Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Yeah it's more than a little odd being alone here, or alone with the doggies.... And the Gunnar-man is a little thrown by it as well, as he's utterly devoted to MrsBlue. So basically everyone is a little out of sorts with her out of town. Except Hudson the wonder dog, who is fine as long as I'm here (and there are fresh batteries in the smoke detector).

Lonely Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Robot Unicorn Attack Evolution.
Physics Robbery.
Rolling Home.
Links: Guitar Pee: Toilet For Rockstars.
10 years after The X-Files- Where are they now?
Stories: Former CNN Executive Caught Putting Dog Doo in Neighbor's Mailbox.
Science: Pomegranate juice claims deceptive, US rules.
Chemical exposure influences rat behavior for generations.
Firefly Easter Egg.
Media: Community Goes 8-Bit.
Custom LEGO Marble Maze.
Saddest Claw Machine in New York.
The Funnies: The Bucket List.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2012, 09:23 Yuioup

Community Goes 8-Bit.

16-bit

[EDIT] I stand corrected!

Tomorrow night, the study group goes 8-bit (more like 16-bit, really, but let's leave the nitpicking to Abed).

Respect!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Monitor Troubles May 22, 2012, 23:13 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2012, 21:29:
JIMNMS, you might be able to get a monitor from Costco, and they have a very liberal return policy.

I don't have a Costco near me. All we have in town in Walmart and Office Max. There are three Best Buy's within an hour drive of me, but I already checked their website and didn't see anything that interested me.

I was wrong about Walmart, I was going by the website. When I go to monitors and click the in my store tab, it only shows the 19", but I decided to check anyway and they have a 23" Acer.

I completely forgot about Office Max even though they're next door to Walmart. I just looked at the Office Max website and it shows three monitors available at my local store, but there's no telling if it's accurate. They have a 23" Samsung, 24" AOC, a 23" and 25" HP. The only one of those available locally that has a VESA mount is the AOC. I can't find many reviews on it, but the few I found don't look too great. I need the VESA mount because I use a monitor arm mounted off to the side of my desk which lets the monitor "float" allowing me to use the space under it. I may go to Office Max and check out the HP tomorrow anyway, but if I want to get that ASUS by Friday I need to order it tonight.

Steam Profile

9. Re: Monitor Troubles May 22, 2012, 21:29 jdreyer

JIMNMS, you might be able to get a monitor from Costco, and they have a very liberal return policy.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Monitor Troubles May 22, 2012, 19:06 jimnms

I stayed up late last night looking at more monitors and went to bed undecided. Luckily the monitor eventually came on today, so I've been looking more. I still haven't seen anything else to add to my list, so the Dell and ASUS still top the list so far, however now I'm leaning toward the ASUS.

I found some reviews of the Dell that mention a disturbing flicker from the way the backlight dims using pulse width modulation. There are some videos of it up on YouTube. I read up on it, and PWM is common even on CCFL displays but is more noticeable on LEDs. Either the ASUS doesn't use PWM or it's not noticeable because I couldn't find any mention of it.

I've found more professional reviews of the Dell than the ASUS, and more user reviews for the ASUS than the Dell. The only negative reviews for either come from user reviews at NewEgg, Amazon, etc. The negative reviews for the Dell are consistent, either they don't like the anti-glare coating or the backlight flicker. I'll keep looking and unless something changes my mind I'm going to order the ASUS before I go to bed.

I also did some digging into the symptoms of my monitor's problem and it's most likely due to bad capacitors in the monitors power supply. It looks like a fairly easy fix, so I'm going to give it a try once I get a replacement. I thought about getting the cheapest ~20" monitor from Walmart and returning it if/when I fix mine or get a replacement, but all they have is a 19" 1366x768 in stock.

Steam Profile

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2012, 18:56 jdreyer

I have to agree, Cutter. During the beta weekend, I hated not being able to access SINGLE PLAYER for hours at a time due to Blizzard server errors. Not something I want to deal with. Also, once Blizzard turns off those servers, D3 won't be playable at all. Ever. I still play Diablo 2 on my work laptop, 12 years on.

I'm so glad I got to try both the D3 and TL2 betas. TL2 is much closer to how I expect my games to operate: SP offline, online simple matchmaking, completely stable multiplay, low system specs, etc. My brother and nephew and I have decided to all buy TL2 and play together that instead of D3. Also, those 3 copies of TL2 will cost us the same as 1 copy of D3.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2012, 17:44 Cutter

So I hadn't tried the D3 at peak hours yet and now I see why this is bad. Holy shitballs, my ping is averaging anytwhere from 400-1200! Multiplayer is entirely unplayable and SP is just way silly as well. I think it's safe to say in spite of Blizzard's sales with this so far, it's not something that will be repeated. Now, I'm really glad I haven't bought - nor will buy into - always on DRM.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2012, 17:38 Hoop

Im redecorating the house & everything is covered in sanding dust, it's also cold. Boooo.  

Um .. Behind you...

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2012, 17:08 Root

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2012, 16:45:
Haha good ol' Gunnar-man. What a wuss.

He's a mamma's boy dog!

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2012, 16:45 Cutter

Haha good ol' Gunnar-man. What a wuss.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2012, 16:01 space captain

more like 16-bit, but whatever  
Go forth, and kill!

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2012, 11:17 nin

except Hudson the wonder dog, who is fine as long as I'm here

"Problem? What problem?"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >