Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Aliens: Colonial Marines and Delays (Or Lack Thereof)

An interview on Strategy Informer sits down with Brian Burleson of Gearbox Software about Aliens: Colonial Marines, their long-awaited first-person shooter based on the Aliens movies. They discuss the influence of the coming Prometheus movie on the project, uncover some details about the story, and learn what needs to be done to get the game set for release. Interestingly, Brian contends the  recently announced February 2013 release date does not represent a delay for this game that was first revealed in 2006, but back in 2008 SEGA did in fact formally announce the game was due later that year. Then in early 2009 they stated the game would be released that year, though by that summer it was announced it was being held back for the release of Rebellion's ill-fated Aliens versus Predator. Most recently, when rumors emerged that the game would not be released in 2011, Gearbox president Randy Pitchford was  quick to say "It looks to me like whomever made that post on NeoGAF made an interpretation that could be misleading or inaccurate."

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: On Aliens: Colonial Marines and Delays (Or Lack Thereof) May 29, 2012, 06:00 InBlack

Jerykk wrote on May 29, 2012, 03:09:
Aliens already had the advantage of wider FoV in the AvP games. Their enhanced awareness helps balance out their lack of ranged attacks vs marines.

Exactly, and it fits in nicely into the lore as well. Aliens (as far as i know) dont have 'eyes'. It would make sense that they are much more aware of their surroundings due to some alien sensory apparatus than your average human.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: On Aliens: Colonial Marines and Delays (Or Lack Thereof) May 29, 2012, 03:09 Jerykk

Aliens already had the advantage of wider FoV in the AvP games. Their enhanced awareness helps balance out their lack of ranged attacks vs marines.  

12. Re: On Aliens: Colonial Marines and Delays (Or Lack Thereof) May 29, 2012, 03:03 Fantaz

3rd person gives people an unfair advantage in multiplayer... should be balanced, and everyone should be on equal ground, so it should only be firstperson imo.  

11. Re: On Aliens: Colonial Marines and Delays (Or Lack Thereof) May 29, 2012, 02:57 Jerykk

I'm about as anti-console as anyone here but how does making Alien gameplay 3rd-person have anything to do with consoles? The latest AvP was designed for consoles and it had first-person Alien gameplay, just like its PC-exclusive predecessors.

I'm guessing the reason why Gearbox went with 3rd person is that it's less work. They already have to make a 3rd-person character mesh, art and anims for multiplayer so going completely 3rd person saves them from having to make viewmodel versions of all of that. It also makes it much easier to handle grapples, which are always tricky in first-person multiplayer games.

10. Re: On Aliens: Colonial Marines and Delays (Or Lack Thereof) May 29, 2012, 00:07 Shataan

totally agree. 3rd pov is a console thing. No way can you convince
me that pc gamers get disoriented playing as aliens... and that
3rd pov is the way to go. Imho... if you wanna take shortcut and not wanna do too much work.. then ya go cheap and do it 3rd pov. Especially when you are making a console version.

9. Re: On Aliens: Colonial Marines and Delays (Or Lack Thereof) May 28, 2012, 23:02 DangerDog

Worst of all is the decision to make Aliens 3rd person when playing some pvp multiplayer mode.  

8. Re: On Aliens: Colonial Marines and Delays (Or Lack Thereof) May 28, 2012, 19:58 dumpy

I remember finding the 2011 E3 demo (work in progress) pretty unimpressive, and yet Randy was so proud of it. This, along with his idiotic commentary didn't sell me. Like all Alien FPS before, expect this to be linear and scripted (not necessarily a bad thing). Expect Quicktime events, because mashing mouse1 is SOOO fun. Expect Randy to deliver PR bull.

The new trailer looks more impressive than 2011 E3 demo, but I'm not sitting on the edge of my seat for this one. Once released, read read read the reviews, then choose to buy.

7. Re: On Aliens: Colonial Marines and Delays (Or Lack Thereof) May 28, 2012, 19:49 William Usher

Jerykk wrote on May 28, 2012, 18:39:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 28, 2012, 15:05:
I perfectly understand putting a positive spin on things in interviews but it's pretty hard to state the game wasn't delayed when Blue links to the previous press releases that confirm it is. They made a joke of the DNF delay so what's so different about ACM?

Anyway, I'm just hoping it's not going to be a linear and scripted as the trailers have so far suggested. And it would be nice if the graphics on PC were better than the trailers, as low resolution textures and low polygon models aren't going to impress anyone - especially when AVP featured DX11 tessellation.

Sadly, I believe that the game will be just as linear and scripted as the trailers suggest and the graphics just as unimpressive. I saw a gameplay walkthrough at E3 last year and it was pretty much CoD with aliens.

Same feelings here. I seen the walkthroughs, the multiplayer videos and the E3 trailers and I just wasn't impressed. Essentially it's CoD with aliens and it's a little like, do we really need another one of those?

6. Re: On Aliens: Colonial Marines and Delays (Or Lack Thereof) May 28, 2012, 18:39 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 28, 2012, 15:05:
I perfectly understand putting a positive spin on things in interviews but it's pretty hard to state the game wasn't delayed when Blue links to the previous press releases that confirm it is. They made a joke of the DNF delay so what's so different about ACM?

Anyway, I'm just hoping it's not going to be a linear and scripted as the trailers have so far suggested. And it would be nice if the graphics on PC were better than the trailers, as low resolution textures and low polygon models aren't going to impress anyone - especially when AVP featured DX11 tessellation.

Sadly, I believe that the game will be just as linear and scripted as the trailers suggest and the graphics just as unimpressive. I saw a gameplay walkthrough at E3 last year and it was pretty much CoD with aliens.

5. Re: On Aliens: Colonial Marines and Delays (Or Lack Thereof) May 28, 2012, 15:54 DangerDog

October/November is too jammed up with Call of Duty frenzy, this is just spin for not wanting to go up against that juggernaut franchise.

they also want to push Borderlands 2, why compete with yourself when you have so many other games to contend with also.

4. Re: On Aliens: Colonial Marines and Delays (Or Lack Thereof) May 28, 2012, 15:06 Cutter

This thing has stank writ all over it!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: On Aliens: Colonial Marines and Delays (Or Lack Thereof) May 28, 2012, 15:05 theyarecomingforyou

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

2. Re: On Aliens: Colonial Marines and Delays (Or Lack Thereof) May 28, 2012, 15:00 Wildone

DNKF  

1. Re: On Aliens: Colonial Marines and Delays (Or Lack Thereof) May 28, 2012, 13:56 Mad Max RW

More bullshit from the bullshitters.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo