Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Hacking?

A bunch of threads on the Diablo III forums from players who've experienced unauthorized access to their accounts suggest their may be a security issue with the action/RPG sequel or that the game's future support of real-money auctions has attracted more hacking attempts than one would consider normal. The threads in question are: Ummm...all of my gold and items are gone, Hacked. GG Online Only Single Player DRM, Hacked with an authenticator, and The hacker found (with screenshot). Thanks nin.

View
256 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

76. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:48 Flatline

Creston wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:35:
nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:10:

God almighty the level of Blizzard cocksucking on that forum is truly reaching never-before seen levels.

Almost like when Mass Effect 3 came out...

I honestly think Blizzard's fanboys are far, FAR exceeding Bioware's ones. 90% of Bioware's forum agreed that the ME3 ending was absolute horseshit. Do you think that 90% of Blizzard fanboys agree that the state in which D3 was launched is horseshit?

Creston

I'll go one further. The game itself is horseshit. Seriously if I was reviewing it I'd give it a 6.

1. Limited bad guy selections. I'm ending act 2 and still killing skeletons??? There's like six types of bad guys per act, none of which are particularly interesting visually.

2. Uninspiring levels. Act 3 might kick things up a notch but the first "oooh cool!" scenery moment was the very end of Act 2 (okay, the Oasis was pretty cool, but that was the end of act 2 anyway). Act 1 felt like someone put a "gloom" filter over everything, which might have been cool but it washed out all the detail it seems like.

3. Shallow skill system- Everyone I've talked to says that they stumbled into a basic skill combination and never deviated from it for the rest of the game. They'd try out new abilities and say f*ck it and go back to the old ones. The skill system and the cooloff timer for selected skills means you're never going to be gearing up for a situational combat, so there's no point in ever varying. If you're in a group you can change a few things up, but even then you're basically being inefficient to be novel.

4. It's just... not fucking fun. I've put hours into the game and can count the number of real "fights" that were mildly interesting on one hand. I'm waiting for the fun to start. The only two reasons why I kept playing was that A: The plot never really "pauses" and it encourages you to keep playing and B: The loot drops turn you into a f*cking Skinner rat hitting the bar to get a food pellet. I actually feel kind of dirty after playing D3. I haven't had fun, I haven't been particularly entertained, but I kept playing it anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

75. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:46 nin

Flatline wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:26:
Sugarman wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:23:
He showed me the other character when we all played at my office "yes, I have 4 gaming pc's in my office at my Sports Bar". His original character was pretty new so the reason nothing was taken was probably because he didn't have anything worth taking. I told him to make sure to get the most updated antivirus and scan his main pc for adware/spyware/virii, ect... Also made sure he changed his account password and his email account password, just in case it was hacked as well.

I'd also go to bleepingcomputer and download combofix and run a scan for a rootkit.

I've noticed the majority of viruses I'm dealing with these days are rootkits and not normal "viruses". I almost never see a traditional virus any more. Just malware and rootkits.

I want to say the times I tried combofix here at work, it tore up more shit than it fixed...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

74. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:42 Dev

I wonder if activision pays some of the fanboys to go around posting that stuff. I know that there are real life people who are really genuinely that rabid about blizzard, but it wouldn't surprise me if some are paid too.  

73. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:40 Sugarman

In response to Flatline, try using HitmanPro, it's a cloud based antispyware and one of the best at finding malware, rootkits, spyware.  

72. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:37 Creston

Bhruic wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:15:
Creston wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:04:
Someone said something to the effect that authenticators can easily be compromised if the main algorithm is broken. This is exactly what happened to RSA, causing them to have to replace tens of millions of tokens for free.

And some Blizzard fanboy actually posted "That's because RSA has shitty coders, unlike Blizzard's elite ones."

I... what... no...

As you can't see sarcasm on the internet, I'm going to assume that's what the poster was going for. That, or maximum trolling. No way that's serious.

No, that was 100% serious. Because it was from a troll who'd been posting shit for page after page after page about how it was all people's own fault, and they should get an authenticator, and that everyone who had an authenticator and claimed to have been hacked was lying about having one, etc. This guy was serious. He's the one-man Blizzard Reputation Protector.

Creston

71. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:35 Creston

nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:10:

God almighty the level of Blizzard cocksucking on that forum is truly reaching never-before seen levels.

I honestly think Blizzard's fanboys are far, FAR exceeding Bioware's ones. 90% of Bioware's forum agreed that the ME3 ending was absolute horseshit. Do you think that 90% of Blizzard fanboys agree that the state in which D3 was launched is horseshit?

Creston

70. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:32 Sugarman

I agree Flatline, I was a systems admin for over 10 years and I still fix pc's and do onsite calls. Almost everything I find is exactly what you described.  

69. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:26 Flatline

Sugarman wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:23:
He showed me the other character when we all played at my office "yes, I have 4 gaming pc's in my office at my Sports Bar". His original character was pretty new so the reason nothing was taken was probably because he didn't have anything worth taking. I told him to make sure to get the most updated antivirus and scan his main pc for adware/spyware/virii, ect... Also made sure he changed his account password and his email account password, just in case it was hacked as well.

I'd also go to bleepingcomputer and download combofix and run a scan for a rootkit.

I've noticed the majority of viruses I'm dealing with these days are rootkits and not normal "viruses". I almost never see a traditional virus any more. Just malware and rootkits.

68. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:24 Flatline

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:10:
Flatline wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:02:
I'm actually willing to go with this moreso than the insider idea I have had haunting me for years (I make a horrible conspiracy nut).
That's not a conspiracy theory. Your security is only as strong as it's weakest link, in blizzards case this is CS and the possibility that someone is feeding out account info. Way back when I was still in a computer related job, back about oh 8 years ago, there was a guy in our ITsec division at the time who was stealing and selling some of the usernames and passwords from one of the server clusters we were managing. Never did find out what the server was for, I was way far too down to work at it then.

I'm glad I don't look crazy for saying that. I work with IT for a living and while it's possible some kookie virus managed to infect a machine that was 45 minutes old and fish my battle.net password, it's unlikely. The clincher would have been if I had an authenticator, but I didn't.

The odd thing is that I had a friend working CS there for many years (and subsequently got fired during the great CS culling of six months ago or whenever it was) and from what she said it'd be difficult but not impossible. All you have to do is figure out a way around the monitoring system, or have your supervisor in on it.

67. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:23 Sugarman

66. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:19 nin

Sugarman wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:14:
My buddy's account got hacked, he can still log on but noticed he had another character that was at lvl 9 already, then the next day this other character had leveled up a few more levels, nothing was stolen from his original character, the hacker was just getting on and playing his account.

If that's true (and I'm not doubting you, I'm just not sure how they're doing it) b.net has a major hole...

Blizzard's continued silence today is also troubling.

65. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:15 Bhruic

Someone said something to the effect that authenticators can easily be compromised if the main algorithm is broken. This is exactly what happened to RSA, causing them to have to replace tens of millions of tokens for free.

And some Blizzard fanboy actually posted "That's because RSA has shitty coders, unlike Blizzard's elite ones."

I... what... no...

As you can't see sarcasm on the internet, I'm going to assume that's what the poster was going for. That, or maximum trolling. No way that's serious.

64. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:14 Sugarman

My buddy's account got hacked, he can still log on but noticed he had another character that was at lvl 9 already, then the next day this other character had leveled up a few more levels, nothing was stolen from his original character, the hacker was just getting on and playing his account.  

63. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:10 Mashiki Amiketo

Flatline wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:02:
I'm actually willing to go with this moreso than the insider idea I have had haunting me for years (I make a horrible conspiracy nut).
That's not a conspiracy theory. Your security is only as strong as it's weakest link, in blizzards case this is CS and the possibility that someone is feeding out account info. Way back when I was still in a computer related job, back about oh 8 years ago, there was a guy in our ITsec division at the time who was stealing and selling some of the usernames and passwords from one of the server clusters we were managing. Never did find out what the server was for, I was way far too down to work at it then.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

62. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:10 nin

61. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:08 SimplyMonk

ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:07:
I... what... no...
Fuck this world. Sometimes.
"I don't want to live on this planet anymore."

60. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:07 ASeven

I... what... no...

:o

Fuck this world. Sometimes.

59. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:04 Creston

I... what... no...

Creston

58. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:02 Flatline

nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 14:48:
Fantaz wrote on May 21, 2012, 14:42:
oh crap, i asked my friend and looks like it happened to him. he logged in and all his gold his gone this morning...

Honestly I've heard a theory of them hijacking existing play sessions based on a unique ID, thus bypassing the auth.

If that's the case, and the IDs are in some sort of order, logging in might expose you.

Total theory with nothing to back it up however...but I'm a little paranoid to play right now.

57. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 14:56 Creston

Btw, for those of you who are suffering from this issue, try this :

Found out the issue, isn't actually a "hacked" more so a server change.

Go into options > Account and change the region to what you were using originally. Sometimes the update changes the server that you use to log in to.

I changed from Europe back to my original "The Americas" and got all of my stuff back.

I've seen that posted on their forum in several places.

Creston

256 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo