Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Hacking?

A bunch of threads on the Diablo III forums from players who've experienced unauthorized access to their accounts suggest their may be a security issue with the action/RPG sequel or that the game's future support of real-money auctions has attracted more hacking attempts than one would consider normal. The threads in question are: Ummm...all of my gold and items are gone, Hacked. GG Online Only Single Player DRM, Hacked with an authenticator, and The hacker found (with screenshot). Thanks nin.

View
256 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

116. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 18:42 Cutter

ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:09:
Creston wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:01:
ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:45:
Dude, you do know there is more than enough proof out there that publishers do hire shills to post in forums, right?

There is a MASSIVE difference between paying shills to sing your praises, and paying people to actively call your customers who are suffering from a legitimate issue a "moron" and telling them "it's your own damn fault."

There's not a single human being alive who would think that the latter is doing smart business. And for all how we hate Bobby and his ilk, and for all how he's basically ruined Activision from a gamer's perspective, the man DOES know how to make money, and he's a fairly savvy business man.

He would not hire people to actively antagonize his own customers.

Actually shills do that. Trolling is a valid tactic of misdirecting attention from a game's problems. Heck, remember that shill that was caught a few months ago, was even news here? He primarily trolled TOR threads that were negative and he wasn't gentle about it.

Trolling has become a valid shilling tactic because a) it diverts attention from the problem at hand and b) it makes people talk about the game more than just complementing. Is it smart business? Not by a long shot but it's the awful corporate world we have today.

That's entirely correct. The idea being to shift the blame away from the developer/publisher and make it seem as if its the originl complainant's fault. Anything but but admit culpability or take responsibility for the problems becuase that legally puts them behind the eight ball. Far cheaper and easier to just hire shills instead to sing your praises and attack your detractors. Oh yes, it's very much par for the course with companies like that these days.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

115. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 18:38 panbient

Beamer wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:53:
- Lack of enemy variety (though this is coming from a source that isn't seeming too valid here)

I just counted 57 classes of enemies according to the guide book with multiple variants if they repeat in different acts. A class like the Skeleton has multiple variants for classes as well like Summoner or Shield Bearer.

I'm happy with the variety, but after having played Starcraft2 I wasn't expecting them to re-invent the wheel, just shine it up a bunch.

Though, my one complaint so far is the horrible introduction for the boss of Act1. I mean really, with all the foreshadowing leading the player one way, you get to the transition and it tells you exactly who you're fighting. Then you get in the room and you have to listen to a cheesy goth Mad Moxxi wannabe introduce... THE BOSS. Again.

Really though, renaming the transition to 'The Boss' Lair' or something similar, then an initially pitch black room and just 3 key words would have made that particular event (which struck me as an obvious nod to the old school) SO. MUCH. BETTER.

114. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 18:32 Burrito of Peace

deqer wrote on May 21, 2012, 11:58:
...no genius, he's playing it on his computer that he can afford--he's not a lifeless turd like you living out of your mom's basement having no bills to pay and saving up $ for the best computer on the market because you don't spend $ on anything else because your mom covers it you fat ugly gamer lifer nerd whos a virgin to real life and the only power you have is typing on internet forums belittling others that don't spend $2,000 on a computer like you.

I take umbrage to this statement. Having a fair bit of disposable cash to do with as you please doesn't necessarily equate to a familial living arrangement, poor health, unfavorable aesthetics or reproductive inactivity.

It just makes you sound extremely, and pitifully, bitter toward those who have greater financial means than yourself. In fact, even the single sentence snark doesn't justify a run-on diatribe of that length.

Besides, Diablo 3 rules in co-op. In fact, it's probably the greatest multiplayer game ever invented.

113. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 18:32 Orogogus

MadBoris wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:27:
Orogogus wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:14:
I don't know that it's even to keep it within console limits.

It is within those limits, whether 'to' keep them or not is opinion.
Blizzard isn't foolish they won't redo all assets (been saying that for 7 years). Maybe people will understand their skill system/control decisions better when it fits well on console. They said they are interested.

Stick around and watch their desires to put it on console turn into actual reality, then you will know.

None of their games have pushed the graphical envelope when they launched. Even for PC-only games, lower system requirements mean a wider potential market, especially when the gameplay is as easy to get into as Blizzard's offerings, and when the respective genres don't play well to photorealism in the first place.

112. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 18:27 MadBoris

Orogogus wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:14:
I don't know that it's even to keep it within console limits.

It is within those limits, whether 'to' keep them or not is opinion.
Blizzard isn't foolish they won't redo all assets (been saying that for 7 years). Maybe people will understand their skill system/control decisions better when it fits well on console. They said they are interested.

Stick around and watch their desires to put it on console turn into actual reality, then you will know.

111. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 18:26 Yifes

Flatline wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:20:
Also, for saying "there's going to be server problems, that's to be expected", I ask... "Why is that expected?" These guys, as you point out, ran 12 million players over dozens of servers for years and years. The one thing I'd *expect* them to be really good at *is* server side shit.

No other game has to deal with the enormous popularity and peak day 1 demand of diablo 3. 12 million players in WOW was a gradual thing; they didn't launch and have 12 million people playing from the start.

The fact that they got their shit together and servers actually worked this weekend is already surprising.

110. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 18:20 Flatline

Drezden wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:57:
I want to know where half of you get your information about "Server downtime" for D3.
Other than midnight release, and an hour or two later that day I have witnessed ZERO downtime for D3. A quick server reboot to fix something here and there? Yes. The other night they gave a 5 minute warning for a server shutdown. I disconnected, reconnected 2 minutes later and was playing.

I'd much rather have this for fixing problems than waiting 3 or 4 months for a Patch that may or may not fix shit and causes more problems (I'm looking at Battlefield 3 on this one, a game that requires you to own Origin but doesn't utilize the fact that they could patch fixes more often with it)

I've seen 3-4 extended downtimes, including one last week that was a 15 minute scheduled downtime that turned into 3 hours or so. At peak time (6pm pacific, 9 eastern, pretty f*cking prime time).

Also, for saying "there's going to be server problems, that's to be expected", I ask... "Why is that expected?" These guys, as you point out, ran 12 million players over dozens of servers for years and years. The one thing I'd *expect* them to be really good at *is* server side shit.

109. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 18:14 Orogogus

eunichron wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:08:
MadBoris wrote on May 21, 2012, 16:49:
  • Graphics resources kept within console resource limits by way of some decent art tricks, some say it's the most amazing graphics they have ever seen, fps performance is high.

• While the graphics aren't technically advanced, Blizzard has always had great artists that are able to hide that fact.

I don't know that it's even to keep it within console limits. Historically WoW, Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft were not resource-intensive games, and were able to run on a huge number of budget computers (although I gather that at some point WoW became more of a computer hog). When Starcraft came out my aging system was able to run the gameplay fine, but choked on the cutscenes.

108. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 18:09 ASeven

Creston wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:01:
    Dude, you do know there is more than enough proof out there that publishers do hire shills to post in forums, right?

There is a MASSIVE difference between paying shills to sing your praises, and paying people to actively call your customers who are suffering from a legitimate issue a "moron" and telling them "it's your own damn fault."

There's not a single human being alive who would think that the latter is doing smart business. And for all how we hate Bobby and his ilk, and for all how he's basically ruined Activision from a gamer's perspective, the man DOES know how to make money, and he's a fairly savvy business man.

Actually shills do that. Trolling is a valid tactic of misdirecting attention from a game's problems. Heck, remember that shill that was caught a few months ago, was even news here? He primarily trolled TOR threads that were negative and he wasn't gentle about it.

Trolling has become a valid shilling tactic because a) it diverts attention from the problem at hand and b) it makes people talk about the game more than just complementing. Is it smart business? Not by a long shot but it's the awful corporate world we have today.

107. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 18:08 eunichron

MadBoris wrote on May 21, 2012, 16:49:
    Let me see if I am keeping count on how the gamer benefits from all of this...

Some Cons?
  • One of the most expensive PC games.

• How is this a complaint? $59.99 has been the standard price for big-budget games, console and PC, for years. If they had charged $69.99 for the standard edition then I would understand, but they're not. I look on Steam and Origin right now and I see Skyrim: $59.99, Black Ops 2: $59.99, Battlefield 3: $59.99, Crysis 3: $59.99, Medal of Honor: Warfighter: $59.99, C&C: Generals 2: $59.99. The only games that are $50 or less are lower budget titles from no-name studios, or indie games. This argument makes no sense, it's just grasping. If you're going to complain about the price, then complain about the price of PC games in general, don't hold it against a specific title.

• Graphics resources kept within console resource limits by way of some decent art tricks, some say it's the most amazing graphics they have ever seen, fps performance is high.

• While the graphics aren't technically advanced, Blizzard has always had great artists that are able to hide that fact.

106. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 18:06 Overon

When you have real money in play, then you are really motivating the hackers to look for exploits to make real money.  

105. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 18:02 MattyC

ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:43:
    Food for thought in 2 points:

Blizzard has proven that they aren't really that good at server technology. The servers went down for a long period and still suffer from downtime. If they cannot fix such a basic thing, what guarantees D3 gamers have of them having a strong server security in the first place, considering that any game using real money always attracts the seedy part of the internets?

If Diablo3 had been developed and published by another publisher like EA or Ubisoft and was called something else but everything else remained equal, would people be so fervent in defending the game then?

I'm starting to think D3 may have been the first observable game that sold on name and name alone.

How do you figure that? They ran a MMO that at peak ran very reliably with what 12 million active accounts. The crappy launch D3 server status is more or less a given. They aren't going to have that kind of demand in say 4 months, so they don't get it on launch. Granted I think it is obvious they scaled it back too much, but in general that is something that will happen with any popular game.

As for defending the game, I don't really feel the need to. I am having a lot of fun playing it with friends. I don't feel it is game of the year or anything, but good fun as the servers are stable.

104. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 18:01 Creston

Creston wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:53:
    Dev wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:42:
    I wonder if activision pays some of the fanboys to go around posting that stuff. I know that there are real life people who are really genuinely that rabid about blizzard, but it wouldn't surprise me if some are paid too.

I doubt even Bobby Kotick is dumb enough to actively antagonize his customers. That sort of behavior NEVER leads to anything good in the end.

Creston

103. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 17:57 JohnnyRotten

I can't wait for the character rollback, even for toons who only ever used in sp.

Good times.

102. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 17:57 Trevellian

I want to know where half of you get your information about "Server downtime" for D3.
    Other than midnight release, and an hour or two later that day I have witnessed ZERO downtime for D3. A quick server reboot to fix something here and there? Yes. The other night they gave a 5 minute warning for a server shutdown. I disconnected, reconnected 2 minutes later and was playing.

I'd much rather have this for fixing problems than waiting 3 or 4 months for a Patch that may or may not fix shit and causes more problems (I'm looking at Battlefield 3 on this one, a game that requires you to own Origin but doesn't utilize the fact that they could patch fixes more often with it)

For the Republic
    -C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

101. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 17:54 ASeven

Dev wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:53:
    I'm starting to think D3 may have been the first observable game that sold on name and name alone.
    You don't game enough then
    What about CoD games?

Hehe true but CoD didn't have a 12 years wait between sequels.

100. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 17:53 Dev

You don't game enough then
    What about CoD games?

99. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 17:53 Beamer

I haven't played yet, but a lot of these general gameplay complaints sound like they'd fit D1/D2, as well. Ones that do concern me, though:

- Account hacking. Duh
    - Rubber banding and latency
    - Lack of enemy variety (though this is coming from a source that isn't seeming too valid here)
    - Lack of interesting items

Let's be honest, D1/D2 gameplay was pretty shallow and stupid; you basically clicked a billion times with your mouse while desperately slamming hotkeyed potions. It was marginally more involved than MMORPG gameplay (yet still counted as a game to me, whereas the combat in MMORPGs doesn't fit my definition.) The exploration was a draw, at least the first time through, and the item collecting crack was really what kept you there (which is why I never understood how item hackers kept playing - what fun was it when you already had the best stuff?)

The rubber banding, though, will keep me away for a while. Which is fine, I started Uncharted over the weekend and am enjoying it as much better than the sum of its just-ok pieces, even if I think the camera made me nauseous last night (first time ever for a video game!)

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

98. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 17:45 ASeven

Creston wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:53:
    Dev wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:42:
    I wonder if activision pays some of the fanboys to go around posting that stuff. I know that there are real life people who are really genuinely that rabid about blizzard, but it wouldn't surprise me if some are paid too.

I doubt even Bobby Kotick is dumb enough to actively antagonize his customers. That sort of behavior NEVER leads to anything good in the end.

97. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 17:43 ASeven

Food for thought in 2 points:

Blizzard has proven that they aren't really that good at server technology. The servers went down for a long period and still suffer from downtime. If they cannot fix such a basic thing, what guarantees D3 gamers have of them having a strong server security in the first place, considering that any game using real money always attracts the seedy part of the internets?

If Diablo3 had been developed and published by another publisher like EA or Ubisoft and was called something else but everything else remained equal, would people be so fervent in defending the game then?

256 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 8.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo