Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Claims Sales Record

Blizzard Entertainment is claiming a new sales record for Diablo III, their action/RPG sequel, saying it is the biggest PC game launch in history. Of all time. Ever:

Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that as of the first 24 hours of Diablo® III’s release, more than 3.5 million copies had been sold, setting the new all-time record for fastest-selling PC game.* That number does not include the more than 1.2 million players who received Diablo III as part of signing up for the World of Warcraft® Annual Pass promotion. Altogether, more than 4.7 million gamers around the world were poised to storm Sanctuary on day 1 of Diablo III’s release -- representing the biggest PC-game launch in history.

“Regarding today’s announcement, we recognize that setting a new launch record is a big achievement” As of the first week of the game’s availability, that number had already grown to more than 6.3 million.* The above figures also do not include players in Korean Internet game rooms, where Diablo III has become the top-played game, achieving a record share of more than 39% as of May 22.†

“We’re definitely thrilled that so many people around the world were excited to pick up their copy of Diablo III and jump in the moment it went live,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “We also regret that our preparations were not enough to ensure everyone had a seamless experience when they did so. I want to reaffirm our commitment to make sure the millions of Diablo III players out there have a great experience with the game moving forward, and I also want to thank them for their ongoing support.”

“Regarding today’s announcement, we recognize that setting a new launch record is a big achievement,” Morhaime continued. “However, we’re especially proud of the gameplay feedback we’ve received from players worldwide. We’re pleased that Diablo III has lived up to players’ high expectations, and we’re looking forward to welcoming more players into Sanctuary in the days ahead.”

Diablo III went live on May 15, with more than 8,000 retailers throughout the U.S., Canada, Europe, South Korea, Southeast Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau opening their doors to players at midnight or concurrently with the local release time in celebration of the launch. In addition to being able to buy the game at retail stores, gamers in the regions above as well as in Mexico, Argentina, Chile, and Brazil are also able to purchase Diablo III digitally via the official Diablo III website (http://www.diablo3.com).

Commenting on the game’s sales achievement, Bob McKenzie, senior vice president of merchandising at GameStop, stated, “Diablo III was one of our biggest PC launches ever and will help make this a record year for Blizzard at GameStop.”

According to John Love, director of video games at Amazon.com, “Not only did Diablo III break the record for most preordered PC game of all-time on Amazon.com, but it also shattered the record for best day-one sales for any PC game ever on Amazon.com.” Blizzard thanks its retail partners around the world for their support and commitment to the Diablo series.

View
150 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

110. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 20:38 Sepharo

Zanthar wrote on May 23, 2012, 15:33:
Just another example of the low-life scum bags of society making things difficult for the honest, hard-working, people of the world. I blame the filth, not the companies employing people and producing a product.
That's just me though, I wasn't born and raised with a sense of entitlement like most people these days.
Hooo-weee! That is one of the stinkiest posts I've ever read.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

109. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 20:23 ASeven

Cutter wrote on May 23, 2012, 20:16:
ASeven wrote on May 23, 2012, 19:49:
No amount of marketing will be able to mask a lock on used games, for instance. That's what the rumors say the next consoles will have, and both manufacturers and publishers would love the next gen to have it. However this would be the line for console gamers, take away used games and I can see the next gen being not as successful as MS and Sony wish to be.

Also, if the rumors of using a 6670 for graphics chips for both consoles is true, and the words coming from Epic point in that way, then their power will indeed be far behind an average PC. There is a chance here for PC gaming to come out on top again, there's also a chance that if the jump isn't that great console gamers will see no reason to get a new console, especially if they bring the used games lock.

I think Blizzard has just proven otherwise here. Oh sure, it won't be for every game because they simply don't have that sort of clout, but the big titles will all do it. Oh well, the mouth-breathers have no one but themselves to blame. As for me, I think I'm slowly but surely coming to the end of gaming as a hobby if this is the future. Time to move along. Maybe I'll take up woodcarving or stained glasswork or something.

Go indie and you won't go wrong.

108. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 20:16 Cutter

No amount of marketing will be able to mask a lock on used games, for instance. That's what the rumors say the next consoles will have, and both manufacturers and publishers would love the next gen to have it. However this would be the line for console gamers, take away used games and I can see the next gen being not as successful as MS and Sony wish to be.

Also, if the rumors of using a 6670 for graphics chips for both consoles is true, and the words coming from Epic point in that way, then their power will indeed be far behind an average PC. There is a chance here for PC gaming to come out on top again, there's also a chance that if the jump isn't that great console gamers will see no reason to get a new console, especially if they bring the used games lock.

I think Blizzard has just proven otherwise here. Oh sure, it won't be for every game because they simply don't have that sort of clout, but the big titles will all do it. Oh well, the mouth-breathers have no one but themselves to blame. As for me, I think I'm slowly but surely coming to the end of gaming as a hobby if this is the future. Time to move along. Maybe I'll take up woodcarving or stained glasswork or something.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

107. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 20:10 PropheT

No amount of marketing will be able to mask a lock on used games, for instance.

The only thing it would take to make used games a thing of the past is a console with with cheap and easy (and plentiful) storage capacity combined with a decent digital distribution method a la Steam.

There will still be people who fall into a dead zone for it, lacking the broadband necessary to make it work... but it would be successful enough that it would make Gamestop's model obsolete. I think even they realize that, given what they invested into Impulse.

106. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 20:09 WaltC

Slippy wrote on May 23, 2012, 18:05:
Hey Walt,
Been thinking about purchasing Skyrim... Didn't have any time to game when it came out and then just never got around to it. Use Fallout 3 as a comparison... I love that game... do you think I would like Skyrim?

Thanks for your input in advance!

Warning--I really like this game! What follows is me trying to temper my emotions so that I can give you an objective read. As you can see, I failed!...;)

It's great, Skyrim is great--I liked F3, too, and I've modded that one extensively, as well. I think, however, that F3 doesn't hold a candle to Skyrim. (To be fair, though, F3 is a different story and hits many different themes accordingly.)

Skyrim surprised me on so many levels that I'm still tallying them up...;) Skyrim is sort of like...let's say, maybe, Morrowind or Oblivion, except that in Skyrim everything is done right! For instance, in Oblivion I always felt like I was traveling these vast distances to reach these tiny alcoves of human (and otherwise) activity, and that much of the game I spent ogling the scenery while fighting to stay awake...;) Skyrim is positively amazing in that in every single square acre of the game world, and it is huge!, there are, literally, several things of note to do, like cavern and cave explorations, lost treasure surprises, or battles with ferocious beasts or rogue sorcerers, hostile and friendly clans and tribes--the net affect is that compared with Morrowind/Oblivion, Skyrim is a virtual beehive of activity! You never get bored playing this game--I don't--a literally there's something new under every rock it seems! Even more remarkable for a computer game is the fact that the physical world inside Skyrim has differing geological features, depending on where you are--sort of like good 'ol earth, actually. Get ready for all kinds of marvelous terrain to travel.

The game is fairly non-linear in that you can decide where and how you want to play the main quests while exploring and taking on the seemingly endless array of secondary quests--and all of these generally involve a bit more than merely steppin' and fetchin'...

According to Steam, I've logged in 143 hours play, and I am not even 1/3 the way though the main quests and with still 3/4 of the world left to unroll and discover! Best news is that it hasn't bored me yet--not even once. This is the way I like to play--I don't lollygag (heh...;) If you don't already, you'll understand that slightly archaic word a bit better when you start playing) but I don't rush through it as though my britches were on fire, or because I have to take a really big "dump" and I need to finish the game a'fore it starts hurtin' bad!...;) I've never understood the mentality of rushing through a game by bypassing 70% of the content, simply to boast about "How fast I beat the game." I think in those circumstances it is clear that the game is beating its owner on or about the head, and quite severely, too.

Did I mention the mods? The game is very mod friendly and there are tons of cool mods, many of which definitely complement and improve upon the game play! The customization possible is remarkable.

The darn game is just fun, fun, fun...I don't know what else to say. It's a masterpiece--a definite classic in the making. It isn't "perfect"--but nothing is perfect. It's close, though.

If you like single-player role-playing games--Skyrim stands at the summit of them all at the moment, as far as I am concerned. If you don't buy another game this year--buy Skyrim (it has enough content to keep you hooked for the rest of the year, all by itself, if need be.)

I hope this is of some help to you even though I *did* try (somewhere in the above text) to present things coolly and dispassionately.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

105. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 20:01 NegaDeath

SimplyMonk wrote on May 23, 2012, 19:24:
Why not? If you are bad at coding and don't want to spend time performance tweaking your shit, you can always just throw hardware at it.

While performance tweaking is indeed part of the development cost throwing hardware at it doesn't alleviate the other factors that will increase costs; mainly visual quality, game complexity and related debugging. Each gen games have become more expensive to produce as the increased hardware allows for more complexity. Sony, MS and Ninty won't spend millions/billions creating advanced platforms so devs can release games with old visuals and high performance.

We've reached a breaking point where devs are collapsing after games fail because they spent so much on development. Too many companies have been scuttled or bought out this gen as it is. Few of them want to truly tackle games using the level of tech Epic is pushing. I mean hell look at Witcher2. It looks great but even that was using old DX9.

104. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 20:00 SimplyMonk

Kitkoan wrote on May 23, 2012, 19:27:
Load times are more based on your media transfer rates.

Truth, but my point was more meant to illustrate that high-end hardware can decrease game development costs (unless you have esoteric configurations like PS3 Cell). My fault for choosing a poor example.

103. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 19:49 ASeven

102. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 19:27 Kitkoan

SimplyMonk wrote on May 23, 2012, 19:24:
NegaDeath wrote on May 23, 2012, 19:03:
With the skyrocketing costs of game development I doubt many studios are asking for a huge hardware increase either.

Why not? If you are bad at coding and don't want to spend time performance tweaking your shit, you can always just throw hardware at it. Takes five minutes to load each level? Give it another 16 gigs of RAM, another 8 CPUs (although making use of those is most likely more challenging) and 2 more GPUs. Load times non-existent!

Load times are more based on your media transfer rates. If you have 2 gigs of texture and bloated code to load up into the system then it doesn't matter how much RAM, CPU and GPU you have. Multiply your answer by 100 and its still limited by the weakest link in the chain. Its why SSD is gaining popularity with some businesses since it can load so much more faster (HDD still are prefered for long term storage).

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

101. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 19:24 SimplyMonk

NegaDeath wrote on May 23, 2012, 19:03:
With the skyrocketing costs of game development I doubt many studios are asking for a huge hardware increase either.

Why not? If you are bad at coding and don't want to spend time performance tweaking your shit, you can always just throw hardware at it. Takes five minutes to load each level? Give it another 16 gigs of RAM, another 8 CPUs (although making use of those is most likely more challenging) and 2 more GPUs. Load times non-existent!

100. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 19:17 Wolfen

HAHA 100th comment... and I don't even own the game!  

99. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 19:03 NegaDeath

ASeven wrote on May 23, 2012, 18:26:
I wouldn't bet much on that for the next generation

After the financial success of the technologically archaic Wii and the explosion of cheap games for cell phones I don't doubt that the next gen won't be a big, expensive jump. Sweeney can ask for hardware to nearly render Avatar all he wants, his company won't be hemorrhaging cash on hardware costs. I'm sure it's VERY easy for him to ask them to make a platform that he can sell his new engine on though. With the skyrocketing costs of game development I doubt many studios are asking for a huge hardware increase either.

98. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 19:03 Wowbagger_TIP

Optional nickname wrote on May 23, 2012, 17:38:
Blizzard is deleting all my posts in tech support, and here too.

I wrote stuff about how their game has melted some of my hardware components, due to the repeated shut downs that tens of thousands of players are also experiencing, (but have no alternate system to post on)

all my comments deleted, and here at blues too, the Nvidia driver update story, GONE.

good riddance failed sequel attempt that is Diablo 3, totally believed my gut feeling that this was going to be a disastrous dumbed down sequel, waiting all this time, for what, lol

COMON GRIM DAWN!!! TAKE US OUTTA HERE.
No idea what you're talking about. Your post in the NVidia thread here is still there, as is the story itself. I don't doubt that Blizzard deleted your post. You seem to offer no evidence of anything, and just pulled some random statistic out of your ass about how many people are experiencing the problem. Of course they'd probably delete your post even quicker if you had evidence, but I find it terribly difficult to work up any sympathy for anyone that bought D3 anyway.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

97. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 18:59 eunichron

I wouldn't bet much on that for the next generation.

It's going to be a long time before any gaming rigs are able to render Avatar in real-time, that's still a fairly unrealistic goal for current tech. All MS and Sony have to do is make a console that is on par with current generation PC hardware, which at a minimum would be DX11.1 compliance and true 1080p rendering, which wouldn't be hard at all with current available hardware.

96. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 18:52 AnointedSword

Bam!:)  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

95. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 18:48 CJ_Parker

I wouldn't bet much on that for the next generation.

It doesn't matter how powerful the hardware of the next gen of consoles will be. What matters is how powerful the marketing push of Microsoft and Sony (and to a lesser extent Nintendo) will be.
And you can bet your ass that the marketing push is going to be frickin' HUGE.

The cycle will start all over again. We will experience a period when the PC is effectively irrelevant. When all effort of the major gaming corps is going to focus on the shiny new next gen consoles. There'll be the usual bribes and exclusives. If we're lucky they'll be only timed exclusives but some major games will probably never come to the PC at all. There will be a lot of wailing and crying from PC gamers about how it's unfair that game X or franchise Y is not happening on the PC. We'll be getting lots of shitty ports months or even years after the games first appeared on the consoles.
It won't be pretty for us PC gamers. We'll be the platform that all of a sudden no one cares about again until after a few years the next gen console hype has worn out and then some publishers will once again lie about their commitment to the PC and then that part of the cycle starts all over again, too, until the next-next gen is announced... and the cycle continues - ad infinitum (unless the actual end of offline PC gaming comes in between).

94. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 18:46 Slippy

Bhruic wrote on May 23, 2012, 18:27:
I'm just a little disappointed that in the trailer Blizzard released a few days before the game went online, a Blizzard employee definitely states that "there's a single player game in D3."

I'm sure you must have mis-heard, because the fine authorities here at Blue's have categorically stated that there is no singleplayer in D3, and I'm sure they would know much better than a Blizzard employee.
Agreed. You can definately Solo in D3 (and even hire an AI controled puppet to help you) but I would NOT call it single player. I do love the naratives with the hirlings though... LOL. My favorite is when the little wizard girl from Act II says the Barbarian is like her brother and he responds, "...I won't discuss love with you though." and she is speechless.

93. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 18:41 Ratty

Loved D1. Got burned on D2 - shelled out my money like a sap only to discover the SP game sucked. Didn't play it more than an hour before uninstalling it. Never even got excited about D3. Some of us DO learn our lessons.  

92. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 18:27 Bhruic

I'm just a little disappointed that in the trailer Blizzard released a few days before the game went online, a Blizzard employee definitely states that "there's a single player game in D3."

I'm sure you must have mis-heard, because the fine authorities here at Blue's have categorically stated that there is no singleplayer in D3, and I'm sure they would know much better than a Blizzard employee.

91. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 18:26 LemonJoose

This is not surprising to me at all. Although I have switched over to being almost exclusively a console gamer, I bought Diablo 3 during the first week it was out despite the fact that I loathe what Blizzard did with making the game require an active internet connection to log in and play even single player games. In fact I am hoping that this is a temporary piracy-prevention thing during the launch timeframe, and that eventually Blizzard will issue a patch which will let single player games be played without an internet connection. All they have to do to make that possible is prevent single-player characters from being used in online multiplayer games. Other games (e.g. Sacred 2) have already done that.  

150 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo