Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars Game Announcement This Week

MCV says a new Star Wars game will be revealed on May 31st as part of Spike TV's pre-E3 coverage, reports MCV. There are no details at this point other than the reveal will apparently include in-game footage.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 30, 2012, 09:27 Jackplug

Why do they have to make em, its not as though were gonna ever buy em is it?!?!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 17:25 Creston

Fantaz wrote on May 28, 2012, 17:19:
I'm picking up my blaster,
put it on my side.
I'm jumpin' in my Falcon
Wookie at my side.

I'm solo, I'm Han Solo,
I'm Han Solo.
I'm Han Solo. Solo

*double blaster*
*chewy hug*
*Solo pose!*

Cry

Creston

41. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 17:22 Creston

I give it a premature four dismissive wanks. I'm leaving room to update it to the much-coveted FIVE dismissive wanks when it's announced.

Creston

40. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 14:35 NegaDeath

Fire mode toggle could be mapped to the fire button like they did on the Gamecube Rogue Squadron games. That way you can free up a button for other functions.

Hold button for rapid fire
Quick tap for dual fire
Slow tap for quad fire

39. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 13:40 Darkmancer

Just thinking about x-box control scheme for tie-fighter:

Left Shoulder Button .- “ Shift Key” .1

A . Fire Primary Weapon
A.1 Change Primary Fire Mode

B. Fire Secondary Weapon
B.1 or Hold Down - Change Sec Wep / Countermeasures

X.Cycle Enemies
X. Hold Down – Target Nearest Enemy

X.1 Cycle Friends
X.1 Hold Down – Target / Cycle thou Objectives

Y - Change Speed 1/3,2/3/full
Y- Held Down Match Speed

Right Shoulder - Button Change Shield Balance

Right Trigger/Right Stick. Change Squad Orders
(Attack/Defend Target, Defend Me, Defend/Attack Objective, Bugger Off)
Right Trigger Held Down Bring in reinforcements

D Pad
Left/Right – Select Engine/Shield/Guns
Up/Down – Increase/Decrease Power

Hmm I want my tie fighter update

38. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 11:30 NegaDeath

panbient wrote on May 29, 2012, 06:35:
Guessing you never actually played those games since you NEEDED to own a joystick / flight stick to actually do anything besides look at the menus.

I played through TIE fighter in it's entirety using only a mouse and keyboard, worked fine.

37. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 10:00 kanniballl

nin wrote on May 29, 2012, 09:56:
20+ keys on a keyboard + 1 joystick (with X buttons)

to:
1 XBox Controller (and that's it)

Actually, the more I think about it it might not be that bad since the XBox controller has 8 regular buttons + 4 DPad buttons + 2 ThumbClicks

So 12 decent buttons + 2 crummy ones.

Pretty sure you could hold down one button while using another. So you could use the U/D on a D pad for one thing, and then hold down a button while using U/D on the D pad for another.

Not that that would be fun or anything...I certainty wouldn't want it.

Just think! More thought had gone into a XWing/TIE sequel in this thread than Lucasarts every has!

Nah, which is why I didn't bother even discussing 2-button-combos (Left Trigger + DLeft == cover that target). I hate them in slow games... in a fast-paced space sim they would infuriate me.

If they had to use the baseline number of buttonsr of the XBox controller then we could still end up with a full featured game. If we could optionally bind those to Keyboard + Flight Stick then we could still have a good game that can "fit" onto an XBox Controller for people that want to / need to use it.

Left-thumb = flight control (click to target in front of you)
Right-thumb = throttle (click to match speed)

That gives us at least 12 13 buttons for:
- fire weapon
- toggle weapon
- toggle weapon x-fire
- cycle laser recharge
- cycle shield recharge
- give laser -> shield
- give shield -> laser
- 1/3 speed
- nearest enemy
- nearest protection-objective
- cycle enemies
- cycle friendlies
- Command squadron to attack/defend/HELP

That doesn't cover ALL of the old game, but enough that it wouldn't feel too crippled. Spread those across a solid flight stick and/or keyboard and you have the potential for a solid space sim.

-

This comment was edited on May 29, 2012, 10:18.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

36. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 09:56 nin

to:

Actually, the more I think about it it might not be that bad since the XBox controller has 8 regular buttons + 4 DPad buttons + 2 ThumbClicks

Pretty sure you could hold down one button while using another. So you could use the U/D on a D pad for one thing, and then hold down a button while using U/D on the D pad for another.

Not that that would be fun or anything...I certainty wouldn't want it.

Just think! More thought had gone into a XWing/TIE sequel in this thread than Lucasarts every has!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

35. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 09:46 kanniballl

panbient wrote on May 29, 2012, 06:35:
Ceribaen wrote on May 29, 2012, 05:05:
I don't understand why we've never seen them take XWing, TIE Fighter, and XvT and combine them into one upgraded package. There's a kickstarter I'd get behind.

Of course, they'd probably dumb down the controls and build it for XBOX/PS3 first - and forget to give a configurable keyboard layout in the PC version, expecting you to use a console controller to play.

Guessing you never actually played those games since you NEEDED to own a joystick / flight stick to actually do anything besides look at the menus.

Umm, I think Ceribean was complaining about the (most likely) scenario that the game company would dumb down the controls so you can run the whole thing on an XBOX CONTROLLER. Since most games are migrating that way for the whole MS Certification + hopes of going onto Consoles.

Not that you'd need a joystick, but that it would be watered down to go

to:

If you could optionally map those to a Keyboard+FlightStick that would be enough to run the game fairly close enough to the old specs. You'd lose some features (some of which were very handy) but otherwise it could be close enough

-

This comment was edited on May 29, 2012, 09:52.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

34. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 09:14 bhcompy

Probably Star Wars: Minecraft  

33. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 09:13 MattyC

TheEmissary wrote on May 29, 2012, 00:53:
I hope it is either X-Wing vs Tie Fighter or Battlefront 3. Beyond that I kind of lost interest where the Star Wars games have gone. I really enjoyed games like KOTOR but TOR kind of killed any hopes of singleplayer sequels to that game.

Which is sad because with some tweaks here and there they had the basics of a solid single player game. It almost felt like they started with that in mind and then cut it off 1/2way and tried to wedge in the MMO bit. :/

32. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 08:26 InBlack

If its not space sim related (X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Hell I would settle even for some of those 'Style' fighters from Naboo.....erm on second thought NO) then I couldnt care less.  

I have a nifty blue line!

31. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 07:58 Ceribaen

I have the same joystick still (Sidewinder Pro)from my XvT days (remember the Weeks of War on the old MS matchmaking site(can't think of the name now)? I used to fly a TIE Bomber in the early ones and hold my own), but initially played the original XWing with kb/m, complete with having the overlay sitting on top of the keyboard.

The point was more they'd just dumb down the controls to about 6 actions total and wouldn't be able to remap anything.

30. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 06:35 panbient

Ceribaen wrote on May 29, 2012, 05:05:
I don't understand why we've never seen them take XWing, TIE Fighter, and XvT and combine them into one upgraded package. There's a kickstarter I'd get behind.

Of course, they'd probably dumb down the controls and build it for XBOX/PS3 first - and forget to give a configurable keyboard layout in the PC version, expecting you to use a console controller to play.

29. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 05:05 Ceribaen

Of course, they'd probably dumb down the controls and build it for XBOX/PS3 first - and forget to give a configurable keyboard layout in the PC version, expecting you to use a console controller to play. Oh and there would be no offline single player version... Though maybe we'd get coop online campaigns. And to use certain classes of ships like a TIE Advanced - well that's all Zero Day DLC available for purchase! And then micro-transactions... skins for your ships, decals to add on... configurable equipment to upgrade over time!

... Okay, maybe I'll just hope some day the entire XWing series shows up on GOG instead.

28. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 03:54 deqer

Kosumo wrote on May 28, 2012, 21:48:
Yodie
Is that a replacement for Jar Jar Binks?

27. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 03:00 entr0py

What, only one Star Wars game this year? That is newsworthy.  

26. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 01:13 Prez

I hope it's an interactive version of the Star Wars Christmas Special from 1978.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=323909610753051544

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 00:53 TheEmissary

I hope it is either X-Wing vs Tie Fighter or Battlefront 3. Beyond that I kind of lost interest where the Star Wars games have gone. I really enjoyed games like KOTOR but TOR kind of killed any hopes of singleplayer sequels to that game.  

24. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 28, 2012, 21:59 NegaDeath

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 28, 2012, 18:45:
Heretic! Anyone who doesn't use The Chewbacca song from Clerks needs help.

I see your rap and raise you some disco. Horrible, horrible disco.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo