Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has word of staff cuts at BioWare Austin, the development studio behind Star Wars: The Old Republic, the sci-fi MMORPG. The update from Doctors Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka does not say why this is happening, but does that this about the future: "Rest assured that we remain dedicated to delivering a high quality service in SWTOR to you, our fans, and we will continue to support and grow Star Wars: The Old Republic over the weeks, months and years to come." VentureBeat has a follow-up comment on this from Electronic Arts:

BioWare has restructured its studio in Austin today. Of the employees impacted, some will be able to join other projects within EA, others will leave the company. These are very difficult decisions, but it allows us to focus our staff to maintain and grow Star Wars: The Old Republic.

BioWare Austin remains a large and important part of BioWare and EA, working with other studios around the world to continue to deliver a high-quality service and exciting new content for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

56. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 21:32 deqer

Wolfen wrote on May 22, 2012, 21:21:
It's his site, and
ya ya...

"my site, my rules" blah blah.

if the original poster really wants to know
it's not so much about that, but rather it's the fact that you'd save a bunch of speculated discussion by just saying the reason rather keeping it silent and thus everyone wasting time wondering or criticizing the choice that Blue made to delete it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 21:21 Wolfen

deqer wrote on May 22, 2012, 20:57:
Prez wrote on May 22, 2012, 20:31:
I still can't fathom why his post was deleted -
wait, what? his post was deleted? lol.

sad enough that people report such pity stuff, but worse that Blue actually does it and doesn't bother to provide a reason--because his reason must be correct without room for argument apparently.

I don't really think Blue has to explain himself. It's his site, and if the original poster really wants to know why I am betting he could email Blue and ask why it was deleted. Had it happen to me once and I got an honest answer. -shrugs-

54. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 21:13 Prez

You're an asshole Prez, but thats part of your... charm?

Gorgeous

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

53. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 21:09 Kitkoan

Prez wrote on May 22, 2012, 20:04:
I must just be an asshole because I don't really see anything wrong with CJ's original post that has got everyone's panties in a twist. Sure, he seems to be taking an inordinate amount of pleasure in someone's failure, but considering how much cash was thrown at it, how bad it turned out, and that it replaced the game most people seem to have actually wanted (KotoR 3), even that is somewhat understandable. I'm not going to start the "CJ Parker: Troll Extraordinaire Fan Club" or anything, but I am kind of in agreement with him.

You're an asshole Prez, but thats part of your... charm?

On a more serious note, I'm with you about CJ's comment. Sure it wasn't the most elegantly phrased, but is right. The company made a crappy product and its failing for being crap. This is a good thing. Too many companies and their crappy products keep getting praised and declared as "innovative" or whatever the newest buzz word is, and the blind masses buy the crap because they are praised in the media.

This keeps leading to more and more crappy products. We all complain about CoD being a crappy game that keeps coming out with carbon copy sequels but you know what? They keep selling even though they are crap. This really shouldn't be happening and its a good sign that one of these things is failing for following this crap-more-crap business model. Just because a company pisses out a ton of money at the product doesn't mean it should succeed.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

52. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 21:05 ^mortis^

nothing worse than tenured academics...nothing.

^m^

51. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 20:57 deqer

Prez wrote on May 22, 2012, 20:31:
I still can't fathom why his post was deleted -
wait, what? his post was deleted? lol.

sad enough that people report such pity stuff, but worse that Blue actually does it and doesn't bother to provide a reason--because his reason must be correct without room for argument apparently.

50. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 20:57 HorrorScope

Yeah to CJ's remarks, yes take them literally and it sounds harsh. But take them as a gamer making broad comments on a gaming forum, here is what CJ really said. "Bioware neglects to make the games the way the majority wants them made anymore. So when they do that and it doesn't work, don't be surprised by the results and don't expect me to tear up. They ignored the customer."

No one wants to see avg Joe worker lose employment, less the employer it seems these days has no problem relieving Joe worker from the payroll, as HP readies the release of 30K heads. Perhaps some want to see those making the big decisions who feel made the wrong decisions let go of their duties. I can see that. To me those at the top with the big $$$ should be the one's at more risk when failure happens, they are paid handsomely not to fail. The soldiers under them follow their lead. But then again everything is upside down right now as we weather the shit storm.

49. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 20:54 Wolfen

nin wrote on May 22, 2012, 20:51:
Prez wrote on May 22, 2012, 20:44:
Okay, I'm gonna get creamed for this, but I didn't think the last one was that bad. It actually set up the original trilogy nicley. Take away the goofy shit like that crap with R2-D2 and replace whiney Christiansen with someone who could actually act and you may have had something. You have to admit the opening space battle scene was pretty sweet, right?

Right??

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

Better yet the old http://lukevadernoooo.ytmnd.com/

48. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 20:53 The Half Elf

sauron wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:30:
RollinThundr wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:27:
sauron wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:20:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:18:
Is this really the best you got? Come on, at least try.

Sure, I could do that as well but why bother? It would just end up with a red *removed* text thanks to you NAZI GESTAPO forum police.

Go ahead. I dare you. If you don't, I'll assume you can't.

Also, be entertaining, not profane. The latter is not a substitute for the former.

Game on, baby. Give it your best shot. Also, try to use words of more than one syllable.

Jesus Christ sauron what are you 12?

College professor, actually, but baiting trolls is ageless and timeless. It's the sport of kings.

Educated, egotistical, and you still come across like a douche. Congrats sir, you are indeed the king of assholes.
*golf claps*

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

47. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 20:51 nin

Prez wrote on May 22, 2012, 20:44:
Okay, I'm gonna get creamed for this, but I didn't think the last one was that bad. It actually set up the original trilogy nicley. Take away the goofy shit like that crap with R2-D2 and replace whiney Christiansen with someone who could actually act and you may have had something. You have to admit the opening space battle scene was pretty sweet, right?

Right??

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

46. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 20:48 gilgalad75

Couldn't have said it better myself, CJ. Oh how we carefully documented the bugs, posted them in detail, kept tabs and lists of crafting errors and what not, and begged for them to fix the game.

Only to be spat upon and ignored. They un-stickied the long list of crafting bugs we created.

When we reported lag and overheating issues, they PR guy gleefully announced that it was only a few "lower end machines" that experience this issue. Go play your Illum now, jerk!

My friggin graphics card died because of the game. Many of us told them about the horrible engine, and they only mocked and ignored us.
Do I keep track of the game on xfire and twitch.com, watching it slowly DIE every day? You bet I do, it's my new hobby until Guild Wars 2 comes out.

45. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 20:44 Prez

Right??

Helllllloooooo?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

44. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 20:39 ASeven

DangerDog wrote on May 22, 2012, 20:35:
I remember a time when I thought Star Wars was cool.

then George Lucas made the prequels.

You're doing it wrong. Here, allow me:

Star Wars used to be cool, but then it took a George Lucas to its knee.

43. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 20:37 ASeven

CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 20:16:
Maybe if we add all of the other fixed and variable costs that every business needs to cover we'd be getting into the 30% - 40% range but I doubt that we'd ever get anywhere near 60% to 80%.

The reason I say 60 to 80% is simple: Lucasarts. EA has more than likely have to pay Lucasarts for the IP, royalties, etc, and anyone who knows the entertainment industry a bit knows that Lucasarts do not charge cheaply. After EA pays Lucasarts I wouldn't be surprised if the 80% figure was met.

42. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 20:35 DangerDog

I remember a time when I thought Star Wars was cool.

then George Lucas made the prequels.

41. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 20:31 Prez

I still can't fathom why his post was deleted - everyone here is pretty used to the word "fuck" I should think. They wouldn't stick around long if it bothered them, since it is the third-most common word uses on Blues forums, behind only 'a' and 'the'. Seriously - let's all put on our big boy and big girl pants, mkay?

And he was right about reading comprehension - he never wished anyone lose their job. Someone else did some dubious creative interpretation to get there.

- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 20:25 Sepharo

sauron wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:11:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:03:
Maybe next year when you enter elementary school your reading comprehension will improve. Because I said nothing about "hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work", ya know? I'm hoping for this game to fail just like it deserves. The people can fuck off and go work on some other EA/BioWare piece of shit game... I don't give a fuck. I ain't hoping for anything in that regard.

Also, reported this post for lack of intelligence. Nevermind multiple uses of the word 'fuck' in a single sentence, the braindead content makes my neurons hurt just reading it.

Is this really the best you got? Come on, at least try.

Really?! Reporting the guy for a barb about reading comprehension? And then quoting it anyway? And then asking for more?

sauron wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:30:
RollinThundr wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:27:
Jesus Christ sauron what are you 12?
College professor, actually, but baiting trolls is ageless and timeless. It's the sport of kings.

Puke

39. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 20:16 CJ_Parker

ASeven wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:54:
You are thinking in terms of revenue only. Remember that there are costs and with a MMORPG those costs tend to be huge, from paying personnel to paying the server structure, etc. I'm willing to bet that 60% to 80% of those revenues were eaten away by the fixed and variable costs.

I know but I'm sure that if we included the extra income that they have been making from the sale of retail and digital goods and service fees it would balance out.
And I don't think the costs are that high. Let's get aggressive and assume 200 employees in total costing an average of US$ 5K each per head and month = US$ 1 million.
Then there's ~200 servers and let us go crazy again and assume a rental fee or TCO of US$ 10K per server per month = US$ 2 million (I don't think it is anywhere near that high or they would have already merged servers if the costs were that high but anyway...).
Then we're at ~US$ 3 million and remember we're making US$ 15 million from subs per month so we're only at about 20% for employees and server maintenance now which should be the largest chunks by far.
Maybe if we add all of the other fixed and variable costs that every business needs to cover we'd be getting into the 30% - 40% range but I doubt that we'd ever get anywhere near 60% to 80%.

38. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 20:15 NegaDeath

I know we've had some issues the last couple years but I'll make you a deal Bioware. Create a development team tasked to create a single player RPG. Take and modify assets from this game, combine with new assets geared towards single player. Doing this allows you to salvage some of the development costs of the MMORPG. Call it KOTOR3. Avoid your urge for more LOST style endings. Do all this and we can call that a sale.  

37. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 20:07 Cutter

ASeven wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:57:
As for developers losing their jobs, it's always terrible to lose a job but game developers do have a bit more options than the average job, they can either get employed by a publisher or easily go indie, made even more easy by avenues like Kickstarter. Doesn't mean they'll succeed or get a revenue but at least the chance of going indie is there, and the chance of a good idea making it to the top sellers list.

Game developers do have a few more options in case of unemployment.

They have loads more options. It's not like they have to stay in game development. Other industries may not be as sexy or fun but they pay the bills just as well if not better. People need tax software and advertisers need artwork too.

Regardless. These guys haven't even made back a 1/4 of what they've put into it. At this point it looks like they'll never recoup all their initial costs, nevermind ongoing.

Who fucking called it? This guy! Booyah! Now, where's my fucking hero cookie?!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo