Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October

2K Games announces a release date for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Firaxis' upcoming continuation of this counter-UFO strategy series. The game is expected in North America on October 9, 2012 and internationally three days later on October 12th. The announcement is accompanied by a new deep dive trailer, and includes details on two different special editions:

2K Games announced today that XCOM®: Enemy Unknown, the highly anticipated action-strategy game from Firaxis Games, will be available for purchase in North America on October 9, 2012 and internationally on October 12, 2012 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC. Additionally, pre-ordering XCOM: Enemy Unknown from participating retailers guarantees receiving the Elite Soldier Pack, a launch bonus offering top-of-the-line soldier customization features that will only be available for a limited time. There will also be a special edition of XCOM: Enemy Unknown available exclusively for PC that contains a variety of unique XCOM items.

“As we reimagine XCOM, one of our goals is to evolve the experience while recognizing what made X-COM one of the greatest PC games to date,” said Sarah Anderson, senior vice president of marketing for 2K. “It’s important to create an experience that is appealing to both existing fans and newcomers to the world of XCOM, which is what we’re doing with XCOM: Enemy Unknown.”

Gamers looking for the ultimate XCOM: Enemy Unknown experience can pre-order the game to guarantee the launch bonus of the Elite Soldier Pack. The Elite Soldier Pack will provide the ultimate tools for soldier customization in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, including:

• Classic X-COM Soldier: Players will instantly receive a new recruit in their barracks inspired by the original X-COM: UFO Defense. The iconic soldier with the blonde, flattop hairstyle will return in his full glory, modernized with the rest of the XCOM universe.
        • Soldier Deco packs: Players can customize their soldier with several aesthetic upgrades to armor suits, including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits.
        • Complete color customization: A variety of colors and tints for all armor sets in the game allow players complete control to customize their squad’s look.

Available from participating retailers at launch, a special edition of XCOM: Enemy Unknown (MSRP $59.99) will contain a copy of the game for PC and a number of unique XCOM items, including an art book; fold-out poster of the XCOM headquarters; XCOM insignia patch; and a collection of digital bonus assets such as desktop wallpaper, soundtrack and more. A standard edition of XCOM: Enemy Unknown for PC will be available exclusively via 2K’s digital distribution partners.

“XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the answer to the 15-year craving that X-COM fans have been experiencing,” said Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games. “We wanted to find a special way to honor these die-hard fans, and the special edition and Elite Soldier Pack are just the way to do it.”

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 23, 2012, 08:37 InBlack

One thing keeps nagging me through, from the what Ive seen of the game so far.

The soldier's suits/powerarmor. What. The. Fuck?

Why dont they start out with regular uniforms +helmets, or at least regular bodyarmour used by most modern armies today?

Shouldnt we have to research and upgrade TO the powerarmor? If they look this badass at the begining of the game what do they look like towards the end?

I keep imagining huge oversized spacemarines as my endgame troops, but they are already well oversized and spacemariny....

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 23, 2012, 08:10 InBlack

Jerykk wrote on May 22, 2012, 20:41:
I'm surprised that 2K is releasing this as a full-priced retail product. That's not a knock on the game's quality but usually publishers only fund niche games if they're downloadable titles.

Also, I assume this will use Steamworks? I think all of 2K's PC games use Steamworks now.

Wierder things have happend, im looking forward to this.

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 20:41 Jerykk

I'm surprised that 2K is releasing this as a full-priced retail product. That's not a knock on the game's quality but usually publishers only fund niche games if they're downloadable titles.

Also, I assume this will use Steamworks? I think all of 2K's PC games use Steamworks now.

17. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 20:15 Prez

Whoever thinks that you couldn't lose in the original is invited to next month's United Nations meeting in my last game session. Pay no attention to the many UFO's hoverning menacingly in the sky. Oh, and don't worry that the entire UN Council has been replaced by Gray's with Muton bodygaurds.

Of course you can lose. Try winning a game where both the US and Russia make a secret pact with the aliens because you didn't clear out the alien bases from their country or defend them well enough on Terror missions...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 20:13 Sepharo

I'm buying it just on the ant-colony base alone. That looks pretty damn neat

Never played the XCOMs and the closest thing I've played to this is probably Silent Storm. AAA games like this outside of the usual genres are rare, I won't be passing on it unless some serious issues emerge at launch.

15. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 19:35 Dev

Slashman wrote on May 22, 2012, 16:30:
Apparently if it doesn't have time units, its a consolized, dumbed-down experience.

The thing is that none of what they have shown of the game in terms of mechanics would be considered dumbed down if it was in another game, but if its X-Com, you're not having fun if it isn't exactly like the original.
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'll wait until its closer to decide if I'll pre-order or wait for reviews.

Edit: The base from this video looks awesome.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2012, 19:49.

14. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 16:30 Slashman

Apparently if it doesn't have time units, its a consolized, dumbed-down experience.

The thing is that none of what they have shown of the game in terms of mechanics would be considered dumbed down if it was in another game, but if its X-Com, you're not having fun if it isn't exactly like the original.

Someone in their forums even wanted them to not update the look of the Muton because the original 'unitard' look was authentic and scary.

13. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 16:25 Beamer

Creston wrote on May 22, 2012, 16:08:
space captain wrote on May 22, 2012, 16:06:
reminds me of the whole "i liked them before they sold out!!" bullshit (that especially plagued the 90s), with people trying so hard to be "hardcore" and "street"

anyone care to explain just exactly why xenonauts is going to be so much better than this remake?

Who knows. Every video and every interview I've seen and read about this game has made the game appear like a lot of fun.

Creston

I think X-COM is guaranteed to be good. How good? Can't say, but it'll be good.

Xenonauts looks like one of those things where it'll either be something I adore and play forever or something I despise and uninstall after 10 minutes of disgust. Doesn't seem like it has room for grey area.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 16:08 Creston

space captain wrote on May 22, 2012, 16:06:
reminds me of the whole "i liked them before they sold out!!" bullshit (that especially plagued the 90s), with people trying so hard to be "hardcore" and "street"

anyone care to explain just exactly why xenonauts is going to be so much better than this remake?

Who knows. Every video and every interview I've seen and read about this game has made the game appear like a lot of fun.

Creston

11. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 16:08 Prez

That was a pretty quick turnaround from announcement to release... I hope this game rocks. Me, I gobble up everything that looks, plays, or smells like X-Com, so this and Xenonauts are no-brainers.

It's time that publishers adapted to the market, instead of sticking blindly to tradition.

Well the games industry is light years ahead of cable and TV companies in that regard...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 16:06 edgar

Bah, at least link the Kickstart if you're going to link the demo *from* the kickstart:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/69341191/xenonauts

I keep hoping Blue will mention this one ... maybe I just missed it.

9. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 16:06 space captain

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 15:56 ASeven

Xenonauts demo for those who haven't played it yet.  

7. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 15:40 Slashman

Elim wrote on May 22, 2012, 15:22:
Dude, not even a discussion. Xenonauts.

Shiny graphics and dumbed down mechanics for consoles casual gamers vs a good indie XCOM clone, where you can actually fuck up and lose.

I didn't get the impression that you couldn't lose in this game. It seems like you lose guys in the tutorial missions even.

Also, unless they are flat out lying, the developers are saying that you can fail at the overall game.

In any event, just like the original, you can save and reload...so I'd say that its almost a moot point. In one of the interviews, a developers says that you were a 'real man' if you let your guys die in the original X-Com and carried on. But there wasn't a mandatory hardcore mode where you couldn't reload a save. It was all up to you.

6. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 15:22 Elim

Dude, not even a discussion. Xenonauts.

Shiny graphics and dumbed down mechanics for consoles casual gamers vs a good indie XCOM clone, where you can actually fuck up and lose.

5. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 15:08 Cutter

This is a wait-and-see/sale item for me anyway.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

4. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 14:58 Creston

I'm pretty excited about this. For those who want the classic Xcom, they can play xenonauts, but this looks like a cool remake.

And a special edition with all those goodies for just 10 bucks more? Impressive.

Creston

3. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 12:11 ASeven

Hmmm... Xenonauts or this....

My bet is on Xenonauts. I found Civ V underwhelming so I'm not betting on them making good of this classic, at least not as good as Xenonauts will be.

2. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 11:44 lochwinnoch78

Agreed.

Amazon haven't listed it yet (UK) - I was that excited I wanted to add it to my wish list immediately

Anyways, dang excited about this reboot. Loving what I've seen (and the other XCom game, the FPS time-based one) and loved the originally, although it might have been the game I've been worst at in my entire life

1. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown in October May 22, 2012, 11:36 theyarecomingforyou

We live in a global economy with instant-access digital distribution, yet publishers still persist in delaying the international release of games by several days for the benefit of B&M stores. It's completely unnecessary. Even with physical sales most purchases are made online at sites like Amazon, who will post it out whenever they are allowed.

It's time that publishers adapted to the market, instead of sticking blindly to tradition.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo