Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Hacking?

A bunch of threads on the Diablo III forums from players who've experienced unauthorized access to their accounts suggest their may be a security issue with the action/RPG sequel or that the game's future support of real-money auctions has attracted more hacking attempts than one would consider normal. The threads in question are: Ummm...all of my gold and items are gone, Hacked. GG Online Only Single Player DRM, Hacked with an authenticator, and The hacker found (with screenshot). Thanks nin.

View
256 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

176. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 04:13 Quinn

Ugh, imagine a hacker suddenly entering your singleplayer game... That's just... scary.

Luckily I've had an authenticator for years.

I wonder what steps we have to take to make money transactions. I would cry and probably kill babies when I realize my account has been hacked and a hacker has bought 20 $40,- legendaries with my real money..

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

175. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 04:12 raVen

The servers just went down to do an service update. I'm wondering if it's to plug some security hole? or just a normal patch day thing. Who knows it's the first Tuesday since Diablo III has been out.

Quite terrifying actually. I just got to the end of Act IV about to fight the final boss when I get this message that the servers are going down in 12 minutes. ... mind you I'm playing on Hardcore.

Needless to say I vanquished D3 on normal and tomorrow I shall venture into Nightmare in hardcore.

(Edit: Tomorrow means after I wake up as it's obviously after midnight.)

174. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 04:06 Muscular Beaver

wrlwnd wrote on May 21, 2012, 11:48:
Here's a post from one of the threads

Hello all,

I had my diablo 3 account hacked today. All my items gone and gold liquidated. Blizzard rolled it back to where I was a day and a half before. Meaning I lost around 20 hours of game time play. Not only that, but from what I've read, it seems to be blizzard's fault. My password is a random combination of capitalized and uncapitalized letters, numbers, and special characters. My security question answer is also unknowable by anyone but me.

I was told I'd have to use an authenticator now to use the Real money auction house, and if it happened again, my account would be banned from the RMAH. What is up with that? Blizzard has security flaws and I get punished? So ontop of losing 20 hours of gameplay, I have to use an authenticator to login to my account now, and am teetering on the edge of never using the RMAH? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

I just reformatted this computer in anticipation for diablo 3. I have no programs on here but diablo 3, an EVGA overclocker, and internet explorer. I'm also on a secure wired connection, with a legitimate copy of windows 7. I know my stuff, I majored in comp sci in college. Don't treat me like an idiot. This is not my fault.

So now basically Blizzard is treating this guy's account as suspect and will penalize him for their lack of security.

It is to laugh

Well, its Blizzard...
I remember when I was banned from WoW with a final notice, just because my IP address changed.
At least after 6 weeks a more competent superior finally got hold of my case... Still I didnt get reimbursed for the lost days I was banned.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

173. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 04:06 Mashiki Amiketo

Dev wrote on May 22, 2012, 01:11:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:02:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149539239#4

For what it's worth.

And the promised just posted official response:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149619846#1

Basically just says "trust us, and use authenticators" without addressing anything about the hacking issue.
A post in d3 forums says its about grabbing session ids in public games and spoofing them, which wouldn't surprise me. That would explain the reports of people with authenticators getting hit.

Except:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149619846?page=29#571
Bashiok- Community Manager

We've been taking the situation extremely seriously from the start, and have done everything possible to verify how and in what circumstances these compromises are occurring. Despite the claims and theories being made, we have yet to find any situations in which a person's account was not compromised through traditional means of someone else logging into their account through the use of their password. While the authenticator isn't a 100% guarantee of account security, we have yet to investigate a compromise report in which an authenticator was attached beforehand.

If your account has been hacked, please view the previous post for information on contacting our support department.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

172. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 02:31 Dev

Orogogus wrote on May 22, 2012, 02:20:
My distinct impression from this thread and the other one is that the majority of people are able to log in now and haven't had their stuff stolen.
Doesn't need to be a majority for the game to get a name for it and for people not to trust money for the auction house. The game is basically a vehicle for the auction house, a way for blizzard to make money long after they've peaked on sales.

And if blizzard doesn't fix the problem, the knowledge about the exploit will spread and more and more people will start doing it.

171. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 02:20 Orogogus

Prez wrote on May 22, 2012, 00:58:
Orogogus wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:53:
Prez wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:41:
Something is wrong when every major story pertaining to a long-awaited blockbuster game are about things like DRM, server outages and account hacking. What are the odds that someone new to the series and considering buying it is going to want to subject themselves to all these potential pitfalls, especially when all of what they read about the game references exactly that?

People new to the series generally don't know what DRM or server outages are, or why they should be outraged.

If they spend any time on the internet at all I bet they understand the concept of "hacked accounts" and "unable to login". Not to mention given that 12 years have passed, I'm guessing that there is a whole new demographic of young, computer savvy kids who were but mere toddlers when Diablo 2 was released.

Those people probably played D2 anyway. D2 was still selling strong way, way after it was released. There wasn't really ever another game in the genre that utterly eclipsed it. Up to this year D2 was still the go-to ARPG.

The hacked accounts and login issues look like it would be more of an outrage on the principle of the thing, which average schmoes don't really go in for. My distinct impression from this thread and the other one is that the majority of people are able to log in now and haven't had their stuff stolen.

170. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 01:47 eunichron

Dev wrote on May 22, 2012, 01:17:
entr0py wrote on May 22, 2012, 01:15:
That is absolutely my No. 1 complaint about the game as well. In order to play on any of the fun difficulty levels you have to complete the entire game on normal (easy) once for EVERY character class. I was expecting all the online hassles, but I never thought they could screw up the difficulty so badly. It just about single-handedly ruins the game, it's not any fun this way.
Wait. WTF!? Easy on EVERY CHARACTER class? I thought I'd only need to play it once ever. How freaking boring is that. D2 wasn't that way I don't think.

I think his wording was a bit off... you don't have to complete normal with every class to play Nightmare/Hell/Inferno at all, you only have to complete it for that specific character. There is a linear progression, i.e. to play Hell you have to defeat Nightmare, to play Inferno you have to defeat Hell and be level 60 (max level). Diablo 2 was that way as well, and the reasoning is that the health and damage of the mobs are scaled up, as are the item drops (essentially the first mob in Normal is level 1, the first mob in Nightmare would be level 30). However, unlike Diablo 2, in Diablo 3 once you beat Normal you don't have to do the quests or acts in order on subsequent difficulties. For example I was just in a coop Nightmare game with a friend, we were on Act III, we were level 46-ish. Our third friend jumped in with his level 36 Witch Doctor who had only completed Act I Nightmare, but he was able to join us when we were half way through Act III. It also seems that our other friend got an experience boost as he caught up to us in levels fairly quickly. We finished all of Act III and he was level 43 or 44 while we were both 49.

I believe only Diablo 1 allowed you to choose a difficulty starting from level 1, but if I remember correctly you still had to complete the game on Normal with any character before you could play the harder difficulties.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2012, 02:41.

169. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 01:17 Dev

entr0py wrote on May 22, 2012, 01:15:
That is absolutely my No. 1 complaint about the game as well. In order to play on any of the fun difficulty levels you have to complete the entire game on normal (easy) once for EVERY character class. I was expecting all the online hassles, but I never thought they could screw up the difficulty so badly. It just about single-handedly ruins the game, it's not any fun this way.
Wait. WTF!? Easy on EVERY CHARACTER class? I thought I'd only need to play it once ever. How freaking boring is that. D2 wasn't that way I don't think.

168. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 01:15 entr0py

167. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 01:11 Dev

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:02:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149539239#4

For what it's worth.

And the promised just posted official response:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149619846#1

Basically just says "trust us, and use authenticators" without addressing anything about the hacking issue.
A post in d3 forums says its about grabbing session ids in public games and spoofing them, which wouldn't surprise me. That would explain the reports of people with authenticators getting hit.

Flatline wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:29:
I've helped overhaul banking systems, the california state lottery, and a lot of other *huge* IT projects that involved extensive data centers. I give Diablo 3's launch... oh... 6.5/10. They've shown significant improvement very fast, and I'll give them that.
I'm curious, what do you give valves steam services and storefront in general? I see problems with them every single time they do a big sale or release, and its not the content servers (according to the stats) so it must be the front end and load balancing. And of course I often see various storefront errors in just everyday browsing of steam.

166. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 00:58 Prez

Orogogus wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:53:
Prez wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:41:
Something is wrong when every major story pertaining to a long-awaited blockbuster game are about things like DRM, server outages and account hacking. What are the odds that someone new to the series and considering buying it is going to want to subject themselves to all these potential pitfalls, especially when all of what they read about the game references exactly that?

People new to the series generally don't know what DRM or server outages are, or why they should be outraged.

If they spend any time on the internet at all I bet they understand the concept of "hacked accounts" and "unable to login". Not to mention given that 12 years have passed, I'm guessing that there is a whole new demographic of young, computer savvy kids who were but mere toddlers when Diablo 2 was released.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

165. Re: General complaints, longish May 22, 2012, 00:47 Ventura

Whether you enjoy the game or not doesn't change that they've included must-always-be-online DRM on the SP with the only gain being "you can use the AH in SP". It's a really greedy move with the thinnest veneer of a "benefit".

I don't think anyone will argue that point, but nobody put a gun to anyone's head and forced them to buy it. Granted, not enough of us are voting with our wallets these days.

For my part, I've had a lot of fun with the game, but I'd trade being able to use the AH for offline single player and LAN multiplayer in a heartbeat. Actually, I'd pay extra for that.

Roll on Torchlight 2.

164. Re: General complaints, longish May 22, 2012, 00:44 ColoradoHoudini

Flatline writes:
4. It's just... not fucking fun. I've put hours into the game and can count the number of real "fights" that were mildly interesting on one hand. I'm waiting for the fun to start. The only two reasons why I kept playing was that A: The plot never really "pauses" and it encourages you to keep playing and B: The loot drops turn you into a f*cking Skinner rat hitting the bar to get a food pellet. I actually feel kind of dirty after playing D3. I haven't had fun, I haven't been particularly entertained, but I kept playing it anyway.
----------------------
The guys I speak to from my guild (WoW/SWTOR/GW2) and the 3 coworkers I know of that were all jazzed up for D3 all have the same sentiment.. it's just "okay". They are playing it to play something, and really aren't that into it. In fact, the young kid I work with, who was ALL ABOUT D3 talk for the last few months, said he's bored with it already.

Glad I didn't buy it, not hearing much of anything good from sources I absolutely trust.

163. Re: General complaints, longish May 22, 2012, 00:11 Mashiki Amiketo

Sepharo wrote on May 21, 2012, 23:01:
Whether you enjoy the game or not doesn't change that they've included must-always-be-online DRM on the SP with the only gain being "you can use the AH in SP". It's a really greedy move with the thinnest veneer of a "benefit".
I thought it was *you could make money on the SP* if it was otherwise, you could claim so.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

162. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 23:08 Sepharo

Orogogus wrote on May 21, 2012, 23:04:
MattyC wrote on May 21, 2012, 22:54:
Eh, as someone that got D3, I feel you are using the term abuse incorrectly. You are free to hate the game, just don't speak for me. I thought it wasn't amazing, but was a decent game that was worth the cost.

Well, if the game is enjoyable, then it's not really selling on name alone; it's not just customer abuse in a box.

Ahh I didn't realize he was still addressing the "sold on name alone" point. Thought it was more of a "Well I liked it so everything is a-okay!"

161. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 23:04 Orogogus

Eh, as someone that got D3, I feel you are using the term abuse incorrectly. You are free to hate the game, just don't speak for me. I thought it wasn't amazing, but was a decent game that was worth the cost.

Well, if the game is enjoyable, then it's not really selling on name alone; it's not just customer abuse in a box.

160. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 23:01 Sepharo

159. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 23:00 deqer

I thought it wasn't amazing, but was a decent game that was worth the cost.
You like paying $60 to lease a singleplayer game? Cool.

158. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 22:54 MattyC

ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 22:21:
Kosumo wrote on May 21, 2012, 21:49:
A bit more thinking and I'd say that Dragon Age 2 sold manly on name too. Also SW:TOR

There are heaps of games over the years which have sold large at thier launch (not all at same level as Diablo 3, which came out in 2012 so is fresh in your mind)

Your statement "I'm starting to think D3 may have been the first observable game that sold on name and name alone." is just very shallow thinking and I'd say is more about your personal views towards large publishers and games company than anything else.

The fact that it had a '3' in the name make me think that they are keen to use the 'Diablo' name in selling their game or else they may have gone with a name like "Tristram"

Ok then, allow me to rephrase it.

Diablo 3 may have been the first game that contains blatant consumer abuse that sold on name and name alone on the PC.

157. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 22:21 ASeven

Kosumo wrote on May 21, 2012, 21:49:
A bit more thinking and I'd say that Dragon Age 2 sold manly on name too. Also SW:TOR

There are heaps of games over the years which have sold large at thier launch (not all at same level as Diablo 3, which came out in 2012 so is fresh in your mind)

Your statement "I'm starting to think D3 may have been the first observable game that sold on name and name alone." is just very shallow thinking and I'd say is more about your personal views towards large publishers and games company than anything else.

The fact that it had a '3' in the name make me think that they are keen to use the 'Diablo' name in selling their game or else they may have gone with a name like "Tristram"

Ok then, allow me to rephrase it.

Diablo 3 may have been the first game that contains blatant consumer abuse that sold on name and name alone on the PC.

256 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo