Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is Memorial Day here in the U.S., commemorating the sacrifices made by soldiers and their families. This is a solemn occasion, which will not benefit from any of my typical attempts at glibness.

Somber Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Slimer.
Build and Destroy Live.
Stories: Cop Fired For Speeding 143 MPH While Drunk Gets Job Back. Thanks Boing Boing.
NYC lawyer loses $100K suit over healthclub that stopped supplying yogurt and cereal.
Science: Schoolboy solves puzzles posed by Sir Isaac Newton that have baffled mathematicians for 350 years.
Media: Clever Dog Has His Own Way Of Climbing On The Counter.
"Imperial March" - (The Mechanical Version).
The Funnies: Nailed it!

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2012, 15:25 jdreyer

JohnnyRotten wrote on May 29, 2012, 13:53:
kanniballl wrote on May 29, 2012, 09:13:
The cop thing kind of surprises me... not that he was speeding, but that he got his job back afterwards.
-

That is the standard practice. It is almost impossible to fire a cop with a union backing him. You can dig up dozens of stories like this from just the last two years.

The union has lots of lawyers on retainer. That's useful for situations like these.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2012, 13:53 JohnnyRotten

The cop thing kind of surprises me... not that he was speeding, but that he got his job back afterwards.
-

That is the standard practice. It is almost impossible to fire a cop with a union backing him. You can dig up dozens of stories like this from just the last two years.

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2012, 10:50 Wowbagger_TIP

Getting caught going over 100MpH is a big deal. In most states they impound your car right away and (I think) throw reckless driving charges at you. And if he was drunk while doing it I don't even know what else that would mean (public endagerment, etc).

My understanding is, having felonies under your belt pretty much kill your chances in GETTING a job as a cop. So I'd think getting them would also end your career... especially something like that.

Doing ONE of those, OK fine... maybe keep the job. But both of those at the same time probably warrants enough felonies to mean no police career.
-
Yes, it makes no sense until you factor in something as simple as corruption in the review commission. What sort of mental gymnastics do you have to engage in to decide to give a guy like that his job back, when his job is to protect and serve the public? It's beyond comprehension.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

14. Space X vs NASA May 29, 2012, 10:26 kanniballl

It doesn't look that bad.

In the NASA pics, some angles show that there's a full blown desk mostly out of view of the camera. So people have a PC in front of them and binders behind them. Most of the posters on that page are assuming that there are zero computers in there since they can't see them.

If something hits the fan (PC outage, network issue, etc) I'd rather have the information on paper behind me than not at all. Especially when lives are on the table as well as Millions of $ of equipment.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2012, 09:13 kanniballl

Getting caught going over 100MpH is a big deal. In most states they impound your car right away and (I think) throw reckless driving charges at you. And if he was drunk while doing it I don't even know what else that would mean (public endagerment, etc).

My understanding is, having felonies under your belt pretty much kill your chances in GETTING a job as a cop. So I'd think getting them would also end your career... especially something like that.

Doing ONE of those, OK fine... maybe keep the job. But both of those at the same time probably warrants enough felonies to mean no police career.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: Schoolby Solves Puzzle May 29, 2012, 02:02 yuastnav

.net_Drifter wrote on May 28, 2012, 23:44:
Fantaz wrote on May 28, 2012, 16:40:
Killer Kane wrote on May 28, 2012, 14:30:
That "schoolby" must be smart...

"Modest Shouryya began solving complicated equations as a six year old but says he's no genius."

How does he have such a low image of himself? He really thinks that he's not a genius even after solving this at 16?

But what, exactly, did he solve?
The story never actually says, only that he "solved two fundamental particle dynamics theories" that "professors claimed they were uncrackable" but that "physicists have previously been able to calculate only by using powerful computers."

So, essentially he solved an uncrackable theory that had already been cracked by a computer?
Did he just come up with a way to crack the theory that didn't involve a computer? A shortcut of sorts?
And as for calculating a baseball's path, I thought they've been able to do that for years.

Basically he solved two mathematical problems relating to Newtonian mechanics.
The only way to solve these equations so far was to use a numerical method which is always only an approximation. A human could do it, too, but not as precise as a computer and definitely not as fast.
That guy basically found an analytical solution to these differential equations, something mathematicians were apparently not able to do so far. An analytical solution is usually an exact solution to a problem because it tries to make as little, or none at all, approximations as possible.
One of the problems was about throwing an object in the gravitational field of a planet (e.g. earth) while under influence of drag or air resistance. There was a an exact solution to the differential equation of the trajectory of a object without drag but none for the one with drag.
The second problem was apparently about throwing an object against a wall and calculating its full trajectory, i.e. also how it bounces back. I am not sure what exactly they mean by that because none of the articles I read was too specific about that, unfortunately, and I also was not able to find a paper with the solutions to these problems.

11. Re: Schoolby Solves Puzzle May 28, 2012, 23:44 .Drifter

Fantaz wrote on May 28, 2012, 16:40:

"Modest Shouryya began solving complicated equations as a six year old but says he's no genius."

How does he have such a low image of himself? He really thinks that he's not a genius even after solving this at 16?

But what, exactly, did he solve?
The story never actually says, only that he "solved two fundamental particle dynamics theories" that "professors claimed they were uncrackable" but that "physicists have previously been able to calculate only by using powerful computers."

So, essentially he solved an uncrackable theory that had already been cracked by a computer?
Did he just come up with a way to crack the theory that didn't involve a computer? A shortcut of sorts?
And as for calculating a baseball's path, I thought they've been able to do that for years.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2012, 23:38 Wowbagger_TIP

MisterBenn wrote on May 28, 2012, 20:24:
I put it to you all that that "clever" dog just tried all possible actions involving those drawers until finally one permutation got him up on top! A cat would have been on top of there in seconds.

BTW I've finally been able to play the Torchlight 2 beta. I am loving it, it really does trigger the Diablo nostalgia. I'm not as bothered by the cartoon style graphics as I thought I might be and the main action is amazing! I just played up to general grell with a bow outlander and have had a blast. The action is really polished and some of the creatures and magic attacks are very well conceived! I'm playing on Veteran and there is not a problem with being to easy at all. I managed to kill Grell without dying but I managed a prolonged state of "oh shit oh shit" for about 5 minutes! I died just the once, opening two trapped chests side by side when on less than half health...

While the game seems promising, I find the skill tree very boring. I believe they're working on changing it, but I'm concerned that they aren't planning additional beta time to test those changes.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2012, 20:24 MisterBenn

I put it to you all that that "clever" dog just tried all possible actions involving those drawers until finally one permutation got him up on top! A cat would have been on top of there in seconds.

BTW I've finally been able to play the Torchlight 2 beta. I am loving it, it really does trigger the Diablo nostalgia. I'm not as bothered by the cartoon style graphics as I thought I might be and the main action is amazing! I just played up to general grell with a bow outlander and have had a blast. The action is really polished and some of the creatures and magic attacks are very well conceived! I'm playing on Veteran and there is not a problem with being to easy at all. I managed to kill Grell without dying but I managed a prolonged state of "oh shit oh shit" for about 5 minutes! I died just the once, opening two trapped chests side by side when on less than half health...

Playing: Path of Exile.

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2012, 19:01 Cutter

nin wrote on May 28, 2012, 16:03:
Time to bust out the World At War blus....

Just had an amazing D3 match with 3 friends. All 3 of them die in the middle of the Belial fight (on nightmare), and I managed to rez all 3, and we go on to win. Couldn't believe it...

Sounds like you were rockin the g-spot! Heh, dunno if you guys get Clone High down there but you need to check it out if you don't, it's friggin hilarious - the JFK clone in particular. He drops lines like....

JFK: Do you mind? Some of us are trying to nail Catherine the Great here... Or should I say Catherine the So-So?!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2012, 17:32 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 28, 2012, 14:32:
After 24 hours of downtime, http://www.woot.com/ is back and better than ever. Now can combine shipping across all of their sites if things are all ordered on same day. 5.00 shipping for all orders in 1 day.

WOOT!

6. Re: Schoolby Solves Puzzle May 28, 2012, 16:40 Fantaz

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2012, 16:03 nin

Time to bust out the World At War blus....

Just had an amazing D3 match with 3 friends. All 3 of them die in the middle of the Belial fight (on nightmare), and I managed to rez all 3, and we go on to win. Couldn't believe it...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2012, 15:11 Cutter

Digging all the old war flicks on TCM, AMC, etc.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2012, 14:32 xXBatmanXx

After 24 hours of downtime, http://www.woot.com/ is back and better than ever. Now can combine shipping across all of their sites if things are all ordered on same day. 5.00 shipping for all orders in 1 day.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

2. Schoolby Solves Puzzle May 28, 2012, 14:30 Killer Kane

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2012, 14:24 jdreyer

Both my grandfathers served in WWII. I'll be calling them both shortly.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo