Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has word of staff cuts at BioWare Austin, the development studio behind Star Wars: The Old Republic, the sci-fi MMORPG. The update from Doctors Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka does not say why this is happening, but does that this about the future: "Rest assured that we remain dedicated to delivering a high quality service in SWTOR to you, our fans, and we will continue to support and grow Star Wars: The Old Republic over the weeks, months and years to come." VentureBeat has a follow-up comment on this from Electronic Arts:

BioWare has restructured its studio in Austin today. Of the employees impacted, some will be able to join other projects within EA, others will leave the company. These are very difficult decisions, but it allows us to focus our staff to maintain and grow Star Wars: The Old Republic.

BioWare Austin remains a large and important part of BioWare and EA, working with other studios around the world to continue to deliver a high-quality service and exciting new content for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

36. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 20:04 Prez

I must just be an asshole because I don't really see anything wrong with CJ's original post that has got everyone's panties in a twist. Sure, he seems to be taking an inordinate amount of pleasure in someone's failure, but considering how much cash was thrown at it, how bad it turned out, and that it replaced the game most people seem to have actually wanted (KotoR 3), even that is somewhat understandable. I'm not going to start the "CJ Parker: Troll Extraordinaire Fan Club" or anything, but I am kind of in agreement with him.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:58 Dirwulf

CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 17:59:
It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to see this game fail. Not that I have any real hope they'll do the right thing and start working on an OT MMO with space combat (you know, like SWG done right) but just to see this dumb WoW clone Old Republic fucker fail is extremely satisfactory. Seems like a slow and painful death, too, which makes it even more fun. Come on. Crumble some more, bitch...

You must have a sick and pathetic life to get off so much on others misery.

34. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:57 ASeven

As for developers losing their jobs, it's always terrible to lose a job but game developers do have a bit more options than the average job, they can either get employed by a publisher or easily go indie, made even more easy by avenues like Kickstarter. Doesn't mean they'll succeed or get a revenue but at least the chance of going indie is there, and the chance of a good idea making it to the top sellers list.

Game developers do have a few more options in case of unemployment.

33. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:54 ASeven

CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:45:
ASeven wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:30:
Well, this is pretty much it. $300M down the drain with no significant ROI at all...

Wot? The game sold roughly two million copies.

- 2 million x US$ 40 (conservative ASP) = US$ 80 million
- On average 1.5 million subs since release = 1.5 million x US$ 13 (conservative average sub price) = ~US$ 20 million per month x 6 = US$ 120 million

So we're already at around US$ 200 million just from game sales and subs alone (no merchandise, digital goods or anything else included). Subs are dropping slowly and they are now supposed to be around the 1.2 million mark. Let us assume another six months at an average of 1 million subs then that's another US$ 80 million for them and they might be making quite a bit of extra in case there is DLC or expansions released in the meantime.
They'll get their ROI in due time. No game of this caliber will fully recoup the investment within a year's time. It will take a little longer but eventually they will (unfortunately) be making phat profits from this POS.

You are thinking in terms of revenue only. Remember that there are costs and with a MMORPG those costs tend to be huge, from paying personnel to paying the server structure, etc. I'm willing to bet that 60% to 80% of those revenues were eaten away by the fixed and variable costs.

32. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:53 Smellfinger

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:47:
Nothing like hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work just because you don't like a product.

Yeah, he should be hoping that they keep their jobs so they can continue to produce garbage. The video game industry is in desperate need of MMO shovelware like The Old Republic.

31. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:52 Prez

I don't wish anyone lose their job (okay, aside from my boss. And his boss. And...), but I find the failure of this game very encouraging. It helps that the game is absolutely terrible; aside from the largely excellent voice work and music there are no redeeming qualities for this game. The graphics are bad, the performance worse, the load times are epic, the combat is painfully dull, the space combat is laughable, and the level of immersion is zero. They maybe staples of MMO's in general, but "mobs" and "aggro zones" have got to be the most contrived and ridiculous game mechanics ever created, and they reach new levels of stupidity here. The Rebellion stories (I didn't play the Sith much) are weak even by videogame standards. There is no way to enjoy oneself even playing it as a singleplayer game, because the completely tired and endlessly annoying MMO mechanics shine through everywhere, killing the fun (unless you groove to tons of useless loot drops, ridiculously limited stats on "epic" loot, 3 different kinds of currencies and incredibly tedious grinding for level advancement). Honestly, even as free-to-play this game would cost too much, since you will never get the time you waste grinding through boredom back.

Maybe now Bioware will be allowed to make a real sequel to the original KotoR, since the sequel was a rush job.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2012, 19:59.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:50 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:45:
- On average 1.5 million subs since release = 1.5 million x US$ 13 (conservative average sub price) = ~US$ 20 million per month x 6 = US$ 120 million

So we're already at around US$ 200 million just from game sales and subs alone (no merchandise, digital goods or anything else included). Subs are dropping slowly and they are now supposed to be around the 1.2 million mark. Let us assume another six months at an average of 1 million subs then that's another US$ 80 million for them and they might be making quite a bit of extra in case there is DLC or expansions released in the meantime.
They'll get their ROI in due time. No game of this caliber will fully recoup the investment within a year's time. It will take a little longer but eventually they will (unfortunately) be making phat profits from this POS.

It fails because what you wrote is not what investors want to hear. Face it we are enslaved by them and why most of the shit is a mess.

29. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:48 HorrorScope

wtf_man wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:40:
Bioware was dead to me after DA2. I never got into the ME series...

We're all different, they've been dead to me for a long time and DA2 was actually one I enjoyed, was at least a good action rpg.

28. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:46 HorrorScope

Graham wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:11:
CJ, could you point us to something you've done in the world that's worth anyone paying attention to?

He probably can't, but the same could probably be said about many on the SWKTOR team.

Face it, it's the internet, this is what you get. -Eor (from Winney the Pooh)

27. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:45 CJ_Parker

Well, this is pretty much it. $300M down the drain with no significant ROI at all...

Wot? The game sold roughly two million copies.

26. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:40 wtf_man

Well, this is pretty much it. $300M down the drain with no significant ROI at all and now the people suffer.

Could this be the beginning of the end for Bioware? If DA3 doesn't sell well I can see BW folding and joining the big graveyard of developer houses EA chewed and spit.

Bioware was dead to me after DA2. I never got into the ME series... bought ME1 on steam, and it just didn't grab me for some reason, so I never bought ME2 or ME3.

Although they say they have learned from DA2... I tend to doubt it... we'll see though.

And, yes, I think if DA3 fails, EA will kill Bioware off. They already have for the most part.... just the name still exists... but that will go next.

25. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:36 Steelcamp

I still love the game  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

24. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:30 ASeven

Well, this is pretty much it. $300M down the drain with no significant ROI at all and now the people suffer.

Could this be the beginning of the end for Bioware? If DA3 doesn't sell well I can see BW folding and joining the big graveyard of developer houses EA chewed and spit.

Should be interesting to see how EA will now try to explain to Lucasarts how a MMORPG that they assured would be the greatest thing ever is now close to being irrelevant 6 months on after release.

23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:30 sauron

RollinThundr wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:27:
sauron wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:20:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:18:
Is this really the best you got? Come on, at least try.

Sure, I could do that as well but why bother? It would just end up with a red *removed* text thanks to you NAZI GESTAPO forum police.

Go ahead. I dare you. If you don't, I'll assume you can't.

Also, be entertaining, not profane. The latter is not a substitute for the former.

Game on, baby. Give it your best shot. Also, try to use words of more than one syllable.

Jesus Christ sauron what are you 12?

College professor, actually, but baiting trolls is ageless and timeless. It's the sport of kings.

Kittens!

22. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:29 CJ_Parker

Also, be entertaining, not profane. The latter is not a substitute for the former.

Game on, baby. Give it your best shot. Also, try to use words of more than one syllable.

Not a chance. You know, your neurons might explode and suck up all the vacuum inside your head so it implodes and creates this black hole that will swallow us all. I know I can be a real asshole but I wouldn't want to be responsible for the end of the universe so no thanks!

21. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:27 RollinThundr

CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:18:

Sure, I could do that as well but why bother? It would just end up with a red *removed* text thanks to you NAZI GESTAPO forum police.

Jesus Christ sauron what are you 12?

20. removed May 22, 2012, 19:20 sauron

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 22, 2012, 20:32.

Kittens!

19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:18 CJ_Parker

Graham wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:11:
CJ, could you point us to something you've done in the world that's worth anyone paying attention to?

Sure, I could do that but why? It'd be like casting pearls before the unwashed swine that y'all are .

18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:16 deqer

So, you hired a bunch of guys, milked them for your quick-rich-mmo scheme, built you editors for you to maintain it, then when your scheme fails you chuck out the guys who made it for you and assign a bunch of randoms to maintain it. Ya, fuck you.

Nothing like hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work just because you don't like a product.
If those people are the the people that either 1) recommended the quick-rich-mmo scheme, or 2) agreed to someone else recommending it just so they could keep their jobs,
then yeah, let us hope they lose their jobs. They were going to lose their jobs anyways if they disagreed with the idea/project, because then they're be no project to work on and thus lay offs.

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:11 Graham

CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:03:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:47:
To say the least. Nothing like hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work just because you don't like a product. Maybe one day he'll get laid off and a bunch of people will laugh at him for it. It'd be fitting.

Maybe next year when you enter elementary school your reading comprehension will improve. Because I said nothing about "hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work", ya know? I'm hoping for this game to fail just like it deserves. The people can fuck off and go work on some other EA/BioWare piece of shit game... I don't give a fuck. I ain't hoping for anything in that regard.

I'm asking honestly. Can you please direct us to some creative work that you've contributed to? Some project you've worked on that's worthy of praise? Anything of value at all?

I'm not implying you haven't. I'm just curious to see if you've brought anything good into the world, or if this negativity is all you've got.

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo