and we could add elements to explore their society while fighting a war. Not to mention sci-fi gadgets would actually have a reason to exist.

And cryteks fixation on New York + Aliens is getting old very fast. In fact, I was already tired of it pre crysis 2 and now Crysis 3 again in New York.. 0 innovation at Crytek, seems they are all about graphics and nill about doing something new.

I get the New York fixation, though. Where else would you be if you want a US focus? Aliens in Cincinnati? Milwaukee? Santa Fe? Those cities are all insanely uninteresting. New York gives you more variety, as you have canyons of skyscrapers, smaller less dense areas, and can move out to suburbs or wooded areas as needed. Outside of, say, Chicago, you lose those canyons of skyscrapers.

I'd agree that a focus on other countries would be interesting, but if you only want to do the US there aren't many options.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

38. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 15:29 Verno

Valve changed their policy. Well, I suspect they realised something and then created a policy. I don't think they decided one thing then changed their mind, I think they just hadn't thought of it before.

Basically Valve realised that companies were using Steam to sell games then selling the associated DLC directly, cutting out Steam. Specifically EA had clearly started doing this pretty heavily.

Yeah exactly. EA wasn't doing anything particularly reasonable here, they want to leverage Steams userbase for themselves while cutting out the middle man. Sell people cheap base games then hit them hard on DLC content that they don't have to pay out a percentage on. Valve adjusted the policy to prevent companies from abusing it.

I don't really see how thats unfair either. It cost Valve a serious amount of time and money to build the market from scratch while dragging other companies like EA kicking and screaming into the DD age. EA doesn't get to have its cake and eat it too. The terms were pretty reasonable - you can't sell DLC and selectively omit Steam, it has to be given the same opportunity to sell the content that other stores get.

People just bring their own personal biases into it and get all silly about the Valve monopoly, evil EA and so on. The companies could have been named entirely differently and I'd still see where the logical problem in this situation was.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

37. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 15:25 theyarecomingforyou

I think that was the allure of the Halo series, along with the great music and aliens that were actually varied and fun to fight (except for the horde). It was set in the future which made it more plausible. Afterall, in Crysis aliens have travelled million of light years only to be killed with puny Earth weapons? And it's interesting how the main ships are incredibly deadly, yet most of the time you're left to deal with the really weak aliens that pose no threat.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

36. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 14:21 eRe4s3r

35. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 14:17 DG

Prez wrote on May 29, 2012, 23:14:
Everyone needs to be reminded that prior to the complete edition none of the Dragon Age Origins DLC was obtainable through Steam yet it remained on Steam throughout; given that their stated reason for pulling some of their games off of Steam is demonstrably false, I think it's safe to say EA is, as usual, full of shit.
Valve changed their policy. Well, I suspect they realised something and then created a policy. I don't think they decided one thing then changed their mind, I think they just hadn't thought of it before.

Basically Valve realised that companies were using Steam to sell games then selling the associated DLC directly, cutting out Steam. Specifically EA had clearly started doing this pretty heavily.

This has obvious implications for Valve - companies could sell the "base" game cheaply on Steam to bring in the crowds while making the real money via DLC. So publisher gets the advantages of selling on Steam but diverting the revenue so they don't pay for it. They might even include the bulk of DLC files in the base game thus Valve is even paying the bandwidth for content they aren't making a cut on.

One thing I'm not sure about was what Valve's new policy was exactly, but my impression at the time was that Valve wanted any DLC to be *available* for purchase via Steam. It did not have to be the only source. This seemed fair enough to me and led me to conclude the villain of the piece was EA wanting to take Steam for a ride.

Crysis 2 is now on Steam not because anyone has changed policy or given in or anything, it's just that since this is the complete edition there is no more DLC so the issue in this case has become irrelevant.

34. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 13:05 Dev

Short form translation of what probably happened:
Valve said: "Look guys, thats fine if you want to sell DLC through your own store, but let us ALSO sell the DLC through our store"
EA said: "Screw you, we want all the DLC exclusively through our system, we'll pull our stuff off, and see how you like it! You will give in once we do!"

I'm glad valve took that stance, I dislike having to go to 15 different stores for 15 games and their DLC. I want to buy it all through steam and not have to worry about it.
As well, valve HAD to do this change in ToS because of the free 2 play games, otherwise all those games would be taking up valve's servers and they wouldn't be paying anything for it since they'd be doing the DLC/premium sales through their own system. Valve would then be subsidizing all free to play games and not getting a penny out of it.

And as we can see, its easy enough to release the GotY edition through steam that has all the DLC already. The initial sales and DLC were all through EA's setup, now that they've milked all the MSRP buyers, they can come to steam and get the discount buyers. Best of both worlds.

This comment was edited on May 30, 2012, 13:48.

33. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 12:54 theyarecomingforyou

Alamar wrote on May 30, 2012, 11:35:
I don't understand the alien complaints with the Crysis series... The entire story has, and always will be, about the aliens... Fighting human troops was just tacked on : )
But that's exactly the problem - they were bad from the beginning. When it was first announced and I read about Korean troops I thought "finally, they've learnt from their decision to add super-mutants into Far Cry" until I read a bit further and realised they'd literally just replaced super-mutants with aliens. And they screwed everything up by going for the clichéd US marines / SAS bullshit (I mean calling a character "Psycho", really?!), whereas at least the first half of Far Cry was plausible. Even after all the criticism of the aliens in Crysis they still kept them for Warhead and Crysis 2.

32. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 12:27 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on May 30, 2012, 12:02:
Wow, you're retarded. After these news here at the very latest it should be more than obvious even to the biggest tards (except you apparently) that it was Valve who kicked Crysis from their Steam service instead of EA pulling Crysis from Steam. EA never wanted any of their games removed from Steam. It was Valve who forced them to pull Crysis off Steam for a violation of the TOS.
Crysis and Warhead have always been available on Steam. It was Crysis 2 that was removed, as in order to facilitate free-2-play games Valve had to stipulate that all games also sell any DLC via-Steam (not even exclusively).

EA chose to boycott Steam. Every other publisher didn't. That pretty much sums up the entire story.

31. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 12:02 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on May 30, 2012, 10:26:
I guess Crytek was seriously unhappy about their sales after EA forced them to boycott Steam?

Creston

Wow, you're retarded. After these news here at the very latest it should be more than obvious even to the biggest tards (except you apparently) that it was Valve who kicked Crysis from their Steam service instead of EA pulling Crysis from Steam. EA never wanted any of their games removed from Steam. It was Valve who forced them to pull Crysis off Steam for a violation of the TOS.

It's funny how a bunch of morons always thought that EA was the active party in this and that they did this to promote Origin when in reality EA was passive all the time and it was Valve that took action on an EA game.

But dumb people just want to see what fits their image of the world instead of the reality. Nothing new there. Have fun staying dumb and retarded if it makes life easier for you!

30. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 11:39 Verno

Alamar wrote on May 30, 2012, 11:35:
I don't understand the alien complaints with the Crysis series... The entire story has, and always will be, about the aliens... Fighting human troops was just tacked on : )

Well don't get me wrong, I don't want them to CoD it up (although they are starting to do that already) and just make everything about US vs Generic Eastern State or whatever. It's just that they never really do the alien stuff well, its always poorly written and boring in-game compared to the rest of it.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

29. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 11:35 Alamar

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 30, 2012, 11:23:
Verno wrote on May 30, 2012, 09:19:
Crysis 2 is such a weird game. Really enjoyed the open levels but they had adopted the hamfisted storytelling that CoD games use with loss of character control, laugh worthy plot that 14 year olds would mock and nonsensical cutscenes. Some of the stealthplay is fun but the aliens are totally boring as usual, I have no idea what Cryteks fixation on aliens is but it is always the weakest part of their games.
Exactly. You've at least got to give Ubisoft credit with Far Cry 2 for responding to the criticism of the original and removing the mutants, corny dialogue and bullshit sci-fi elements (though they made plenty of their own mistakes). Whereas Crytek responded by making exactly the same game with Crysis, except they replaced mutants with aliens.

-Alamar

28. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 11:23 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on May 30, 2012, 09:19:
Crysis 2 is such a weird game. Really enjoyed the open levels but they had adopted the hamfisted storytelling that CoD games use with loss of character control, laugh worthy plot that 14 year olds would mock and nonsensical cutscenes. Some of the stealthplay is fun but the aliens are totally boring as usual, I have no idea what Cryteks fixation on aliens is but it is always the weakest part of their games.
Exactly. You've at least got to give Ubisoft credit with Far Cry 2 for responding to the criticism of the original and removing the mutants, corny dialogue and bullshit sci-fi elements (though they made plenty of their own mistakes). Whereas Crytek responded by making exactly the same game with Crysis, except they replaced mutants with aliens.

I like Crysis 2 in many ways. The combat felt right, the graphics were obviously very good, the suit actually worked properly and the levels did offer a variety of ways to play. But the game did too much to break immersion and tried to mimic Hollywood-style summer blockbusters - it was interesting but it just didn't quite work. And Crysis 3 looks to be the same game . Crytek seem completely incapable of innovating - of stepping outside of the box, except for visuals. I know that Half-Life had sci-fi elements but the way it was delivered made it plausible - Crytek just slap in things like super-mutants and aliens with the subtlety of a hammer to the face.

27. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 11:16 ASeven

Anyone with Crysis Wars, here's the mod that makes CW more than worth purchasing.  

26. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 10:51 Dev

I think the "changes" that crytek did were to include the DLC with the purchase (a sort of GotY edition), so they don't even have to deal with that part of steam's ToS. Smart really, they also then don't have to fight EA over it, they just sidestep the whole issue.  

25. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 10:26 Creston

I guess Crytek was seriously unhappy about their sales after EA forced them to boycott Steam?

Creston

24. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 09:41 DNForever

I still have to play Crysis Warhead - loved Crysis 1 but agree with Verno about the aliens, that part with the aliens was really long and bad, compared to the rest of that game.  

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo