Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well I'm here alone in the BlueTower, as MrsBlue wings her way to the west coast to see what it may possibly hold for our future. We'll be separated for four days, which is pretty much the longest we've been apart in pushing 18 years of living together. Weird to say the least.

R.I.P.: Bee Gees star Robin Gibb dies aged 62. Thanks Cutter.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Achromatized.
Jelly Escape.
Stories: Four climbers die on Everest.
Media: Wild CREEPER appeared.
Conan O’Brien and David Letterman Discuss Jay Leno.
Best of just for laughs 2011.
Follow-up: Annular Solar Eclipse Time-Lapse Video.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2012, 10:00 Ant

The Half Elf wrote on May 21, 2012, 14:38:
nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 11:44:
We'll be separated for four days, which is pretty much the longest we've been apart in pushing 18 years of living together. Weird to say the least.

Awwww...kinda sweet, Blue.

nin.... you know you could actually go over and knock on his door and take him out bowling.. or something?
What will Nin after Blue moves?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Monitor Troubles May 23, 2012, 01:43 Nucas

Tom wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:02:
PropheT wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:30:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club

After my friend bought one of those they're talking about in that thread, I picked up a Catleap myself; 2560x1440 27" IPS monitor for less than half of what a similar one costs here. It's a risk to buy it, since they're coming directly from Korea and warranty work would probably be too expensive to be worth it, but the monitors are beautiful and the price is great. IPS color quality on a decent gaming monitor at extremely high res.

You do need a pretty hefty video card to make it worthwhile, though.

I bought one of these recently and then a friend of mine did after I told him about my experience. It's definitely a risk, but 2560x1440 is really great. There are some downsides. I got one stuck pixel (green, only visible against dark backgrounds), though my friend got a perfect panel. The stand sucks and you have to disassemble the monitor a bit to remove it, but it's plenty doable. There is some backlight bleed, but only noticeable when viewing dark content.

Anyway, I'd buy one of these over again in a heartbeat. 2560x1440 is just that good. And the price is amazing. $345 shipped. You're looking at $850+ for a non-Korean monitor that does 2560x1440 and $1200+ for 2560x1600. And those expensive monitors aren't perfect by any means, judging by the reviews anyway.

Btw the thing that makes IPS worthwhile is the vertical viewing angle. Lesser panels like TN have relatively poor vertical viewing angle which makes the brightness look different from very slightly different angles. It's annoying to have to always sit up straight in order to see things properly. Maybe good if you're trying to improve your posture though.

oh man, that's spectacular. all the bullet points i was looking for. i'm using a 24" samsung 244t from 2006 or so. laggy, poor contrast ratio, all the other downsides of an early adoption monitor. thanks for this heads up.

34. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2012, 18:43 jdreyer

At work I have dual HP Compaq LA2405wg monitors. I really like them. 24 inch, 1920x1200, 16x10 ratio, decent color repro, and a good viewing angle for a TN. The stand telescopes vertically, too. I really like them.

Here's a review from Amazon:

First off, this is not a professional monitor. However, it is GOOD. For the sub $300 price, you get 24" and the much preferred 16:10 aspect ratio with 1920x1200 pixels. I have used it for various work related tasks and it really is nice. I've used it for watching movies, and I would give it a 8/10 there. Blacks could be blacker, and it doesn't have the viewing angles of an IPS monitor. But it also doesn't have the price of an IPS monitor either. This is the best monitor I have seen AT THIS PRICE POINT. I have a Dell WFP2408 IPS panel at work, and I would not recommend it over this one, unless you must have the color performance of an IPS panel.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

33. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2012, 12:29 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on May 22, 2012, 08:41:
I've not had a problem with dell displays, either. Way more reliable than the previously mentioned viewsonic...

When i was in IT we had issues with Dell's, but it has been a long time since I was the purchaser for that stuff!

I went to an Asus after my Samsung crapped (was under warranty by 2 weeks - got a brand new one) and I am really happy with my Asus. I think it is a 22 inch? I will check.

/Looks like it is the Asus VH236 (23 inches) and they are pretty reasonably priced and mine has been awesome. They now have speakers in them, but mine don't.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2012, 12:35.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

32. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2012, 10:17 Verno

Black looks grey on most TN panels and you get color shifting from just moving your head slightly, I don't know why anyone would knowingly choose one over an IPS panel. The prices on IPS panels have come down very reasonable levels, the response times are now on par and there are several manufacturers who make them.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

31. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2012, 08:47 Mr. Tact

Curiosity got the best of me, the Dell site failed me -- it only lists the PCs I bought, not the monitors. Is it just me or is that weird? Anyway, I went digging through my email, the second monitor was a U2410 24" purchased Oct 2010. I believe the email for the first was lost due to user error when messing around with POP sometime around 2006...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2012, 08:41 nin

I've not had a problem with dell displays, either. Way more reliable than the previously mentioned viewsonic...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

29. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2012, 08:26 Mr. Tact

I have two 24" 1920x1200 Dells (don't know the model numbers off the top of my head -- have them at home and I'm at work at the moment), I bought the second a year ago or so, the first 5 or 6 years ago. Both have been excellent and problem free.

I've been considering getting a 27" or 30", but haven't been able to convince myself it would be better.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

28. Re: Monitor Troubles May 21, 2012, 22:59 jimnms

I've pretty much ruled out the 23". I don't want to go smaller and I'd be giving up 1" of vertical height even with the added 1.5" width. So I'm looking for a 24" whether it's 16:10 or 16:9. So far I'm looking at the Dell U2412M, which is an eIPS 1920x1200 display or the ASUS VS248H-P. Everywhere I look the reviews are pretty much the same for both. The only complaint I see about the Dell is the anti-glare coating seems to bother some people. The ASUS being a TN panel has the typical viewing angle issues, and some complaints about the stand (which won't effect me as I'll be mounting it on an arm). I hope this monitor will power up tomorrow because I doubt I'll make up my mind tonight.

I'm still slightly leaning toward the Dell because of the higher resolution. I don't think the anti-glare coating will bother me. The monitor I had before this one was an anti-glare matte screen and sometimes I wish this one had it instead of being glossy.

Steam Profile

27. Re: Monitor Troubles May 21, 2012, 20:35 Jensen

My work has had to replace a bunch of Viewsonics that are only a couple of years old, but the Dells have worked great. I have a 30" Dell at home that is quite good, except the gamut is too high so some colors are wrong (avoid high gamut) My parents and brother each have a 20" Dell that has been running well for several years. (one had an issue that was fairly common for IPS monitors at the time where there was was a dark area across the top of the screen that looked like a watermark, so Dell shipped a new monitor and we shipped back the old monitor in that box)
Dells have more adjustable stands, and IMO they have a nicer overall design.

Input lag is hard to measure correctly. In this case where there is less than a frame of difference between two choices, I wouldn't worry about it... it may even be a testing error.

I hope Apple starts using IPS when they switch their laptops to retina displays... it really is much better than TN, though I'll admit I'm pickier than most.

26. Re: Monitor Troubles May 21, 2012, 20:04 Dades

nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:48:
but Viewsonic is just as great.

We went through some viewsonics here at work that sucked ass...not a week went by that we didn't have to call in at least one for service. I will never buy their stuff...

Viewsonic is bottom barrel in terms of quality control and warranty service. Their monitors are nothing special either, a rebranded Dell panel from Samsung and LG will be heads and tails above it in quality as most legitimate benchmarks show.

25. Re: Monitor Troubles May 21, 2012, 20:02 Tom

PropheT wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:30:

After my friend bought one of those they're talking about in that thread, I picked up a Catleap myself; 2560x1440 27" IPS monitor for less than half of what a similar one costs here. It's a risk to buy it, since they're coming directly from Korea and warranty work would probably be too expensive to be worth it, but the monitors are beautiful and the price is great. IPS color quality on a decent gaming monitor at extremely high res.

I bought one of these recently and then a friend of mine did after I told him about my experience. It's definitely a risk, but 2560x1440 is really great. There are some downsides. I got one stuck pixel (green, only visible against dark backgrounds), though my friend got a perfect panel. The stand sucks and you have to disassemble the monitor a bit to remove it, but it's plenty doable. There is some backlight bleed, but only noticeable when viewing dark content.

Anyway, I'd buy one of these over again in a heartbeat. 2560x1440 is just that good. And the price is amazing. $345 shipped. You're looking at $850+ for a non-Korean monitor that does 2560x1440 and $1200+ for 2560x1600. And those expensive monitors aren't perfect by any means, judging by the reviews anyway.

Btw the thing that makes IPS worthwhile is the vertical viewing angle. Lesser panels like TN have relatively poor vertical viewing angle which makes the brightness look different from very slightly different angles. It's annoying to have to always sit up straight in order to see things properly. Maybe good if you're trying to improve your posture though.

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2012, 19:50 zirik

dardin wrote on May 21, 2012, 11:54:
Four days without the wife. That my friend is called a man vacation.

good thing blue doesnt have kids to take care of.

23. Re: Monitor Troubles May 21, 2012, 19:02 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:26:
jimnms wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:27:
Need some quick monitor advice. My 22" (1680x1050) monitor seems to be dying, and it may only last another day or two.

Best gaming monitors 2012

I've been looking at monitors lately myself as well and I see a lot of great feedback on the Acer and BenQ 120hz monitors in both 24 & 27 inch.

From that article, the one listed as "The Best in 24 inch" is sold out at major online stores. I wouldn't buy from some of the others it is avail at.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

22. Re: Robin Gibb died May 21, 2012, 18:30 Cutter

Creston wrote on May 21, 2012, 14:33:
I guess he didn't manage to

*puts on sunglasses*

Stay Alive.

YEEAAAAHHHHHH

/too soon?

Creston

Yes, too soon dammit! I love the Bee Gees. I actually bought me mum The Bee Gees One Night Only for Xmas. I grew up on the Bee Gees. Those guys wrote just an incredible amount of amazing music and had such fantastic harmonies. I miss them.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: Monitor Troubles May 21, 2012, 18:29 jimnms

Creston wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:45:
So if I understand you right, both your monitor AND PC were having troubles starting up? If so, I'd first swap out your UPS or power strip and see if that's the culprit.

As for monitors, I'm not really sure that IPS is really worth it. They're quite a bit more expensive, and I have one currently, and I'm really just not seeing the difference. Don't get me wrong, it's a FANTASTIC monitor (or rather I should say TV, as I just bought a 32" IPS LED), but I don't really see that this whole IPS stuff does anything my old viewsonic wasn't doing.

In my opinion, Dell is overpriced. They are good monitors (I have a 30" at work, great piece of equipment), but Viewsonic is just as great.

As for the difference between 16:9 and 16:10, eh, I never notice it. People went ballistic over the black bars on top and bottom in FEAR2, and I just never noticed them. They were there, but I had to actively look for them to see them.

I can heartily recommend Viewsonic. If you want to look at a TV for a monitor, get a Panasonic Viera. I have two of them (32" LED and 46" plasma), brilliant picture, never any issues, just great stuff.

Other than that, it's really just down to personal preferences. Viewsonic makes an awesome 27" monitor that I was going to buy when I wound up with the 32" Viera instead.

Creston

I'm just having monitor problems. The PC is finished booting before the monitor comes alive. The power indicator shows that it's on, but the backlight isn't on. I also hear a slight high pitch whine coming from it when it's off/standby that goes away when it turns on (even though the backlight hasn't come on yet).

I didn't pick out that monitor because it's IPS, it was just one of the first that I found when looking for a 1920x1200 monitor, and I like what I'm reading from reviews. It's an eIPS, which is sort of an in between TN and a true IPS panel. As for IPS vs TN, the last two monitors I've had were TN panels. The one before this was a 20" and I didn't have any problems with it, but with this 22" I do notice the vertical viewing issues.

Dell monitors are only expensive if you buy them from Dell. They're $50-$100 cheaper at places like NewEgg and Amazon.

Steam Profile

20. Re: Monitor Troubles May 21, 2012, 18:26 Cutter

jimnms wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:27:
Need some quick monitor advice. My 22" (1680x1050) monitor seems to be dying, and it may only last another day or two.

Best gaming monitors 2012

I've been looking at monitors lately myself as well and I see a lot of great feedback on the Acer and BenQ 120hz monitors in both 24 & 27 inch.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Monitor Troubles May 21, 2012, 17:30 PropheT

We went through some viewsonics here at work that sucked ass...not a week went by that we didn't have to call in at least one for service. I will never buy their stuff...

I bought a Viewsonic 27" last year, and it's awful. I'll never buy another one. It was the cheapest 27" around, and unfortunately it lived up to it in color quality.

18. Re: Monitor Troubles May 21, 2012, 17:13 Creston

So combofix breaks your computers, AND your Viewsonic monitors die. I hate to say it, nin, but it's just YOU that's causing all this.

Creston

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2012, 16:32 jdreyer

dardin wrote on May 21, 2012, 11:54:
Four days without the wife. That my friend is called a man vacation.

A Mancation in Manstovia.

Well, Blue has Diablo and Hudson to keep him company, assuming he doesn't get hacked or get an error 37, of course.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2012, 16:42.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo