Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Hacking?

A bunch of threads on the Diablo III forums from players who've experienced unauthorized access to their accounts suggest their may be a security issue with the action/RPG sequel or that the game's future support of real-money auctions has attracted more hacking attempts than one would consider normal. The threads in question are: Ummm...all of my gold and items are gone, Hacked. GG Online Only Single Player DRM, Hacked with an authenticator, and The hacker found (with screenshot). Thanks nin.

View
256 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

56. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 14:55 Flatline

Creston wrote on May 21, 2012, 14:23:
SimplyMonk wrote on May 21, 2012, 12:18:
I can't really knock them for blaming the user first in random security violations. If they had an internal security breach, it would be something on the level of whole swaths of users having their accounts compromised.

Well, judging by D3's tech support forum, there are a LOT of people it's happened to, including those with authenticators. I guess they all just decided to drop all their gold and items simultaneously? Maybe they all caught the Stupid disease?

Creston

See now, I wonder if people are going to come to the same conclusion I have...

There are people inside of Blizzard compromising accounts.

My WoW account was compromised a total of 3 times, the last of which I previously reset the password a few months earlier on a newly-formatted computer to a gibberish password that I did not store online. I even changed the email address that I retrieve the password from to a private server I run because Gmail had logged intrusion attempts from China once upon a time and I was frustrated and paranoid.

Sure enough, a few months later I get the warning from Blizzard that my account was frozen. I called them and I explained that nobody retrieved my password without compromising an exchange server that I controlled, but somehow, miraculously, someone managed to reset the password. They blamed fishers, viruses, whatever, I explained it all and they gave up with suggestions on what it might be.

To this day I think there's people working Blizzard customer service or something like that who pinch accounts. If authenticator accounts are getting compromised, it *has* to be either a major flaw in Blizzard's system or someone on the inside.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 14:52 Matshock

Why assume malice when incompetence will do?

IMO Blizzard is doing a quick and dirty expansion on their server farm and not integrating the DB properly as they go- i.e. your Battle.net account access carries over but your D3 data doesn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if missing stuff shows back up in a few days to a week.

Still sucks though- I bet Activision wouldn't let them invest in the expansion until they had cash on hand from D3 sales. Remember sales <> cash- cash doesn't start rolling in until after fulfillment.

54. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 14:51 Creston

nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 14:48:
but I'm a little paranoid to play right now.

Yeah, I can imagine. Would have been nice if you could've played offline.

Creston

53. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 14:50 Creston

Fantaz wrote on May 21, 2012, 14:42:
oh crap, i asked my friend and looks like it happened to him. he logged in and all his gold his gone this morning...

Well your friend is an idiot, and it's obviously his own fault!! *rolleyes*

/Blizzard fanboy.

There's absolutely thousands of people this is happening to. If I had to guess, I'd say that Blizzard themselves got "hacked", because I don't see how any group of hackers can defeat thousands of passwords all in such a short time.

Blizzard's response is apparently to just roll people back 10 or 12 hours. This is quite the entertainment, to be honest. Especially after Morhaim's claims that none of always-online stuff had to do with DRM or piracy, but it was just to safeguard the player experience and the real money auction house.

Popcorn

Creston

52. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 14:48 nin

Fantaz wrote on May 21, 2012, 14:42:
oh crap, i asked my friend and looks like it happened to him. he logged in and all his gold his gone this morning...

Honestly I've heard a theory of them hijacking existing play sessions based on a unique ID, thus bypassing the auth.

If that's the case, and the IDs are in some sort of order, logging in might expose you.

Total theory with nothing to back it up however...but I'm a little paranoid to play right now.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

51. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 14:42 Fantaz

50. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 14:34 Mashiki Amiketo

Accounts cracked.
Or
Servers info hacked.

There's a fundamental difference between the two. I'd figure that most of the old people like me, would actually remember this.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

49. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 14:25 Creston

nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 14:25:
I can't really knock them for blaming the user first in random security violations. If they had an internal security breach, it would be something on the level of whole swaths of users having their accounts compromised.

Well, judging by D3's tech support forum, there are a LOT of people it's happened to, including those with authenticators. I guess they all just decided to drop all their gold and items simultaneously? Maybe they all caught the Stupid disease?

Creston

Deqitis?

Gesundheit!

Creston

48. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 14:25 nin

Creston

Deqitis?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

47. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 14:23 Creston

Creston

46. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 14:04 Kastagir

Mr. Tact wrote on May 21, 2012, 14:00:
Kastagir wrote on May 21, 2012, 13:55:
Did Torchlight 2 get released somewhere already? Steam shows its release date as Summer 2012.
They were passing out a lot of beta keys recently for a server stress test.

Ah, thanks!

45. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 14:00 Mr. Tact

Kastagir wrote on May 21, 2012, 13:55:
Did Torchlight 2 get released somewhere already? Steam shows its release date as Summer 2012.
They were passing out a lot of beta keys recently for a server stress test.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

44. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 13:55 Luke

Rattlehead wrote on May 21, 2012, 13:02:
You haters are just as annoying, if not more, than the rabid fanboys you keep detesting. We get it, you hate Blizzard and Diablo 3, yet you can't seem to stop talking about it and somehow wind up on every forum regarding Diablo 3. Nobody cares now go have a wank on the T2 forums already.

Or maybe you can go play your diablo 3 instead of beeing on a forum , bored already ?

43. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 13:55 Kastagir

Paketep wrote on May 21, 2012, 13:27:
And BTW, Torchlight 2 is fantastic, thank you very much.

42. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 13:52 Wolfox

Other websites, like Eurogamer and Examiner.com, are reporting similar issues.

So, it looks like a real issue for me, not something that happened only to "shady" people. Comments?

41. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 13:43 SimplyMonk

Bhruic wrote on May 21, 2012, 13:16:
Danish Article

Ouch. Sucks for Blizzard. Maybe not the Sony PSN level of suck, but not a good way to start a game release or to endorse a RMT Auction House.

40. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 13:42 Mordecai Walfish

I've been playing Diablo 3 only a couple days now but have had a pretty frustrating experience so far as well. All the things they listed as benefits for their "Online-Only" single player game are unraveling before their, and gamer's eyes.

Single player games getting hacked? I thought it odd that I had a random person listed in my social list last night, but really thought nothing of it at the time.. guess I will need to investigate that further..

Also, the effin game can't be bothered to save my options! I assume its some issue with it syncing my options with battle.net servers, but what this has caused, is for me to need to completely re-bind my keys every time I fire the game up. 48 hours I've had a ticket in regarding the problem (which apparently is pretty wide-spread) and no response. At first it could take up to 10 mins to get everything set properly, now i have it streamlined to about 2 minutes, but either way, its annoying as hell! (I use a custom keypad for gaming with a non-standard layout that requires almost everything to be rebound, usually a one-time deal and done, but I've re-set everything 10+times in Diablo 3 now)

This *WOULD NOT BE HAPPENING WITHOUT THE ONLINE REQUIREMENT*. Games used to be content saving the settings you've changed in a small file on your computer, now each setting change must be sync'd with a effing server and it's not working Blizzard. If Blizzard can't be bothered to get this working after how many months/years of beta testing, I'm going to turn to hackers for a solution to make this game work properly.

39. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 13:27 Paketep

You haters are just as annoying, if not more, than the rabid fanboys you keep detesting. We get it, you hate Blizzard and Diablo 3, yet you can't seem to stop talking about it and somehow wind up on every forum regarding Diablo 3. Nobody cares now go have a wank on the T2 forums already.

As are you. You can't seem to stop either, you go to every thread in every forum to lambast the haters for being haters. I'd say you're much more of a hater yourself. We get it, you hate the haters. Nobody cares, go and have a wank.. I don't know, hating?

And BTW, Torchlight 2 is fantastic, thank you very much.

38. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 13:26 Kastagir

I have to admit, this news makes me somewhat giddy. Nay, I'm positively gleeful.
Yifes wrote on May 21, 2012, 12:18:
Who said this couldn't be hacked or are you just arguing with yourself and winning?
"Winning?" How did Charlie Sheen get into this debate?

37. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 13:25 deqer

LOL. Sorry, I laughed.

I don't think it's about "Hate Blizzard"; it's about "Hate Corporations"

When will you people start to SEE that Blizzard is turning into EA; or any other big company that is just in it for the money. The money!

The truth hurts, therefore many find hard to accept it and even try not to accept it. The truth has been fluffed up with excuses, therefore many are deceived.

Blizzard is at a stage now where they just want to pump out the games for the monies, and since their reputation is so high--they know it is--they feel they can push out random crap--built by random devs--to the people; and people bought it. Any original dev that brought his passion to the table, was fired--because it didn't serve the purpose of making money.

Here is proof that Diablo 3 is just a random game, built by random devs: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5235705700

256 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo