Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New DayZ Mod

The DayZ Mod Website now offers a new version of this mod for Arma II that's caused such a sensation. This tweet mentions the update, which brings the mod to version 1.5.8.2. Thanks Shok.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: New DayZ Mod May 24, 2012, 00:24 eRe4s3r

ah.. /me slaps himself awake

3 would obviously be just as stupid as 6 ,p

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 23:10 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on May 23, 2012, 22:11:
As this would create a cycle of day/night that is not stuck to the real world day night cycle this is the only solution. You simply have to desync the game time from real time. And only way to do that, is 11, 7, 5, 3 hours per day.
24/3=8

43. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 22:11 eRe4s3r

6 hours would be obviously stupid (seeing that if you play 2 hours each day, at the same time, you'd always see the same in-game time passing.

What they need to do is make day 7 hours or 5 hours, not 6. That way, each day you'd join in a different server time if you join the same time.

As this would create a cycle of day/night that is not stuck to the real world day night cycle this is the only solution. You simply have to desync the game time from real time. And only way to do that, is 11, 7, 5, 3 hours per day.

This comment was edited on May 24, 2012, 00:25.

42. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 11:33 Orogogus

zombiefan wrote on May 23, 2012, 07:38:
LittleMe wrote on May 23, 2012, 00:18:
zombiefan wrote on May 22, 2012, 22:58:
Better yet, just get rid of the ridiculous "real-time" day and night cycles and institute a 60 minute day/night arc. That way you can at least experience each through a play session.

60 minute days? Yuck. 6-9 hours would be nice though. That was one of the best changes to Fallout 3 and New Vegas that I did was increase the timescale 1/3rd real time.

BTW, there are servers running alternate time settings so you can play in daylight at night. As Shok said "just looked for US servers with "UTC +4" in their names."

Well, whatever. Just so long as its not the real time day/night cycle they have going now.

I can see the point of your 60 minute suggestion. What good does 6-9 hours do unless your gaming sessions are 12 hours long, and you play every day?

41. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 09:09 Dmitri_M

Dev wrote on May 22, 2012, 22:19:
J wrote on May 22, 2012, 16:31:
Dev wrote on May 22, 2012, 16:07:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UV8RRE/
Amazon still has for $15
I wonder if that would work for somebody in Britland? If so then it's half as expensive as the cheapest one I can find here.
Try it and see. I can order from other country amazon sites (like I've ordered stuff from amazon.de) so I would imagine you could too.
It works you just need to lie about your physical address. I routinely make purchases off Amazon.com using an American address..even though I actually live In The Heart of Darkness. They don't verify the address against your credit card.

40. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 09:05 J

gray wrote on May 23, 2012, 07:55:
Town names: They are on the map and also signposted on the roads and on entering/leaving every town.

Alliances: It's upto you to forge relationships, the game will not do anything for you.

Safe storage: You can store items in tents, these can be raided so make sure they are well hidden.

It's not supposed to be a console game with flashing markers all over. It's supposed to reflect the harsh reality of a post-apocalyptic world, a simulation hence the use of Arma2 as the platform.
Town names: That was not evident in the three YouTube videos I watched. Please show me some evidence of that.

Alliances: Then there's more to lose than to gain.

Safe Storage: How do you hide items well? Can you create your own stashes wherever you see fit? If so, perhaps woodland would be better?

I don't want consolitis, but if I have a map then I'd like to be able to mark it with things I find useful. The maps I saw in the YouTube videos had only terrain to work with, not the things you were mentioning.

(I do actually get the jist of it, but cheers for talking down to me. I hope you felt superior for it.)

39. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 08:54 Dmitri_M

PHJF wrote on May 22, 2012, 12:13:
Patch broke my game again.

This was the worst $15 I've ever wasted.

Are you one of those hysterical PC gamers who frets and bangs his keyboard when an app takes 5 seconds longer to load than you expected.

You sure come off that way in all your posts.

38. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 08:05 gray

I've come to prefer the night;

- The servers have no queues.
- Safer, in terms of both Zeds and Bandits due to visibility.
- Lots of loot around.
- Fantastic atmosphere.
- Darkness easily negated by using..... a torch, dum dum duuum :-).

37. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 08:01 Bumpy

Ha, tried to connect to any of the UTC+4 servers last night. Could never get in, they were ALL full the whole night.

I think I'll shelf this game till they fix the time issue.

36. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 07:55 gray

J wrote on May 23, 2012, 05:15:
I think what bugs me about it are these things:

Town names: You get a brief bit of text when you start, apparently, but beyond that it's hard to figure out where you are. You cannot add markers to a map when you get one. Maps don't show town names. Sign posts are in Russian? I suppose you could take a screenshot of the map and edit in a paint package, but that's still outside of the game which detracts from emersion.

Alliances: How can you trust anybody? You can't. Whilst it adds to the paranoia and atmosphere, it makes it hard to create a community when it just takes one nutter (or one moment of madness) to lose everything and then spawn somewhere totally different with a new life. With the slow build-up, short life expectancy, and easy death, what are the benefits of working together? It's like having a nuclear creeper in minecraft who destroys the whole world when it blows up.

Safe storage: Is there any way to hide/lock away valuables so there's at least some chance of salvage should something go awry? I've not seen anything which suggests that's possible. It wouldn't be easy to get back to the area where the treasure is hidden, but it wouldn't be a total wipeout if you can get back there.

Team chat: Can you form teams and then send messages to only them?

Town names: They are on the map and also signposted on the roads and on entering/leaving every town.

Alliances: It's upto you to forge relationships, the game will not do anything for you.

Safe storage: You can store items in tents, these can be raided so make sure they are well hidden.

It's not supposed to be a console game with flashing markers all over. It's supposed to reflect the harsh reality of a post-apocalyptic world, a simulation hence the use of Arma2 as the platform.

35. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 07:38 zombiefan

LittleMe wrote on May 23, 2012, 00:18:
Better yet, just get rid of the ridiculous "real-time" day and night cycles and institute a 60 minute day/night arc. That way you can at least experience each through a play session.

60 minute days? Yuck. 6-9 hours would be nice though. That was one of the best changes to Fallout 3 and New Vegas that I did was increase the timescale 1/3rd real time.

BTW, there are servers running alternate time settings so you can play in daylight at night. As Shok said "just looked for US servers with "UTC +4" in their names."

Well, whatever. Just so long as its not the real time day/night cycle they have going now.

34. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 05:15 J

I think what bugs me about it are these things:

Town names: You get a brief bit of text when you start, apparently, but beyond that it's hard to figure out where you are. You cannot add markers to a map when you get one. Maps don't show town names. Sign posts are in Russian? I suppose you could take a screenshot of the map and edit in a paint package, but that's still outside of the game which detracts from emersion.

Alliances: How can you trust anybody? You can't. Whilst it adds to the paranoia and atmosphere, it makes it hard to create a community when it just takes one nutter (or one moment of madness) to lose everything and then spawn somewhere totally different with a new life. With the slow build-up, short life expectancy, and easy death, what are the benefits of working together? It's like having a nuclear creeper in minecraft who destroys the whole world when it blows up.

Safe storage: Is there any way to hide/lock away valuables so there's at least some chance of salvage should something go awry? I've not seen anything which suggests that's possible. It wouldn't be easy to get back to the area where the treasure is hidden, but it wouldn't be a total wipeout if you can get back there.

Team chat: Can you form teams and then send messages to only them?

33. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 02:49 J

Dev wrote on May 22, 2012, 22:19:
Amazon still has for $15
I wonder if that would work for somebody in Britland? If so then it's half as expensive as the cheapest one I can find here.
Try it and see. I can order from other country amazon sites (like I've ordered stuff from amazon.de) so I would imagine you could too.
I'll just wait and see how it evolves. I don't feel any compulsion to play it.

32. Re: New DayZ Mod May 23, 2012, 00:18 LittleMe

Perpetual debt is slavery.

31. Re: New DayZ Mod May 22, 2012, 22:58 zombiefan

Bumpy wrote on May 22, 2012, 22:31:

Only thing I currently really dislike is the real time factor. I game only at night and hence all my local servers are in game nighttime also. They need to allow dedicated servers to shift time around.

30. Re: New DayZ Mod May 22, 2012, 22:31 Bumpy

I find this mod fantastic for alpha stage. In a year this game will really shine, plus BI stated they will be helping the mod out so it will definite be supported well.

Only thing I currently really dislike is the real time factor. I game only at night and hence all my local servers are in game nighttime also. They need to allow dedicated servers to shift time around.

29. Re: New DayZ Mod May 22, 2012, 22:31 MrBone

L4D zombies just put this to shame. Perhaps in time they will improve the horrific animations.  

28. Re: New DayZ Mod May 22, 2012, 22:19 Dev

Amazon still has for $15

27. Re: New DayZ Mod May 22, 2012, 20:56 Cutter

mickelobe wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:02:
Now I have to find and carry around antibiotics to deal with this stuff.

I hope they add defecation in the next patch along with toilet paper as an inventory item. If you don't have any after taking a dump you get a discomfort penalty for running around with a shitty ass

Survive long ewnough and you be reknowned as the famous Mr. Poopypants!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: New DayZ Mod May 22, 2012, 19:02 mickelobe

Now I have to find and carry around antibiotics to deal with this stuff.

I hope they add defecation in the next patch along with toilet paper as an inventory item. If you don't have any after taking a dump you get a discomfort penalty for running around with a shitty ass

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo