Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

GOG.com’s Trevor Longino - Diablo III style DRM could make us ‘lose a chunk of gaming history.”
Games like Diablo III with bespoke constantly online DRM could be lost to gaming culture at large if for any reason the games publisher or developer stops supporting that infrastructure. So when you lose that online connection, you lose a chunk of gaming history.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 13:14 Ant

...Bah...I was still waking up. I don't usually do that.

Thanks grammar police person!! Dunce
No problems. You can call me a grammar nazi.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 11:48 Slashman

Ant wrote on May 29, 2012, 09:40:
Slashman wrote on May 29, 2012, 09:30:
See this is what I don't get.

All reviews say basically the same things: Weak/overdone story, the obvious always online downside, doesn't innovate or add anything significant to the genre, normal mode too easy and item stats are wonky(differences between legendary and rares??). Removal of tweakable stats is questionable.

Then they all go on to say the game is great, give it a 9/10 and advise people to go out and buy it. All of them. Its like they swallowed some kind of mind-altering, Blizzard-slave making drug. Its like if that stuff was present in any other game but Diablo 3 it would be getting a 6 or 7. Instead, it gets a 9.
Yeah. Use apostrophe for "its" (it's = it is).

Bah...I was still waking up. I don't usually do that.

Thanks grammar police person!! Dunce

53. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 10:40 Verno

If I had to give it a numbered review it would be a solid 8. They had a long time to make the game and it is missing a lot of features from Diablo 2 and has indications of rushed development despite featuring a very high level of polish in other aspects of the game. I didn't expect a sequel with every single feature from the prior game but they cut out quite a bit and didn't really substitute a lot to add depth. All of that said it's still fun and enjoyable enough for anyone to get their $60 worth and then some. Whether it will be playable in 20 years is anyones guess but D2 is playable on battle.net so who knows.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

52. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 10:27 Bhruic

Then they all go on to say the game is great, give it a 9/10 and advise people to go out and buy it. All of them. Its like they swallowed some kind of mind-altering, Blizzard-slave making drug. Its like if that stuff was present in any other game but Diablo 3 it would be getting a 6 or 7. Instead, it gets a 9.

Well, they likely got something, but it wasn't a drug. Although you can use it to buy drugs, maybe they did that? But, yeah, honest reviews, especially on the major sites, are quite unlikely for any games released by the major publishers. It's been said before, but it hasn't lost any of its truth - game review sites make money directly or indirectly from game publishers. If they start withdrawing that money, the review site goes under. There's a massive economic reason to pad review scores.

51. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 10:17 zombiefan

All reviews say basically the same things: Weak/overdone story, the obvious always online downside, doesn't innovate or add anything significant to the genre, normal mode too easy and item stats are wonky(differences between legendary and rares??). Removal of tweakable stats is questionable.

Well, when your business is based on reviewing games, you can't afford to give a game a bad review when it comes from a large publisher. Because then they can choose not to send you the evaluation copy of their next "AAA" title....neatly wrapped in $100 bills. (What? How did those get there? You can just throw those away...." *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*)

50. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 09:40 Ant

Yeah. Use apostrophe for "its" (it's = it is).

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

49. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 09:30 Slashman

48. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 09:05 Ant

Another reason why I didn't get this game. It wasn't that great from its open beta either. I will wait or never.  

47. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 07:22 Kajetan

Lord Tea wrote on May 29, 2012, 03:16:
Also: if that was the case every copy of D3 would stop working the minute Blizzard decided to drop support for D3 (e.g. because they go out of business for what reason ever). No data-streaming server, no game! So cool!
Blizzard has no interest in culture or society. They dont care if you can play D3 in 20 years or not. They make D3 to make millions of bucks NOW. They make games for people who see in games nothing more than a short distraction from every day life.

Which is ok. I find it very amusing that these kind if games will vanish from history. Nobody will talk about D3 in 20, 30 years. They will talk about Diablo 1 or 2. They will talk about other Diablo clones. But D3 will be forgotten, only known to some experts in gaming history.

46. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 06:31 StingingVelvet

Game preservation is the main reason I dislike DRM and games as a service. I play a LOT of old games, currently I am playing Curse of Monkey Island and Secret of Evermore. If those games required publisher approval to play, who knows if they would work today. If they required active servers I know they wouldn't.

I see games as art and thus I think they should be preserved and available as a part of culture. MMOs and now Diablo 3 are and antithesis of this, they view games as a temporary service that can die and no one cares.

45. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 05:00 shihonage

The reason Diablo3 doesn't have SP is because WoW didn't have SP.

It's quite obvious that D3 is a rush job, probably restarted from scratch sometime in 2008, using a branch of WoW codebase.

They made it just enough to appear like a competent game, but unfortunately it inherited a number of WoW-isms (hearthstone, auction house, visuals, skills, retarded anachronisms like lasers-and-chainguns-by-any-other-name).

But, the most fatal flaw they inherited from WoW is the mentality. WoW has been bludgeoned like an abused housewife ever since Bobby Kotick took charge - they completely redid the skill system, changed a bunch of requirements, a ton of under-the-hood shit, basically making it into a different game.

You see, the problem with Diablo3 is not that it's "beta". The problem is that Blizzard will treat it like an MMO, and MMOs are a beta that never ends.

All those server-end balance tweaks? They will never end. The game will keep fluctuating. Every day you run it, prepare to be caught by surprise by some nerf that you neglected reading in a Blizzard's latest release notes.

This comment was edited on May 29, 2012, 05:08.

44. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 03:16 Lord Tea

Smellfinger wrote on May 29, 2012, 02:28:
Kosumo wrote on May 29, 2012, 01:54:
So Devil's advercate - The DRM works? Are there pirated versions about?

I haven't checked, but there will probably never be a fully fucntional offline crack since the 'brains' of the game appear to be server-side. If that's the case, then the best pirates can hope for are WoW-like 'private' (hacked) servers.

Also: if that was the case every copy of D3 would stop working the minute Blizzard decided to drop support for D3 (e.g. because they go out of business for what reason ever). No data-streaming server, no game! So cool!

UPSA = United Police States of America

43. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 02:28 Smellfinger

Kosumo wrote on May 29, 2012, 01:54:

I haven't checked, but there will probably never be a fully fucntional offline crack since the 'brains' of the game appear to be server-side. If that's the case, then the best pirates can hope for are WoW-like 'private' (hacked) servers.

42. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 01:56 killer_roach

Jerykk wrote on May 29, 2012, 00:47:
No, I'm pretty sure that Diablo 3 got away with it because it's Diablo 3.

Bullseye. I'd point out something else that it would indicate, but it would probably go over pretty poorly around here (just something that pretty basic economic instincts would illustrate with this situation).

41. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 01:54 Kosumo

40. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 01:23 Slashman

Prez wrote on May 29, 2012, 01:11:
The thing is that it doesn't work like Steam.

That was my point actually.

Sorry, I was actually emphasizing your argument, but I guess it did seem like I was making a statement against it.

39. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 01:11 Prez

The thing is that it doesn't work like Steam.

That was my point actually.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 00:47 Jerykk

Kitkoan wrote on May 28, 2012, 23:05:
Jerykk wrote on May 28, 2012, 22:33:

True, but that's assuming that this becomes a standard practice. Diablo 3 got away with it because it's Diablo 3. Very few other brands hold such strength in the PC market. Ubisoft tried it with multiple brands and utterly failed, causing them to eventually revoke the online-only requirement. I'd be surprised if any non-Blizzard game could get away with the same DRM scheme, especially after the issues that people encountered (and are still encountering) since D3's launch.

Diablo 3 got away with it not because it was Diablo 3. It's because "it isn't DRM, its a social function". The thing that Ubisoft didn't try.

Or in another way. Its like Steam. "Its not DRM, its a all-in-one patch-updater, trophy system, in-game web browser and friend service." Its all in how you sell it.

No, I'm pretty sure that Diablo 3 got away with it because it's Diablo 3. The majority of its sales were pre-orders. People would buy it regardless of DRM, reviews, etc. Such is the power of the brand.

Also, you're forgetting that Ubisoft's online-only DRM was (and still is) officially called Uplay, in the guise of offering social functionality and achievements that could actually be used to unlock bonus content. But that wasn't enough to distract people from the fact that arbitrary online-only DRM sucks.

37. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 00:42 TheEmissary

I think lot of you are forgetting that games get relaunched on new mediums and platforms. To say that this game is going to be lost to the digital dark ages is a fairly weak argument. The only thing you could say is that the current version of the game is unlikely to stand the test of time. The game itself will however exist in some form.

36. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 00:33 Slashman

Prez wrote on May 29, 2012, 00:07:
"Its not DRM, its a all-in-one patch-updater, trophy system, in-game web browser and friend service."

Most people either know going in or learn soon enough that Steam is in fact DRM. But it is far less restrictive than Blizzard's garbage and offers more in the way of user conveniences to offset the downsides. Steam does not have to be sold as anything other than what it is, while Blizzard's DRM has to be disguied as something else so as to appear less onerous.

The thing is that it doesn't work like Steam. I can pull my network cable in the middle of all my Steam games and continue to play. If my net is down, I play in offline mode.

B.net may have some social functions built in, but its not like Steam or Impulse when it comes to D3.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo