Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Digital Chocolate Layoffs? Hawkins Out As CEO

Gaming pioneer Trip Hawkins has stepped down from his position as CEO of social/mobile games developer Digital Chocolate, according to a report on TechCrunch, which cites an update on the company's blog that currently returns a 404 "not found" error where Hawkins explains he is "transitioning into a consulting and advisory relationship with Digital Chocolate." They also have an unsubstantiated report that Marc Metis is now interim CEO after serving as president of the company, and that Digital Chocolate has laid off up to 180 staff in India, San Mateo, Russia, and other territories. Though the layoffs are unconfirmed, they note a tweet indicating that "the doors have closed" for Digital Chocolate Mexico.

Coincidentally, today is the 30th anniversary of the launch of Electronic Arts, which Hawkins founded on May 28, 1982. The AIAS Hall-of-Famer also formed the ill-fated 3DO company in 1991 before creating Digital Chocolate in 2003.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Digital Chocolate Layoffs? Hawkins Out As CEO May 29, 2012, 11:21 Fibrocyte

Have a nice, Trip.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Digital Chocolate Layoffs? Hawkins Out As CEO May 29, 2012, 02:53 Fantaz

sdgundamx wrote on May 28, 2012, 21:23:
As a former employee of 3DO, my heart goes out to those who got laid off, but it's not surprising at all.

When 3DO was having problems, Trip Hawkins held a meeting for the staff. I personally asked him if we would be getting our final paychecks in the event the company declared bankruptcy (I'd been burned at a previous company) on time (payday was in 2 weeks) and he said unequivocally "yes."

3DO closed its doors permanently a week later, and guess what? No paychecks.

That was in 2003.

The bankruptcy courts finally approved the distribution of employee paychecks in 2010.

Trip Hawkins is an egotistical liar. I have no idea how he convinced investors to give him money to startup Digital Chocolate after he ran 3DO into the ground. But I guess they're learning the hard way now about who he really is.

Oh damn, I'm seeing your post history now sdgundamx... You really dislike the Hawkins. (sounds like a douche)

4. Re: Digital Chocolate Layoffs? Hawkins Out As CEO May 28, 2012, 22:18 cento

Oh don't forget about that last E3 push just before the doors got locked - so many people who fronted the money to go out of pocket and got left with unpaid expense reports. Such a damn disaster.  

3. Re: Digital Chocolate Layoffs? Hawkins Out As CEO May 28, 2012, 21:23 sdgundamx

As a former employee of 3DO, my heart goes out to those who got laid off, but it's not surprising at all.

When 3DO was having problems, Trip Hawkins held a meeting for the staff. I personally asked him if we would be getting our final paychecks in the event the company declared bankruptcy (I'd been burned at a previous company) on time (payday was in 2 weeks) and he said unequivocally "yes."

3DO closed its doors permanently a week later, and guess what? No paychecks.

That was in 2003.

The bankruptcy courts finally approved the distribution of employee paychecks in 2010.

Trip Hawkins is an egotistical liar. I have no idea how he convinced investors to give him money to startup Digital Chocolate after he ran 3DO into the ground. But I guess they're learning the hard way now about who he really is.

2. Re: Digital Chocolate Layoffs? Hawkins Out As CEO May 28, 2012, 20:38 cento

Keep running those companies into the ground, Trip!  

1. Re: Digital Chocolate Layoffs? Hawkins Out As CEO May 28, 2012, 13:14 Fantaz

This is really sad... Digital Chocolate made some really GOOD mobile games that I enjoyed playing. Hopefully they will continue operations and make addictive games.  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo