Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Diablo III Balance Changes

A Game Design Update on the Diablo III Website speaks of player comments about balance in Blizzard's action/RPG sequel, and offers an overview of their philosophy towards tweaking the game. They offer some statistics on how the game is being played, say the next patch will be mainly to address service issues, and that the version 1.03 patch that will follow will offer their first-post release balance changes. They also go into detail on the issues that play into balancing Inferno mode, and their outlook on that. Here's an overview on patching versus hotfixes for balance:

Regarding the changes to Lingering Fog, Boon of Protection, and Force Armor: we determined these skills were simply more powerful than they should be, and we felt their impact on class balance and how each class was perceived warranted hotfixes as soon as we were able. However, we don't want you to be worried that a hotfix nerf is lurking around the corner every day. If a skill is strong, but isn't really breaking the game, we want you to have your fun. Part of the enjoyment of Diablo is finding those super-strong builds, and we want players to be excited to use something they discovered that feels overpowered. A good example of this is the monk Overawe rune, which many players have identified as being quite good. We agree it's good, but we don't think it's so far out of line that we're going to swoop in and hotfix it out of existence.

View
103 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

103. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 30, 2012, 05:50 InBlack

Good stuff, yeah perparation is absolutely essential. Going to try SS instead of Bat Companion or even Caltrops, although Caltrops are just too damn good.....dilemmas, dilemmas...  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

102. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 16:32 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on May 29, 2012, 14:20:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 29, 2012, 14:16:
The trouble is that it now only lasts 1 second (2 seconds with Lingering Fog), which is pretty much taking the piss. I'll have a play around with it though.

The nerf didn't really hurt it much, two seconds in Diablo is still insane. It's absolutely huge when you could have eaten several life bars worth of damage in that same time period. Vault doesn't get you out of many situations that Smoke Screen does. There is just no downside to using it and Prep lets you get off several back to back. It's a life saver vs Hell+ packs, bosses and just unforeseen crap.

Prep with that battle scar rune has saved my life more times than I can possibly count.

101. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 14:20 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 29, 2012, 14:16:
The trouble is that it now only lasts 1 second (2 seconds with Lingering Fog), which is pretty much taking the piss. I'll have a play around with it though.

The nerf didn't really hurt it much, two seconds in Diablo is still insane. It's absolutely huge when you could have eaten several life bars worth of damage in that same time period. Vault doesn't get you out of many situations that Smoke Screen does. There is just no downside to using it and Prep lets you get off several back to back. It's a life saver vs Hell+ packs, bosses and just unforeseen crap.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

100. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 14:16 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on May 29, 2012, 14:08:
Smoke screen is pretty much invaluable, its an almost spammable invulnerability. Combined with Preparation it lets you survive a lot of crazy shit. Vault + Tumble is pretty decent for getting around crap in the lower difficulties though. It's a really fun ability too, I wish they put more thought into balance for Inferno as there are a lot of cool builds you just can't really pull off.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

99. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 14:08 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 29, 2012, 13:40:
Nice. That really got me to look at my build. I based my build off yours, except I swapped out Multishot for Rapid Fire, and Shadows Power for Vault. It made a HUGE difference. I'm still considering whether to swap out Vault for Smoke Screen, as although the latter has been nerfed it still gets you out of prisons.

Smoke screen is pretty much invaluable, its an almost spammable invulnerability. Combined with Preparation it lets you survive a lot of crazy shit. Vault + Tumble is pretty decent for getting around crap in the lower difficulties though. It's a really fun ability too, I wish they put more thought into balance for Inferno as there are a lot of cool builds you just can't really pull off.

98. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 13:49 SectorEffector

Overon wrote on May 29, 2012, 12:55:

He enjoys the game so he paid for it, but he wishes the maintenance and always online wasn't the case - not very complicated I think.
Actually how did he enjoy the game before he played it? Maybe he started enjoying the game because he did pay 60 bucks and cognitive dissonance hits and resolves by telling himself he enjoys the game. Or you can say that he thought he would likely enjoy the game so he paid for it. There is more than 1 possibility.

I have played it on an off since day 1 and I only got to act 4, haven't had a chance to beat it because of work. (14 hour to 16 hour days ) I really enjoy it so far, but I'm getting worried hearing about how ridiculous Inferno is. Along with not being able to play when I get home because of another random Update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

97. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 13:40 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on May 29, 2012, 10:47:
This is the build I use.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aQYgVT!beT!aacabZ
Nice. That really got me to look at my build. I based my build off yours, except I swapped out Multishot for Rapid Fire, and Shadows Power for Vault. It made a HUGE difference. I'm still considering whether to swap out Vault for Smoke Screen, as although the latter has been nerfed it still gets you out of prisons.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

96. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 12:55 Overon

He enjoys the game so he paid for it, but he wishes the maintenance and always online wasn't the case - not very complicated I think.
Actually how did he enjoy the game before he played it? Maybe he started enjoying the game because he did pay 60 bucks and cognitive dissonance hits and resolves by telling himself he enjoys the game. Or you can say that he thought he would likely enjoy the game so he paid for it. There is more than 1 possibility.

95. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 12:09 AngelicPenguin

Kastagir wrote on May 29, 2012, 11:58:
SectorEffector wrote on May 29, 2012, 06:12:
Sempai wrote on May 29, 2012, 06:08:
Tried logging in, servers are full, got put in a server Queue.

This is awesome!

it's a maintenance update, I hate how we can't even play at all, I work late and this was the only time I could play.. DOH

You bought a Blizzard game that requires that you log in and stay online to play. By giving them your money you've condoned this business practice, so I'm not sure what you expect.

94. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 11:58 Kastagir

SectorEffector wrote on May 29, 2012, 06:12:
Sempai wrote on May 29, 2012, 06:08:
Tried logging in, servers are full, got put in a server Queue.

This is awesome!

it's a maintenance update, I hate how we can't even play at all, I work late and this was the only time I could play.. DOH

You bought a Blizzard game that requires that you log in and stay online to play. By giving them your money you've condoned this business practice, so I'm not sure what you expect.

93. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 11:23 Muscular Beaver

Verno wrote on May 29, 2012, 10:16:

Wrong too. People like me just came from Hell and dont have much resist gear (but still quite good) and nowhere near 50k HP.
People like you need to l2read.

This is really the problem with Inferno in general, most of the gear required to do Inferno comes from Inferno itself. You do a lot of farming and AHing since the drop rates are so random and lower in general due to instanced loot.

All my equipment is from AH. Prolly early Inferno rare stuff (level 54 to 59), and a 800 dps weapon. Im trying to buy more level 60 gear but even with a million gold you can only buy one or two good item pieces.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

92. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 11:19 Verno

InBlack wrote on May 29, 2012, 10:54:
Do the tentacles roll critical hits too??

Yep, all of the Elemental Arrow stuff does. Lightning Ball crits at a reduced damage percentage but has a larger AoE, Tentacles has a smaller AoE but crits for full damage. It's pretty crucial to latter Inferno stuff IMO.

91. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 11:17 DarkCntry

You know what Champs are best? The Wasp/Bees that shoot little bees, coupled with Desecration, Chains, Vampire, and Teleport....

Just last night, I had two Champ groups that I somehow entered next to, one was the Wasp/Bees above teamed with the sneaking Vipers that had Waller, Jailer, and (wait for it), Electricity.

I lasted about 2 seconds. Seriously those buffs need to have exclusions, desecration and either Jailer or lag-happy Frozen are way too overpowered on every upper difficulty. Lost a level 38 HC Witch Doctor thanks to a couple of them.

90. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 10:54 InBlack

Do the tentacles roll critical hits too??  

89. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 10:51 Verno

InBlack wrote on May 29, 2012, 10:47:
Hmm interesting choice, gonna have to try Elemental Arrow, I like its low hatred cost. Also never noticed that particular rune for it, shame on me. I assume you use Rapid Fire vs single monsters/bosses??

This is the build I use.

Yeah Rapid Fire + Fire Support is strictly for group play and to help avoid engage timers and whatnot. Elemental Arrow is godly, it's built almost like Frozen Orb was in D2. The Frost Arrow is nice too (the snare goes through shielding even if the damage doesnt) but Nether Tentacles hits everything in its path, sometimes multiple times. I used Lightning Ball all throughout Hell and it was pretty nice too.

88. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 10:47 InBlack

Hmm interesting choice, gonna have to try Elemental Arrow, I like its low hatred cost. Also never noticed that particular rune for it, shame on me. I assume you use Rapid Fire vs single monsters/bosses??

This is the build I use.

87. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 10:44 Wallshadows

Spend a week farming Act 1 Inferno to do Act 2: terrible disappointment.
Spend a half hour on the AH: It's super effective!

I'm just waiting for Blizzard to nerf Revenge + Provocation now.

86. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 10:21 InBlack

Two words. Enhanced Walk/Run speed. Ok thats 4 words, forgot what the exact modifier is called.

Got 10% on my boots and 6% on my Hammer Jammers. (Great name for pants, best legendary Blizzard has named yet)

85. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 10:16 Verno

InBlack wrote on May 29, 2012, 10:11:
Right now my 4th utility is Bat Companion, the 4 Hatred per second is very nice but I guess I will have to part with my trusty bat to try SS....

Yeah that's what I use when I'm not using caltrops. In fact I normally run with the bat, I just assumed you didn't because you had space for the other stuff you mentioned I find you don't really need Caltrops if you run with a monk/WD anyway, it helps but you can do without it. Quite often if you need the escape that badly it's because you rolled a fast pack and you'll be dead anyway. Solo is a different story of course. This is the run of the mill DH build I use 99% of the time, one of the few that works on Inferno I've found.

Wrong too. People like me just came from Hell and dont have much resist gear (but still quite good) and nowhere near 50k HP.
People like you need to l2read.

This is really the problem with Inferno in general, most of the gear required to do Inferno comes from Inferno itself. You do a lot of farming and AHing since the drop rates are so random and lower in general due to instanced loot.

This comment was edited on May 29, 2012, 10:23.

84. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 29, 2012, 10:13 Luke

Theo wrote on May 29, 2012, 09:41:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 29, 2012, 09:36:
Verno wrote on May 29, 2012, 09:17:
Right now the game has become more about what absurd amount of gold I can attain by selling Inferno gear on the AH.
Ok, I gotta ask. What magnitude of gold are we talking about? 10s of thousands? 100s of thousands? millions?

I would hazzard a guess at lots of millions if he is in ac4 of inferno
This game should be called di...AH... blo 3 jezz

103 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo