Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 22:45 Creston

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2012, 15:32:
FB is their own worst enemy with the privacy invasive and overall arrogant attitude toward their customers

What arrogant attitude towars their customers? Facebook is the very SOUL of courtesy to the advertisers. Seriously, it's probably the best place in the world to advertise on.

Oh, you mean their attitude to the PEOPLE who use Facebook? Those are not Facebook's customers. Those are Facebook's PRODUCT.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 21:44 Kitkoan

Prez wrote on May 22, 2012, 20:39:
Understanding that everyone is right in saying that the FB property is hugely overvalued, I still wouldn't have been surprised to see the stock take off. Investors aren't generally known for their impeccable judgement.

No, but judging from the bailouts, they are well rewarded for massive failures.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

22. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 20:39 Prez

Understanding that everyone is right in saying that the FB property is hugely overvalued, I still wouldn't have been surprised to see the stock take off. Investors aren't generally known for their impeccable judgement.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 20:01 Cutter

It's only because of how FB has accepting money that they're going public. Technically speaking they don't have to and it could be avoided. They are choosing to go public.

Facebook and the 500-Person Threshold

The brokerages try to do an end run around this by using vehicles for groups of investors to be counted as one person of record. The SEC wants none of this and for good reason. So, no FB is making a choice here, they're not being forced into anything.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

20. Facebook stock SHOULD struggle... May 22, 2012, 19:56 JohnBirshire

All of these social media sites, no matter how popular, are fads. Facebook will inevitably be the next Myspace. Waste of investment money.  

19. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 19:38 HorrorScope

I wonder how many users are on there but really aren't active? This is like #'s we get from a game "this many registered for something free!". Most don't sign out off Facebook, nor ever use it. I am one of those, they get to still tout me as something that can make an advertiser money. I am nothing in reality, but count the same.  

18. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 19:29 Tom

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=facebook+too+many+shareholders  

17. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 19:01 Kitkoan

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:51:
Beamer wrote on May 22, 2012, 15:36:
Important to remember: Facebook did NOT want to go public. They absolutely hate the idea. They're forced to by financial regulations - they've simply grown too vast to not be a public company.

So you can't really blame Facebook for this "perversion." Facebook was forced into this by government regulations. They had no interest in raising capital as they have more than enough cash on hand, anyway.

What government regulations force a company to go public when they reach a certain size? Not saying they don't exist, I've just never heard of them.

I'm curious about this too. I've never heard of something like that before. If a company reaches "X" then they must go public?

Anyone know anything about this?

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

16. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 18:51 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on May 22, 2012, 15:36:
Important to remember: Facebook did NOT want to go public. They absolutely hate the idea. They're forced to by financial regulations - they've simply grown too vast to not be a public company.

So you can't really blame Facebook for this "perversion." Facebook was forced into this by government regulations. They had no interest in raising capital as they have more than enough cash on hand, anyway.

What government regulations force a company to go public when they reach a certain size? Not saying they don't exist, I've just never heard of them.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

15. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 17:44 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2012, 15:32:
The stock is still overvalued as is. FB is a service, and how they make money is still pretty convoluted and mercurial.

Wouldn't be surprised if you see FB trying to cut deeper into the games/app aspect of itself as a platform. For all the money Zynga makes off of being on FB, Zynga needs FB to survive. FB doesn't need Zynga and with a few good developers they could make a decent stab at their own integrated game development and pull in more revenue besides just skimming 10% - 20% (I forget the exact numbers) off the top in FB Credits for other apps.

As far as advertising goes, my banner blindness is strong on their web app and I don't even think they have advertising in their smart phone app which, incidentally, is also threatening SMS rates as a messenger and that is bound to ruffle a few feathers. Unless they do another site redesign or build on their advertising in better (more annoying) ways, it is only going to continue to decline as new user growth slows and current user's banner blindness adjusts. As a side note, I don't think their growth is slowing because it isn't a bad service or people are hating FB. It is slowing, in my opinion, because it is reaching saturation levels with the general internet accessible public.

It is an exciting time for the company, no doubt, but they seem to have stalled on the next big step. Are they just going to stay an advertising/data mining machine or do they have plans to try and capitalize on something greater? Now that they are public, we might see some details on what they plan for the future.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2012, 18:50.

14. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 15:36 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 15:32 Cutter

The stock is still overvalued as is. FB is a service, and how they make money is still pretty convoluted and mercurial. Note how GM pulled their FB advertising, they're not the only ones. Word around the campfire is thay this is a growing trend as most advertisers aren't seeing jack on their investments. I like the following comment in particular....

These idiots have no one but themselves to blame. The stock market is SUPPOSED to be a mechanism for companies to raise capital. Instead it has been turned into nothing more or less than a big money making machine that has very little to do with the companies that the stock symbols represent. Like everything financial, it has been perverted by the big players

Couple all of it with the fact that FB is their own worst enemy with the privacy invasive and overall arrogant attitude toward their customers makes me think it does not bode well in the long run. I know for myself and most people I know they're using FB less and less as time goes on. Now we're using it pretty much as a social calendar for an easy way to pass on information about parties and events.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 14:44 Fantaz

So who will buy Facebook? Google or Microsoft?  

11. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 14:43 Beamer

Luke wrote on May 22, 2012, 14:39:
Kastagir wrote on May 22, 2012, 13:08:
Beamer wrote on May 22, 2012, 12:09:
As for the "too many stocks," you mean too many shares, and yes, they increased the number of shares just before the IPO.

"They," meaning the underwriters Morgan Stanley, not only increased the number of shares to be offered, but they did it at the same time they increased the IPO price. It's no surprise to anyone that this hugely over-valued stock is suffering. As for the technology behind Facebook, it's not all that innovative by today's standards, at least as anything other than a medium for advertisers.

technology behind Facebook !! very simple its one big spyware , and that fishhead to zuckermani is getting rich by SELLING your data i just can't believe peps say "yes you may" Clown 's

Yeah, but you get something back. For free.

Damn near anything free on the internet does this. Google, for one.
Heck, even Blues. You don't think his ad network is doing any data mining at all and using that to sell back to their clients?

-------------

10. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 14:39 Luke

Kastagir wrote on May 22, 2012, 13:08:
As for the "too many stocks," you mean too many shares, and yes, they increased the number of shares just before the IPO.

"They," meaning the underwriters Morgan Stanley, not only increased the number of shares to be offered, but they did it at the same time they increased the IPO price. It's no surprise to anyone that this hugely over-valued stock is suffering. As for the technology behind Facebook, it's not all that innovative by today's standards, at least as anything other than a medium for advertisers.

technology behind Facebook !! very simple its one big spyware , and that fishhead to zuckermani is getting rich by SELLING your data i just can't believe peps say "yes you may" Clown 's

9. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 14:31 Beamer

Silicon Avatar wrote on May 22, 2012, 14:14:
Facebook seems like a short term investment and it seems really over-valued for what it is. Didn't anyone learn anything from Myspace? People switch social networking sites like tissue paper.

Well, Facebook has become pretty well entrenched as a standard, and people that aren't huge internet people think it will be here forever. In truth, people like us have been claiming it would die ever since our grandmothers friended us, and years later it's still growing.

But growing slower.

And yeah, it was overvalued so people could say it was a hundred billion dollar company. I can't imagine Morgan Stanley didn't expect a decline, but I'm thinking they thought the initial hype would carry it 6 months. It didn't even carry 6 hours...

-------------

8. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 14:22 eRe4s3r

ah .. shares... stock language is one of these things I'll never get used to  

7. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 14:14 Silicon Avatar

Facebook seems like a short term investment and it seems really over-valued for what it is. Didn't anyone learn anything from Myspace? People switch social networking sites like tissue paper.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 13:08 Kastagir

5. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 12:09 Beamer

CommunistHamster wrote on May 22, 2012, 12:02:
Here it comes, just like AOL, just like the myspace buyout. There goes the peak, here comes the long decline.

Vastly different circumstances, but I'd assume similar endgame. I've been repeatedly telling people I think this will be remembered as Facebook's peak, because it's really helped bring to light that Facebook is a giant corporation and we're the product (though it doesn't hurt Google much.)

Not sure where people will move next, but they'll find something that seems to value users more than Facebook does (until it grows so big that it doesn't, and people move elsewhere.)

-------------

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo