Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat

The Bethesda Blog has word that mounted combat will come to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim in a version 1.6 patch coming to the RPG sequel soon. This is available right now as a beta on Steam for those looking to get a jump. They offer these notes for the upcoming patch:

1.6 Update (all platforms unless specified)

NEW FEATURES

• Mounted Combat - Skyrim now allows you to do melee and ranged combat while riding a horse

BUG FIXES

• General stability and memory optimizations
  • General AI pathfinding optimizations and bug fixes
  • Optimizations and crash fixes for data leaks
  • Fixed rare crash with lighting
  • Fixed crashes related to loading and saving games
  • Fixed crash with summoned creatures/NPCs
  • Fixed rare issue where saves would be corrupted
  • Improved logic for when ranged kill cams are played
  • Fixed issue with ranged kill cams while killing a dragon
  • Fixed rare issue with certain ranged kill cams not playing properly
  • Fixed issue with nirnroot lighting not properly cleaning up
  • Fixed issue where bow damage was being calculated incorrectly
  • Fixed rare problem with werewolf kill moves would not finish animating properly
  • In “The Break of Dawn” fixed rare issue where Meridia’s Beacon would disappear from player’s inventory
  • Fixed occasional issue where followers would disappear after player pays off a bounty after committing a crime
  • Fixed issue where certain creatures and NPCs would fail to respawn properly
  • Fixed rare issue with dialogue subtitles not displaying properly
  • Fixed issue with water appearing blurry when loading a saved game after creating a save underwater
  • Fixed issue where map cursor would occasionally disappear after closing a message box with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
  • Fixed rare issue with shouts only performing the first level and not other unlocked levels with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
  • Fixed issue where the shout buttons would stop working properly if users mashed LB and RB during cooldown with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)

DOWNLOADING THE BETA UPDATE ON STEAM

If you’d like to download the 1.6 Beta Update on Steam, you’ll need to follow these steps:

1. Log into Steam
  2. Click on Steam in the upper menu
  3. Select Settings
  4. Under the Account tab, go to the Beta Participation section and select Change.
  5. A drop down menu will appear. Select Skyrim Beta.
  6. Select OK.
  7. Steam will now restart. After Steam restarts, Skyrim will be updated to the Beta version currently available.

If you opt into the Beta, be sure to back up your saved games or simply be careful not to overwrite your existing saves. If you decide to opt out of the beta program, your old saves will still work with the current release of Skyrim on Steam (v 1.5).

If you decide you don’t want to run the Beta anymore, redo steps 1 – 4. At the drop down, select NONE – Opt out of all beta programs. Let Steam restart, and Skyrim will automatically update itself back to the latest released version.

To provide feedback on the beta update, use our beta forum.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 26, 2012, 19:52 theyarecomingforyou

I really liked horses in Skyrim as they considerably improved them from Oblivion. However, having to dismount for combat was inconvenient and even then the horses kept dying - they were way more hassle than they were worth. It's great that they're adding combat but unless it includes spells and they address the low hit points for horses it's irrelevant for my main character; it may work out for my secondary character.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 26, 2012, 15:09 Fletch

Shit, now I'll have to get some horse armor.

15. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 26, 2012, 11:44 wtf_man

Well... Since Horses seem to get 1-shotted, so I quit buying them... the only way I'd try this is with the invincible horse mod (which I haven't bothered getting yet).  

14. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 26, 2012, 11:40 siapnar

Tanto Edge wrote on May 26, 2012, 01:01:
I'll stick with Mount and Blade until Skyrim supports a thousand troops at once.

The civil wars in Skyrim were sad with their ..six troops? Eight?
Same thing with Oblivion.
I remember one of the main story fights with the Daedra, with talk of an army of troops battling it out on the field.

4 dudes and a chick showed up for the most glorious of battles.

I have projectile dysfunction.

13. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 26, 2012, 08:49 Alamar

If it's not riding dragons, i'm not interested : )

-Alamar

12. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 26, 2012, 05:23 Spektr

To Tanto edge: Mod it in  

11. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 26, 2012, 03:53 hello newman

Beth has some sort of magick going on it seems. The more others do things wrong the more they seem to do things right :))

Ahh.. if only they would join the Id guys and Todd & co. for a game...

10. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 26, 2012, 01:54 Jerykk

While their implementation of mounted combat is pretty lackluster, I'm still pleasantly surprised by the amount of support Bethesda has shown for Skyrim. For previous games, they've typically only released 2 or 3 patches for bug fixes, then small patches to add support for upcoming DLC. With Skyrim, they continue to fix bugs, improve optimizations and add new features/content. Color me impressed.  

9. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 26, 2012, 01:01 Tanto Edge

I'll stick with Mount and Blade until Skyrim supports a thousand troops at once.

The civil wars in Skyrim were sad with their ..six troops? Eight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

8. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 26, 2012, 00:50 Slashman

I rather prefer 3rd person so this is a welcome addition.  

7. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 26, 2012, 00:10 shinchan0s

Give us a first person body for the perfect game. Make it happen, Bethesda!  

6. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 25, 2012, 21:38 xXBatmanXx

Prez wrote on May 25, 2012, 21:08:
Finally. After playing Mount and Blade I won't be able to accept not being able to fight from horseback ever again.

Yea was weird after spending so much time in Two Worlds with my mounts.

/runs

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

5. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 25, 2012, 21:08 Prez

Finally. After playing Mount and Blade I won't be able to accept not being able to fight from horseback ever again.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 25, 2012, 21:01 xXBatmanXx

Cool. I think that was one of their mods they worked on after release internally wasn't it? Hopefully we get horse armour, as the horses were pretty wimpy!!!! ehehhee  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

3. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 25, 2012, 20:39 jimnms

Can we get a first person horse perspective, otherwise combat on horseback is pointless. I don't use horses because I can't fucking stand the 3rd person view. I tried a mod for it, but it has some issues. Also give us the option to turn off the kill cams.  

Steam Profile

2. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 25, 2012, 20:35 Crustacean Soup

I suppose it affects caster types more. My character does the Heavy Armor thing and relies on potions rather than spells. The only thing I don't like is that it's still 3rd person.  

1. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 25, 2012, 20:30 Kastagir

It doesn't seem that "mounted combat" includes casting spells, either offensive spells or those of the healing variety. So, you can fight while on a horse, but if your health is low you will need to dismount. Seems pretty dumb to me.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo