Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Hacking?

A bunch of threads on the Diablo III forums from players who've experienced unauthorized access to their accounts suggest their may be a security issue with the action/RPG sequel or that the game's future support of real-money auctions has attracted more hacking attempts than one would consider normal. The threads in question are: Ummm...all of my gold and items are gone, Hacked. GG Online Only Single Player DRM, Hacked with an authenticator, and The hacker found (with screenshot). Thanks nin.

View
256 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

96. General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 17:23 Verno

Yifes wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:10:
I don't think any of the loot is worthwhile until you hit lvl 60. It's like wow, where a high level uncommon item will beat any low level rare/legendary item. Seriously, who will pay money for an item that will be replaced 10 levels down the road with a better one?

Responding to this one bit and also just adding some general complaints about D3. The loot is really boring at 60 too. The modifiers are boring, the procs are very small percentile chances and there don't appear to be things that give abilities beyond stuff like "bleeds target for 15-17 dmg over 3 seconds". Diablo 2 had much better loot quality even at release, let alone with the 1.10 stuff. The lack of runeword loot is especially telling, most classes basically just stack their main stat/vitality and this rarely changes regardless of what level you are. When you get to Hell you start adding resist as a filter to the AH and thats about it. Most legendaries are worse than moderately rolled blues with main stat/vit which is really discouraging for people who like finding rare and interesting stuff. I've amassed a huge pile of gold already and have little to spend it on.

It makes doing Inferno a very tedious grind. All of the hoopla about how much more flexible this skill/rune system was overplayed, each class has less than a handful of builds that work in Inferno, everything else lacks the survivability. A friend of mine is a Wizard who came up with a specific Force Armor build that depends on low Vit but we expect it'll be counted as an exploit and nerfed shortly. This isn't apparent on Normal/Nightmare since you can DPS everything down before it can touch you. The harder difficulties aren't really harder per se, just more unforgiving in that mobs hit so hard you can never get really get hit so that becomes the metagame. It's a bummer because the new skill system has really interesting combos but most only work in Normal and Nightmare.

The maps were a lot smaller and more linear as well, I was a bit let down here as I was expecting the game world itself to be much more engrossing after this long wait. Sure that's partly my expectations but still, acts 3 and 4 were pretty damned short. The zone repetition between this and D2 was also a bit confusing. I thought I was having deja vu when I revisited a desert, some sewers, an oasis, a keep under siege and so on.

Anyways I enjoyed D3 but its going to need a lot of changes to have the sort of replay value D2 did. I think the decisions to balance around the AH are what is screwing them. Diablo is all about collecting crazy and interesting loot, if you remove that you're just basically left with the bare skinner box. Given the lack of PvP right now I'm not sure why anything needs to be balanced like an MMO anyway. I've gotten my moneys worth and then some so I have no regrets but I am really disappointed they have missed out on so many of the basics.

Regarding the graphics: it's a Blizzard game. After seeing WOW and Diablo 2, were you expecting something better?

Graphically I had no complaints, I thought everything was stylish and interesting in that regard. The levels really come alive with the physics engine too, they did a great job. The soundtrack was totally forgettable though. It'll be interesting to see what the first content patch brings about, I hope they drastically redo the loot tables and add the ability to skip their silly cutscenes before bosses (thats a Chris Metzen WoW thing if I ever saw one).

This comment was edited on May 21, 2012, 17:37.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

95. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 17:10 Yifes

RollinThundr wrote on May 21, 2012, 16:54:
I think this post is spot on, I did cave and get it, I still think the graphics are substandard ala 2006, the plot is so predictable its laughable, and the way they've handled items in the sense that rares are better than legendary/set items when legendary and set items drop about .00000000001% of the time to encourage the use of the AH is just about as bad a design decision you can make.

Now people's accounts are getting hacked, so much for that "secure" online only protection eh blizzard? How long before dupes start showing up on the AH? Any minute now?

Fact of the matter is, as addictive as loot hunting is, the game itself is pretty mediocre aside from the cinematics.

I don't think any of the loot is worthwhile until you hit lvl 60. It's like wow, where a high level uncommon item will beat any low level rare/legendary item. Seriously, who will pay money for an item that will be replaced 10 levels down the road with a better one?

Regarding the graphics: it's a Blizzard game. After seeing WOW and Diablo 2, were you expecting something better?

94. Re: I wish someone would hack the minimap... May 21, 2012, 17:07 panbient

JohnBirshire wrote on May 21, 2012, 16:17:
The minimap is so atrociously large, I almost quit playing. Can't believe it got through beta at it's current size. It is atrociously large, and with no option to change it's size it is currently 4 times bigger than any other game.

4 times bigger than any other game = the first time I've found a minimap useful in years. What's the point of a minimap the size of a quarter? You either have no range or no definition.

Or maybe you just need a new (bigger) monitor. It'll make you happy - it's what new monitors do.

93. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 17:05 Yifes

MadBoris wrote on May 21, 2012, 16:49:
Let me see if I am keeping count on how the gamer benefits from all of this...

Some Cons?

Your list of cons pretty much focuses on server issues, which is expected at launch. Aside from lag and downtime, your list does not represent typical gameplay experience of the people I know who own the game.

The game itself is better than Diablo 2 IMO, but I've never been a huge D2 fan. Took around 18 hours to co-op with some friends, ran into an hour of server downtime, and had some rubber banding which was solved by relogging into the server.

92. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 16:54 RollinThundr

Flatline wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:48:
Creston wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:35:
nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:10:

God almighty the level of Blizzard cocksucking on that forum is truly reaching never-before seen levels.

Almost like when Mass Effect 3 came out...

I honestly think Blizzard's fanboys are far, FAR exceeding Bioware's ones. 90% of Bioware's forum agreed that the ME3 ending was absolute horseshit. Do you think that 90% of Blizzard fanboys agree that the state in which D3 was launched is horseshit?

Creston

I'll go one further. The game itself is horseshit. Seriously if I was reviewing it I'd give it a 6.

1. Limited bad guy selections. I'm ending act 2 and still killing skeletons??? There's like six types of bad guys per act, none of which are particularly interesting visually.

2. Uninspiring levels. Act 3 might kick things up a notch but the first "oooh cool!" scenery moment was the very end of Act 2 (okay, the Oasis was pretty cool, but that was the end of act 2 anyway). Act 1 felt like someone put a "gloom" filter over everything, which might have been cool but it washed out all the detail it seems like.

3. Shallow skill system- Everyone I've talked to says that they stumbled into a basic skill combination and never deviated from it for the rest of the game. They'd try out new abilities and say f*ck it and go back to the old ones. The skill system and the cooloff timer for selected skills means you're never going to be gearing up for a situational combat, so there's no point in ever varying. If you're in a group you can change a few things up, but even then you're basically being inefficient to be novel.

4. It's just... not fucking fun. I've put hours into the game and can count the number of real "fights" that were mildly interesting on one hand. I'm waiting for the fun to start. The only two reasons why I kept playing was that A: The plot never really "pauses" and it encourages you to keep playing and B: The loot drops turn you into a f*cking Skinner rat hitting the bar to get a food pellet. I actually feel kind of dirty after playing D3. I haven't had fun, I haven't been particularly entertained, but I kept playing it anyway.

I think this post is spot on, I did cave and get it, I still think the graphics are substandard ala 2006, the plot is so predictable its laughable, and the way they've handled items in the sense that rares are better than legendary/set items when legendary and set items drop about .00000000001% of the time to encourage the use of the AH is just about as bad a design decision you can make.

Now people's accounts are getting hacked, so much for that "secure" online only protection eh blizzard? How long before dupes start showing up on the AH? Any minute now?

Fact of the matter is, as addictive as loot hunting is, the game itself is pretty mediocre aside from the cinematics.

91. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 16:52 avianflu

the auction house mechanism that is tied to credit cards is -- and will continue to be -- a hyper magnet to hackers.  

90. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 16:49 MadBoris

Let me see if I am keeping count on how the gamer benefits from all of this...

Some Cons?
  • One of the most expensive PC games.
  • No Offline Single Player, at the mercy of Blizzards servers, schedules and desire to keep the servers operational into the future.
  • People randomly lose characters and many hours of progress. (randomly means can to anyone at anytime)
  • People randomly lose achievements that hinder progression. (randomly means can to anyone at anytime)
  • People get randomly kicked out of their game they are playing alone, sometimes in the middle of a boss fight as some reviewer experienced.
  • Many people experience rubber band lag with teleporting enemies, for some this is ridiculous in this day to have that kind of performance in a single player component of a game.
  • People cannot play whenever they want, it must coincide with Blizzard Battle.net uptime.
  • Many people are waiting for this fiasco of random issues to be patched/fixed before playing the game further.
  • Some say it lost the pull you back in of previous Diablo games, something very palpable called gaming magic.
  • "When it's done" = in MMO terms I guess it's always done and yet isn't, obviously this isn't with no PVP and no RMAH, promised, but later extended to finish them.
  • People are now getting their battle.net accounts hacked for the express purpose of stealing their loot, in seconds. People that get back into their account find an empty character, at best.
  • Graphics resources kept within console resource limits by way of some decent art tricks, some say it looks quite dated.

• Some Benefits?
  • Graphics resources kept within console resource limits by way of some decent art tricks, some say it's the most amazing graphics they have ever seen, fps performance is high.
  • No cheats in the PVP game, "done when it isn't".
  • No Hacking. Although the game will be available for free shortly, maybe better network quality than battle.net.
  • A place to buy and sell loot for real money while Blizzard takes a percentage (recently announced ofcourse), "done when it isn't". (which many people say takes away from the excitement of looting when nothing drops for an hour even close to that measly purchase.)
  • Some of the problems may be getting better, though questionable.
  • This is considered advancement.

• There is very little good reason to defend this.
    Much has changed in recent years, but even five years ago the PC gamers with spines would have crucified a bug ridden release like this, regardless who their name was, not give it 90's and above in reviews.
    To see the reviews of this game is disgusting, a disservice to unknowing customers.

89. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 16:49 PropheT

I'll go one further. The game itself is horseshit. Seriously if I was reviewing it I'd give it a 6.

Had a LAN party on Saturday, and all four of us pretty much said at the end of it that it was the most fun we've had with a game in a LONG time. I've been playing the crap out of it, and I'm still enjoying it as much now as when I first picked it up.

To each his own, I guess. Once you get up to level 30 and have every slot unlocked, you can use the skill system to turn a character into something completely different if you want to...and changing abilities for situational purposes is extremely useful regardless of the class from what I've seen.

If you're not having fun, though, stop playing it. It's a great game, but that doesn't mean everyone has to like it...if you don't, find something you do instead.

88. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 16:47 RollinThundr

88 Post in and Krowen isn't here yet White Knighting Blizzard? C'mon Kro! Blizzard is counting on you to defend them!  

87. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 16:40 jacobvandy

I've put hours into the game and can count the number of real "fights" that were mildly interesting on one hand. I'm waiting for the fun to start. The only two reasons why I kept playing was that A: The plot never really "pauses" and it encourages you to keep playing and B: The loot drops turn you into a f*cking Skinner rat hitting the bar to get a food pellet. I actually feel kind of dirty after playing D3. I haven't had fun, I haven't been particularly entertained, but I kept playing it anyway.

Normal mode (level 1-30ish) is hold-your-hand-and-enjoy-the-story mode. You need to get at least to Nightmare for any sort of challenge, and it keeps upping the ante by the same degree for Hell and Inferno. There comes a point where the boss fights are easy peasy compared to random elite/champ encounters with combinations of special abilities that will require more effort than clicking and holding until they die. Come away from a fight with a group of Vortex/Plagueds or Jailer/Desecrator/Vampirics or Shielding/Invulnerable Minions/Molten/Arcane Enchanteds and tell me that wasn't at least "mildly interesting."

But if you don't find playing through the same game several times with the same character to get to the really rewarding parts, hunting for random loot, etc. particularly enjoyable, maybe classic ARPGs aren't for you.

86. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 16:30 Yifes

Flatline wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:59:
    Blizzard is drunk with it's own success. Diablo 3 took 12 years to come out. It's been developed for the last... let's say 5 years. That's f*cking insane for as derivative of a game as it is. Until you look at Starcraft 2, which is just starcraft 1 with a graphics engine overhaul, and how many years that took, and how long it's taking to create an *expansion pack* for the stupid f*cking game.

They have *so* much money thanks to WoW that they're turning into the George Lucas of video games: they're insulated, bloated, slow, and out of touch. They're basically pillaging the same 3 IPs that they've had for 20 years now, and the efforts are getting more and more derivative.

Blizzard needs to have one or two really good failures in the industry to make it hungry again. To remind them that they *can* and *do* fuck up.

Sadly, that's not going to happen any time soon.

Pretty poor analogy. George Lucas' prequels failed because they deviated so far from the original trilogy. You may call Starcraft II and Diablo 3 derivative, but they stay true to the formulas that made them so popular in the first place. That's the whole point of a sequel.

Blizzard has NEVER re-invented the wheel. They have always taken other people's and their own ideas, and polished them to a level that no other company can match. That is why they are successful, and so far, they have not failed.

85. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 16:22 AnointedSword

Some of you guys have legit problems, concerns, but what do you do? You cry and moan about it. How about taking the time out to write blizzard about it. They are one of the best companies out there if you like it or not. They have wonderful customer service (experience of majority of players that play their games) and they also take feedback. I have seen lessor companies blow people off...  
    If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

84. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 16:19 AnointedSword

I have come to the conclusion that most people here are talking from their arm chair developers stand point. In other words, complain about everything and do nothing...There you have it. Remember I said most, not all!:)  
    If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

83. I wish someone would hack the minimap... May 21, 2012, 16:17 JohnBirshire

The minimap is so atrociously large, I almost quit playing. Can't believe it got through beta at it's current size. It is atrociously large, and with no option to change it's size it is currently 4 times bigger than any other game.  

82. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:59 Flatline

deqer wrote on May 21, 2012, 13:25:
    Rattlehead wrote on May 21, 2012, 13:02:
    You haters are just as annoying, if not more, than the rabid fanboys you keep detesting. We get it, you hate Blizzard and Diablo 3, yet you can't seem to stop talking about it and somehow wind up on every forum regarding Diablo 3. Nobody cares now go have a wank on the T2 forums already.
    LOL. Sorry, I laughed.

I don't think it's about "Hate Blizzard"; it's about "Hate Corporations"

When will you people start to SEE that Blizzard is turning into EA; or any other big company that is just in it for the money. The money!

The truth hurts, therefore many find hard to accept it and even try not to accept it. The truth has been fluffed up with excuses, therefore many are deceived.

Blizzard is at a stage now where they just want to pump out the games for the monies, and since their reputation is so high--they know it is--they feel they can push out random crap--built by random devs--to the people; and people bought it. Any original dev that brought his passion to the table, was fired--because it didn't serve the purpose of making money.

Here is proof that Diablo 3 is just a random game, built by random devs: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5235705700

It's not even necessarily anti-corporation.

Blizzard is drunk with it's own success. Diablo 3 took 12 years to come out. It's been developed for the last... let's say 5 years. That's f*cking insane for as derivative of a game as it is. Until you look at Starcraft 2, which is just starcraft 1 with a graphics engine overhaul, and how many years that took, and how long it's taking to create an *expansion pack* for the stupid f*cking game.

They have *so* much money thanks to WoW that they're turning into the George Lucas of video games: they're insulated, bloated, slow, and out of touch. They're basically pillaging the same 3 IPs that they've had for 20 years now, and the efforts are getting more and more derivative.

Blizzard needs to have one or two really good failures in the industry to make it hungry again. To remind them that they *can* and *do* fuck up.

Sadly, that's not going to happen any time soon.

81. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:57 MadBoris

Creston wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:53:
    Dev wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:42:
    I wonder if activision pays some of the fanboys to go around posting that stuff. I know that there are real life people who are really genuinely that rabid about blizzard, but it wouldn't surprise me if some are paid too.

I doubt even Bobby Kotick is dumb enough to actively antagonize his customers. That sort of behavior NEVER leads to anything good in the end.

Creeston

Religions don't need to pay people to follow or speak on their behalf, they just follow, some the more arduously.

Same psychological mindset just different focus.

80. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:53 Creston

Dev wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:42:
    I wonder if activision pays some of the fanboys to go around posting that stuff. I know that there are real life people who are really genuinely that rabid about blizzard, but it wouldn't surprise me if some are paid too.

I doubt even Bobby Kotick is dumb enough to actively antagonize his customers. That sort of behavior NEVER leads to anything good in the end.

Creeston

79. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:51 Creston

nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:46:
    Flatline wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:26:
    Sugarman wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:23:
    He showed me the other character when we all played at my office "yes, I have 4 gaming pc's in my office at my Sports Bar". His original character was pretty new so the reason nothing was taken was probably because he didn't have anything worth taking. I told him to make sure to get the most updated antivirus and scan his main pc for adware/spyware/virii, ect... Also made sure he changed his account password and his email account password, just in case it was hacked as well.

I'd also go to bleepingcomputer and download combofix and run a scan for a rootkit.

I've noticed the majority of viruses I'm dealing with these days are rootkits and not normal "viruses". I almost never see a traditional virus any more. Just malware and rootkits.

I want to say the times I tried combofix here at work, it tore up more shit than it fixed...

I only ever use combofix on a computer when malwarebytes and a decent anti-virus scanner can't do anything. Combofix is VERY aggressive in nuking stuff, and it actually WARNS you beforehand to have the recovery console installed because of that.

That said, I've had combofix clean a computer I'd already slated for reimage multiple times. It's definitely a very powerful tool to use as a last resort.

Creston

78. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:50 Flatline

nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:46:
    Flatline wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:26:
    Sugarman wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:23:
    He showed me the other character when we all played at my office "yes, I have 4 gaming pc's in my office at my Sports Bar". His original character was pretty new so the reason nothing was taken was probably because he didn't have anything worth taking. I told him to make sure to get the most updated antivirus and scan his main pc for adware/spyware/virii, ect... Also made sure he changed his account password and his email account password, just in case it was hacked as well.

I'd also go to bleepingcomputer and download combofix and run a scan for a rootkit.

I've noticed the majority of viruses I'm dealing with these days are rootkits and not normal "viruses". I almost never see a traditional virus any more. Just malware and rootkits.

I want to say the times I tried combofix here at work, it tore up more shit than it fixed...

Seriously? The only time it fucked shit up for me was one particular bug it'd clean out but the clock would revert to 24 hour time and never go back.

I've used it dozens of times without issue.

77. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 15:49 MadBoris

deqer wrote on May 21, 2012, 13:25:
    Rattlehead wrote on May 21, 2012, 13:02:
    You haters are just as annoying, if not more, than the rabid fanboys you keep detesting. We get it, you hate Blizzard and Diablo 3, yet you can't seem to stop talking about it and somehow wind up on every forum regarding Diablo 3. Nobody cares now go have a wank on the T2 forums already.
    LOL. Sorry, I laughed.

I don't think it's about "Hate Blizzard"; it's about "Hate Corporations"

When will you people start to SEE that Blizzard is turning into EA; or any other big company that is just in it for the money. The money!

The truth hurts, therefore many find hard to accept it and even try not to accept it. The truth has been fluffed up with excuses, therefore many are deceived.

Blizzard is at a stage now where they just want to pump out the games for the monies, and since their reputation is so high--they know it is--they feel they can push out random crap--built by random devs--to the people; and people bought it. Any original dev that brought his passion to the table, was fired--because it didn't serve the purpose of making money.

Here is proof that Diablo 3 is just a random game, built by random devs: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5235705700

I don't believe that Blizzard thinks about making the most amazing game first in priority, I think they make the financial model first and build a game around it. Atleast the one's actually making the decisions.
    It reminds me of Las Vegas, the house has a new game, fun? Yes. Do you lose higher percentage? Yes.

Is it making some people wealthy as they live real non-digital lives? Yes.
    Have children always been the easiest to con and manipulate? Yes.
    Is that good for entertainment purposes and making amazing game experiences? Absolutely Not.

They are getting away from making good games to making video slot machines, with a lot of the psychology gimmicks that make gaming a bit disgusting. Manipulating those with addictive tendencies, capitalizing on it, more so than other devs.

Now they are building some twisted new avenues in a 'game' for people to steal other people's many hours invested of game progress. Which I'm sure would affect anyone in their real world life quite a bit, in a 'entertaining game' of their own making.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2012, 15:54.

256 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 9.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo