Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Hacking?

A bunch of threads on the Diablo III forums from players who've experienced unauthorized access to their accounts suggest their may be a security issue with the action/RPG sequel or that the game's future support of real-money auctions has attracted more hacking attempts than one would consider normal. The threads in question are: Ummm...all of my gold and items are gone, Hacked. GG Online Only Single Player DRM, Hacked with an authenticator, and The hacker found (with screenshot). Thanks nin.

View
256 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

36. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 13:16 Bhruic

Darks wrote on May 21, 2012, 13:03:
Possibly, but I do know for a fact, and Iím going to say that this is probably the case for some of these people getting hacked that they donít have the option on that says always prompt for your token. I saw this first hand with a fiendís account this weekend when he came over. He logged in and it didnít prompt him to use his authenticator. I told him, turn that on. To dangerous with it like that.

translated from Danish:
Diablo 3 was yesterday the subject of a major hacker attack that has resulted in stolen accounts. The attack was the reason that many European servers were closed for up to four hours.

It grants Blizzard to Eurogamer.net, now that many gamers have complained about the lack of information on the official Battle.net forum.

At the forum, you can see several posts from people who have hacked their account with the result that all gold and all items are removed and transferred to others. Blizzard has backups of the characters from before the hacker attack and is currently working. to roll back the changes. The publisher can not guarantee that some accounts will not be lost forever.

I initially went the rumors on Battle.net forum that the long downtime was due to a SQL attack on Diablo database, but this is neither confirmed nor denied by Blizzard's side.

Reportedly, the hackers could get into accounts that would otherwise be protected by the Blizzard Mobile Authenticator.

Danish Article

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 13:06 ASeven

Bhruic wrote on May 21, 2012, 12:56:
ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 12:49:
Take a look at the many forums around the net where the fanboys most gather and you'll easily find this argument that being online always would prevent any type of hacking and more stupid arguments like that. Therefore I tell to all rabid fanboys, told you so because as you've said it didn't take too much intelligence to see that this would happen.

There is a vast difference between in-game hacking, and account hacking. The people talking about the always on connection preventing hacking were, almost universally, talking about the former. Suggesting an always on connection would stop account hacking would be, quite possibly, the stupidest statement ever made, as the online requirement has no impact on account hacking in any way, shape or form.

Gloating over this and trying to use it to "disprove" the people talking about in-game hacking just makes you look silly and desperate.

Ah well. I suppose I came out way too wrong so I might as well drop this, my point was that though in-game hacking was bad, account hacking is way worse. Having an AH only ensures there'll be a lot of account hacking, something that wasn't too prevalent in past Diablos.

Still, I came out wrong, way too wrong to point this. So, dropping this, I guess I fucked the argument badly enough with a badly made point.

34. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 13:04 Beamer

Bhruic wrote on May 21, 2012, 12:56:
Take a look at the many forums around the net where the fanboys most gather and you'll easily find this argument that being online always would prevent any type of hacking and more stupid arguments like that. Therefore I tell to all rabid fanboys, told you so because as you've said it didn't take too much intelligence to see that this would happen.

There is a vast difference between in-game hacking, and account hacking. The people talking about the always on connection preventing hacking were, almost universally, talking about the former. Suggesting an always on connection would stop account hacking would be, quite possibly, the stupidest statement ever made, as the online requirement has no impact on account hacking in any way, shape or form.

Gloating over this and trying to use it to "disprove" the people talking about in-game hacking just makes you look silly and desperate.

Yeah, arguing that in-game hacking and account hacking is the same thing seems problematic. I don't know if that problem is ASeven or Diablo 3 fans but, honestly, whoever is using the term "hacking" to mean both is an idiot.

Diablo 3 being always online should prevent most forms of in-game hacking, particularly item dupes, because Blizzard will go out of its way to fight any kind of item duping people introduce in order to preserve their new Auction House money stream.
But account hacking is absolutely impossible to prevent because even retina/fingerprint/DNA scanning can be hacked.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 13:03 Darks

Bhruic wrote on May 21, 2012, 12:59:
As for those who are getting hacked. Iím willing to bet you right now that those are the same clowns that visit the Chinese gold farming sites. You log in and most of the time those idiots are using their same email addy and password. Not hard to figure out your pass for the game then. And some are saying that they have a security token. But Iím betting again, many people donít have one which is how and why they are getting hacked.

And not only that, but they were wearing slutty clothing!

Blaming the victim is fun and all, but this is hardly the first situation like this. Rift had a similar problem - people were getting their accounts hacked, even with a validator. People like you popped up claiming it had to be the individual people's fault. Turns out, surprise, surprise, that there was a security hole that hackers had found that completely bypassed the password as well as the validator.

Very likely they'll find some similar security hole here.

Possibly, but I do know for a fact, and Iím going to say that this is probably the case for some of these people getting hacked that they donít have the option on that says always prompt for your token. I saw this first hand with a fiendís account this weekend when he came over. He logged in and it didnít prompt him to use his authenticator. I told him, turn that on. To dangerous with it like that.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

32. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 13:02 Rattlehead

You haters are just as annoying, if not more, than the rabid fanboys you keep detesting. We get it, you hate Blizzard and Diablo 3, yet you can't seem to stop talking about it and somehow wind up on every forum regarding Diablo 3. Nobody cares now go have a wank on the T2 forums already.  

31. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 13:01 MadBoris

I read several of these accounts just surfing for all the cool things about D3, so there must be many more of these.

Apparently it takes merely seconds to empty someone's character of their loot. Let's play the I want money game by providing little to nothing, by Blizzard.

I'm not sure who the bigger thief is but fanboys desire to be controlled and looted by Blizzard, so they definitely deserve it. Idiots who don't learn.

30. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 13:00 ASeven

Darks wrote on May 21, 2012, 12:55:
ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 11:58:
Well, now that the lame excuse of hacking is thrown out of the window we now see why really the DRM is used for: Control over players so Blizzard can make as much cash from the AH.

Anyone who bought this game under the premise this wouldn't be hacked:

WE FUCKING TOLD YOU SO

I can tell you right now that the excuse that Blizz will be making cash from the AH is ridiculous. Has anyone taken a look at the current Gold AH? There is no one making good gold off of it. The AH is flooded with items. Even the Epic items are flooded with the same ones.

People on there trying to extort others with an item for 1.5 Mill, I just laughed at that. No one has that kind of gold this early in the game, people like these ass clowns are a joke. So the next guy undercuts him, to the point where there are so many of the same items on there that the lowest item is on there for 30 or 40K. So far to me the AH is failing.

As for those who are getting hacked. Iím willing to bet you right now that those are the same clowns that visit the Chinese gold farming sites. You log in and most of the time those idiots are using their same email addy and password. Not hard to figure out your pass for the game then. And some are saying that they have a security token. But Iím betting again, many people donít have one which is how and why they are getting hacked.

It's simple though, if there's real money involved, even if it's only the potential to make big bucks, the hackers will turn en masse to the title to try and get their hand on a share of it. How much these kind of hackers will focus on D3 remains to be seen but truth be told if you're a hacker looking to make quick money then hacking D3 accounts seems quite tempting right now.

If the AH flops or not remains to be seen though, I don't think it will though since the attraction of making money out of virtual items is too much for many people who are delusional thinking they will make a lot of money out of this.

This was one of the consequences of monetizing an AH, it will attract seedier people to it. And I do hope Blizz has a lot of security in place because if they prove as inept at security as they proved at providing working servers this past week then I can see a lot more angry shouting from buyers in the future.

29. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 12:59 Bhruic

And not only that, but they were wearing slutty clothing!

Blaming the victim is fun and all, but this is hardly the first situation like this. Rift had a similar problem - people were getting their accounts hacked, even with a validator. People like you popped up claiming it had to be the individual people's fault. Turns out, surprise, surprise, that there was a security hole that hackers had found that completely bypassed the password as well as the validator.

Very likely they'll find some similar security hole here.

28. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 12:56 Bhruic

27. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 12:55 Darks

Well, now that the lame excuse of hacking is thrown out of the window we now see why really the DRM is used for: Control over players so Blizzard can make as much cash from the AH.

WE FUCKING TOLD YOU SO

I can tell you right now that the excuse Blizz will be making cash from the AH is ridiculous. Has anyone taken a look at the current Gold AH? There is no one making good gold off of it. The AH is flooded with items. Even the Epic items are flooded with the same ones.

People on there trying to extort others with an item for 1.5 Mill, I just laughed at that. No one has that kind of gold this early in the game, people like these ass clowns are a joke. So the next guy undercuts him, to the point where there are so many of the same items on there that the lowest item is on there for 30 or 40K. So far to me the AH is failing.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

26. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 12:53 ASeven

Alamar wrote on May 21, 2012, 12:51:
ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 12:21:
Yifes wrote on May 21, 2012, 12:18:

WE FUCKING TOLD YOU SO

Who said this couldn't be hacked or are you just arguing with yourself and winning?

Hmm is this a new tactic from rabid fanboys, denying what they said in the past?

Were you referring to yourself, or the previous poster? : )

Give it a second and let it sink in...

Referring to all rabid fanboys, regardless of their location. D3 seems to have an unusual share of them.

25. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 12:51 Alamar

WE FUCKING TOLD YOU SO

Who said this couldn't be hacked or are you just arguing with yourself and winning?

Hmm is this a new tactic from rabid fanboys, denying what they said in the past?

Were you referring to yourself, or the previous poster? : )

Give it a second and let it sink in...

-Alamar

24. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 12:49 ASeven

Beamer wrote on May 21, 2012, 12:43:

WE FUCKING TOLD YOU SO

Did anyone really ever say "accounts can't be hacked?" Has anyone ever really said that about anything with a basic username/password system? Ever?

I think people meant things like "you won't be able to hack the way you hacked Diablo, meaning you won't be able to download a program that lets you drop a few billion Godly Plate of Whales."

Which still seems somewhat likely. I was surprised to hear there are latency issues in this game - why is it constantly talking to the home server and why isn't standard gameplay done on computer rather than remotely, but it makes sense I guess - no opportunity to hack if nothing is really running on your system.

I still don't think the hacking was an issue, but whatever, I'm not the one trying to monetize an auction house.

23. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 12:47 ASeven

Yifes wrote on May 21, 2012, 12:24:

WE FUCKING TOLD YOU SO

What did I say in the past? You are so delusional, its sad. It's pretty stupid to claim that anything online can't be hacked, so if you are really arguing with someone about that, then congrats on proving them wrong.

Well you're proving that you're the delusional one. Did I mention your name as a rabid fanboy? I was mentioning fanboys as a group without naming names even if it was a quote from you. Though if you had to reply than maybe it's because you feel like one. Congrats, you know deep inside you're a rabid fanboy, it's the first step to get help.

22. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 12:43 Beamer

WE FUCKING TOLD YOU SO

Did anyone really ever say "accounts can't be hacked?" Has anyone ever really said that about anything with a basic username/password system? Ever?

I think people meant things like "you won't be able to hack the way you hacked Diablo, meaning you won't be able to download a program that lets you drop a few billion Godly Plate of Whales."

Which still seems somewhat likely. I was surprised to hear there are latency issues in this game - why is it constantly talking to the home server and why isn't standard gameplay done on computer rather than remotely, but it makes sense I guess - no opportunity to hack if nothing is really running on your system.

I still don't think the hacking was an issue, but whatever, I'm not the one trying to monetize an auction house.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 12:37 DeadlyAccurate

Alamar wrote on May 21, 2012, 12:10:
While it's possible that Blizzard could be at fault, the likelihood is; so does that make me delusional or just educated : )

You're willing to acknowledge the possibility that Blizzard might not be an infallible god. That's more than they're capable of doing.

It's kind of ridiculous that having a unique strong password and staying away from scam places isn't enough to protect your account; that a player has to also use an authenticator or get blamed for not doing enough.

20. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 12:35 SimplyMonk

The Pyro wrote on May 21, 2012, 12:27:
Speculation time!

My turn!

A satanic cult believes that if they amass 666,666,666,666,666,666 gold in Diablo 3 they will be able open their own real life Hell Rift. To accomplish this they've been performing secret blood rites to control people into sending them their login credentials and then deleting all traces of the transaction. People wake with no knowledge of how they got hacked.

19. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 12:27 The Pyro

Speculation time! A botnet brute-forcing random account names w/ random passwords could account for some of this stuff. Blizzard might not even notice the extra traffic given the flood of people trying to log on after release. Having a strong password wouldn't necessarily help; it's just luck of the draw whether your account is compromised or not.  

18. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 12:25 Fantaz

This news comments thread is going to turn in to a chat room...  

17. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 12:24 Yifes

WE FUCKING TOLD YOU SO

What did I say in the past? You are so delusional, its sad. It's pretty stupid to claim that anything online can't be hacked, so if you are really arguing with someone about that, then congrats on proving them wrong.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2012, 12:31.

256 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo