Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New DayZ Mod for Arma II

The DayZ Mod Website now offers a new version of DayZ, the zombie-themed modification for Arma II, Bohemia Interactive's military shooter sequel. The new version is 1.6.0.1, but we cannot link to the patch notes because the forums for the project are currently offline. Thanks Shok.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 22:45 Evil Timmy

As with the Amazon DD version, you can install ArmaII then install Operation Arrowhead into your ArmaII directory. Voila, CO. Works just fine with DayZ and other mods.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 18:21 Fantaz

Jerykk wrote on May 28, 2012, 17:41:
1AngryGamer wrote on May 28, 2012, 07:05:
No doubt in response to the whole D3 fiasco

What D3 fiasco?

I guess millions of people playing the game cant be wrong eh?

Fucking idiot

Not really sure what you're trying to say. The Diablo 3 fiasco refers to the whole online-only requirement that in turn resulted in millions of people being unable to play the game for the first few days of release. I'm not sure if you agree or disagree, as your belligerent post wasn't very clear.

Edit: Actually, after checking your post history, it's pretty clear that you genuinely don't think there's any issue with D3's online-only requirement. In that case, I'm not sure what I can say. Willful ignorance is a pretty effective defense.

Checking the history I think he should be banned for all the hate... y u so angry, 1AngryGamer?

34. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 17:41 Jerykk

1AngryGamer wrote on May 28, 2012, 07:05:

What D3 fiasco?

Fucking idiot

Not really sure what you're trying to say. The Diablo 3 fiasco refers to the whole online-only requirement that in turn resulted in millions of people being unable to play the game for the first few days of release. I'm not sure if you agree or disagree, as your belligerent post wasn't very clear.

Edit: Actually, after checking your post history, it's pretty clear that you genuinely don't think there's any issue with D3's online-only requirement. In that case, I'm not sure what I can say. Willful ignorance is a pretty effective defense.

33. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 16:19 Dmitri_M

The whole DayZ "phenomenon" amuses me.

Seems there's a lot of people waking up to the best survival game (zombies or no zombies) on PC having been quietly sitting there disguised as a buggy military game.

Praise be to OFP\ArmA mission editor and 11 years of using it. Best value I ever got out of gaming.

32. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 14:05 Fantaz

Shok wrote on May 28, 2012, 13:26:
Fantaz wrote on May 28, 2012, 12:06:
Does the DayZ mod work if you got Arma 2 from GreenMagGaming?

As long as it's Combined Operations. Vanilla Arma2 won't work alone and neither will Operation Arrowhead alone. You need both.

Well it only says Arma II (Download) on my GMG account, so I suppose not... They don't seem to offer Combined Operations.

31. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 13:26 Shok

Fantaz wrote on May 28, 2012, 12:06:

As long as it's Combined Operations. Vanilla Arma2 won't work alone and neither will Operation Arrowhead alone. You need both.

30. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 12:31 J

I solo and I was quite clueless until I found my first map. I even went around, quite by chance, in a big circle and ended up near where I started.

Now I have the map I can take time to figure out where I am and plan where I should go to. Fortunately for me, a couple of people died in a town and had all this useful equipment on them

29. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 12:23 EbowGB

Shok wrote on May 28, 2012, 09:44:

This map...

Loving your work with that link vector map link - cheers for that.

/stops getting lost so quickly

28. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 12:06 Fantaz

27. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 10:07 TangledThorns

I like the realistic premise. This has the ideas of a cool yet brutal MMO.  

26. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 09:44 Shok

If you are going it alone in DayZ, the best advice I can give is find out where you are in the world, then use a map to navigate. It's a lot harder than it sounds but towns and villages have signs and if you continually follow a map you will find your way around eventually.

This map in particular is very detailed and vector based so you can zoom in and see every building outline which helps getting your bearings. It also shows ponds, lakes, and wells clearly when you need to refill those water bottles. It doesn't show deer huts though so look on another map for those. They are great loot spots for just about anything rare and the risk/reward isn't as bad as going into a city/military base.

25. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 09:34 Whiskers

It's kinda sad that people expect so much from a mod (for any game really). These days if whatever someone releases for free as a mod isn't of commercial quality all you hear is bitching and moaning. People also seem to think games are made specifically for them these days, and if they don't like something it should clearly be changed, because, you know, they are so important.

This is compounded by the Arma series not being the most user friendly game ever made. It's "mass appeal" with this mod has brought a lot of new people to the game, which is nice, but most won't stay. It's not CoD simple, and that usually is too much for some.

People make mods for fun in their free time. The fact that people are enjoying Day Z and did not have to pay anything for it is great. The fact so many feel entitled to bitch and moan about stuff not working is sad. The modders make what they want, how they want it, in their free time. If you don't like what they are doing then learn to do the crap they do and spend hours upon hours of your own free time to make it the way you think it should be. Then sit back and prepare to hear what you used to sound like when all the people come whining about how it should have been done. See how much you want to complain after that.

24. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 08:44 EbowGB

It's not about luck, it's about locating the many many resources - youtube videos, websites - that talk you through in explicit detail how to install it.

It's a PITA.
It's an alpha mod for a PC game available via multiple delivery channels, and the PC game has a beta version available as well.
It's going to be a PITA.

On top of that, new folk seem to skim past the "you're not just connecting to the server, you're being tracked via a central DB that isn't part of the vanilla game" - which goes some way to explain the "waiting for server" messages that everyone (to start with) gets annoyed about.

Connection times for me over the weekend to servers in the US and EU (am in UK) varied between 1-2 mins to 10 mins +. That's from the "waiting for server response" stage.

The above will of course lead to being in a pitch-black night with no map/compass/idea where you are, and if you do figure out where you are then the first person who says "hi, yeah, I'm friendly, come over here" may just shoot you in the face for the can of beans in your pack.

So don't rush to get in if your patience is easily tested.

troll/
The whole "it should just work" brigade need to take their entitlement back to fixing the ending of Mass Effect 3, maybe.
/troll

23. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 08:25 SpectralMeat

What's Diablo3 got to do with an ArmA2 mod?  

Steam: SpectralMeat

22. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 07:12 J

Wow, it seems we have an influx of clueless trolls. They may as well be zombies, it's like they're not even trying any more  

21. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 07:05 Angrius Maximis

What D3 fiasco?

Fucking idiot

20. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 06:52 Jerykk

Esoteric wrote on May 28, 2012, 06:09:
This is online only?! No sale! Fucking DRM!

Attempt at sarcasm, I assume? No doubt in response to the whole D3 fiasco. Not really a valid comparison, given that the DayZ experience revolves almost entirely around human interaction, whereas D3 revolves almost entirely around killing AI.

19. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 06:09 Esoteric

This is online only?! No sale! Fucking DRM!  

18. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 03:23 J

I've since figured out that if I reload my clip then the clip I had swaps into the inventory and I end up with partial clips. I've been in the habit of reloading when almost empty so that I don't run out, but doing that in DayZ means I end up with clips that have only a few bullets left in them - not good in a firefight!

At one point I was in a warehouse at night and there was a sudden lightning flash and I thought I saw somebody at the other end. I think it was just the shadows, but I consider that a testament to immersion.

And yeah, filter 1.6.0.1 and just be patient - that seems to work with regards to finding servers.

17. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 02:07 Jerykk

Nice, looks like they got rid of the bandit skins (or so the change list would have me believe). Always thought it was dumb that you could instantly distinguish between hostile and non-hostile players. Completely ruined the paranoia and distrust that should naturally occur during a zombie apocalypse. Also good to see that you can play as a female now. I wonder how that will work out. Will females be less likely to be killed by other players?  

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo