Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Turn off your PC May 31, 2012, 22:34 jimnms

Tom wrote on May 29, 2012, 23:41:
Never go cheap with the power supply.

Sugarman wrote on May 30, 2012, 00:05:
^^ what that guy said. I got a cheaper 600 watt for my home rig as I mainly play at my office and kept smelling that hot electronics smell "you know what that smells like", soon enough it just shut off, ends up it took out my hard drive with it so yea, never skimp on the power supply.

space captain wrote on May 30, 2012, 00:37:
thats what happens when you let dust build up inside there

dont be stupid - thats the real message

its pretty broad advice

Wow, you all assume it's either a cheap PSU or neglected. It was a brand new machine I built a few months earlier. The PSU was neither cheap nor dusty. Luckily the system survived, it was actually still running while flames and smoke were coming out. I shut off the UPS and the fire fizzled itself out.

The Windows 7 hybrid sleep is nice. It combines regular sleep mode with hibernation, so if it's sleeping and loses power, you don't lose your work. I used it for a while, but somewhere along the line NVIDIA's did something that doesn't get along with it. It works most of the time, but every now and then a few minutes after resuming from sleep the display goes black. The system isn't locked up, BSODed or anything, the video card drivers just crap out and don't recover.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2012, 22:09 heroin

there's a guy who does really, really awesome Goblin type songs called Umberto. Check him out (sometimes a duo), it fucking rules.  

16. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2012, 20:20 Sepharo

heroin wrote on May 30, 2012, 09:50:
I see there are no music nerds here. HEALTH is doing Rockstar's soundtrack for Max Payne... an underground noise rock band... that's nuts.

I read that article and it sounds pretty great. Love the idea of giving the full score to a rockband to make original stuff with. Reminds me of Goblin doing the unforgettable score to Argento's Suspiria.

15. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2012, 11:18 Mr. Tact

The cost of electricity isn't on my list for consideration when deciding whether or not I should turn my PC off. I waste way more money than that on a regular basis. Over the years I've gone both ways, leaving it on all the time or turning it off when not in use.

If someone provided definitive evidence that doing one or the other would significantly improve the life span of a particular component -- it might make the decision for me, but I haven't been convinced of that.

Recently, I have everything plugged into a power strip which in turn is plugged into a UPS. I shutdown the PC and then turnoff the power strip overnight and while at work. It's probably unnecessary -- the UPS and power strip probably give me as much protection while up and running as it does while turned off. *shrug*

Basically for me it comes down to this, I don't need the PC to be on all time and I consider the inconvenience of booting when I do use it acceptable. So, whatever -- to each their own.

Edit: Fixed my stupid typos -- damn fingers.

This comment was edited on May 30, 2012, 15:30.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2012, 10:32 xXBatmanXx

Mr. Tact wrote on May 30, 2012, 09:28:
So Bats -- are you saying sleep mode is good because it allows you to do that or bad because it doesn't?

I just turn my monitor off. Wake on LAN doesnt work for me. I also don't like not being able to receive steam messages. I do a lot of communication with it.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

13. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2012, 09:50 heroin

I see there are no music nerds here. HEALTH is doing Rockstar's soundtrack for Max Payne... an underground noise rock band... that's nuts.  

12. Re: Turn off your PC May 30, 2012, 09:35 HorrorScope

deadearth wrote on May 30, 2012, 08:28:
The newer windows sleep mode (not when it was added) makes my computer nearly shut off. I guess its suspending to ram, but all i know is it goes completely silent, cuts off all the fans, and instantly comes back on. I had not used sleep mode on my desktop for years until i tried it one day with windows 7 and was amazed.

Highly recommended.

Yep Win 7 finally got it right after so many attempts. There is also a sleep mode where you can still share media files.

11. Re: Turn off your PC May 30, 2012, 09:34 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 30, 2012, 09:22:
I remote into my rig multiple times a day - it is always on.

Wake on Lan helps with this. I have a little script that gets my router at home to send the WOL packet then I just remote in about 5 seconds later. Power savings and convenience.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

10. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2012, 09:28 Mr. Tact

So Bats -- are you saying sleep mode is good because it allows you to do that or bad because it doesn't?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Turn off your PC May 30, 2012, 09:22 xXBatmanXx

deadearth wrote on May 30, 2012, 08:28:
The newer windows sleep mode (not when it was added) makes my computer nearly shut off. I guess its suspending to ram, but all i know is it goes completely silent, cuts off all the fans, and instantly comes back on. I had not used sleep mode on my desktop for years until i tried it one day with windows 7 and was amazed.

Highly recommended.

I remote into my rig multiple times a day - it is always on.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: Turn off your PC May 30, 2012, 08:28 deadearth

Highly recommended.

7. Re: Turn off your PC May 30, 2012, 06:29 skyguy

Prez wrote on May 30, 2012, 01:56:
I'm terrible about this. Frankly I don't give a crap about the environmental effect of my 4 PC's left running all night in my computer room (if the ecosystem lives or dies on whether or not I shut my computers down at night then it's already doomed), but I am killing my electric bill for sure. I can't get my kids to turn theirs off before bed no matter how many times I ask, and when I'm working I sometimes don't even go in there for days at a time. They're those high end gamer cases too that are lit up like Xmas trees and loaded with case fans. My electric company sends me a nice Xmas card every year though..

Any modern PC has the ability to suspend to RAM or hibernate. You should configure windows to STR or hibernate after an hour or two without use.

6. Re: Turn off your PC May 30, 2012, 01:56 Prez

I'm terrible about this. Frankly I don't give a crap about the environmental effect of my 4 PC's left running all night in my computer room (if the ecosystem lives or dies on whether or not I shut my computers down at night then it's already doomed), but I am killing my electric bill for sure. I can't get my kids to turn theirs off before bed no matter how many times I ask, and when I'm working I sometimes don't even go in there for days at a time. They're those high end gamer cases too that are lit up like Xmas trees and loaded with case fans. My electric company sends me a nice Xmas card every year though..

This comment was edited on May 30, 2012, 02:05.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Turn off your PC May 30, 2012, 01:37 PHJF

If I left my PC on overnight my room would burst into flames. My PC is soooo fuucckkiinnggg hhoooottt.

It's nice in the winter, though.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Turn off your PC May 30, 2012, 00:37 space captain

jimnms wrote on May 29, 2012, 23:30:
to see my computer bellowing smoke and flames out the PSU.

thats what happens when you let dust build up inside there

dont be stupid - thats the real message

its pretty broad advice

Go forth, and kill!

3. Re: Turn off your PC May 30, 2012, 00:05 Sugarman

^^ what that guy said. I got a cheaper 600 watt for my home rig as I mainly play at my office and kept smelling that hot electronics smell "you know what that smells like", soon enough it just shut off, ends up it took out my hard drive with it so yea, never skimp on the power supply.  

2. Re: Turn off your PC May 29, 2012, 23:41 Tom

Never go cheap with the power supply.  

1. Turn off your PC May 29, 2012, 23:30 jimnms

I've always turn mine off when I'm sleeping or not at home. I don't see the point in leaving it running 24/7 if its not doing anything. If you want another reason, it could save your house from burning down. I left mine running once when I just popped out for a few minutes. Those few minutes turned into a couple of hours. I got home, threw my keys on the desk went to the kitchen and came back to see my computer bellowing smoke and flames out the PSU. If I had stayed out 5 or 10 more minutes I may not have had a house to come home to.  

Steam Profile

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo