Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Hotfixes

The Diablo III Website has a list of hotfixes implemented over the past couple of days in Blizzard's MMORPG sequel. There is just one fix listed from yesterday, but there is a longer list of changes from the day before, but these carry a warning saying: "If you have not yet completed Diablo III on Normal, some hotfixes described in this list may include spoilers."

View
91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

51. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 16:39 Creston

eunichron wrote on May 24, 2012, 16:19:
Creston wrote on May 24, 2012, 16:13:
nin wrote on May 24, 2012, 14:18:
edit: Oh, and have fun with your steam patches for torchlight 2!

So Steam is bad now? Did I blink?

Creston

There are things that are bad about Steam, but he was taking a jab at people complaining about hotfixes being mandatory patches, whereas in Diablo 2 if you didn't like a certain patch you could just revert and continue to play the previous version in single player. Steam effectively does the same thing as Blizzard's hotfixes by forced patching.

Oh, okay. I got a little confused there.

I'll admit the forced patching has been getting more annoying lately, with devs having been pushing out patches that just blatantly break shit. Skyrim is obviously a very egregious example

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 16:34 Verno

There are things that are bad about Steam, but he was taking a jab at people complaining about hotfixes being mandatory patches, whereas in Diablo 2 if you didn't like a certain patch you could just revert and continue to play the previous version in single player. Steam effectively does the same thing as Blizzard's hotfixes by forced patching.

He's still incorrectly comparing them, Torchlight II is available from several DD vendors and the non-Steam versions have their own patching system.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

49. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 16:30 nin

attack of the multiposts!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

48. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 16:28 nin

Creston

It's more of pointing out that dequers precious (precious!) Torchlight 2 has some of the same complaints he rails blizzard over (ie patching). Yet he never says a bad word about TL2.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

47. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 16:19 eunichron

Creston

46. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 16:16 Darks

Creston

No, I think what heís saying is that canít complain about one without complaining about the other. Both do pretty much the same things, so itís like you calling the kettle black when you do.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

45. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 16:13 Creston

Creston

44. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 16:08 Verno

blizz always goes overboard on making the Hard mods way more difficulty then they need to be

Well, it's not so much a case of it being too hard for people. Don't me wrong, it's tough but more from a unforgiving or unlucky aspect as opposed to genuine difficulty. Many or most class builds simply aren't viable on that difficulty. So players have been finding ones that work through unintended mechanics or ability combinations Blizzard didn't like or foresee. I get their reasons but the way they're going about it is really silly.

I've been waiting on fixes in ME3's mp for almost 3 months, and still no fucking peep out of EAware.

Yeah I think its a shame, Bioware almost really had something with the MP but they just put it out there and left it aside from the odd map addition.

43. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 16:00 Beelzebud

Okay, I'm not reading comments for any more Diablo 3 related stuff.

The PC gaming community has gone full retard.

42. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 15:56 Darks

Verno wrote on May 24, 2012, 14:49:
DrEvil wrote on May 24, 2012, 14:03:
The difference is that here, the changes are even being made "server-side", and you have no choice as to whether you take the patches.

At least with the older games, if they made changes you didn't like, you could at least finish your single-player game before updating.

Now users that take longer to finish are going to finish a never-ending stream of tweaks to difficulty and gameplay before they even finish their first run through of the game.

Sucktastic.

Indeed.

I think they have a bit of egg on the face about how Inferno is basically being beta tested by the public. They made a lot of claims about how it was never beaten internally because it was so hard and etc etc but I think it was simply due to them never actually bothering. Some ability balance is expected but they can't really get upset about people finding the optimal builds because most variations simply do not work on Inferno.

This sounds just like WOW, people had same issues with doing Hard mode for Cata and the last patch that added the new instance that I canít recall the name of now. We had the same issues with trying to do hard modes with our guild that it ended up discouraging people so badly many quit and gave up trying.

blizz always goes overboard on making the Hard modes way more difficult then they need to be. This isnít an MMO yet they treat it as if it is. That just drives me crazy. May people donít want to spend time waiting for others to beat all game modes. Making Inferno impossible to beat just forces people to stop playing all together, I like a challenge but not at the expense of being frustrated to no end.

Especially when the bosses donít even drop good loot after the first run though. That just does not cut it in my book. Thereís no incentive to really strive to beat the games other hard modes when the gear drops suck.

This comment was edited on May 24, 2012, 16:13.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

41. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 15:52 Creston

One thing I will say for Blizzard: At least they fix shit.

I've been waiting on fixes in ME3's mp for almost 3 months, and still no fucking peep out of EAware.

Creston

40. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 15:49 Wolfox

Alamar wrote on May 24, 2012, 15:30:
I was going to make a point about how GW does things, but passed on it... But since you mention it...

GW has content 'patches' very often... sometimes multiple times a day... It definitely works well for the way they have things organized, and I don't think players complain 'too much' about the multiple restarts required at times...

However, this is an early design type of thing... So late in the development stage, it's a pain to fix, and we're very long past that stage... Blizzard could change it; they've made early design style changes in the past, but from a cost-benefit rating, I'd say it's pretty damn low.

My point is exactly that - if ArenaNet is able to do it, then it's technically possible/viable, and if Blizzard doesn't do the same, it's because they chose not to. And while the current design may make it difficult to fix, I don't think cost-benefit is that much of an issue for a company that sold 6.5 million copies of Diablo 3 (priced at $60 at launch almost everywhere) in the first two weeks of release.

In fact, I'd argue that the "always online" requirement makes that kind of fix easier than harder, but that's beyond the point. The thing is that that kind of thing is sloppy fixing (and arguably design), and shows a notable lack of care for the customer. That's troubling to say the least.

39. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 15:30 Alamar

Wolfox wrote on May 24, 2012, 15:22:
Stolk wrote on May 24, 2012, 14:57:
Lots of complaints specifically regarding tool-tips not being changed yet. I continue to be surprised by things I see around the internet.

That's a big deal. First, because it's confusing. Second, because if ArenaNet updates tooltips every time a skill changes, then Blizzard should be able to do the same.

I was going to make a point about how GW does things, but passed on it... But since you mention it...

GW has content 'patches' very often... sometimes multiple times a day... It definitely works well for the way they have things organized, and I don't think players complain 'too much' about the multiple restarts required at times...

However, this is an early design type of thing... So late in the development stage, it's a pain to fix, and we're very long past that stage... Blizzard could change it; they've made early design style changes in the past, but from a cost-benefit rating, I'd say it's pretty damn low.

-Alamar

38. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 15:22 Wolfox

Lots of complaints specifically regarding tool-tips not being changed yet. I continue to be surprised by things I see around the internet.

That's a big deal. First, because it's confusing. Second, because if ArenaNet updates tooltips every time a skill changes, then Blizzard should be able to do the same.

37. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 15:20 Wolfox

Raven wrote on May 24, 2012, 14:45:
Red wrote on May 24, 2012, 14:41:
blue wrote:
Blizzard's MMORPG sequel
Diablo 3 is an ARPG, not an MMO. There is no persisted world. The most players that can play together at once is 4.

I think that Blue is using the other definition: "Money Made Off Really Pissed Gamers".

+ 1 for you, Raven. That was gold.

36. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 15:19 Verno

I would like to see this for downtime as well... Sometimes, they have to bring the servers down NOW... Take the 5s to email someone responsible for updates to get that shit out right away... I think it's better than it was, but ideally, the 'Breaking News' should be there when you're D/C'd without warning...

Indeed, it's pretty hilarious when the servers are down and you're staring at the automated server status page that claims they are up. I shouldn't have to find about hotfixes 4 days after the fact either.

I feel like there should be more responsibility to get things right the first time and less to tinker with a game like this where its played both in a SP & MP capacity. Big patches can be a mess but they can also be interesting and do a lot to revitalize interest in a game. I'd much rather have that approach as opposed to continually pulling the rug out from under players. As I said they really got into a bad habit of this with the later years of WoW, sometimes doing multiple hotfixes a week to the point where even news sites were getting exasperated reporting it.

35. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 15:15 Alamar

Verno wrote on May 24, 2012, 15:04:

Yeah I wasn't very happy about this. I logged in one day and a few of my abilities/runes weren't working properly. There was no post informing people, no documentation on the forums/website and the tooltip was the same. They got into this really annoying trend of hotfixing things in WoW which pissed a lot of people off and I really don't want that becoming a thing in D3. If people find a way to literally cheat or exploit then fine but if they're playing within your mechanics then at least have the decency to promply tell people when you're changing stuff.

In this 'day and age', there's really no excuse not to inform your users when hotfixes are made... Though, half the time, when there is i nfo, people don't know where to find it, so a consolidated spot is handy (The patch page, for example, which has notoriously been slow to update)... Different departments working (not so well) together...

I would like to see this for downtime as well... Sometimes, they have to bring the servers down NOW... Take the 5s to email someone responsible for updates to get that shit out right away... I think it's better than it was, but ideally, the 'Breaking News' should be there when you're D/C'd without warning...

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 24, 2012, 15:04:
You can set gold limits and buffs. Search on cheap stuff first, it shows the expensive stuff if you don't search witih some other attributes....

I spent a good hour in there just looking at stuff, it is interesting to see what some people get for drops, etc.

I was using the filters (Int/Vit) for that, but for some reason, thought the gold limit was only for legendaries, which admittedly, is more me not thinking about it...

Will definitely mess with that when I want to add some Vit to the Barbie...

-Alamar

34. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 15:04 Verno

Yeah I wasn't very happy about this. I logged in one day and a few of my abilities/runes weren't working properly. There was no post informing people, no documentation on the forums/website and the tooltip was the same. They got into this really annoying trend of hotfixing things in WoW which pissed a lot of people off and I really don't want that becoming a thing in D3. If people find a way to literally cheat or exploit then fine but if they're playing within your mechanics then at least have the decency to promply tell people when you're changing stuff.

33. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 15:04 xXBatmanXx

Alamar wrote on May 24, 2012, 14:46:
Just played around with the AH myself... There is SOOOOOO much stuff on there, it's a pain in the ass... Can't sort by time left, or bid... The two sorts I would find most useful... So I spammed through 10-20 pages per item for stuff nearly done (and cheap enough)...

Beyond that, it's addictive... I picked up three pieces for about 30k, one of which is a nice helm with 44 int, 102 vit, +9 xp (blah) and a socket (currently at 13% MF)...

Edit: heh... regarding the Hot Fix notes... Never seen Mehtan before, but just got him twice...

-Alamar

You can set gold limits and buffs. Search on cheap stuff first, it shows the expensive stuff if you don't search witih some other attributes....

I spent a good hour in there just looking at stuff, it is interesting to see what some people get for drops, etc.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

32. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 15:02 Alamar

deqer wrote on May 24, 2012, 14:57:
Alamar wrote on May 24, 2012, 14:46:
a nice helm with 44 int, 102 vit, +9 xp (blah) and a socket (currently at 13% MF)...

blah blah, blablablah ?

Finally, we can agree on the content of all your posts...

-Alamar

91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo