Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Evening Metaverse May 25, 2012, 08:25 eRe4s3r

Ah.. the reason I think its required is because nobody says ANYTHING about whether Windows Update is a service that requires a live id.

If you look for the preview coverage (even so called "in-depth" coverage) it does not in fact cover how Windows updates work now. It could easily be the case that a live ID is required to get all updates now. Because MS already tries to do something like that with the "verification" in Windows update in 7 and Vista.

If you think about it, it'd be a anti-piracy measure and if MS calls it that, who can give them anti-trust trouble over it? Question is, do they require live id for windows update or not?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Evening Metaverse May 24, 2012, 17:34 Kitkoan

eRe4s3r wrote on May 24, 2012, 09:06:
far scarier what this means for security, seeing that flash and anything from Adobe is like the Nr.2 point of attack for nearly every worm trojan and virus

And now that Windows 8 require stupid live ID login a single virus infection will not only get that login and all that it entails, but also compromise everything else that hangs on to that ID including possibly MSDN and email.

Is one of the reasons i will never get Windows 8 - at least not until there is a way to use it without ANY live ID

Last I tried, Live ID wasn't a needed part its only an optional part (its for syncing your setting to the cloud for the OS). If that changed then it might get interesting. I have little interest in Windows 8, Win7 works just fine for me (I use it for gaming, thats it) and I wonder if it would get Microsoft into trouble if they needed a Live ID to use it since you now need to give MS your phone number to make a Live ID (its not optional). Seems like a bit more of your privacy being eroded away...

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

6. Re: Evening Metaverse May 24, 2012, 12:14 avianflu

if that means flash will update 100% automatically with windows update, than that is (sort of) a good thing. Flash is still a giant security issue no matter what.  

5. Re: Evening Metaverse May 24, 2012, 10:52 wtf_man

far scarier what this means for security, seeing that flash and anything from Adobe is like the Nr.2 point of attack for nearly every worm trojan and virus

Ayup. We're supposed to be dumping Flash for HTML5... not sticking with a targeted technology that is impossible to secure, and requires an install (for most platforms).

at least not until there is a way to use it without ANY live ID

well... I haven't been following Win8 that closely... but a work around might be setting up a linux box as a samba DC (or setting up Server 2008-R2 as a DC, downloaded from an MSDN or TechNet Account). I'm pretty sure enterprise logons to company domains won't be live IDs.

That said... I wouldn't get Windows 8 anyway. I fricken hate Metro.

4. Re: Evening Metaverse May 24, 2012, 09:21 bhcompy

Tanto Edge wrote on May 24, 2012, 02:08:
y'know, it'd make sense if they integrated silverlight as well.
What? Somebody gonna file antitrust?

Considering that the Metro framework IS Silverlight, I don't think it will be a problem.

What this is is a way for the Metro side of W8, which the browser doesn't support plugins, to have some type of competitive edge

3. Re: Evening Metaverse May 24, 2012, 09:06 eRe4s3r

And now that Windows 8 require stupid live ID login a single virus infection will not only get that login and all that it entails, but also compromise everything else that hangs on to that ID including possibly MSDN and email.

Is one of the reasons i will never get Windows 8 - at least not until there is a way to use it without ANY live ID

2. Re: Evening Metaverse May 24, 2012, 02:08 Tanto Edge

y'know, it'd make sense if they integrated silverlight as well.
What? Somebody gonna file antitrust?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

1. Re: Evening Metaverse May 24, 2012, 01:16 netnerd85

Well, that is interesting to say the least. Wonder what it means for Silverlight.  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo