Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New DayZ Mod for Arma II

The DayZ Mod Website now offers a new version of DayZ, the zombie-themed modification for Arma II, Bohemia Interactive's military shooter sequel. The new version is 1.6.0.1, but we cannot link to the patch notes because the forums for the project are currently offline. Thanks Shok.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

16. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 00:07 LittleMe

I had a few problems trying to play today, but after getting 1.6.0.1 and then finding a couple servers that are quick to get 'server response' I had a great time, again. Yesterday I coop'd with three others. Night time with a squad is amazing. At night alone is scary and sometimes overwhelming. Even a simple thing at night like finding a utility closet in the wilderness with a glowing red glow stick freaked me out. Stayed there for ten minutes seeing if someone would come out. Then went further to find probably the same person had thrown a flare near an electrical substation. Then came across a corpse with some loot. The loud flies work perfectly to let you know a corpse is near.

I'm starting to find better variety of ammo. So maybe the military weapons will be usable. I think the game needs ammo bags, among many other things.

Perpetual debt is slavery.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 22:54 Wildone

Yea uh good luck trying to get it to work, with all the different versions of Arma2, OpArrowhead and what not its impossible to find a server with just the right updates, its a total mess. I got the dayZ auto updater and that made it worse.  

14. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 21:23 MajorD

J wrote on May 27, 2012, 19:31:
Just had a nice long session... towns with plenty of recurring zombies and houses that I can't get into; times where my Makarov doesn't seem to be working properly, like when it would only have one bullet chambered each time I reloaded; swimming in the water caused me to lose my backpack and its contents; surviving a number of zombies in a town only to have a bandit pop me.

I did enjoy my chase though. It began when my stealth mission through a town at night was rumbled by a zombie. It evolved into a full on chase through the town, woodlands, another town, around the coast, and finally into the water, where I managed to swim away from and finally lose the zombies. I even tried running past an idler but they didn't take the bait. Crawling around at night whilst low on health-related resources and equipment and completely out of ammo is quite the experience. After a long time searching I finally heard the sound of buzzing flies, the precursor to a corpse that helped me to resupply and patch myself up. No more shaky vision for me

Nice dude! Sounds like a nice and intense adventure. Night time play can be brutal!

13. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 19:31 J

Just had a nice long session... towns with plenty of recurring zombies and houses that I can't get into; times where my Makarov doesn't seem to be working properly, like when it would only have one bullet chambered each time I reloaded; swimming in the water caused me to lose my backpack and its contents; surviving a number of zombies in a town only to have a bandit pop me.

I did enjoy my chase though. It began when my stealth mission through a town at night was rumbled by a zombie. It evolved into a full on chase through the town, woodlands, another town, around the coast, and finally into the water, where I managed to swim away from and finally lose the zombies. I even tried running past an idler but they didn't take the bait. Crawling around at night whilst low on health-related resources and equipment and completely out of ammo is quite the experience. After a long time searching I finally heard the sound of buzzing flies, the precursor to a corpse that helped me to resupply and patch myself up. No more shaky vision for me

12. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 16:23 MajorD

If you want to see the change log, you'll have to right-click, and download it, then open it. That worked for me.

11. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 15:50 Bumpy

Yeah, game is great IF you can connect. Takes a long time to finally enter the game with no clues if its connecting or just hung.  

10. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 15:44 Mad Max RW

The mod is pretty great but currently ruined by a horrible engine and netcode that hardly supports what they're trying to accomplish. I'm betting a standalone version will show up in a year or two following the example of Killing Floor.

If you own Arma 2 Combined Ops I recommend checking the mod out for a couple weeks as a demo then bookmark it for when the inevitable full game is released. I personally don't have the patience to test unfinished frequently morphing games a year at a time, but can see a great idea at work here.

9. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 15:28 Bhruic

There aren't many in the countryside - if you got hit with a lot, you were near structures of some sort.

If at all possible, try and spawn on a daylight server (most US servers are daylight at this time of day). Starting off the game at night time is an exercise in frustration.

And yeah, servers are getting hammered, which makes connecting take a long time.

8. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 15:21 J

Trying to connect is like a mini-game in itself! This one is stuck on "Waiting on server response" although I can see the chat scroll past. Other people seem to be in.

I managed to get two games on one server before that froze. The first one I got shot by a player for following a flare. Sucker! The second one I got further but it was dark and pouring with rain and I ran out of ammo and got zombied. I didn't think they would be out in the countryside, let alone there being so many. I think I popped off 5 or 6 of them before I snuffed it.

Back to trying to connect...

7. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 14:58 Shok

I just played for a couple hours so far this afternoon and only had to leave because the server was rebooting

If you need the patch and have slow download speeds save yourself time and download the 1.6.0.1 torrent.

I can usually connect with the ARMA2 beta client (using 93160) and launch that outside of STEAM with a shortcut. Some servers do seem to have issues though so I run the unpatched client via the STEAM game browser. Direct comm. voice chat doesn't crash the server using 93140+ clients though so I try using the beta clients when it lets me.

6. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 14:25 Bhruic

J wrote on May 27, 2012, 14:20:
It's weird, on the server selection screen it's saying both my client and the server are 1.6. I figure that's what the yellow ! is implying though, that it's not? The only green light I have seems to be a small server that's running something different from the others.

I'm just making sure everything is updated. I guess after that I'll have to wait?

Ok, you can't rely on the "version" lists on the servers list, as those versions refer to the base ArmaII version, rather than the mod version (it just so happens they are the same at the moment, but that's just coincidence). There are a few servers that are running a beta ArmaII patch, which you won't be able to connect to, but the majority of them aren't. You need to watch the actual server name, as that's the only place you'll see what version of the mod it is running.

Right now with both the new patch, and the holiday weekend in the US, the servers are getting hammered, so waiting might not be a bad idea. It took me about 15 mins to get into a game, and the server crashed a short while afterwards. When it's this busy probably isn't the best time to try and get on.

5. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 14:20 J

Bhruic wrote on May 27, 2012, 14:17:
I get an error saying the server isn't running the right version, or something along those lines, even though everybody else seems to be connected just fine.

There's often some confusion when a new patch comes out. Unlike with other games, servers don't get automatically updated when the patch is released. So quite a few servers are still running 1.5.8.4, some are running 1.6.0.0, and some are running 1.6.0.1. So make sure you are running 1.6.0.1 (the latest), and are only trying to connect to servers that are running the same version. Most servers list their version number as part of their server name.

It's weird, on the server selection screen it's saying both my client and the server are 1.6. I figure that's what the yellow ! is implying though, that it's not? The only green light I have seems to be a small server that's running something different from the others.

I'm just making sure everything is updated. I guess after that I'll have to wait?

4. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 14:17 Bhruic

I get an error saying the server isn't running the right version, or something along those lines, even though everybody else seems to be connected just fine.

There's often some confusion when a new patch comes out. Unlike with other games, servers don't get automatically updated when the patch is released. So quite a few servers are still running 1.5.8.4, some are running 1.6.0.0, and some are running 1.6.0.1. So make sure you are running 1.6.0.1 (the latest), and are only trying to connect to servers that are running the same version. Most servers list their version number as part of their server name.

3. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 14:11 ColoradoHoudini

I've seen a number of people here posting about how awesome this mod is.  

2. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 14:10 J

That must be why the site went down. I've just downloaded the 12 gigs and I'm now downloading whatever patches I can find as I can't make it work for the unlife of me.

As their site is down I cannot get to their forum, so any advice would be appreciated. I have run both, and it's happily saying @dayz in the top right corner when it's loaded up.

1. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 27, 2012, 14:01 Bhruic

Don't need to link to the patch notes from the forum, there's a changelog always included with the download files:

http://mirror.tritnaha.com/DayZ_Changelog.txt

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo