Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Divinity: Original Sin Announced

Larian Studios announces Divinity: Original Sin, a top-down RPG in the works for release next year for Windows and OS X that will serve as a prequel to their Divinity series which began with Divine Divinity and followed with Beyond Divinity and Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga. There's already a first-hand preview of the game on RPGWatch, there's a trailer with a look at the game on the official website, and here's word from the announcement:

Larian Studios, the independent games developer from Belgium best known for the critically acclaimed "Divine Divinity" and "Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga" role-playing games, has unveiled "Divinity: Original Sin," a game that offers pretty much everything you could ever want in a role-playing game, set for release on PC and Mac in 2013.

"Divinity: Original Sin" is the next game in the Divinity universe, and tells the tale of two unlikely heroes - a condemned warrior released from his chains and a mystic heroine restored to life.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 30, 2012, 19:30 Saboth

Jerykk wrote on May 30, 2012, 00:52:
It's a shame this game wasn't a follow up to that, instead of a top down thing. The first person point of view is what I loved about the game.

Divinity 2 was third-person.

It's semantics... but the bottom line is that it is NOT 2D, which is the first thing that pops into one's head when "Top Down" is mentioned.

The perspective has nothing to do with whether or not a game is 2D. Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, etc, were all 2D isometric games. The characters, environments, collision, physics, pathfinding, lighting, etc, were all 2D. Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, etc, were also 2D. They just used some engine tricks to make it seem 3D, though this illusion kinda broke when you looked up or down. I think Descent was the first real 3D game.

Heh, I had to load Div 2 to check, because I remembered it as 1st person, and it had been awhile, but yup, 3rd person. I still dislike the top down games isometric games like Dragon Age. There is no scale to anything. When you see a dragon in Skyrim, it's a freaking dragon. In Dragon Age, its a 1 inch tall figurine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 30, 2012, 18:54 HorrorScope

The torch goes from Bioware over to Larian. True turned based party CRPG sweetness.  

22. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 30, 2012, 17:14 Zadig

Divine Divinity was a nice hybrid of Diablo and Baldur's Gate. I especially liked the music which I still listen to, so it's great to see another old school version getting made again.  

21. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 30, 2012, 02:39 eRe4s3r

Man this looks incredible.. never expected they actually come out with a proper divinity ever again. (I didn't hate, but didn't love DKS) it was too far away from Divinity.  

20. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 30, 2012, 00:52 Jerykk

It's a shame this game wasn't a follow up to that, instead of a top down thing. The first person point of view is what I loved about the game.

Divinity 2 was third-person.

It's semantics... but the bottom line is that it is NOT 2D, which is the first thing that pops into one's head when "Top Down" is mentioned.

The perspective has nothing to do with whether or not a game is 2D. Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, etc, were all 2D isometric games. The characters, environments, collision, physics, pathfinding, lighting, etc, were all 2D. Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, etc, were also 2D. They just used some engine tricks to make it seem 3D, though this illusion kinda broke when you looked up or down. I think Descent was the first real 3D game.

This comment was edited on May 30, 2012, 00:57.

19. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 29, 2012, 21:44 dumpy

I've played, but never finished, Divine Divinity. Pretty awesome game, even if the perspective was a little wonky. The new game appears to have a resemblance to the original Dungeon Siege, which was all kinds of awesome. Larian definitely deserve credit for the colossal DKS patch they released, similar to Witcher Enhanced editions.  

18. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 29, 2012, 19:43 Saboth

JediPunisher wrote on May 29, 2012, 18:19:
Divine Divinity is on my list of the 10 best crpgs of all time.
It felt like this blend of Ultima and Diablo was made by people who really love rpgs (much as CD Projekt Red's The Witcher is today)...
but I'll wager those people didn't work on the lackluster sequels.

Those that missed it should really check it out... It's a far better game than Diablo 3.

Me too. I loved Divinity 2. One of those rare instances where you buy a game that you hadn't heard anything about and totally love it. One of the few games I've actually played through more than once (really rare for me.)

17. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 29, 2012, 18:19 JediPunisher

Divine Divinity is on my list of the 10 best crpgs of all time.
It felt like this blend of Ultima and Diablo was made by people who really love rpgs (much as CD Projekt Red's The Witcher is today)...
but I'll wager those people didn't work on the lackluster sequels.

Those that missed it should really check it out... It's a far better game than Diablo 3.

16. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 29, 2012, 16:05 Creston

I quite enjoyed Divinity 2. Bought it for 15 bucks and got an easy 40 hours of fun out of it.

Creston

15. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 29, 2012, 14:57 avianflu

if it can return to the fun of the very first game, they have my $$.

14. Re: matthew@welchkin.net May 29, 2012, 14:35 wtf_man

Slashman wrote on May 29, 2012, 14:08:
Hmmmm...OK, who started the top down rumor?

If you watch the video on the official web site, the devs themselves say it's top down.

Technically, from what I can tell after looking at examples from other games... it's neither top down nor isometric... it's more of a frontal 3/4 view.

Full isometric is not only 3/4 view, but view is also tilted at a certain angle.... like two converging hallways would make an upside down 'V'... whereas this game is more of a straight frontal angle, and two converging hallways would make an upside down 'L'.

EDIT: I take it back after looking at more screenshots... it looks like there are isometric angles in there as well. It appears you can spin the camera around like NWN... so yeah... I'd have to say it is isometric.

This comment was edited on May 29, 2012, 14:53.

13. Re: matthew@welchkin.net May 29, 2012, 14:08 Slashman

Hmmmm...OK, who started the top down rumor?

I'll keep my eye on it but I did kinda like the DKS.

Looks like there is a bunch of aRPGs to play coming up and I'm not lamenting my D3 boycott at all.

12. Re: matthew@welchkin.net May 29, 2012, 13:40 Cutter

Watter wrote on May 29, 2012, 12:56:
Cutter wrote on May 29, 2012, 11:38:
If they throw in an editor I'll be happy as a pig in poo.

From the article:
Original Sin can be modded. The same toolset as is used by the developers will be delivered as part of the game. Also, all the objects, tile sets and characters in the game will be delivered together with the toolset. There is no programming skill required to use the engine as they have made things very simple to use.

Mods can be placed on Steam Workshop to create a community in which mods can be shared or even sold and where you can play these mods together.

Thanks, as I missed that. Ok this is a day one pruchase for sure now.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

11. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 29, 2012, 13:26 dheer

StingingVelvet wrote on May 29, 2012, 13:02:
Looks awesome, loving this string of old-school RPGs on new engines.
Indeed. Never thought games like this would be popular again and I'm happy I was wrong.

I wonder if he reads them, or if it's just for show.

10. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 29, 2012, 13:19 wtf_man

Yeah... that looks isometric to me... not top-down.  

9. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 29, 2012, 13:02 StingingVelvet

Looks awesome, loving this string of old-school RPGs on new engines.  

8. matthew@welchkin.net May 29, 2012, 12:56 Watter

Cutter wrote on May 29, 2012, 11:38:
If they throw in an editor I'll be happy as a pig in poo.

From the article:
Original Sin can be modded. The same toolset as is used by the developers will be delivered as part of the game. Also, all the objects, tile sets and characters in the game will be delivered together with the toolset. There is no programming skill required to use the engine as they have made things very simple to use.

Mods can be placed on Steam Workshop to create a community in which mods can be shared or even sold and where you can play these mods together.

7. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 29, 2012, 12:52 LittleMe

The world graphics look okay in a cartoonish way but I don't like the the kiddie graphic style of the monsters/creatures.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

6. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 29, 2012, 12:04 Frijoles

Looks interesting. Looks fun as multiplayer. I have no friends though.  

5. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 29, 2012, 12:02 PHJF

Divine Divinity followed with Beyond Divinity, but I understand why one would want to willfully repress memories of that game.

I say more power to them. DKS was OK, but DDiv was the bigger, better of the two.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo