Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 12:24 Orogogus

Necrophob wrote on May 22, 2012, 12:14:
Orogogus wrote on May 22, 2012, 11:29:
I wouldn't say Myth was heavily LOTR influenced; the primary inspiration is pretty clearly Glen Cook's Black Company books, one of the relatively few fantasy series of that time to get away from elves and dwarves and dragons.

I've never read Glen Cook, but the bad guys reminded me of LOTR. Balor seemed sort of like Sauron to me, with the Fallen reminding me of the Ring Wraiths.

Ah. That's something almost directly out of the Black Company books: one big bad guy (the Dominator) and his enslaved lieutenants, the Taken. That much is similar to LotR, but a lot of the other elements of Myth (especially the way wizards are treated) are closer to the Black Company than LotR. Also, the way the story is told from the military's point of view, rather than the hero's.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 12:14 Necrophob

Orogogus wrote on May 22, 2012, 11:29:
I wouldn't say Myth was heavily LOTR influenced; the primary inspiration is pretty clearly Glen Cook's Black Company books, one of the relatively few fantasy series of that time to get away from elves and dwarves and dragons.

I've never read Glen Cook, but the bad guys reminded me of LOTR. Balor seemed sort of like Sauron to me, with the Fallen reminding me of the Ring Wraiths.

15. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 11:29 Orogogus

14. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 10:22 Necrophob

The Half Elf wrote on May 21, 2012, 21:54:
That's the thing, when Microsoft, or EA, or Activision owns you, they keep having the developers pump out whatever brings in the most cash.

That being said, Bungie is no longer employed by Microsoft and has a contract for 10 years (I believe) with Activision.

Also Bungie did release other games besides Halo. Oni, Marathon, Myth for example.

Myth 1/2 are still some of my favorite games. I have fond memories of playing them coop with my brother on a LAN. Great story (if heavily LOTR influenced). I don't think I played past the 1st level on Myth 3 though (wasn't even a Bungie game).

13. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 08:50 nin

the next halo multiplayer game has the same name as the last marathon game called infinity. they really couldnt think of anything else?

Ask microsoft?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 08:48 zirik

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 22, 2012, 05:11:
zirik wrote on May 21, 2012, 21:27:
microsoft can have bungie. they ran out of original ideas a long time ago. halo just keeps rehashing marathon story about rampant AI against alien race who poses powers that can destroy planetary systems.
You say that but how much of the design was based upon Microsoft's say-so?

i thought bungie already had the halo story down before acquisition by microsoft. bungie didnt even hide marathon references in halo. the next halo multiplayer game has the same name as the last marathon game called infinity. they really couldnt think of anything else?

11. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 07:25 Dmitri_M

nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 22:22:

That being said, Bungie is no longer employed by Microsoft and has a contract for 10 years (I believe) with Activision.

Talk about swapping one evil for another!

Financial stability is clearly an acceptable evil for companies like Bungie unwilling to play indie in mom's basement.

10. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 07:01 Suckage

That's exactly what happened to Obsidian and Fallout:NV...  

9. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 06:01 Fantaz

I don't see why they decided to make such a high demand that the game must get a rating of exactly 90% or more on gamerankings & metacritic combined for the bonus... what if it gets 89.4%? Do you round down, and there goes millions of dollars in bonus money? The deciding factor could be one critic website.

InBlack wrote on May 22, 2012, 04:15:
SectorEffector wrote on May 21, 2012, 21:01:
Microsoft till death.

Hahhaahah

Needs an animated gif...

8. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 05:24 Rigs

Was going through my pc gaming mag archive (nearly 400 magazines, from three main ones - Computer Gaming World (June 1992 up), PC Gamer (first issue up and some before the rename/relaunch in 1994) and NEXT Gen (man I miss that mag! It was so professionally done and on quality paper stock to top it off, I have every issue from the first to the third volume and then scattered as the quality fell off) and others like Game Players, PC Accelerator (another I miss dearly!)) and Computer and Video Games Review) and I ran into a preview of HALO as it was originally intended, as an RTS. (Yes, in case you didn't know, it was suppose to be more like HALO Wars than an FPS and for Mac only at first as well) Most of the core concepts, at least in design, are there but besides that, wow. So it went from a Mac-exclusive RTS to a Mac/PC RTS to a PC RTS to a PC FPS and then over to an Xbox exclusive FPS. I'm an unapologetic HALO fanboy, so in any form I'm down with it, but I would have loved to play it's original vision...

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

7. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 05:11 theyarecomingforyou

microsoft can have bungie. they ran out of original ideas a long time ago. halo just keeps rehashing marathon story about rampant AI against alien race who poses powers that can destroy planetary systems.
You say that but how much of the design was based upon Microsoft's say-so? They wouldn't want Bungie making radical changes to the franchise, especially when it was the biggest exclusive they had. Even so, Bungie managed to put a few twists in with both ODST and Reach. And as for graphics, they were pushed to do anything more because the X360 couldn't even render Halo 3 at 720p - all they had available was art-style. I wouldn't condemn Bungie when publisher conditions and hardware restrictions dictated most of their moves.

However, I have to say I'm disappointed that Bungie will be sticking to the Xbox, even though it will undoubtedly be a launch title for the X720 or whatever it's called. As for picking Activision, what exactly were there other choices - EA, Ubisoft? Bethesda was probably the only palatable option, yet they don't have the same clout. And yes, I'd have loved to see them team up with Valve for an awesome PC exclusive but let's not descend into fantasy territory. I'm just surprised that Actvision would want to limit the choice of platform for Bungie's next game, as that will surely limit sales.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

6. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 04:15 InBlack

SectorEffector wrote on May 21, 2012, 21:01:
Microsoft till death.

Hahhaahah

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 01:25 Smellfinger

Bungie is one of the more painful casualties of this generation. I really enjoyed everything they did up to and including the original Halo. I still think that Myth was the perfect RTS. The multiplayer was WAY ahead of its time. It was more robust than Starcraft, which it predated by almost a year.

4. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2012, 22:22 nin

Talk about swapping one evil for another!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2012, 21:54 The Half Elf

That's the thing, when Microsoft, or EA, or Activision owns you, they keep having the developers pump out whatever brings in the most cash.

Also Bungie did release other games besides Halo. Oni, Marathon, Myth for example.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

2. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2012, 21:27 zirik

1. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2012, 21:01 SectorEffector

Microsoft till death.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo