Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Hacking?

A bunch of threads on the Diablo III forums from players who've experienced unauthorized access to their accounts suggest their may be a security issue with the action/RPG sequel or that the game's future support of real-money auctions has attracted more hacking attempts than one would consider normal. The threads in question are: Ummm...all of my gold and items are gone, Hacked. GG Online Only Single Player DRM, Hacked with an authenticator, and The hacker found (with screenshot). Thanks nin.

View
256 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

156. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 21:49 Kosumo

A bit more thinking and I'd say that Dragon Age 2 sold manly on name too. Also SW:TOR

There are heaps of games over the years which have sold large at thier launch (not all at same level as Diablo 3, which came out in 2012 so is fresh in your mind)

Your statement "I'm starting to think D3 may have been the first observable game that sold on name and name alone." is just very shallow thinking and I'd say is more about your personal views towards large publishers and games company than anything else.

The fact that it had a '3' in the name make me think that they are keen to use the 'Diablo' name in selling their game or else they may have gone with a name like "Tristram"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

155. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 21:13 MattyC

Orogogus wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:28:
Slashman wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:44:
I don't get it, but I'm sure someone will tell me I'm crazy if I say it. Starcraft was a good game in its time and so was D1 and D2. But they weren't 'earth-shattering, world-creating' good. World of Warcraft is the most bewildering success story I have ever seen and I have no real explanation for it.

SC/SC2/D1/D2/WC/WC2/WC3 (and apparently WoW for a good stretch) ran on relatively low specs for their time. At my workplace people were able to play them on their work computers, which were bottom line machines not bought with gaming in mind. Turns off hardcore PC gamers, but appeals to everyone else.

And aside from that, they're simple to play -- the polish helps -- and Blizzard knows how to make a summer blockbuster movie in game form while exposing hints of a broader lore. I know people were saying that story doesn't matter in an ARPG, but with regards to TL1, god damn but I didn't care about the Ember, the girl, her teacher, or anything else in the game. I can't speak to WoW or D3, but in their other games they've done a good job of putting in the extra bit of work to make the world at least a little interesting. Even in D1, which had barely any cutscenes to speak of, there was decently-written background lore in the manual.

The story is hardly amazing, but it is much better than average in the ARPG world. I did push on a bit faster to see how it wrapped up.

154. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 21:02 ASeven

Kosumo wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:58:
ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:54:
Dev wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:53:
ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:43:
I'm starting to think D3 may have been the first observable game that sold on name and name alone.
You don't game enough then
What about CoD games?

Hehe true but CoD didn't have a 12 years wait between sequels.

Doom 3, Duke Nukem Forever, Spore, Carmaggedon 3, some of the NFS games, too add a few.

You should try to think a bit harder next time (or always)

None of them to the exception of perhaps Doom 3 had the weight at release Diablo 3 carried at release as well.

That think line you said, it's not me who should do the thinking apparently, it's you.

153. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 20:58 Kosumo

ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:54:
Dev wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:53:
ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:43:
I'm starting to think D3 may have been the first observable game that sold on name and name alone.
You don't game enough then
What about CoD games?

Hehe true but CoD didn't have a 12 years wait between sequels.

Doom 3, Duke Nukem Forever, Spore, Carmaggedon 3, some of the NFS games, too add a few.

You should try to think a bit harder next time (or always)

152. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 20:53 Orogogus

Prez wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:41:
Something is wrong when every major story pertaining to a long-awaited blockbuster game are about things like DRM, server outages and account hacking. What are the odds that someone new to the series and considering buying it is going to want to subject themselves to all these potential pitfalls, especially when all of what they read about the game references exactly that?

People new to the series generally don't know what DRM or server outages are, or why they should be outraged. It's the series that defines the genre. Anecdotally speaking, I know several people who've jumped on board not knowing anything about the games (or indeed, games in general), and none from that demographic who've been dissuaded by always-online. The commercial trailers seem to weigh a lot more than the user Metacritic scores or Kotaku articles. It's the people not new to the series that they have to worry about.

151. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 20:41 Prez

I don't think that observation is related to Blizzard or Diablo at all... This is just the state of the world now... Even this site is a good example of it... Every story/product about anything people are interested in gets scrutinized like crazy, and that's not likely to ever let up...

It is related to Blizzard insofar as it was their decision to make the game completely online, thus subjecting it to these external considerations needlessly. I agree with you about security in general, but that is all the more reason to have released the game with an offline option for people like myself who don't give a damn the online features. Something is wrong when every major story pertaining to a long-awaited blockbuster game are about things like DRM, server outages and account hacking. What are the odds that someone new to the series and considering buying it is going to want to subject themselves to all these potential pitfalls, especially when all of what they read about the game references exactly that?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

150. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 20:34 ASeven

Alamar wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:19:
Prez wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:13:
Remember the days when a big game was released and the main story was the game itself, not the DRM, broken servers, and cash shop hacking? *SIGH*

Blizzard was better when they were game-makers first, not businessmen.

I don't think that observation is related to Blizzard or Diablo at all... This is just the state of the world now... Even this site is a good example of it... Every story/product about anything people are interested in gets scrutinized like crazy, and that's not likely to ever let up...

The thing people don't seem to understand about security, however, is that while they might (ignorantly) think you can just throw money at a problem and it'll go away, the security landscape is always changing... Some exploits discovered today weren't even conceived when some software was made, so how do you protect against the future?

Well like I've said, throwing money is useless but you do need it and you also need good people who know how to use it to try and future-proof as much as possible and keeping it updated. You need money but my point is that it's not about throwing money blindly, you need talent and hardware and you need people who use the money as best and optimally as they possibly can. That Activision did not so indicates that they more than likely had the financial but couldn't be bothered about the talent and hardware.

149. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 20:29 Flatline

Yifes wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:24:
Do you know how difficult it is to launch a project of this magnitude? You think every problem in the world can be solved by throwing money at it? Just because there's a problem, then there must be something sinister behind it? It's overwhelmingly negative attitudes like this, that every move a large company makes is an attempt to personally fuck you, that reeks of self entitlement.

I've helped overhaul banking systems, the california state lottery, and a lot of other *huge* IT projects that involved extensive data centers. I give Diablo 3's launch... oh... 6.5/10. They've shown significant improvement very fast, and I'll give them that.

Having said that, I know of at least a score of people I've personally worked with who would be capable of gearing up for a launch like this with minimal hiccups. The problem is, that costs money, real money, up front for infrastructure and for talent. The reason why we're seeing these problems is that someone high up decided that the cost to benefit ratio wasn't worth doing it right, and that's just a fact about the industry.

148. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 20:28 Orogogus

Slashman wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:44:
I don't get it, but I'm sure someone will tell me I'm crazy if I say it. Starcraft was a good game in its time and so was D1 and D2. But they weren't 'earth-shattering, world-creating' good. World of Warcraft is the most bewildering success story I have ever seen and I have no real explanation for it.

SC/SC2/D1/D2/WC/WC2/WC3 (and apparently WoW for a good stretch) ran on relatively low specs for their time. At my workplace people were able to play them on their work computers, which were bottom line machines not bought with gaming in mind. Turns off hardcore PC gamers, but appeals to everyone else.

And aside from that, they're simple to play -- the polish helps -- and Blizzard knows how to make a summer blockbuster movie in game form while exposing hints of a broader lore. I know people were saying that story doesn't matter in an ARPG, but with regards to TL1, god damn but I didn't care about the Ember, the girl, her teacher, or anything else in the game. I can't speak to WoW or D3, but in their other games they've done a good job of putting in the extra bit of work to make the world at least a little interesting. Even in D1, which had barely any cutscenes to speak of, there was decently-written background lore in the manual.

147. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 20:19 Alamar

Prez wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:13:
Remember the days when a big game was released and the main story was the game itself, not the DRM, broken servers, and cash shop hacking? *SIGH*

Blizzard was better when they were game-makers first, not businessmen.

The thing people don't seem to understand about security, however, is that while they might (ignorantly) think you can just throw money at a problem and it'll go away, the security landscape is always changing... Some exploits discovered today weren't even conceived when some software was made, so how do you protect against the future?

-Alamar

146. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 20:02 Mashiki Amiketo

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149539239#4

For what it's worth.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

145. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 19:55 Prez

Sepharo wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:44:
Release the Krovven!

actually he hasn't posted since Prez wished ill will to D3

He still hasn't unfriended me on Steam yet.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

144. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 19:53 ASeven

Sepharo wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:44:
Release the Krovven!

Ok you made me spill my juice on my keyboard. You, sir, owe me a keyboard now!

143. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 19:51 ASeven

It's overwhelmingly negative attitudes like this, that every move a large company makes is an attempt to personally fuck you, that reeks of self entitlement.

A reply to this part in specific. There's a reason why there's a ton of governemnt regulation on corporations. There's also a reason you see the syndrome of "gamer entitlement" in the gaming industry alone. That's because gamers are rather stupid to realize that responsibility lies not on us, consumers, but the corporations. You think it's entitlement? Giving opinions is entitlement now? Using free speech to express an opinion on a game is entitlement? Even if you didn't buy it nothing forbids me from having an opinion on it, and if I did buy it I demand a good game without problems. I gave them my money not the other way around, it's publishers who are entitled to my money and they have to earn it, not the other way around.

There's a reason you don't see the entitlement card being thrown around against consumers in any other industry. And the reason is, the consumers of those industries do have brains to understand that responsibility and entitlement lies solely on the companies and corporations and if they want their money they have to earn it.

Don't be stupid and give in to bullshit that is fed by publishers so they can avoid responsibility of their mistakes using the "gamer entitlement" card.

142. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 19:44 Sepharo

Release the Krovven!

141. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 19:44 Slashman

RollinThundr wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:59:
I really don't understand how Blizzard has survived as long as they have on really good cinematics and hype. SC2 is the same thing, a 10 year old game with a somewhat shinier coat of paint that still manages to look like it should have shipped in 06.

Even with the success of WoW all WoW is really is a carebear EQ in a warcraft skin, yet people flock to it due to a developer name on the box. I just can't understand how Blizzard has legions of fanboys when in reality all of their titles are really pretty mediocre.

Its a mystery, wrapped in a smokescreen, soaked in obfuscation.

All that said, I don't doubt that D3 is an OK game. I just don't get all the reviews saying its a 9/10 or 8/10. It's a generic ARPG that adds nothing, innovates nothing and has the usual Blizzard polish. How in the hell does something like that take 12+ years to make while the Witcher 2 took 4 years? How is clicking on stuff in D3 so much more satisfying than clicking on stuff in TL or Titan Quest?

Even the reviews that sing its praises say the story is crap and the narrative is laughable. But that stuff gets a hearty ignore, along with the always online requirements, and the rest of the game gets a huge thumbs up. So the generic, loot-chasing gameplay earns the game a 9, but it doesn't really do much that hasn't been done before(except take away attribute points and skill choices).

140. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 19:44 ASeven

ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:07:
As for the good ol' days, yeah I remember but you are forgetting a critical difference from then and now: Publishers have a lot more money now than they could dream back then. As such publishers today do have the financial means to create a server structure that could withstand D3's flood of gamers in the first day. That they didn't either smells of cutting costs or pure negligence and I'm not sure which one is worse when it comes to security.

Do you know how difficult it is to launch a project of this magnitude? You think every problem in the world can be solved by throwing money at it? Just because there's a problem, then there must be something sinister behind it? It's overwhelmingly negative attitudes like this, that every move a large company makes is an attempt to personally fuck you, that reeks of self entitlement.

No developer is immune from this. It's like when ANet released the GW2 beta. You have people complaining that ANET is dirty and hiding a shitty game because only pre-purchasers are allowed in the beta.

It's not that people don't have a right to complain. It's just that the magnitude of bitching and degree of resentment is disproportional to the offense. It's like the first world problem meme. And holy shit does it get annoying.

Yes the project for such an enterprise is huge, requires a lot of work and people and hardware and software and whatnot, but in the end they did have 12 years to prepare for a decent job at least.

As for a first world problem... sorry, I don't think corporations abusing their power to be such, it's a serious problem especially in the gaming industry where most gamers are spineless to do anything about it. Unless you consider corporations abusing their position a first world problem.

139. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 19:41 Cutter

Actually, most problems in this world can be solved by throwing money at them. The rich/big biz simply choose not to. And no one is saying the problems themselves are sinister, or even the motivations that cause them, that comes back to plain ol' greed. Most large companies moves are a personal attempt to fuck you. Fuck you out of your money and your power as a consumer. To give you the least amount possible for the greatest return for them. It's a wholly adversarial relationship. Those companies are not your friends and wouldn't cross the street to piss on you if you were on fire. The one and only reason any of them are involved in any charity work whatsoever is wholly for the tax breaks first and PR second.

What the fuck do you think just happened to America's economy? It sure as shit didn't occur because those parasites were being too altruisitc. Jesus, man!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

138. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 19:41 ASeven

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:18:
ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:07:

But those names don't have a strong appeal as Diablo has. Not even SimCity. Just look at the sales of Civ V and the sales of D3 in its first days and you can see Diablo is in a class of its own when it comes to brand recognizement.

As for the good ol' days, yeah I remember but you are forgetting a critical difference from then and now: Publishers have a lot more money now than they could dream back then. As such publishers today do have the financial means to create a server structure that could withstand D3's flood of gamers in the first day. That they didn't either smells of cutting costs or pure negligence and I'm not sure which one is worse when it comes to security.

Might want to go look at those numbers and numbers for other games, while you're still looking up the others.

I see you're still thinking that just because you throw money at network infrastructure you're going to get instant results. Even at throwing money at something you're going to have problems that you didn't forsee, oddly like the AT&T border routers crapping out. Haven't been paying attention to the net in general you wouldn't have seen that. "Server infrastructure" is a very small part in the grand scheme of things. That you don't understand it, means one of a few things.

Good grief, I knew The Sims sold well but that's a bit nuts. Shame SC4 didn't sell more than SC3000 though. The wikipedia list does show that The Sims overall seems to be the game carrying more power in the name and Half-Life and Starcraft as well. Still, Diablo is up there as well and D3 has already sold more than half the list if the 2 million pre-order numbers Blizzard threw is correct, not counting the sales after release. This corrects me that Diablo is surpassed by other names but is still on top and in the end I still am of the opinion Diablo 3 was sold more on name than substance and if my original point was true, D3 being made by another publisher, another dev and with a different name, still stands.

As for server structure, I may not be a IT and I do recognize my knowledge of servers is quite limited I do know a thing, without money you can't have anything that makes a server work well. You need money to mount the hardware, to hire the personnel to take care of it, to get the OS, to hire enough bandwidth, etc. In the end throwing money won't solve shit if you don't know how to apply it but you need money one way or the other and publishers have that money and more. If they have people who know how to apply it is a different matter altogether, my point is that they more than likely have enough money to do a decent work and make the correct decisions if they so want.

137. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 19:40 Orogogus

Oh man, I played D&D Heroes. Such a terrible plot. Spoiler:
No! Not the shopkeeper!

256 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo