Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has word of staff cuts at BioWare Austin, the development studio behind Star Wars: The Old Republic, the sci-fi MMORPG. The update from Doctors Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka does not say why this is happening, but does that this about the future: "Rest assured that we remain dedicated to delivering a high quality service in SWTOR to you, our fans, and we will continue to support and grow Star Wars: The Old Republic over the weeks, months and years to come." VentureBeat has a follow-up comment on this from Electronic Arts:

BioWare has restructured its studio in Austin today. Of the employees impacted, some will be able to join other projects within EA, others will leave the company. These are very difficult decisions, but it allows us to focus our staff to maintain and grow Star Wars: The Old Republic.

BioWare Austin remains a large and important part of BioWare and EA, working with other studios around the world to continue to deliver a high-quality service and exciting new content for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

76. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 23, 2012, 08:27 ASeven

Cutter wrote on May 23, 2012, 05:48:
StingingVelvet wrote on May 23, 2012, 05:04:
wtf_man wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:40:
Bioware was dead to me after DA2. I never got into the ME series... bought ME1 on steam, and it just didn't grab me for some reason, so I never bought ME2 or ME3.

Although they say they have learned from DA2... I tend to doubt it... we'll see though.

And, yes, I think if DA3 fails, EA will kill Bioware off. They already have for the most part.... just the name still exists... but that will go next.

You guys are amusing with this Bioware is dying hyperbole. ME3 sold better than 1 and 2, and while DA2 was disappointing it was not a total bomb or a long-term trend. TOR was a mandated project and despite "only" a million subs and a probably free-to-play future I would guess it will make a decent ROI for EA.

It's too strong a brand to kill, and hasn't had that many failures at all. Westwood and Bullfrog in comparison were more niche developers (PC only) and hadn't had a good hit in years and years when they closed. Also Westwood basically became part of EA LA, rather than thrown out on their asses.

People can ignore a one-off failure, but when it starts to develop into a pattern as it is with BiowarEA then people aren't so quick to jump on-board and part with their hard-earned cash. You also have to rememember that you're talking about ever expanding budgets whilst their sales decline. And that's how the beginning of the end starts. You can bet the suits at EA are taking a long, hard look at Bioware right now trying to figure out what to do exactly.

It's as if SV doesn't know how the industry works nowadays. Of course Bioware future is in jeopardy and the best proof of that is the layoffs, you don't fire people if you think the future of that house is rock solid despite failures.

Again, and I'm calling it now, if DA3 fails in selling adequately it will be the beginning of the end for BW. This is EA whcih is driven by profit and stock price. Hell, they announced a profit for the first time in years and their stocks are plummeting in value and close to breaking below the $14 price point, throwing them back to 1998-97 price levels.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

75. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 23, 2012, 05:48 Cutter

StingingVelvet wrote on May 23, 2012, 05:04:
ASeven wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:30:
Well, this is pretty much it. $300M down the drain with no significant ROI at all and now the people suffer.

Could this be the beginning of the end for Bioware? If DA3 doesn't sell well I can see BW folding and joining the big graveyard of developer houses EA chewed and spit.

Bioware was dead to me after DA2. I never got into the ME series... bought ME1 on steam, and it just didn't grab me for some reason, so I never bought ME2 or ME3.

Although they say they have learned from DA2... I tend to doubt it... we'll see though.

And, yes, I think if DA3 fails, EA will kill Bioware off. They already have for the most part.... just the name still exists... but that will go next.

You guys are amusing with this Bioware is dying hyperbole. ME3 sold better than 1 and 2, and while DA2 was disappointing it was not a total bomb or a long-term trend. TOR was a mandated project and despite "only" a million subs and a probably free-to-play future I would guess it will make a decent ROI for EA.

It's too strong a brand to kill, and hasn't had that many failures at all. Westwood and Bullfrog in comparison were more niche developers (PC only) and hadn't had a good hit in years and years when they closed. Also Westwood basically became part of EA LA, rather than thrown out on their asses.

People can ignore a one-off failure, but when it starts to develop into a pattern as it is with BiowarEA then people aren't so quick to jump on-board and part with their hard-earned cash. You also have to rememember that you're talking about ever expanding budgets whilst their sales decline. And that's how the beginning of the end starts. You can bet the suits at EA are taking a long, hard look at Bioware right now trying to figure out what to do exactly.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

74. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 23, 2012, 05:43 Zadig

After the failure of all the previous 'AAA' licensed WoWclones - Conan, Lotro, Warhammer, etc - it was obvious this was a really bad idea, but I'm glad that didn't stop Bioware from flushing a few hundred million dollars down the toilet to prove it.  

73. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 23, 2012, 05:04 StingingVelvet

ASeven wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:30:
Well, this is pretty much it. $300M down the drain with no significant ROI at all and now the people suffer.

Could this be the beginning of the end for Bioware? If DA3 doesn't sell well I can see BW folding and joining the big graveyard of developer houses EA chewed and spit.

72. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 23, 2012, 01:58 OldTimber

The biggest problem with the game is the engine followed by the timesink of the story involvement. I thought Tera was bad with the maps it loads as your current zone but ToR is pretty much on par with it, can't even wander outside of a area on the map even though it's open and you'll die if you don't turn back. For it's faults WoW atleast was a seemless world you could go across.

I run a quad w/16g's and finished one mission off where you had to run back through a cavern after a shuttle explosion. Wellllll the explosion goes off and the cavern starts to collapse behind you somewhat. Brought said system to it's knees until all the horribly rendered rocks stopped falling.

71. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 23, 2012, 01:53 OldTimber

They've done this now for 4 seasons, called Clone Wars on the cartoon network. Basically the rendered Whynakin is a better "actor" than was in the last 2 movies ontop of not always focusing on him the stories that branch off are actually good. The clone centric episodes are usually the best.

Prez wrote on May 22, 2012, 20:44:
Okay, I'm gonna get creamed for this, but I didn't think the last one was that bad. It actually set up the original trilogy nicley. Take away the goofy shit like that crap with R2-D2 and replace whiney Christiansen with someone who could actually act and you may have had something. You have to admit the opening space battle scene was pretty sweet, right?

Right??

Helllllloooooo?

70. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 23:52 Wolfen

deqer wrote on May 22, 2012, 21:32:
Wolfen wrote on May 22, 2012, 21:21:
It's his site, and
ya ya...

"my site, my rules" blah blah.

if the original poster really wants to know
it's not so much about that, but rather it's the fact that you'd save a bunch of speculated discussion by just saying the reason rather keeping it silent and thus everyone wasting time wondering or criticizing the choice that Blue made to delete it.

Like stated before, Blue is pretty relaxed about that stuff usually. So if you got a post nuked, it's generally a pretty legitimate reason. It's your own faults for "wasting time" speculating on why.

69. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 23:22 Nucas

deqer wrote on May 22, 2012, 21:32:
It's his site, and
ya ya...

"my site, my rules" blah blah.

if the original poster really wants to know
it's not so much about that, but rather it's the fact that you'd save a bunch of speculated discussion by just saying the reason rather keeping it silent and thus everyone wasting time wondering or criticizing the choice that Blue made to delete it.

i've observed that blue is so mild in applying the hammer that i think only new people must bother with speculating when they see his intervention. myself, i just think "that guy must have really been a fuck up."

68. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 23:12 Asmo

D_K_night wrote on May 22, 2012, 22:27:
Then your SWTOR server admin buddy must have seen the writing on the wall WAAAY before any of us. He sees for himself the abysmal server load and knows the end is coming...that's the funny thing about us IT staff lurking in the back there. When infrastructure starts to sit idle...that uneasy feeling creeps its way in...

But regarding the game...sigh...it's all true. It was just Star Wars skin on top of some MMO engine which was never designed nor intended to be used as such. Remember the developer diaries where the network code wasn't even done when Bioware bought/licensed the engine?

The huge sharding...the stiff system requirements...the ability delay...the list just went on which ultimately added up to a sour experience. I gave this game an honest go for the first 30 days granted by the retail box. Sorry Bioware - but the game truly wasn't that good.

Yeah, he's been keeping an eye out for opportunities for some months now. It's sad that they had so many opportunities to excel (imo an updated SWG original game + the space combat + good questing/storyline, which was almost completely absent from the original SWG, might have been a goer) but managed to turn out more pedestrian pap in the long run.

67. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 22:27 D_K_night

Asmo wrote on May 22, 2012, 22:04:
Smellfinger wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:53:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:47:
Nothing like hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work just because you don't like a product.

Yeah, he should be hoping that they keep their jobs so they can continue to produce garbage. The video game industry is in desperate need of MMO shovelware like The Old Republic.

Yep, that's the point.

I don't like playing COD these days because it's the same old recycled junk, but some people like it (a lot of people), so we keep getting more of it.

SWTOR is reaping what it sowed. I know one of their server admins and he's probably going to be out of work because of this. I don't like seeing my friends unemployed, particularly since he had zero control over the final product, but I don't want to see more crapware passed out as AAA products.

It's a natural evolution, adapt or die. It's unfortunate that people get caught up in this but tbh most BW employees should have seen the writing on the wall in late Feb.

Then your SWTOR server admin buddy must have seen the writing on the wall WAAAY before any of us. He sees for himself the abysmal server load and knows the end is coming...that's the funny thing about us IT staff lurking in the back there. When infrastructure starts to sit idle...that uneasy feeling creeps its way in...

But regarding the game...sigh...it's all true. It was just Star Wars skin on top of some MMO engine which was never designed nor intended to be used as such. Remember the developer diaries where the network code wasn't even done when Bioware bought/licensed the engine?

The huge sharding...the stiff system requirements...the ability delay...the list just went on which ultimately added up to a sour experience. I gave this game an honest go for the first 30 days granted by the retail box. Sorry Bioware - but the game truly wasn't that good.

66. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 22:27 Kitkoan

Fantaz wrote on May 22, 2012, 22:23:
Game sales not doing well... yepp, time to fire everyone.

Easier and cheaper in the short run then to invest and fix the problems.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

65. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 22:23 Fantaz

Game sales not doing well... yepp, time to fire everyone.  

64. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 22:04 Asmo

Smellfinger wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:53:
Nothing like hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work just because you don't like a product.

Yeah, he should be hoping that they keep their jobs so they can continue to produce garbage. The video game industry is in desperate need of MMO shovelware like The Old Republic.

Yep, that's the point.

I don't like playing COD these days because it's the same old recycled junk, but some people like it (a lot of people), so we keep getting more of it.

SWTOR is reaping what it sowed. I know one of their server admins and he's probably going to be out of work because of this. I don't like seeing my friends unemployed, particularly since he had zero control over the final product, but I don't want to see more crapware passed out as AAA products.

It's a natural evolution, adapt or die. It's unfortunate that people get caught up in this but tbh most BW employees should have seen the writing on the wall in late Feb.

63. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 21:59 Kitkoan

crypto wrote on May 22, 2012, 21:47:
sauron wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:11:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:03:
To say the least. Nothing like hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work just because you don't like a product. Maybe one day he'll get laid off and a bunch of people will laugh at him for it. It'd be fitting.

Maybe next year when you enter elementary school your reading comprehension will improve. Because I said nothing about "hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work", ya know? I'm hoping for this game to fail just like it deserves. The people can fuck off and go work on some other EA/BioWare piece of shit game... I don't give a fuck. I ain't hoping for anything in that regard.

Also, reported this post for lack of intelligence.

I'm quoting your quoted quote to make a point about the point of your reporting... was pointless.

How dare you bring facts and logic into this...

62. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 21:47 crypto

sauron wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:11:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:03:
To say the least. Nothing like hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work just because you don't like a product. Maybe one day he'll get laid off and a bunch of people will laugh at him for it. It'd be fitting.

Maybe next year when you enter elementary school your reading comprehension will improve. Because I said nothing about "hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work", ya know? I'm hoping for this game to fail just like it deserves. The people can fuck off and go work on some other EA/BioWare piece of shit game... I don't give a fuck. I ain't hoping for anything in that regard.

Also, reported this post for lack of intelligence.

I'm quoting your quoted quote to make a point about the point of your reporting... was pointless.

61. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 21:44 Slashman

Beelzebud wrote on May 22, 2012, 21:34:
I really had high hopes for this game. Bioware's MMO and Star Wars seemed like a no-brainer.

And right there is the problem. It had no brain behind it at all. Bioware seriously thought that taking the piss-poor and hideously boring, standard skill click MMO combat, wrapping it in the Star Wars IP and adding the Bioware RPG story-telling would be a huge winner.

No doubt its the same stupidity that the Elder Scrolls MMO will attempt. Its the same lukewarm gameplay that WoW did and no, I never thought WoW was in the least bit impressive even in its prime(but it had Blizzard behind it so it had to do well).

Only a complete moron would still think that you could challenge and/or surpass WoW's success by copying it. Even adding a single player story into the game wouldn't change what it is...standard fare MMO grind-fluff.

60. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 21:44 mlw

Prez wrote on May 22, 2012, 20:44:
Okay, I'm gonna get creamed for this, but I didn't think the last one was that bad. It actually set up the original trilogy nicley. Take away the goofy shit like that crap with R2-D2 and replace whiney Christiansen with someone who could actually act and you may have had something. You have to admit the opening space battle scene was pretty sweet, right?
Right??
Helllllloooooo?

Episode 3 is actually my favorite of all 6. Well except for every scene Natalie Portman was in.

I thought Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine/Sidious did a fantastic job in every movie he appeared in. Big Emperor Palpatine fan here. Probably another reason for Episode 3 being my favorite.

59. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 21:42 Kitkoan

Sepharo wrote on May 22, 2012, 21:37:
Please nobody ever report something aimed at me. I prefer to leave that stuff up. Go on tell me how fat my face is! It will make you look ultra smart!

Haw haw, your face is fat... Mad

58. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 21:37 Sepharo

I don't really think Blue has to explain himself. It's his site, and if the original poster really wants to know why I am betting he could email Blue and ask why it was deleted. Had it happen to me once and I got an honest answer. -shrugs-

He doesn't need to because the answer is right in the thread. Sauron reported the post and it contained a personal insult so it was removed. The shitty part was that it wasn't an insult aimed at Sauron and it was mild as fuck.

Please nobody ever report something aimed at me. I prefer to leave that stuff up. Go on tell me how fat my face is! It will make you look ultra smart!

57. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 21:34 Beelzebud

I really had high hopes for this game. Bioware's MMO and Star Wars seemed like a no-brainer.

Then they just did a copy/paste re-skin of WoW, except without a lot of the convenience features WoW has amassed over the years.

If companies want to keep selling pay-to-play MMO's they really need to start coming up with some new game play mechanics and concepts. I mean a Star Wars MMO with no multiplayer space battles? How tone deaf can you get?

Before WoW made a trillion dollars most MMO teams created their own combat systems, etc. Now it's all the same cookie cutter skill trees, etc.

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo