Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer

The SEGA Blog now offers a new Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer made with 100% in-game footage from Gearbox's upcoming Aliens shooter. This is accompanied by some screenshots and an update from Gearbox Software CEO and President Randy Pitchford, who discusses the game an its just-announced new release date of February 2013.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 24, 2012, 09:54 Ant

Don't suck please!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 23, 2012, 13:58 Jerykk

I'm really intrigued to see how Far Cry 3 turns out, as they're attempting to focus the narrative and somewhat restrict the scope but to make the gameplay more compelling (FC2 was a bit TOO freeform and some of the AI interactions were annoyingly repetitive).

From what I've seen, the missions in FC3 look heavily scripted and the game routinely takes control away from the player.

31. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 23, 2012, 07:27 theyarecomingforyou

siapnar wrote on May 22, 2012, 15:28:
I think they're leaning more towards the "taking away control from the player scripting" being annoying.

I'm all for scripting in games - the HL series has some of the best - but I hate it when the game rips control away from you and shatters the immersion.
It's basically a cheaper way of scripting, where, since they don't know how to direct the player's attention properly, they just take control of the camera.
Exactly. In Half-Life you were responsible for everything. If you needed a door opened then you did it yourself, or you found a scientist and brought him to the iris scanner. The scripted sequences didn't take you out of character. More importantly, Half-Life was one of the first games to use complex scripted sequences - things have understandably moved on since then.

COD and BF3 are perfect examples of BAD scripting. Some doors you can open, others require you to wait for your teammates. Some enemies will respawn forever unless you move to a certain point. Some scenes will stop you being able to use your weapon (around friendlies, etc). Some will require you to quickly press a button that appears on the screen, breaking immersion in the game. It's all done to deliver the narrative but it's clumsy and makes you feel like you don't have any real impact upon the gameplay / narrative.

Games like Far Cry 2 and Skyrim do the opposite. They have scripted events but for the most part you have complete freedom over the game world, you can go where you want and your play style is entirely up to you. Deus Ex: Human Revolution was also very well done because they gave players the option of how they wanted to approach a situation - it was very much like Half-Life evolved. I'd like to see FPS games become more like Skyrim, where there is a lot of interactivity aside from simply killing people. Half-Life was about expanding the gaming expectations, yet games like COD, MOH and BF3 have gone backwards by micro-managing every interaction and limiting freedom to deliver narrative. I'm really intrigued to see how Far Cry 3 turns out, as they're attempting to focus the narrative and somewhat restrict the scope but to make the gameplay more compelling (FC2 was a bit TOO freeform and some of the AI interactions were annoyingly repetitive).

Getting back on topic, all the footage I've seen so far looks overly scripted. It also doesn't have much immersion because it shows the game taking control of the camera away from the player. I'm hoping the game turns out decent but it doesn't look as freeform as the original AVP.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

30. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 21:01 Orogogus

Prez wrote on May 22, 2012, 20:51:
Wallshadows wrote on May 22, 2012, 09:51:
Nice easter egg with the lower half of Bishop still on deck...

...wait...didn't Ripley open up the god damn air lock to blow the Queen out in to space? How did it manage to stay there and not follow suite...

He was hanging on to the floor grating while grabbing Newt, which is how they were both around for Alien 3. Well, Bishop's top half and Newt's corpse were anyway.

It's the lower half you see in the trailer, though (0:53).

Edit: Ah, edited. Oh well.

29. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 20:51 Prez

...wait...didn't Ripley open up the god damn air lock to blow the Queen out in to space? How did it manage to stay there and not follow suite...

He was hanging on to the floor grating while grabbing Newt, which is how they were both around for Alien 3. Well, Bishop's top half and Newt's corpse were anyway.

EDIT: Wait - you meant the bottom half of him. Okay, you got me there. Drunk

This comment was edited on May 22, 2012, 20:58.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 19:55 Shataan

"I'll never understand the hatred of scripting here."

The problem is this. They rely too much on scripted events. And in pushing towards this too tight script crap, game devs have all but done away with anything that might occur randomly for the players.

We the players have been clobbered over the head with way too much script, and add to that the literal death of the sp game replay value. Anything... anything is good in moderation. But scripted events these days are anything but moderately used.

I had hoped by now devs would have found a way to code A.I. entities with an inworld purpose/agenda, as apposed to them always being triggered by the player. Much like a worker bee would go about his business, until the hive is endangered.

Sooner or later, gamers are gonna want to explore more as apposed to being led by the nose. I remember when devs strived to deliver open worlds and random event occurances etc. Now we get what? Walls, barriers, and mouse to cheese game design. Sub 6 hour sp campaigns, no mod tools, no dedicated servers, the list goes on. In their push to streamline production, cut costs etc, they streamlined the coolness that devs used to strive to deliver, right outta games.

27. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 17:11 Jerykk

siapnar wrote on May 22, 2012, 15:28:
Beamer wrote on May 22, 2012, 07:51:
It's based on a movie, so that's expected, right?
I'll never understand the hatred of scripting here. Half Life was one of the most scripted games, and the first super scripted game, and that's part of what made it great. Things like seeing a zombie eating a scientist in the distance, or having a zombie bash through a door to get you.

Scripting is a good thing, so long as it isn't the actual combat scripted but the atmosphere and the way some enemies begin combat (e.g., jumping through a window, bashing in a door, etc.)

Scripting is pretty much awesome and I really, really don't get why so many people go "looks too scripted!" The alternative is pretty much to just have aliens standing out in the open waiting for you to walk into their line of sight...
I think they're leaning more towards the "taking away control from the player scripting" being annoying.

I'm all for scripting in games - the HL series has some of the best - but I hate it when the game rips control away from you and shatters the immersion.
It's basically a cheaper way of scripting, where, since they don't know how to direct the player's attention properly, they just take control of the camera.

This. The HL games did an excellent job of making the player feel like he was always in control.

That said, if a level's scripting is too predictable or formulaic, that can hurt the experience as well. In the Hitman Absolution E3 demo, for example, the scripting was very obviously based on the player hitting certain triggers as he progressed in a relatively linear fashion. In the previous games, scripted events would happen regardless of the player, making the experience feel more natural and dynamic.

Scripting is fine in moderation but if you rely on it too heavily, your game becomes more of a movie than a game.

26. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 15:28 siapnar

Beamer wrote on May 22, 2012, 07:51:
I'll never understand the hatred of scripting here. Half Life was one of the most scripted games, and the first super scripted game, and that's part of what made it great. Things like seeing a zombie eating a scientist in the distance, or having a zombie bash through a door to get you.

Scripting is a good thing, so long as it isn't the actual combat scripted but the atmosphere and the way some enemies begin combat (e.g., jumping through a window, bashing in a door, etc.)

Scripting is pretty much awesome and I really, really don't get why so many people go "looks too scripted!" The alternative is pretty much to just have aliens standing out in the open waiting for you to walk into their line of sight...

I have projectile dysfunction.

25. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 11:45 Matshock

Mad Max RW wrote on May 22, 2012, 08:57:
Matshock wrote on May 22, 2012, 01:10:
The first AVP was pretty enjoyable, but ah most of the Monolith engine games were (NOLF 1 & 2 have yet to be even emulated).

The first AvP PC game was by Rebellion using their own technology.

You're right of course- I missed AVP1 I guess. I had mono in 1999 .

AVP2/Monolith was the last game of the franchise I enjoyed in any event.

24. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 10:17 Mad Max RW

nin wrote on May 22, 2012, 09:16:
TangledThorns wrote on May 22, 2012, 09:09:
nin wrote on May 22, 2012, 08:39:
TangledThorns wrote on May 22, 2012, 06:33:
I'm a huge Aliens fan and appreciate that Sega will make sure this game is done before release.

Can't tell if serious...

I'm serious, besides an EA exec who likes a rushed game?

I just can't help but think if you're betting on gearbox and sega, you're going to be disappointed.

Look at the other games coming out during the 2012 holiday season and you'll understand the true reason why A:CM was delayed to 2013.

23. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 10:13 InBlack

Maybe some of its artificial intestines got tangled up on some of the equipemnt laying around....Jesus Christ why am I even thinking about this??....

I have a nifty blue line!

22. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 09:51 Wallshadows

21. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 09:16 nin

TangledThorns wrote on May 22, 2012, 09:09:
I'm a huge Aliens fan and appreciate that Sega will make sure this game is done before release.

Can't tell if serious...

I just can't help but think if you're betting on gearbox and sega, you're going to be disappointed.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 09:09 TangledThorns

Can't tell if serious...

19. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 08:57 Mad Max RW

Matshock wrote on May 22, 2012, 01:10:
The first AVP was pretty enjoyable, but ah most of the Monolith engine games were (NOLF 1 & 2 have yet to be even emulated).

The first AvP PC game was by Rebellion using their own technology.

18. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 08:39 nin

Can't tell if serious...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 07:51 Beamer

nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:47:
Looks awful scripted...and I guess I hadn't been following it close enough to remember it took place on the Sulaco. Seems like a rather meh location to base a game...

Also, unlike that BLOPS2 trailer, the textures look fine here. The important ones, like the alien or the marines' armor, as well as the stuff on the first person gun/hands, look good.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 06:33 TangledThorns

15. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 05:01 theyarecomingforyou

The texture quality is appalling. I'm hoping it's just because they're using console footage. And I like the way they mention it's "100% in-game footage" as if anyone is going to think it's pre-rendered - in fact the only reason there would be any confusion is due to the amount of scripted scenes in the game.

I really want this to be a good game but my intuition tells me to be wary of it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 22, 2012, 04:45 Jackplug

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2012, 01:26:
Gee, it looks like this game was designed and built for a 6+ year old console. Pass.

6+, that old? You sure?? Does anyone know of a good Aliens game cos I dont, they've all crashed and burned like this one will.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo