Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend

Tripwire Interactive announces a Red Orchestra 2 Game of the Year Edition to celebrate the positive reception for their multiplayer military shooter sequel. This GotY edition is expected by tomorrow, and it will be enhanced with additional content, including a new map and new gameplay modes. Those who already own the game will be pleased to learn all the newness will be offered to them as a free download, and will kick off a free weekend for the game on Steam, as word is: "The GOTY Edition Free Content Pack will download automatically for everyone who already owns the game - and, so everyone else can try the full game, Red Orchestra 2 will be available completely free to play for everyone on Steam this weekend, starting Thursday 24 May 2012 at 10AM Pacific Time. The content pack will be released before the free weekend starts." Here's an outline of the new features being added to the game:

• "Action" mode - Featuring a crosshair, easier aiming and toned down recoil, reduced damage and open access to a wide range of weaponry Action mode is the perfect first step for players into the world of Red Orchestra.
  • "Classic" mode blends the gameplay innovations of the new game with the tactical and edgy gameplay of the original giving the fans of the first game exactly what they want.
  • Mamayev Kurgan - complete new map, featuring both close-quarters battles in trenches and bunkers, as well as longer ranged combat across the famous hill in Stalingrad
  • Refined and improved gameplay across the board, vehicle improvements, and way better performance and polish. We listened to the community and based on their feedback refined and tweaked almost every major feature in the game!

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend May 28, 2012, 21:01 Ant

Dang. I missed it or is it still on? I assume it ended yesterday at 1:00 PM PDT.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend May 24, 2012, 21:29 Yosemite Sam

bjack wrote on May 24, 2012, 20:20:
Also, Darkest Hour for RO1 is awesome.

... and I havent tried it yet, but Mare Nostrum looks wicked, also an RO1 mod.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

14. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend May 24, 2012, 20:20 bjack

Yosemite Sam wrote on May 24, 2012, 16:59:
KTR wrote on May 24, 2012, 00:33:
Yosemite Sam wrote on May 23, 2012, 13:25:
They ever add tank warfare to this game? I don't mean a couple of tanks for infantry support, but all out tanks vs tanks warfare like in the first game. That was great fun in OSt, totally passed this one over when I found out tanks took a back seat.

Gumrak is the Tank v. Tank map and has been there since day 1.

Really, so one map that allows T-34's vs Panzer IV's? As opposed to OST that had Arad, Barashka, Bondarevo, Ogledow, Kriviorog, and Tigers, STUGs, Panzer IV'S, Panzer III's. Panthers, T-34's, SU-76's, KV1S, IS2'S and T-60's? Like I said, tank warefare took a backseat and I took a pass.

Yep, all that. Why did they even bother adding tanks into their Russian window hurdling simulator called RO2. "Combined arms" in RO2 is a total joke.

Also, Darkest Hour for RO1 is awesome.

13. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend May 24, 2012, 16:59 Yosemite Sam

KTR wrote on May 24, 2012, 00:33:
They ever add tank warfare to this game? I don't mean a couple of tanks for infantry support, but all out tanks vs tanks warfare like in the first game. That was great fun in OSt, totally passed this one over when I found out tanks took a back seat.

Really, so one map that allows T-34's vs Panzer IV's? As opposed to OST that had Arad, Barashka, Bondarevo, Ogledow, Kriviorog, and Tigers, STUGs, Panzer IV'S, Panzer III's. Panthers, T-34's, SU-76's, KV1S, IS2'S and T-60's? Like I said, tank warefare took a backseat and I took a pass.

12. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend May 24, 2012, 01:16 KilrathiAce

TWI is simply afraid of http://store.steampowered.com/app/91330/ (iron front) game coming out this week, it will offer basically everything RO2 promised but never really delivered. Iron Front will at the very least deliver best armor system (ww2) in gaming nowdays.

Developers of DH Darkest Hour mod for ro1 also working on new game, hopefully that will prove good.

TWI tried to make RO2 appeal to both old ro1 gamers/sim lovers and new kiddies fps community and in the end they didnt appeal really to anyone, I think if they stuck to old values it be much better.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

11. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend May 24, 2012, 00:33 KTR

10. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend May 23, 2012, 22:01 G-Snake

This game is a little rough around the edges, but I still play it on occasion and if there are decent servers, it's a fun game for sure.

What I like about it (aside from kickass bolt-action rifles) are the small little gameplay things they got right. The cover system, the leaning, the being able to run while you're crouched, being able to rest your weapon along a window ledge to stabilize it. Not to mention I actually like the netcode in RO2, you shoot a guy and it feels like a solid kill everytime.

The game runs a little sluggish at times and doesn't have the polish of a AAA title, but if you like FPS shooters, check this one out, you might be surprised.

PS. I have not played this newly patched version...my opinions are based on older builds of the game. I'll try to post an update after playing the new version for a bit

9. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend May 23, 2012, 15:57 DangerDog

actually purchased it, played the beta for awhile but it just didn't grab me. BF3 came out shortly after this was released and never went back to RO2.

I've got to give Tripwire props for at least trying to resurrect the game, especially with free content.

8. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend May 23, 2012, 14:27 fatguy

7. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend May 23, 2012, 13:51 LittleMe

Refined and improved gameplay across the board, vehicle improvements, and way better performance and polish. We listened to the community and based on their feedback refined and tweaked almost every major feature in the game!

Wow sounds great. This was needed. As was already said here, if I can pull myself away from DayZ, I'll be playing this.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

6. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend May 23, 2012, 13:25 Yosemite Sam

5. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend May 23, 2012, 12:48 briktal

Teddy wrote on May 23, 2012, 12:26:
Not that the game was bad or anything, but... shouldn't you have to actually win a 'game of the year' award somewhere to release a "game of the year" edition?

Apparently it was PC Gamer's "Multiplayer FPS of the Year"

4. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend May 23, 2012, 12:26 Teddy

Not that the game was bad or anything, but... shouldn't you have to actually win a 'game of the year' award somewhere to release a "game of the year" edition?  

3. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend May 23, 2012, 11:47 Verno

I never really spent much time with this because of the buggy launch, I'll have to get back into it soon.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

2. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend May 23, 2012, 11:22 Techie714

This was a great game! The graphics are "ok" but the mechanics are solid & a great balance of realism. I'll be jumping back on too.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

1. Re: Red Orchestra 2 GoTY Brings Free Content & Free Weekend May 23, 2012, 10:58 Shok

I've never played this so may have to download and try it this weekend, assuming I can get away from DayZ. I miss BF1942 type of gameplay, especially tank on tank.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo