Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend

The Hi-Rez Forums have word that to celebrate passing the half-million fan threshold on Facebook, a double XP weekend is now underway in Tribes Ascend, their multiplayer shooter remake. Here's word:

Overview

• You can play on any existing public or custom server between Friday, May 25th at 10:00am EST through Tuesday, May 29th at 10am EST and you will receive twice the base experience per match.

Additional Details

• The double XP event will apply to servers worldwide.
  • All players are eligible for the Double XP event whether or not they are fans of the Tribes: Ascend Facebook page.
  • The promotion applies only to base XP. It does not apply to other XP sources such as Accolades or First Win of The Day.
  • The promotion applies to public servers and custom servers that exist as of Friday, May 25th at 10:00am EST. The promotion does not apply to any Custom Server created or made active after the start of the event.
  • Players with VIP status and/or an active XP boosts will receive those bonuses in addition to the double XP.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 26, 2012, 10:04 space captain

NKD wrote on May 26, 2012, 00:45:
Some games require you to have good twitch reflex, but Tribes is great because it requires you to be a psychic.

one of the main reasons i play

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 26, 2012, 08:16 MadBoris

mag wrote on May 25, 2012, 20:24:
MadBoris wrote on May 25, 2012, 16:48:
Crustacean Soup wrote on May 25, 2012, 15:51:
I'm quite happy with the $7 I paid during the Beta to grab the VIP status. No problem at all unlocking everything I care to unlock.

Well if you continue to play, I hope you won't be a freeloader down the road and support them for the years of work.
If we want Tribes or F2P to work at all, we can treat them like pirates.

But as you said if you don't have money it can still be fun game.

What if I don't want F2P to work at all?

The days of quality first, produce a AAA title, then receive the money, are going away. Pre-order the unseen! Pay for promises because devs/pubs are always right, the game "will" get better (I just know it will). Stupid gamers gave away the power of the consumer years ago, now we all suffer for their ignorance.

17. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 26, 2012, 04:25 Veterator

NKD wrote on May 26, 2012, 00:45:
Some games require you to have good twitch reflex, but Tribes is great because it requires you to be a psychic.

I feel like that's true sometimes. You just randomly shoot and peg someone in midair for a kill like you meant to.

16. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 26, 2012, 00:45 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

15. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 23:19 Flatline

theglaze wrote on May 25, 2012, 16:11:
MadBoris wrote on May 25, 2012, 13:59:
The thing I think some people have an issue with is dying

Hunted. That's the word.

I don't mind getting fragged, but being hunted by multiple enemies in a no-win-scenario creates a hopeless feeling that almost ruins the experience. You need to stay with the game to get beyond that point and understand how to avoid those situations. Most people give up because the skill gap can be gargantuan in public servers.

Hunted? Oh man if I get 3 or 4 defensive players to hunt me I know I'll die but I cackle gleefully and concentrate on dragging out the hunt as long as possible.

All it takes is about 8 seconds to destroy a defender's setup or nab a flag. If I can yank several defenders off their duty to go on a cross country skiing trip that means that there's a hole, probably a pretty big hole, in their defenses now that someone on my team is hopefully raping for all they can.

Bonus points if you piss generator rats off so bad they leave the base to kill you. Man that's an awesome feeling... They come after you and you hear "the enemy generator is down!" ten seconds later... MMMMmmmmm... Obfuscate!

14. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 20:24 mag

MadBoris wrote on May 25, 2012, 16:48:
I'm quite happy with the $7 I paid during the Beta to grab the VIP status. No problem at all unlocking everything I care to unlock.

Well if you continue to play, I hope you won't be a freeloader down the road and support them for the years of work.

What if I don't want F2P to work at all?

13. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 18:47 Crustacean Soup

MadBoris wrote on May 25, 2012, 16:53:
Crustacean Soup wrote on May 25, 2012, 16:18:
The thing I see new players potentially getting frustrated with more than anything is just movement. Skiing, jetting, and just moving constantly are all completely necessary, and completely alien to anyone who's only played "Modern Combat" FPSs. Newbies just don't do it. They stop to shoot, they walk along the ground, they have no idea how to build momentum.

Tribes has always had a learning curve. It takes weeks to really start seeing how deep the rabbit hole goes in this game. That is the fun.

I keep wishing for tiered MM, but people think it separates the player base, yet that is the point!

Atleast they have the videos and training grounds, if they use them.

I enjoy that, but a lot of people get frustrated with any learning curve at all. An F2P game with a real learning curve is an exceptional beast. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but something they need to help easily-frustrated players overcome somehow. I'll have to see how good a job the new videos do.

12. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 16:53 MadBoris

Crustacean Soup wrote on May 25, 2012, 16:18:
The thing I see new players potentially getting frustrated with more than anything is just movement. Skiing, jetting, and just moving constantly are all completely necessary, and completely alien to anyone who's only played "Modern Combat" FPSs. Newbies just don't do it. They stop to shoot, they walk along the ground, they have no idea how to build momentum.

Tribes has always had a learning curve. It takes weeks to really start seeing how deep the rabbit hole goes in this game. That is the fun.

I keep wishing for tiered MM, but people think it separates the player base, yet that is the point!

Atleast they have the videos and training grounds, if they use them.

11. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 16:50 Wowbagger_TIP

Find a good player and watch them in spec mode. It can help.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

10. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 16:48 MadBoris

9. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 16:18 Crustacean Soup

8. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 16:11 theglaze

MadBoris wrote on May 25, 2012, 13:59:
The thing I think some people have an issue with is dying

Hunted. That's the word.

I don't mind getting fragged, but being hunted by multiple enemies in a no-win-scenario creates a hopeless feeling that almost ruins the experience. You need to stay with the game to get beyond that point and understand how to avoid those situations. Most people give up because the skill gap can be gargantuan in public servers.

7. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 15:51 Crustacean Soup

The game still needs balancing love. Plasma and whiteout grenades in arena are a gigantic PITA, and I still hate the bullet guns. Trying to clear a flag stand of defenders while three techs beam their weirdly-accurate SMGs at you from long range isn't awesome.

6. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 15:40 Wowbagger_TIP

Of course they do this the weekend I'm out of town. Brood

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

5. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 15:02 Matshock

Coolone wrote on May 25, 2012, 14:43:
I always feel like I've won the lottery when I blue plate someone.

I smile when I do- but I got Deadeye Badge last time I played so it's not that unusual.

Often times you can get BPS just by firing on hopping targets from an elevated position. On sunstar, I like climb the towers with a brute and lay out a barrage of spinfusors.

4. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 14:43 Coolone

Overon wrote on May 25, 2012, 14:39:
The thing I think some people have an issue with is dying, get used to it, you will do it a lot and it doesn't really matter. In fact you'll do it to yourself once you start getting good in the game.
Definately. You are too close to your enemy and then midair spinfuzor disk them (blue plate special), you hear that lovely ping sound, but if you are too close to the explosion you can suicide. But that ping sound more than makes up for it.

I always feel like I've won the lottery when I blue plate someone.

3. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 14:39 Overon

The thing I think some people have an issue with is dying, get used to it, you will do it a lot and it doesn't really matter. In fact you'll do it to yourself once you start getting good in the game.
Definately. You are too close to your enemy and then midair spinfuzor disk them (blue plate special), you hear that lovely ping sound, but if you are too close to the explosion you can suicide. But that ping sound more than makes up for it.

2. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 13:59 MadBoris

Techie714 wrote on May 25, 2012, 12:46:
I'm going to give this game a try Its gotten pretty solid reviews & Evan from PCG is a big fan.

There is quite the learning curve, just have fun finding a class like a tech or a heavy for base defense at first. The weapons are different, feel different, than other games on purpose, FYI.

But now with the latest patch, they have the training videos, check those out. Also the built in local AI training grounds too, you can play with all classes and vehicles.

1. Re: Tribes Ascend Double XP Weekend May 25, 2012, 12:46 Techie714

I'm going to give this game a try Its gotten pretty solid reviews & Evan from PCG is a big fan.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo