Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Consolidation

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 22:42 killer_roach

entr0py wrote on May 28, 2012, 17:00:
No that's incredibly far off, check out Wikipedia. It breaks down like this.

Total assets

Microsoft $108.7 Billion

Sony $167.3 Billion

Nintendo $20.1 Billion

Assets != cash on hand.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 17:00 entr0py

mag wrote on May 28, 2012, 12:11:
entr0py wrote on May 27, 2012, 23:13:
Nintendo is in a tough spot since they do not have the sort of massive corporate empire that would allow them to sell consoles at a loss like Sony and Microsoft. It seems like a smart play for them to take advantage of the one year window where they can sell an affordable console that's more powerful than the aging competition. But I don't know if that one year is going to be enough.

Nintendo is sitting on about $13 billion, which is much less than Microsoft but much more than Sony.

No that's incredibly far off, check out Wikipedia. It breaks down like this.

Total assets

Microsoft $108.7 Billion

Sony $167.3 Billion

Nintendo $20.1 Billion

22. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 16:52 Flatline

Nintendo is in a tough spot since they do not have the sort of massive corporate empire that would allow them to sell consoles at a loss like Sony and Microsoft. It seems like a smart play for them to take advantage of the one year window where they can sell an affordable console that's more powerful than the aging competition. But I don't know if that one year is going to be enough.

In 2010 Sony lost 500 million dollars, in 2011 it was 3.2 billion.

They're in a bad enough position that they're getting out of the TV manufacturing business, which is crazy-sauce.

Sony isn't in that hot of a position right now overall.

21. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 16:47 Flatline

Rea1One wrote on May 27, 2012, 20:21:
killer_roach wrote on May 27, 2012, 19:31:
Clearly you're using some definition of "pretty obvious" that most people are not familiar with.

You might be surprised but there are a lot of people that are unaware that the Wii U is a native 1080p console.

Holy sh*t that's 12% better screen resolution than my iPhone!!!

DUDE THIS IS GONNA ROCK!

edit: But it's only half the resolution of my PC monitor...

20. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 14:43 killer_roach

Rea1One wrote on May 28, 2012, 11:22:
killer_roach wrote on May 27, 2012, 21:27:
You say "native 1080p console" like that's supposed to mean something.
You obviously don't care about True HD gaming. So each to their own.

Okay, I've tried to be nice, but now to bash the blindingly obvious into your skull:

The only hardware that has a "native" resolution is your display. So the Wii U has a native resolution for its controller's integrated display, but the rest is purely the decisions of the software developers as to how they balance things like resolution, texture size, shader complexity, and geometry levels against the specs of the hardware (CPU/GPU).

And that gets us back to the most salient point - the Wii U's hardware specs, as far as anyone knows, aren't finalized yet. If anything, you'll see most of the early games being developed with rather conservative use of processing resources as a result.

Additionally, just because the hardware is newer doesn't make it more powerful by default - look at the Wii, after all...

19. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 14:05 xXBatmanXx

mag wrote on May 27, 2012, 14:42:
Atlus keeps fun alive by extending Demon's Souls' servers

Hell yeah!

My thoughts exactly! I came in here seeing so many posts, hoping a nice thread about a sweet game and and awesome announcement, but Wii is the topic of conversation? So disapoint.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 12:11 mag

Nintendo is sitting on about $13 billion, which is much less than Microsoft but much more than Sony.

17. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 11:41 Fantaz

Prez wrote on May 28, 2012, 00:49:
Gaming sites really need to be more accurate with their headlines. Gearbox didn't say that the WiiU version of CM would be the best-looking version. They said it would be the best-looking console version. That's a pretty important distinction. Stating that it's the best-looking version suggests that the WiiU is more powerful than a top-end gaming PC. Kotaku used the same misleading headline as Eurogamer.

Call me a conspiracy nut, but I've been noticing this "error" quite a bit. Is it just me, or are gaming websites trolling PC gamers? If I really go full-on tin foil hat, I can see a conspiracy aimed at deliberately misquoting gaming industry big wheels to make it sound like they are dissing the PC market, thereby stirring them up into forum frenzies of rage so that Michael Pachter can call PC gamers obnoxious whiners.

I'm still working on how the Illuminati and the Bildeberg Group ties into it.

Gaming magazines and sites definitely ignore PC games, since many times when they reviewed BF3 on consoles they never mentioned that the graphics and other technical features were way better on PC compared with the console versions they were reviewing.

16. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 11:22 Rea1One

killer_roach wrote on May 27, 2012, 21:27:
You obviously don't care about True HD gaming. So each to their own.

Jensen wrote on May 28, 2012, 00:19:
I don't see Nintendo rendering at 1080p when they can render at 720p with more effects. 1080p is over twice as many pixels as 720p.

This is newer hardware easily capable of doing so, comparing to 6 year old technology of the current generation of consoles that are staring to struggle to keep up with 30fps, so they lower the res in a game like CoD to keep the frame rate high.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2012, 11:37.

15. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 10:00 Verno

That Aliens game is definitely a wait for reviews thing.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

14. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 09:19 Shataan

It doesn`t matter anyways. Clearly GearBox are alot more interested in talking about the console versions on the whole. Not 1 PC preview has arrived to date. And when and IF the game actually sees a release, don`t be surprised by the console FEEL of the PC release.

All courtesy of Randy Pitchfords streamlined console/PC control scheme production scheduling. The 3rd pov ONLY control of the Alien on PCs is a dead giveaway. But I am sure PC gamers will be A Ok with that. Ahuh. ;p

13. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 00:49 Prez

Gaming sites really need to be more accurate with their headlines. Gearbox didn't say that the WiiU version of CM would be the best-looking version. They said it would be the best-looking console version. That's a pretty important distinction. Stating that it's the best-looking version suggests that the WiiU is more powerful than a top-end gaming PC. Kotaku used the same misleading headline as Eurogamer.

Call me a conspiracy nut, but I've been noticing this "error" quite a bit. Is it just me, or are gaming websites trolling PC gamers? If I really go full-on tin foil hat, I can see a conspiracy aimed at deliberately misquoting gaming industry big wheels to make it sound like they are dissing the PC market, thereby stirring them up into forum frenzies of rage so that Michael Pachter can call PC gamers obnoxious whiners.

I'm still working on how the Illuminati and the Bildeberg Group ties into it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 00:19 Jensen

Rea1One wrote on May 27, 2012, 18:52:
its pretty obvious Wii U is a 1080p console while Xbox 360 and PS3 has 99% 720p games.
The recent CoD games are only 1024*600 on the 360. I think Wii games may be a bit less than 480p.

I don't see Nintendo rendering at 1080p when they can render at 720p with more effects. 1080p is over twice as many pixels as 720p.

11. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 00:19 Kitkoan

Fantaz wrote on May 27, 2012, 23:23:

I think M. Pachter says that they have enough Pokemon money to only last them for another 5 years. We don't think Wii U will do that well... if Nintendo knew this, they should've already started pre-E3 hype instead of probably working towards doing some press conference surprises (which I even don't think there will be anything major to begin with). There's no 3rd party developers that I've heard of making any really good Wii U games right now, and that's a problem even during this window with a 1 year lead before PS4/720

After the Wii, I think Nintendo might have a problem with attracting 3rd party developers. If I remember right, a whole bunch of developers in the beginning jumped all over the Wii and made it look like it was going to be the winner of this generation of consoles. After a little while it was noticed that the only games that really sold on the Wii were the ones made by Nintendo themselves.

If my memory is correct and thats what happened, then 3rd parties will be more cautious this time around.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

10. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2012, 23:23 Fantaz

I think M. Pachter says that they have enough Pokemon money to only last them for another 5 years. We don't think Wii U will do that well... if Nintendo knew this, they should've already started pre-E3 hype instead of probably working towards doing some press conference surprises (which I even don't think there will be anything major to begin with). There's no 3rd party developers that I've heard of making any really good Wii U games right now, and that's a problem even during this window with a 1 year lead before PS4/720

9. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2012, 23:21 Jerykk

Anyway, I think the WiiU will suffer the same fate as the GameCube. While it may technically be more powerful than its console competitors, the lack of high-profile "hardcore" exclusives coupled with the awkward controller means that people who already own a X360/PS3/PC will be unlikely to buy a WiiU.

8. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2012, 23:13 entr0py

7. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2012, 21:27 killer_roach

Rea1One wrote on May 27, 2012, 20:21:
Clearly you're using some definition of "pretty obvious" that most people are not familiar with.

You might be surprised but there are a lot of people that are unaware that the Wii U is a native 1080p console.

6. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2012, 20:21 Rea1One

5. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2012, 19:31 killer_roach

Rea1One wrote on May 27, 2012, 18:52:
its pretty obvious Wii U is a 1080p console while Xbox 360 and PS3 has 99% 720p games.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo