Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Yeah it's more than a little odd being alone here, or alone with the doggies.... And the Gunnar-man is a little thrown by it as well, as he's utterly devoted to MrsBlue. So basically everyone is a little out of sorts with her out of town. Except Hudson the wonder dog, who is fine as long as I'm here (and there are fresh batteries in the smoke detector).

Lonely Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Robot Unicorn Attack Evolution.
Physics Robbery.
Rolling Home.
Links: Guitar Pee: Toilet For Rockstars.
10 years after The X-Files- Where are they now?
Stories: Former CNN Executive Caught Putting Dog Doo in Neighbor's Mailbox.
Science: Pomegranate juice claims deceptive, US rules.
Chemical exposure influences rat behavior for generations.
Firefly Easter Egg.
Media: Community Goes 8-Bit.
Custom LEGO Marble Maze.
Saddest Claw Machine in New York.
The Funnies: The Bucket List.

View
8. Re: Monitor Troubles May 22, 2012, 19:06 jimnms

I stayed up late last night looking at more monitors and went to bed undecided. Luckily the monitor eventually came on today, so I've been looking more. I still haven't seen anything else to add to my list, so the Dell and ASUS still top the list so far, however now I'm leaning toward the ASUS.

I found some reviews of the Dell that mention a disturbing flicker from the way the backlight dims using pulse width modulation. There are some videos of it up on YouTube. I read up on it, and PWM is common even on CCFL displays but is more noticeable on LEDs. Either the ASUS doesn't use PWM or it's not noticeable because I couldn't find any mention of it.

I've found more professional reviews of the Dell than the ASUS, and more user reviews for the ASUS than the Dell. The only negative reviews for either come from user reviews at NewEgg, Amazon, etc. The negative reviews for the Dell are consistent, either they don't like the anti-glare coating or the backlight flicker. I'll keep looking and unless something changes my mind I'm going to order the ASUS before I go to bed.

I also did some digging into the symptoms of my monitor's problem and it's most likely due to bad capacitors in the monitors power supply. It looks like a fairly easy fix, so I'm going to give it a try once I get a replacement. I thought about getting the cheapest ~20" monitor from Walmart and returning it if/when I fix mine or get a replacement, but all they have is a 19" 1366x768 in stock.

Steam Profile
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. May 22, 11:17 Re: Out of the Blue nin
  2. May 22, 16:01 Re: Out of the Blue space captain
  3. May 22, 16:45 Re: Out of the Blue Cutter
  4. May 22, 17:08  Re: Out of the Blue Root
  5. May 22, 17:38 Re: Out of the Blue Hoop
  6. May 22, 17:44 Re: Out of the Blue Cutter
  7. May 22, 18:56  Re: Out of the Blue jdreyer
>> 8. May 22, 19:06 Re: Monitor Troubles jimnms
  9. May 22, 21:29  Re: Monitor Troubles jdreyer