Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Legal Briefs

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Microsoft Plagued by Software Piracy May 28, 2012, 15:18 jdreyer

Fantaz wrote on May 27, 2012, 23:16:
Absolutely, that's the first thing I was thinking about when I started reading this article. Microsoft could make more money just by putting it's software on sale and giving consumers deals. It's just greedy to keep the price so high and if it's priced too high people will simply revert to piracy, it's a known fact. You get a new PC and you either have enough money to afford Windows or you don't...

Totally agree. Microsoft has a monopoly with its OS, and that ridiculous price point is the result.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Microsoft Plagued by Software Piracy May 28, 2012, 11:05 Zarkonis

I'd give out my trade secrets, but there's one prude here that'd get me rung up with the FBI for it.  
Slow and steady might not win the race at first, until you shoot everyone ahead of you.

5. Re: Microsoft Plagued by Software Piracy May 28, 2012, 06:16 Fantaz

Custom build obviously... I never buy pre-built computers.  

4. Re: Microsoft Plagued by Software Piracy May 28, 2012, 00:23 Kitkoan

Fantaz wrote on May 27, 2012, 23:16:
You get a new PC and you either have enough money to afford Windows or you don't...

Unless your buying a Mac or a custom build, you get a new PC and you get a copy of Windows already on it last I checked.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

3. Microsoft Plagued by Software Piracy May 27, 2012, 23:16 Fantaz

"But, just playing devil’s advocate, it’s possible that Microsoft could curb or minimize piracy by pricing the software at a more reasonable point that is more accessible to users with limited budgets. There has to be some point that strikes a balance between the amount of money Microsoft loses due to piracy and the amount of revenue Microsoft could gain by boosting sales with lower prices."

Absolutely, that's the first thing I was thinking about when I started reading this article. Microsoft could make more money just by putting it's software on sale and giving consumers deals. It's just greedy to keep the price so high and if it's priced too high people will simply revert to piracy, it's a known fact. You get a new PC and you either have enough money to afford Windows or you don't...

2. Bittorrent Traffic Booms May 27, 2012, 15:56 jdreyer

I have relatives who live in Spain and here's the deal:
- It's not illegal to share any file for personal, non-commercial use. So, they BT stuff all the time.
- There are simply no alternatives, although I hear that Netflix will attempt to expand into Spain after it gives Japan a shot.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs May 27, 2012, 14:21 Mashiki Amiketo

BT torrent traffic booms? Okay yeah not really surprised there. Not forgetting that in Asia it's cheaper to run your own private BT networks too. Also wonder if sandvine can tell the difference between serviced BT(game patches/etc) an filesharing BT.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo