Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has word of staff cuts at BioWare Austin, the development studio behind Star Wars: The Old Republic, the sci-fi MMORPG. The update from Doctors Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka does not say why this is happening, but does that this about the future: "Rest assured that we remain dedicated to delivering a high quality service in SWTOR to you, our fans, and we will continue to support and grow Star Wars: The Old Republic over the weeks, months and years to come." VentureBeat has a follow-up comment on this from Electronic Arts:

BioWare has restructured its studio in Austin today. Of the employees impacted, some will be able to join other projects within EA, others will leave the company. These are very difficult decisions, but it allows us to focus our staff to maintain and grow Star Wars: The Old Republic.

BioWare Austin remains a large and important part of BioWare and EA, working with other studios around the world to continue to deliver a high-quality service and exciting new content for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:11 sauron

CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:03:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:47:
To say the least. Nothing like hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work just because you don't like a product. Maybe one day he'll get laid off and a bunch of people will laugh at him for it. It'd be fitting.

Maybe next year when you enter elementary school your reading comprehension will improve. Because I said nothing about "hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work", ya know? I'm hoping for this game to fail just like it deserves. The people can fuck off and go work on some other EA/BioWare piece of shit game... I don't give a fuck. I ain't hoping for anything in that regard.

Also, reported this post for lack of intelligence. Nevermind multiple uses of the word 'fuck' in a single sentence, the braindead content makes my neurons hurt just reading it.

Is this really the best you got? Come on, at least try.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:05 sauron

CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:03:
To say the least. Nothing like hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work just because you don't like a product. Maybe one day he'll get laid off and a bunch of people will laugh at him for it. It'd be fitting.

Maybe next year when you enter elementary school your reading comprehension will improve. Because I said nothing about "hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work", ya know? I'm hoping for this game to fail just like it deserves. The people can fuck off and go work on some other EA/BioWare piece of shit game... I don't give a fuck. I ain't hoping for anything in that regard.

And we don't give the same about anything you say. Watch your language, or better still, go away.

Bye now.

Kittens!

14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:04 SimplyMonk

Although he posted it in the most crude way possible, he has a point. I've never liked the "Hate the Sin, but love the Sinner" sort of mentality. If you dislike a product, then you should have commitment to hold responsible the people who created the product.

The game wasn't badly programmed or coded and the artwork/story was solid so I'm sure the artists, writers and coders don't have much to worry about in finding alternative employment (well, no more than artists/writers normally do) with a solid job and experience under their belts and on their resumes.

The designers, project managers and producers though? Fuck those guys. They can stand in unemployment lines until they learn how to come up with an original idea or at least polish things to the point where the customer doesn't mind that it is WoW in Space.

13. removed May 22, 2012, 19:03 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 22, 2012, 19:31.

12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:03 sauron

eunichron wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:36:
1badmf wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:22:
as much as I've loved star wars all my life, this last desperate attempt to shove mediocrity down our throats and have us shit out money for them had to fail for the MMO Genre to move on and evolve. I said so many a time when I was in early closed beta, hoping it was early enough that they could at least try to implement a few creative design choices. but of course the message was ignored when all they could see were the dollar signs WoW was raking in.

i suppose that comes with a built-in fear of experimentation, but any objective fan of MMOs at the time could see the writing on the wall - the WOW formula was dying, and the next attempt at it would likely be the saturation point of exhaustion for the market, leading to failure of said attempt. i don't know what the design evolution of MMOs should be, but please no more WOW clones.

I think, in general, the message has gotten across. With the rave press that Guild Wars 2 is getting, the flop of SW:TOR, and the lukewarm press and customer reaction that WoW: Mists of Pandaria is getting (I still keep in touch with some of my old WoW guildmates that play, and all of them in the beta are saying it's the worst expansion by far), it's pretty clear that MMORPG players want something new, and currently the only game offering it is GW2. Sucks if you're looking for something Star Wars related, but hopefully the message is clear to developers and the next Star Wars MMO won't just be another get rich quick scheme.

I could go for some GW2 right about now. WoW is kind of long in the tooth, and my old favorite FFXI is really, really lacking in new content. I'm currently enjoying LOTRO a lot, see how that goes but a new dimension for us MMO addicts is way overdue.

A shame nobody made T'Rain (only Neal Stephenson fans will get that one).

Kittens!

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:02 wtf_man

Uh, I didn't see him jumping for joy over people losing their jobs.

I saw him jumping for joy that a shitty product is getting it's just deserts in the marketplace.

And I agree. As a consumer, one can't reward failure. If failure is rewarded, then that gives license to keep producing failure. While I'm sure many of those folks that lost their jobs are talented and hard workers, the project itself is a failure. (On a commercial level and ROI level)

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 18:47 Parallax Abstraction

Rattlehead wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:02:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 17:59:
It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to see this game fail. Not that I have any real hope they'll do the right thing and start working on an OT MMO with space combat (you know, like SWG done right) but just to see this dumb WoW clone Old Republic fucker fail is extremely satisfactory. Seems like a slow and painful death, too, which makes it even more fun. Come on. Crumble some more, bitch...

^Dumbass

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 18:36 eunichron

1badmf wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:22:
as much as I've loved star wars all my life, this last desperate attempt to shove mediocrity down our throats and have us shit out money for them had to fail for the MMO Genre to move on and evolve. I said so many a time when I was in early closed beta, hoping it was early enough that they could at least try to implement a few creative design choices. but of course the message was ignored when all they could see were the dollar signs WoW was raking in.

i suppose that comes with a built-in fear of experimentation, but any objective fan of MMOs at the time could see the writing on the wall - the WOW formula was dying, and the next attempt at it would likely be the saturation point of exhaustion for the market, leading to failure of said attempt. i don't know what the design evolution of MMOs should be, but please no more WOW clones.

I think, in general, the message has gotten across. With the rave press that Guild Wars 2 is getting, the flop of SW:TOR, and the lukewarm press and customer reaction that WoW: Mists of Pandaria is getting (I still keep in touch with some of my old WoW guildmates that play, and all of them in the beta are saying it's the worst expansion by far), it's pretty clear that MMORPG players want something new, and currently the only game offering it is GW2. Sucks if you're looking for something Star Wars related, but hopefully the message is clear to developers and the next Star Wars MMO won't just be another get rich quick scheme.

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 18:28 PropheT

Lorcin wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:07:
The space combat was quite possibly the biggest single disappointment of the game.

In retrospect, the space combat was actually the only thing I really enjoyed with the game. Everything else just felt like a waste of time.

7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 18:22 1badmf

6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 18:07 Lorcin

Cj does have a point - seriously where is my multiplayer Death Star trench run???? I went into TOR really wanting the space combat to be on a par with the X-Wing and Tie-Fighter of old, instead I got House of The Dead in space.

The space combat was quite possibly the biggest single disappointment of the game.

5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 18:02 Rattlehead

CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 17:59:
It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to see this game fail. Not that I have any real hope they'll do the right thing and start working on an OT MMO with space combat (you know, like SWG done right) but just to see this dumb WoW clone Old Republic fucker fail is extremely satisfactory. Seems like a slow and painful death, too, which makes it even more fun. Come on. Crumble some more, bitch...

^Dumbass

4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 18:00 RollinThundr

Jerykk wrote on May 22, 2012, 17:58:
Free-to-play in 3...2...1...

Bioware: the next Origin/Bullfrog/Westwood. It's coming. Especially if DA3 goes the same route that DA2 did, and the ME3 Fiasco of an ending.

3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 17:59 CJ_Parker

2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 17:58 Jerykk

Free-to-play in 3...2...1...  

1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 17:56 Lorcin

The last ever thing an MMO, which you can get the top raiding armour inside a 1 month trial, is to cuts in the staff.

They shouldn't be so quick to write it off and work bloody hard to at least double the amount of endgame content if they want those all important renewals.

I quit after basically finishing the PVE game (don't play PvP) and I've seen NOTHING since. Nothing has stuck in my mind as new content, upadted content etc etc - I read a lot of gaming press but if Bioware have added new content I've completely missed it.

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo