Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Arma 3 Lighting Trailer

This trailer offers a quick look at some of the advanced lighting techniques in Arma 3, Bohemia Interactive's upcoming military shooter sequel. This offers a particular focus on details of the game's day/night cycle. There's also a Report In! profile on their webisite introducing Pavel Guglava, the Lead Artist on the game (thanks Slippery_Jim).

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 27, 2012, 15:42 Spektr

I didn't understand everything the voiceover said but I can't really say I have been wowed by coloured lighting since quake 2. I couldn't help but notice the car's headlight didn't light the car too but indirect lighting is too much to ask at this point. I have done my share of underwater shootings in my time but games have been so serious that lately that I couldn't resist having a laugh seeing a frogman shooting his AK-47. To be positive, the underwater scenery looks good, much better than in Skyrim for instance.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 27, 2012, 04:51 Jerykk

Good. Stay away. People like you have destroyed enough other games already.

Defensive much? Nobody can really argue that BI's games have always been lacking in polish. Better animations, VO, controls, etc, would only improve the game. It's not like you'd have to sacrifice depth or complexity in return.

16. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 26, 2012, 12:37 Donkey_Punch

LMAO. Magical bullets under water.

No thanks. You can keep all your bugs BIS.

15. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 26, 2012, 07:16 Muscular Beaver

The Half Elf wrote on May 25, 2012, 18:32:
Arma going back to Flashpoint has never really looked bad, it just has REALLY CRAPPY ANIMATIONS, VOICE WORK, CONTROL SCHEME, etc.

You can show me 1000 screenshots but it don't mean dick until they improve the other major issues of the game.

Good. Stay away. People like you have destroyed enough other games already.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

14. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 25, 2012, 22:09 eRe4s3r

I guess they did not go for realistic lightning? Rotating sirens not casting lights, Lights not casting shadows, muzzle flash not casting light.... its the little details that break immersion

I hope this is just the earliest alpha.. because they are still missing 75%

13. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 25, 2012, 20:57 Cutter

jimnms wrote on May 25, 2012, 16:52:
Underwater shooting? Are they giving up on realism with ArmA 3? I want to know if they're going to do anything with the AI this time. The AI really hasn't changed much since OFP.

Yeah, that made me go, 'Huh'? If you're going to play Scuba Steve you need a speargun. I'd like to see some underwater sleds and stuff too. I'll definitely be grabbing this game.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12. really? May 25, 2012, 20:47 Shataan

" it had a much better animation,"

Always thought the soldiers in DR ran like they had to take a crap actually. And the run speed was abysmally too slow. I am not a BF 3 fan these days, but I like BF 3s movements animations ALOT more than DRs OR ARMA 2s. Looks way more natural imho.

11. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 25, 2012, 20:28 eunichron

The Half Elf wrote on May 25, 2012, 18:32:
Arma going back to Flashpoint has never really looked bad, it just has REALLY CRAPPY ANIMATIONS, VOICE WORK, CONTROL SCHEME, etc.

You can show me 1000 screenshots but it don't mean dick until they improve the other major issues of the game.

This has always been the thing preventing me from getting into the series (OpFlash included). I know they're billing it as a simulator, but "simulator" doesn't have to be synonymous with terrible engine, shitty performance, clunky controls, and hokey animations. I almost think they would have been better off licensing Frostbite 2 and making the necessary modifications to make it more realistic, and using the extra time not having to build an engine from scratch to make a more robust game.

10. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 25, 2012, 20:11 Whiskers

"You can show me 1000 screenshots but it don't mean dick until they improve the other major issues of the game."

Exactly. Arma 2, to me, looks fine. I would rather they focus more on optimization and a new control scheme. Even though Dragon Rising (not made by BI) was a swing and a miss, it had a much better animation, control and interaction scheme. The Arma control system provides some flexibility which modders take advantage of, but the fact that almost all of their interaction methods are nearly the same from OFP (released in 2001) is kinda sad. They pretty much get all their "new features" from mods released for their previous games anyway, so they must have time to think up a better control and interaction system.

9. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 25, 2012, 18:32 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

8. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 25, 2012, 17:28 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on May 25, 2012, 12:45:
Can't wait for E3 to see more gameplay videos.

Yeah, me neither. I liked this one from a month ago though.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 25, 2012, 17:19 jdreyer

jimnms wrote on May 25, 2012, 16:52:
Underwater shooting? Are they giving up on realism with ArmA 3?

Dual use assault rifles (effective both above and under water), like the Russian ADS exist already. As Arma 3 takes place about 20 years from now, it's not hard to imagine weapons that such weapons are marginally more effective than today.

As for AI, I really hope they work on improving it. Looking at some of the A3 trailers, I was impressed by how AI soldiers ran for cover when a mine blew up near them. I hope it's a good improvement over A2.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 25, 2012, 16:52 jimnms

Underwater shooting? Are they giving up on realism with ArmA 3? I want to know if they're going to do anything with the AI this time. The AI really hasn't changed much since OFP.  

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 25, 2012, 13:43 SirKnight

Q4 2012  

4. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 25, 2012, 12:47 Techie714

SpectralMeat wrote on May 25, 2012, 12:45:
Can't wait for E3 to see more gameplay videos. Is this game coming out this year or in 2013?

I think I read early 2013?

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

3. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 25, 2012, 12:45 SpectralMeat

Can't wait for E3 to see more gameplay videos. Is this game coming out this year or in 2013?  

Steam: SpectralMeat

1. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 25, 2012, 11:26 MajorD

That is some pretty impressive lighting effects!

Speaking of lighting effects.....Playing the ARMA II DayZ Mod with a few friends, at night, with flashlights and flares is freaking intense. I recommend it if you want to kick it up a notch or two. Wink

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo